• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

confuziz

Banned
I don't understand you guys. You have the PSV expert right here and I've told you several times what kind of player Strootman is.

In reality, he is the player you need. I don't like United, but that's the truth. He is a dynamic central midfielder that closes the gap between the defense and the offense. Perfect player for counterplay as well.

He has the willpower of Suarez (in a good way), the calmness of Xavi/Iniesta and he can deliver passes like Pirlo. He isn't the fastest around but he compensates that by good positioning and good marking. He fights for every battle and wants to win every match no matter what.

Don't listen to bud or other people. I've seen him play around 70-80 times, including 3 (or 4) times live at the PSV Stadium. I know what I'm talking about.

kharma45

Well how good he is/isn't is something we will find out in due time.

I would disagree when you say he wouldn't add much quality though. He is a far superior player to Cleverley or Anderson. Jones and Giggs shouldn't even be playing in CM so I won't even bother comparing him to them.

BTW I agree £17m is a bit steep but he's easily worth something like £12-£13m IMO. £17m would be a bit steep but we tend to over-pay anyways.

I wouldn't go as far to as as far superior. He could be better but not by a whole lot and not at the price being thrown around. Agreed that Jones and Giggs shouldn't be allowed near CM. If we got him for sub-£10m maybe it'd be worth a gamble but I'd rather see someone like Felliani who is a known quantity in the PL. For someone from the Dutch league to come into our midfield and start they'd have to be running the show, which Strootman doesn't appear to do at PSV.

I'd be interested to hear Eredivise fans views on him. I know we've had them before but I've forgotten who has said what about him.

kharma45

I don't understand you guys. You have the PSV expert right here and I've told you several times what kind of player Strootman is.

In reality, he is the player you need. I don't like United, but that's the truth. He is a dynamic central midfielder that closes the gap between the defense and the offense. Perfect player for counterplay as well.

He has the willpower of Suarez (in a good way), the calmness of Xavi/Iniesta and he can deliver passes like Pirlo. He isn't the fastest around but he compensates that by good positioning and good marking. He fights for every battle and wants to win every match no matter what.

Don't listen to bud or other people. I've seen him play around 70-80 times, including 3 (or 4) times live at the PSV Stadium. I know what I'm talking about.

Cheers, interesting to read from a PSV fans perspective.

Thank your for your interesting biased opinion.

His opinion is as valid as yours, both will have some degree if bias.

Nyx

Thank your for your interesting biased opinion.

Tbh I feel he didn't grow since he left Utrecht.

The Strootman that controlled the game vs Ajax in that season has never been seen again if you ask me.

Oh, I AM biased though, just a tiny little bit...

I wouldn't go as far to as as far superior. He could be better but not by a whole lot and not at the price being thrown around. Agreed that Jones and Giggs shouldn't be allowed near CM. If we got him for sub-£10m maybe it'd be worth a gamble but I'd rather see someone like Felliani who is a known quantity in the PL. For someone from the Dutch league to come into our midfield and start they'd have to be running the show, which Strootman doesn't appear to do at PSV.

I'd be interested to hear Eredivise fans views on him. I know we've had them before but I've forgotten who has said what about him.
Fellaini is a known quantity but remember he cost £16m from Standard Liege and had achieved much less than Strootman already has.

Add to the fact that Fellaini is a poor footballer in comparison to somebody like Strootman. Not awful but much more clanky.

I agree with KidA when he says we need somebody to give us a spark and that would be the other midfield player I'd like us to buy. But we do need another good defensive player who is good on the break and in possession.

Clegg

Moyes is following the Fergie template too closely.

You don't need to be exactly like him Moysey.

Btw if we don't spend that much this summer then I'll be very concerned.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Modric the latest from the RM camp to speak about Bale.

1281429184_bird-struggles-with-fish.gif

confuziz

Banned
Tbh I feel he didn't grow since he left Utrecht.

The Strootman that controlled the game vs Ajax in that season has never been seen again if you ask me.

Oh, I AM biased though, just a tiny little bit...

Tbh, last season he was playing with a guy that was over his top (van Bommel) and 2 guys (Wijnaldum/Toivonen) that add nothing to any team what so ever (except some goals).

He is doing all the work on his own. In an intelligent team with good spirit he can develop himself and be a leader on the field. It will work out just fine.

kharma45

Fellaini is a known quantity but remember he cost £16m from Standard Liege and had achieved much less than Strootman already has.

Add to the fact that Fellaini is a poor footballer in comparison to somebody like Strootman. Not awful but much more clanky.

I agree with KidA when he says we need somebody to give us a spark and that would be the other midfield player I'd like us to buy. But we do need another good defensive player who is good on the break and in possession.

achieved less how?

Wilbur

Banned

Fellaini cost 15m for a club with far less disposable income coming from a poorer league.

Confuziz's post is far more valuable than yours, mine or anyone else's on Strootman; biased it may be but there's no reason to believe there's a delusion behind it. I want him, and for 17m I'd take him. Is he worth that? No. But then Fernandinho isn't worth 34m, but it was worth it to improve the team immeasurably. If we have the money we should spend it. To say you'd rather give youth a chance to play there... who? Fucking Tunnicliffe? No no

achieved less how?
Strootman plays in a better quality league in a good team and is their key player. He's highly rated by the Dutch national team and is touted to be the teams future captain.

Fellaini came for a worse league and cost £16m. It's not that crazy to pay £17m for Strootman and he has as much if not more potential than Fellaini had then.

I don't think it's an incredible deal which screams value for money but it's not a bad shout at all.

Who would you like to see us sign in midfield btw?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
All this talk (by club presidents) about Bale is getting annoying. Someone buy him please so I don't have to listen to all that "He'd be great at <xyz>" talk anymore.

The only reason there is so much talk is because they all know the transfer is not going to happen this summer. They are laying the groundwork for next year where there is a more realistic chance of Bale pushing for the move.

Spurs are being linked with every midfielder under the sun this week. Barry, Bernard, Paulinho, Strootman, can we just sign one of these people already so we can shift Livermore and Parker?

Meier

Have a bit of a soft spot for De Gea now:
David De Gea has told Isco he would love life in Manchester - even if it is at rivals Manchester City.

The Malaga playmaker has been linked with a big-money move to the Etihad, with his former manager Manuel Pellegrini set to be confirmed as Roberto Mancini's successor within days.

And Manchester United goalkeeeper De Gea says Isco would like life in England.

"You never know what will happen, but I wish him well," said De Gea.

"What I want is for him to go where he is needed. Manchester is fine to live in and City, even though they are our opponents, are a great club."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...ake-man-city-switchby-man-united-star-199663?

Only just found out Froggie put Adnan on the bench in his last game.

FUCK how could I miss that magical moment in the clubs history.

You didn't watch the game? He would have played if the defense didn't fuck up so much. Fergie said something to him as he went back to the bench.

kharma45

Strootman plays in a better quality league in a good team and is their key player. He's highly rated by the Dutch national team and is touted to be the teams future captain.

Fellaini came for a worse league and cost £16m. It's not that crazy to pay £17m for Strootman and he has as much if not more potential than Fellaini had then.

I don't think it's an incredible deal which screams value for money but it's not a bad shout at all.

Who would you like to see us sign in midfield btw?

Yes Strootman plays in a better quality league relative to when Felliani was at Liège, but Felliani only spent two seasons there and has been at Everton ever since playing in a much, much better league. Directly comparing what two players have achieved playing in different leagues is too limited a scope and even then Belgium are only two places behind Holland in the league rankings.

Felliani was a gamble in a lot of ways for Everton to spend that amount of money on him, and I don't think it's the sort of risk a club like United should be taking. As for who I'd like to see us sign... I do believe we need a sort of box to box player who can break down attacks and then turn that into an attack for the team (which of course Strootman can do) but unless PSV were to significantly drop their asking price there is no point looking at him. Who it could be that would represent value now (and for the future) I will hold my hands up and say I don't know.

Fellaini cost 15m for a club with far less disposable income coming from a poorer league.

Confuziz's post is far more valuable than yours, mine or anyone else's on Strootman; biased it may be but there's no reason to believe there's a delusion behind it. I want him, and for 17m I'd take him. Is he worth that? No. But then Fernandinho isn't worth 34m, but it was worth it to improve the team immeasurably. If we have the money we should spend it. To say you'd rather give youth a chance to play there... who? Fucking Tunnicliffe? No no

I concur that Confuziz's post is more valuable that mine or another United fans but more than anyone else? No. Other who watch the Dutch league week in week out are equally as good. I never said that his post was delusional, only that there will be a certain element of bias in it coming from a PSV fan. I could of course end up being wrong about this but I don't see Strootman immeasurably changing the team and the idea of spending money just because we have some to throw around is foolish.

As for youth I still class Cleverly and Anderson into that department (just about) and whilst Anderson may be injury prone when he's fit and available he rarely gets a proper run in the team. Tunnicliffe won't make it, you're right about that. Will most likely end up in League One somewhere. Charni Ekangamene could be a decent prospect but might be too young yet.

GorillaJu

I saw the Pixies at a secret show in a tiny venue the day before Coachella 2004. The Moving Units opened for them. It was fucking magical.

Nyx

I do believe we need a sort of box to box player who can break down attacks and then turn that into an attack for the team (which of course Strootman can do) but unless PSV were to significantly drop their asking price there is no point looking at him.

Strootman isn't really a box-to-box midfielder imo, more a defensive midfielder.

My totally unbiased opinion on a good box-to-box midfielder for the Premier League midtable or just below the top-4 :

jens_toornstra_oranje.jpg

Meier

From what little I've seen of Strootman, he appears slow as molasses. Honestly, a guy like Ferna would have done United very well. Strootman would be a typical and smart signing for United though. Young still and well regarded/capped.

Clegg

Being a United fan during the transfer window is a very vexing thing.

We have this huge financial power but we're restricted due to the debts imposed on us by the Glazers.

And we never have a bloody clue as to who our targets are either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom