• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

I needed one last push to finally subscribe to PS+, I guess Sony provided it last night, lol. I'll probably do it once I get my hands on a PS4 though. Which could be launch day, we'll see.

GorillaJu

I just saw in Gaming that the PS4 is region-free, according to SCEI.

Yes, I saw that as well. That's the most important factor above all else for me. If you live abroad from your home country, it's hell trying to navigate which games are in English, which ones have English support, which ones I don't need English for, the release dates are different and sometimes it takes months later for them to come out in Japan, and vice versa.

That it's so easy on my PS3 and Vita to both a) go to the electronics store and buy software carts/discs and b) access the US PSN store for digital purchases is the single biggest reason I have a PS3 and not an X360.

Rad-

I don't think I'm buying either of the consoles. At least not in the first few years. Sony looks to have a better valued console but their game showing was very disappointing. It was a bit like MS conferences the past few years: show games that people know about already, talk "entertainment stuff", show multiplatform games etc.

I was shocked that MS actually had a good game showing but they messed it up with that hilarious price point.

GorillaJu

I don't think I'm buying either of the consoles. At least not in the first few years. Sony looks to have a better valued console but their game showing was very disappointing. It was a bit like MS conferences the past few years: show games that people know about already, talk "entertainment stuff", show multiplatform games etc.

I was shocked that MS actually had a good game showing but they messed it up with that hilarious price point.

I agree that the software showing as a tad sparse. But like I said I don't base my opinions off software showings at conferences because I expect there to be great games regardless. I'll be buying at launch not because I absolutely have to have the launch games but because I love getting new hardware and now I know it ticks the boxes in terms of features.

Salazar

ZiMVrHw.jpg

Holy shit Destiny looks good

Watch Dogs looked good as well, and I know I'll love Infmaous and Killzone even though they were hardly mindblowing. Price is good if a little annoying with the conversion,and I lost the avatar bet for the 'pay to play online,' but can't remember who I made the bet with.

The Last Guardian is dead

Logically, the Xbox One should be DOA :p

Clegg

All stories coming out of Spain are saying Cesc is happy at Barca and Barca want Cesc to stay. So I don't know where the Mail and the Telegraph are getting their stories from.

Salazar

All stories coming out of Spain are saying Cesc is happy at Barca and Barca want Cesc to stay. So I don't know where the Mail and the Telegraph are getting their stories from.

words are wind, mothafucka

I refuse to believe that Irwin is in the loop, though. lol.

bjaelke

getting ps4 day zero. Not sure which games to get though (Infamous isn't launch windows anymore right?).

It's 2014.

Announced launch day games:

Xbox One

Ryse
Forza
Mine Craft
Dead Rising 3
Kinnect Sports Rivals

PS4

Killzone: ShadowFall
Drive Club
Knack
The Witness
Warframe

Both

WatchDogs
Assassins Creed 4
NBA2K14
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty Ghost
NBA Live
Fifa 14
Need for Speed: Rivals
Madden 25

fuenf

It could still be a success. What they need is content.

It's like Barca after they lost the first leg. Oh...

Well unlike Barca MS can simply throw unlimited amounts of money at it to turn the tide. The only reason why I think it might still fail, is not because of the PS4, DRM or Games but because the conquer the living room strategy seems out of touch and deeply flawed. Smart TVs, Entertainment Cloud Services, Tablets and IPTV are the future (just look at the rumoured tv stuff Intel is trying to do, it'll blow the Xbone out of the water).

Holy shit Destiny looks good

Watch Dogs looked good as well, and I know I'll love Infmaous and Killzone even though they were hardly mindblowing. Price is good if a little annoying with the conversion,and I lost the avatar bet for the 'pay to play online,' but can't remember who I made the bet with.

The Last Guardian is dead

Logically, the Xbox One should be DOA :p

It's not apparently. If anything it increases my hope it's being ported to PS4.

Batigol

Banned
Had a dream about David hassellhoff saving me while the baywatch song played in the background.

Not sure what to think about that

Surprised Sony didn't fuck up the pricing, unlike them to do something right.

They seem to have done everything right so far with the PS4 except for the rather large blemish that is pay-to-multiplay. And keeping 2 too many cards up their sleeve at the conference.

Wonder if the pay-to-multiplay stuff is subsidizing them selling the console at a loss

Badstuber had a surgery for the fourth time

sigh. I really doubt he will play ever again

The stuff they do in that surgery sounds like some crazy futuristic shit:
"Badstuber verzichtet allerdings auf die in den USA übliche Praxis, sich das Kreuzband eines Toten einsetzen zu lassen. Nach Rücksprache mit Bayern-Mannschaftsarzt Dr. Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt wird Steadman daher einen Teil der Patellasehne aus Badstubers linkem Knie entfernen und anstelle des Kreuzbandes ins rechte einsetzen."

I won't translate that because it's fucking hard to lol. Basically they are replacing his ligaments with a fibre from his other knee. If that shit works, that's pretty damn awesome. But that surely can't work that well, right? With a professional footballer's stress, I don't see that lasting until age 34.

Kenka

Badstuber had a surgery for the fourth time

sigh. I really doubt he will play ever again
If he and Papa don't get to play anymore, I would really a tear in the eye.

"Badstuber verzichtet allerdings auf die in den USA übliche Praxis, sich das Kreuzband eines Toten einsetzen zu lassen. Nach Rücksprache mit Bayern-Mannschaftsarzt Dr. Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt wird Steadman daher einen Teil der Patellasehne aus Badstubers linkem Knie entfernen und anstelle des Kreuzbandes ins rechte einsetzen."

I won't translate that because it's fucking hard to lol. Basically they are replacing his ligaments with a fibre from his other knee. If that shit works, that's pretty damn awesome.
Would not expect such news from a football thread. Has it been clarified if the hospital staff intended to grow ligament cells out of a sample, or if they plainly removed some stuff from his body to put it elsewhere ?

that's actually what you normally do.
OK, Wahrscheinlichkeit of the former drops.

spidye

I won't translate that because it's fucking hard to lol. Basically they are replacing his ligaments with a fibre from his other knee. If that shit works, that's pretty damn awesome.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreuzbandriss#Operative_Behandlung

Bei der Kniescheibensehne (fachsprachlich: Patella(r)sehne, Ligamentum patellae) handelt es sich um eine sehr große und starke Sehne, sie stellt daher in vielen Fällen das Mittel der Wahl dar. Sie ist aber nur halb so elastisch wie das natürliche eigene Kreuzband. Bei der Rekonstruktion des Kreuzbandes mittels autologer Transplantation der Kniescheibensehne wird diese mit anhängenden Knochenteilen (engl.: bone tendon bone = Knochen-Sehne-Knochen; BTB-Technik) entnommen und durch verbreiterte Kanäle (8–10 mm Durchmesser) im Schienbein beziehungsweise Oberschenkelknochen gezogen. Die Länge des oberen und unteren Knochenblocks beträgt jeweils etwa 20 mm. Die stabilste Verankerung der Knochenenden des autologen Transplantats (engl.: graft = Transplantate ohne Blutversorgung, weshalb sowohl hier als auch bei der im folgenden Abschnitt näher erläuterten Semitendinosustechnik von autograft gesprochen wird, mit griechisch αὐτός = selbst) wird durch die Fixation mit sogenannten Interferenzschrauben erreicht. Diese ist besonders wichtig im Hinblick auf eine frühe funktionelle Mobilisierung.

Die Unterstützung nach der Operation mittels einer orthopädietechnischen Schiene (Orthese) ist häufig nicht nötig, so dass die Gefahr der Muskelatrophie geringer ist als bei anderen Verfahren. Dieser Vorteil ist insbesondere für Sportler interessant, die eine frühzeitige Rückkehr zu alter Leistung wünschen.

Da die Kniescheibensehne nur halb so dehnbar ist wie das eigentliche Kreuzband, kann es bis zu 18 Monate dauern, bis wieder an sogenannten „Stop-and-go“-Sportarten teilgenommen werden kann.

18 months rehab. holy shit

Well I have no idea about that. Just sounded like that's something special in that article.

Edit: From the Wikipedia article that doesn't sound like the normal therapy after a ligament damage for football players. Badstuber's is really fucked. A shame but that doesn't sound like he'll be able to play top class football anymore to me.

Clegg

This Lions game is a joke.

They're winning 19-0 after only 13 minutes. This opposition team is comprised of a lot of amateurs and pros only on the fringes of their teams.

This Lions game is a joke.

They're winning 19-0 after only 13 minutes. This opposition team is comprised of a lot of amateurs and pros only on the fringes of their teams.

What's the point of these two last matches? Marketing? Confidence-boosters? I can't imagine a huge number of lessons being learnt by them

sohois

All of the Lions games thus far have been a joke; they've just been training exercises masquerading as real games so they can sell tickets/TV.

Carbonox

I seriously can't decide what launch games to get. The ones I want are:

Killzone Shadow Fall
Watch Dogs
Assassin's Creed 4
FIFA 14
Battlefield 4

I'm thinking FIFA, Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed. Or maybe YOLO and get all 5.

Kenka

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreuzbandriss#Operative_Behandlung

18 months rehab. holy shit
Perfect accordance with the damaged tissue is one great reason why the auto-transplantation theme is so hot right now. It could virtually undo any trauma done to your body as long as you won't be in danger to die during the actual growth of the cells in laboratory.

That opens a can of worms when it comes to ethics though. The rich will be able to store their organs in advance to have them at disposal immediately in case of grave injury, resulting in a higher life expectation. A news that is a bit hard to stomach, especially when you get to see by yourself the proportion of asocial assholes are in their ranks.

spidye

Well I have no idea about that. Just sounded like that's something special in that article.

Edit: From the Wikipedia article that doesn't sound like the normal therapy after a ligament damage for football players. Badstuber's is really fucked. A shame but that doesn't sound like he'll be able to play top class football anymore to me.

I'M not sure if this is the normal therapy for football players or not but badstuber is seriously fucked.

Kenka

I seriously can't decide what launch games to get. The ones I want are:

Killzone Shadow Fall
Watch Dogs
Assassin's Creed 4
FIFA 14
Battlefield 4

I'm thinking FIFA, Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed. Or maybe YOLO and get all 5.
Just avoid EA stuff. Their ways to make business have made me reluctant to purchase their games. A 50M$ bribe for an exclusive on X1 ? Microsoft is stupid to have accepted such a deal. We don't even know if the game will turn alright and yet a substantial investment was done in that regard. Wouldn't have it been smarter to use this money as a subsidy to lower the console's price instead ?

Piss off EA and Microsoft.

Clegg

What's the point of these two last matches? Marketing? Confidence-boosters? I can't imagine a huge number of lessons being learnt by them
Its to get the Lions players familiar with each other. Lots of them wouldn't have played together before so it takes a few games for the players to work out their combinations and stuff.

Another problem is that regular league season is still ongoing so some of these teams will rest their best players for the league games instead of the Lions games.

And the best Australian players will be with the Australian team anyway. So they won't be playing in any of these warm up games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom