• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korez

Definitely better than Nicky B, Nicky A and Iaquinta.
Or their :(

BLYI_cWCUAAYbUl.jpg:large

Randdalf

why do british stadiums look so boring?

There's actually a good answer to this. After the Hillsborough disaster, the Taylor Report resulted in all major football stadiums in the UK eliminating standing terraces. Now, at this stage, most stadiums in the UK were old and crumbling after decades of use. So a lot of clubs opted to build new stadiums rather than install seating in their old ones. This resulted in a period where many clubs were building new stadiums, but as they were often built for purpose and not for aesthetic beauty, a lot of them ended up using very similar designs, which were cheap and effective. So a lot of football stadiums in the UK, especially stadiums of clubs in the Championship and lower, tend to be rather homogeneous and forgettable. I've visited quite a few away grounds, Pride Park, The Riverside, The Valley, St. Mary's, etc... all these stadiums are boringly similar to each other.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Serious question. As I don't live in UK , why all the hate for Piers ? I suppose it goes beyond him cheering for Arsenal but never knew the exact reason.

He used to run a newspaper and he would have celebrities stalked and badgered, he would do the same to anyone he took a dislike to. He used to have a feud with the editor of a satirical magazine and had him followed everywhere and tried to phone up everyone he knew (inluding a local vicar) for dirt on him. Then there's the phone hacking stuff, and he was involved in some dubious share trading based on tips in his paper as well.

Besides his horribly slimy personality his most shameful act was printing crudely faked photos of alleged abuse of prisoners by UK military personnel. He's just horrible man.

Serious question. As I don't live in UK , why all the hate for Piers ? I suppose it goes beyond him cheering for Arsenal but never knew the exact reason.

He's famous, yet talentless at the same time. His CNN show is terrible and he was involved in the whole Phone hacking mess while he was Editor at The Mirror.

He's also one of the "Wenger Out" brigade.

Blablurn

There's actually a good answer to this. After the Hillsborough disaster, the Taylor Report resulted in all major football stadiums in the UK eliminating standing terraces. Now, at this stage, most stadiums in the UK were old and crumbling after decades of use. So a lot of clubs opted to build new stadiums rather than install seating in their old ones. This resulted in a period where many clubs were building new stadiums, but as they were often built for purpose and not for aesthetic beauty, a lot of them ended up using very similar designs, which were cheap and effective. So a lot of football stadiums in the UK, especially stadiums of clubs in the Championship and lower, tend to be rather homogeneous and forgettable. I've visited quite a few away grounds, Pride Park, The Riverside, The Valley, St. Mary's, etc... all these stadiums are boringly similar to each other.

wow! Didn't know that! Thanks for answering my question, mate!

Bumhead

Banned

Fucking hate the new grounds.

Coventry's is the worst of the lot. The worst stadium I've ever been to. And I've been to Luton.

K1LLER7

Manchester United reserve player Adnan Januzaj is expected to sign a new contract with the club, according to his agent.

Juventus and Barcelona are said to be interested in the highly-rated youngster but Januzaj's agent Dirk Devriese says he is likely to sign a new contract at Old Trafford.

Devriese told Het Laatste Nieuws : "We know Adnan is on the list of many clubs. But, my player was voted reserve team player of the year and was one of the star players on a few big youth tournaments.

"It's no surprise other teams are interested in him. Sir Alex Ferguson has told Adnan a few weeks ago that he can play in three positions in the midfield. They have worked hard on his weak points.

"We'll talk about a new contract in a month - his one is expiring in 2014. The retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson has delayed the negotiations, but if everything goes well, Adnan will stay a few years longer at Old Trafford.

"The club rewarded him with a squad number and he'll be part of the first squad next season."

-------
Adnan new deal soon :D

Adnan in the first squad next year...we aren't signing a midfielder.

Kenka

An extreme example would be the Stadium of Light. A 49'000 all-seater stadium that cost... £24million.
In comparison, The City of Manchester stadium, which actually aims at capturing the visitors' imagination, cost 150M£.

jordisok

Also from an Arsenal perspective; his poor journalistic track record has extended even to the fans he supposedly speaks for.

More here

Manchester United reserve player Adnan Januzaj is expected to sign a new contract with the club, according to his agent.

Juventus and Barcelona are said to be interested in the highly-rated youngster but Januzaj's agent Dirk Devriese says he is likely to sign a new contract at Old Trafford.

Devriese told Het Laatste Nieuws : "We know Adnan is on the list of many clubs. But, my player was voted reserve team player of the year and was one of the star players on a few big youth tournaments.

"It's no surprise other teams are interested in him. Sir Alex Ferguson has told Adnan a few weeks ago that he can play in three positions in the midfield. They have worked hard on his weak points.

"We'll talk about a new contract in a month - his one is expiring in 2014. The retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson has delayed the negotiations, but if everything goes well, Adnan will stay a few years longer at Old Trafford.

"The club rewarded him with a squad number and he'll be part of the first squad next season."

-------

#adnanthiagopowellfuture

TeegsD

Sporting hyping new signing on Facebook. Gonna be unveiled at 2:30EST. The only right guess would be that Ronnie wants to come home and lead us back to glory...

;_;

kharma45

-------

A few years? So gone by 21 :(

Cancelled my Last of Us preorder. Just can't conjure up an ounce of excitement whatsoever.

Im concerned that they've basically re-skinned Uncharted, and it will have all the same issues that Uncharted does. Its not that UC is a bad game but I want it to feel different to that and what i've seen so far hasn't filled me with much confidence.

After 3 PS3 games I wanted Naughty Dog to do something new, I personally don't want them to go back to UC. Leave it on Vita.

Wes

venison crêpe
Out of interest, how many people would be interested in doing a custom Football Manager league or tournament over the summer - simillar to what The Blizzard are doing now.

Add your name to the bottom of this so we can see exactly how many people are interested.

1. Wes

Bumhead

Banned
Out of interest, how many people would be interested in doing a custom Football Manager league or tournament over the summer - simillar to what The Blizzard are doing now.

Add your name to the bottom of this so we can see exactly how many people are interested.

1. Wes

I don't know what this is and would need further details, but:

1. Wes
2. Bumhead

Clegg

1. Wes
I'd be interested. Depends on what hours I have at work though.

1.Wes
2.Bumhead
3.Clegg

He used to run a newspaper and he would have celebrities stalked and badgered, he would do the same to anyone he took a dislike to. He used to have a feud with the editor of a satirical magazine and had him followed everywhere and tried to phone up everyone he knew (inluding a local vicar) for dirt on him. Then there's the phone hacking stuff, and he was involved in some dubious share trading based on tips in his paper as well.

Besides his horribly slimy personality his most shameful act was printing crudely faked photos of alleged abuse of prisoners by UK military personnel. He's just horrible man.
All this and more. He's a wretched piece of shit.

It's never good when agents start talking about interest in the players they represent.

Don't go Adnan.

Pls
You don't have Ferguson's bullying tactics to keep youngsters at the club anymore. Age and Pogba saw to that. It's all coming tumbling down, I'm afraid.

Zabojnik

So the Juvetic dream is over? Fuck. :( I blame it on Shake Appeal, who didn't want to give Jojo the no. 10 jersery. Congrats, Chelsea. May he serve you well.

jojostrap.gif

Awesome highlight reel of Pogba for Juve and France this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rggxgMkisFA

Compulsory viewing for fans of Juve, France, football, or Manchester United.

A fucking beast. And that red he got for France was total bullshit. Can't wait for the next season, nnnnnngh.

Wes

venison crêpe
I don't know what this is and would need further details, but:

Group of people playing FM in a custom league. Half Fantasy Football/Half Football Manager - you have a budget of £200m to spend on a squad of 18 current active playing players.

An auction is held first for the players to see who gets who.
Then using some database editing the teams are made and a custom league formed where we play one another with our teams in the game.

Just gauging potential interest. Not worrying about times or work schedules or anything like that right now. No point if not enough people interested.

willow ve

If the latest absurd rumour about Tottenham being willing to spend €20m on Vucinic is true, the dream may not yet be dead.
I can't trust Levy to spend anywhere near the rumoured amount (upwards of 60M now). I'm worried we'll see another big name talked about for 15M... and that would be a straight swap if Real pays 75M for Bale.

phaze

He's famous, yet talentless at the same time. His CNN show is terrible and he was involved in the whole Phone hacking mess while he was Editor at The Mirror.

He's also one of the "Wenger Out" brigade.

Also from an Arsenal perspective; his poor journalistic track record has extended even to the fans he supposedly speaks for.

More here

Thanks ! An enlightening read. Horrible stuff from him. ;(

Oh well. We survived Osama, we will withstand Piers. :)

Sporting hyping new signing on Facebook. Gonna be unveiled at 2:30EST. The only right guess would be that Ronnie wants to come home and lead us back to glory...

;_;

It´s Jefferson, Estoril´s former LB. Great signing for us, he is cheap, way better than Joãozinho and he´s a decent free kick taker.

Hixx

An extreme example would be the Stadium of Light. A 49'000 all-seater stadium that cost... £24million.
In comparison, The City of Manchester stadium, which actually aims at capturing the visitors' imagination, cost 150M£.

What are you on about. The SoL is one of the best new build Stadiums in the country, the Emirates obviously being the best. The Amex is pretty but...

It costing £24m is fucking brilliant. The COMS costing £150m, considering they are essentially the same size, is the disappointing part of this. And it looks like a music arena rather than a football stadium.

Carbonox

Im concerned that they've basically re-skinned Uncharted, and it will have all the same issues that Uncharted does. Its not that UC is a bad game but I want it to feel different to that and what i've seen so far hasn't filled me with much confidence.

After 3 PS3 games I wanted Naughty Dog to do something new, I personally don't want them to go back to UC. Leave it on Vita.

I want them to make a new Jak & Daxter game but can't see it happening now. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom