• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
PCTnoWd.jpg

RK7mYM3.jpg

im so excited

FootballFan

None of that matters Wilbz

You can ride around on a Rhyhorn.

A. Fucking. Rhyhorn.

Can you ride a Rapidash? If so, would you get burnt? If so, how do you heal yourself since the Pokemon Centre is for pokemon only. Burn Heal is for Pokemon only too.

Damn it, I'm going to have to find out now and try it as soon as I catch Rapidash. My character will probably die in a glorious flame, it will be worth it though.

Scum

Les mini-rosbifs got stooged by Israel ?

fuuuuuuuck lol

Shame that 'GAF was screwey when it happened. Fucking lol indeed. Can't wait for the excuses. Lol! They conceeded the goal with 10mins to go! Classic England.

Here's the line up from the BBC:

BBC said:
England U21: Steele, Clyne, Wisdom, Lees, Rose, Chalobah, McEachran, Zaha, Shelvey, Ince, Wickham.
Subs: Butland, Smith, Caulker, Dawson, Henderson, Lowe, Redmond, Delfouneso, Sordell, Rudd.

What if I keep dying? :( Don't think I could handle the shame.

I'll try and get Freewheelin' and my brother roped in on it, since you can apparently do splitscreen+online. If we do it on casual with 3/4 players we should breeze through it (in theory)

Would you mind starting at the halfway point? All of the chapters seem to take the exact same pattern, and the story is drivel anyway :p

Have you got a headset? Are you up for giving it a go now? I overslept so I'll be up until like 9am probably :D

Salazar

They've already started.

Pearce blamed the non availability of Jones, Chamberlain etc.

'I honestly don't believe I should be here answering questions on behalf of them.
'They should be here answering questions on why their performances were so poor, to be honest with you.
'I don't think it's my responsibility at this stage to answer for a performance as bad as that.

It's turbo-Redknapp.

Scum

They've already started.

Pearce blamed the non availability of Jones, Chamberlain etc.

My good God! Bunch of fuckwits at the FA, from top to bottom. So long as the EPL is raking it in, the old stooges will not give a fuck.

I want to see the senior team fail to qualify for Brazil next year.

So Pearce is the ultimate 'bad youth manager?'

Tactics that don't develop players
Tactics that don't suit players
Tactics that don't beat decent teams
Openly shifts all blame onto the players

Its Roy Hodsgon at Liverpool all over again, except in a position where he has a massive effect on their careers.

Honestly, that should be the end of his management career at any level.

FootballFan

I'll try and get Freewheelin' and my brother roped in on it, since you can apparently do splitscreen+online. If we do it on casual with 3/4 players we should breeze through it (in theory)

Would you mind starting at the halfway point? All of the chapters seem to take the exact same pattern, and the story is drivel anyway :p

Have you got a headset? Are you up for giving it a go now? I overslept so I'll be up until like 9am probably :D

I've already completed them mate!

I can't right now. Ask me when I'm signed in.

FUUUUUCK, didn't even think about it being a spoiler (or sorts). Sorry guys. I should be banned. :( Mumei pls.

It's okay. :(

You're lucky you aren't a Madrid fan.

Meier

Why sign a right back on a 5 year deal who won't play over Rafael?

Wage is probably next to nothing (maybe 2-3k a week or something) so even if they loan him out for a few years any team taking him can surely afford to pay for him. Can't hurt.

I don't know how he's getting a work permit though.. that doesn't make much sense.

Clegg

Funnily enough Pearce is also the coach that brought England to its best finish in the under 21 Euros since the early 1980's.

They got to the final of the 2009 competition where they lost 4-0 to a German team which included Neuter, Boeteng, Hummels, Khedira and Ozil.

The England team contained luminaries such as Nedem Onouha, Martin Cranie, Adam Johnson and Lee Cattermole.

Scum

So Pearce is the ultimate 'bad youth manager?'

Tactics that don't develop players
Tactics that don't suit players
Tactics that don't beat decent teams
Openly shifts all blame onto the players

Its Roy Hodsgon at Liverpool all over again, except in a position where he has a massive effect on their careers.

Honestly, that should be the end of his management career at any level.

The real disturbing thing about England's football, from yoot to grown ups, is that there is no understanding of the simple basics of football AT ALL.

No playing style.
No strategy.
No proper formation.

And no coaches and mentors good enough to enforce these. Fucking pathetic.

sohois

I think Pearce has a point about the players not performing; Nothing particularly changed from the qualifiers when England were incredibly dominant so the players should definitely take some blame.

That's not to say Pearce did well in his management, but he is not entirely to blame - in much the same way that Hodgson, Capello, Mclaren, etc. were not entirely to blame.

Clegg

Anyone else beginning to think the development of Paul Scholes was a bit if a fluke?

He's the only English player in the last 15 years with the technical qualities to rank alongside the worlds best deeper lying mid fielders.

Scum

Pearce will be fully blamed, even though he has a point, Hoddle will get the job and the cycle will begin.

Anyone else beginning to think the development of Paul Scholes was a bit if a fluke?

He's the only English player in the last 15 years with the technical qualities to rank alongside the worlds best deeper lying mid fielders.

Probably because Scholes didn't waste most of his time in tattoo parlours, on PSN and on Xbox Live pissing around on FIFA.

Well, yeah. If Scholes wasn't so ridiculously good as a goal-scoring number 10, I doubt he'd ever have gotten a chance in midfield. Remember, United almost swapped him for Shearer, and he only dropped back when Keane got a long-term injury.

Clegg

Well, yeah. If Scholes wasn't so ridiculously good as a goal-scoring number 10, I doubt he'd ever gotten a chance in midfield. Remember, we almost swapped him for Shearer, and he only dropped back when Keane got a long-term injury.
Scholes was fabulously talented. But it must be concerning for England that they still don't have a midfielder that can come anywhere near his skill set. The great white hope for England is Wilshere but you have to wonder if he'll ever actually be able to stay got enough to reach his potential.

And all the while Spain and Germany are pumping out prodigies left, right and centre. Germany and England were in similar positions after Euro 2000 but 13 years German youth development is miles ahead of England's.

:lol at Paddy Power taking bets on which next-gen console will sell the most in 2013.

The betting shop said it slashed its odds on the PS4 outselling its rival after hearing about the substantial £80 saving it offers punters.

"There's still a long way to go but the huge variation in price has certainly handed the advantage to Playstation," said a spokesperson for Paddy Power. The odds on the PS4 winning changed from 4/11 to 2/9. The Xbox, now seen as an outside bet, had odds of 15/8 and is now at 11/4.

Paddy Power told The INQUIRER that more money is actually being laid on the Xbox One. It said, "Interestingly the punters don't seem to be in agreement with our odds with over 60 percent of the money we've seen so far been placed on the Xbox One outselling the PS4. At the moment we're holding firm on our odds but if the one way traffic continues we'll have to reconsider them."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...ower-puts-ps4-ahead-of-xbox-one-in-sales-race

DominoKid

usagoal2_medium.gif

American ingenuity!

vs Panama. so what it counts lol

The real disturbing thing about England's football, from yoot to grown ups, is that there is no understanding of the simple basics of football AT ALL.

No playing style.
No strategy.
No proper formation.

And no coaches and mentors good enough to enforce these. Fucking pathetic.

as an outsider it's comical. if i were English i'd be ready to give up the damn game.

Scholes was fabulously talented. But it must be concerning for England that they still don't have a midfielder that can come anywhere near his skill set. The great white hope for England is Wilshere but you have to wonder if he'll ever actually be able to stay got enough to reach his potential.

And all the while Spain and Germany are pumping out prodigies left, right and centre.
Germany and England were in similar positions after Euro 2000 but 13 years German youth development is miles ahead of England's.

this is what blows my mind. these days Germany and Spain have ballers falling out of trees basically. England has to go fanatical about any player that just shows a lick of World Class potential.

Nesotenso

Premier league doesn't have enough English guys playing significant roles. Doesn't help their growth. BPL has money and willingness to add players from other countries than either Spain or Germany.

Premier league doesn't have enough English guys playing significant roles. Doesn't help their growth. BPL has money and willingness to add players from other countries than either Spain or Germany.

The EPL has more foreign players than Spain or Germany, but the difference isn't that large, especially if you don't count players from across the UK and Ireland as foreign. It's a distraction from the real issue, which is their FA, myopic coaches and youth development system, and general lack of unified tactics and playing style.

bjaelke

Aston Villa are close to signing both Helenius and Okore.

It's like last night didn't happen at all. Wes, you can still go back. It's not too late!

sohois

Didn't England have a really dominant U-17 side not too long ago? They won both the WC and the Euros if I'm remembering correctly - back when Wickham and McEachran were in it.

Salazar

I'm sure all City's academy talent will drive down that average.

Oh. Unless they just keep splurging on greedmonsters every summer.

rodvik

The EPL has more foreign players than Spain or Germany, but the difference isn't that large, especially if you don't count players from across the UK and Ireland as foreign. It's a distraction from the real issue, which is their FA, myopic coaches and youth development system, and general lack of unified tactics and playing style.

Agreed. This whole "depleted squad" bollocks is just that. England has a massive talent base to draw from and at the top level they get to play weekly with the worlds best who are imported. That is a positive for development not a negative.

These players can play beautiful football at their clubs. When it comes to the national team(s) then clearly the blame should be on the people running the national teams.

The problem is Hodgson and Pearce's myopia when it comes to selecting who to play. Every English club (and most scottish & welsh) has some English players who they regard as worthy of a call up. Try them instead of the usual suspects. I know my club closely so it is clear to me the likes of Lowton & Westwood are well deserving of a chance, I am sure every club , PL or otherwise, has similar players. All you have to do is look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom