• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumhead

Banned
Group of people playing FM in a custom league. Half Fantasy Football/Half Football Manager - you have a budget of £200m to spend on a squad of 18 current active playing players.

An auction is held first for the players to see who gets who.
Then using some database editing the teams are made and a custom league formed where we play one another with our teams in the game.

Just gauging potential interest. Not worrying about times or work schedules or anything like that right now. No point if not enough people interested.

Excellent. Count me in.

What are you on about. The SoL is one of the best new build Stadiums in the country, the Emirates obviously being the best. The Amex is pretty but...

It costing £24m is fucking brilliant. The COMS costing £150m, considering they are essentially the same size, is the disappointing part of this. And it looks like a music arena rather than a football stadium.

Yep, I liked the Stadium of Light when I went.

Very much didn't like the City of Manchester Stadium. Didn't think the facilities were fantastic for a brand new ground and I hated the view we had from the bottom tier. Also, there were 6,000 of us there and yet the atmosphere was garbage as the stadium is too "open". The roof is too high and pitched and lets too much of the atmosphere out of the ground. It feels open air. Like you say, more like a music arena.

Carbonox

Bring back me :p there's a jak hd collection isn't there? are the rest of them any good, i only played precursor legacy, which i think is the first one.

Aye there's a HD collection. Great series. Third game's a bit meh though. Huge jump in style from the first to the second game. Still great fun though.

confuziz

Banned
I'm looking for a birthday gift for my best friend and I think it's going to be one of these two 'casual' shirts. Which one do you guys prefer?

Lewandowski
211413.9010_1_1.jpg

or

Suarez

Meteorain

1.Wes
2.Bumhead
3.Clegg
4.kharma45
5.Shatner's Bassoon
6. L1NETT (if I have the time)
7.TurgsDur
8. Meteorain

I hope to get in on this. Hopefully it's done after work times!

Splatt

Bring back me :p there's a jak hd collection isn't there? are the rest of them any good, i only played precursor legacy, which i think is the first one.

I love all three games.

Jak 2 is one of the hardest platformers on PS2.

It introduced new story(gritty dark main hero with ruff voice out for revenge) and gameplay(flying cars as transportation in the city which you can steal) elements that made most of the fanbase turn away from the franchise, but the pure platformer segments are awesome.

Jak 3 is kind of a weird mash-up between Jak 1 and 2, but it's a good game.

Cuddler

Hey guys, Juve is going to buy that super talented player!

Some days after

Someone else with more money bought that player.
Every year, every single year. lol

Nyx

1.Wes
2.Bumhead
3.Clegg
4.kharma45
5.Shatner's Bassoon
7.TurgsDur
8. Meteorain
9. Nyx

Sounds like a plan!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If the latest absurd rumour about Tottenham being willing to spend €20m on Vucinic is true, the dream may not yet be dead.

For the sake of my mental health, that can't be true.

His goal record is inferior to both our current strikers. It would be insane.

For the sake of my mental health, that can't be true.

His goal record is inferior to both our current strikers. It would be insane.
He's not an out-and-out striker, though. Sadly. He's more a creative inside forward who can hold up the ball and occasionally do something magical, but more often disappears from games or loses the ball in frustrating fashion. Think Berbatov, but less reliable. And less of a goal threat.

“Ferguson shouted at me and said: ‘Where are you going? To Juve, to Italy? Do you know what there is out there? They’re all racist,’” Pogba told France Football.

“He said the fans were not like they are in England. I replied there was racism everywhere, so I just wanted to play football so I could gain experience and improve.

“Ferguson noted ‘ok’ and then never let me play for Manchester United again.”
Sir Alex, for shame.

1.Wes
2.Bumhead
3.Clegg
4.kharma45
5.Shatner's Bassoon
7.TurgsDur
8. Meteorain
9. Nyx
10. PrematureQuiche

Just as long as I don't have to be host this time :/

Randdalf

Group of people playing FM in a custom league. Half Fantasy Football/Half Football Manager - you have a budget of £200m to spend on a squad of 18 current active playing players.

Then using some database editing the teams are made and a custom league formed where we play one another with our teams in the game.

Just gauging potential interest. Not worrying about times or work schedules or anything like that right now. No point if not enough people interested.

I think if you do this you should make a gaming community thread for it.

bjaelke

1.Wes
2.Bumhead
3.Clegg
4.kharma45
5.Shatner's Bassoon
7.TurgsDur
8. Meteorain
9. Nyx
10. Quiche
11. bjaelke

1.Wes
2.Bumhead
3.Clegg
4.kharma45
5.Shatner's Bassoon
7.TurgsDur
8. Meteorain
9. Nyx
10. PrematureQuiche
11. bjaelke
12. Frank the Great

not really sure what is involved in a network tourney, but i love me some FM. want to own you fuckers with my wonderkids.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
He's not an out-and-out striker, though. Sadly. He's more a creative inside forward who can hold up the ball and occasionally do something magical, but more often disappears from games or loses the ball in frustrating fashion. Think Berbatov, but less reliable. And less of a goal threat.

We already have Ade to do those things. Good lord the thought of spending more than £5m on Vucinic is frightening. He's exactly the sort of signing we don't need, the definition of luxury player.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Hey guys, Juve is going to buy that super talented player!

Some days after

Someone else with more money bought that player.
Every year, every single year. lol
I think we should ignore all the media links and nonsense until August.

Why can't we just fire Marry? I don't want us to wait for him to fuck up this transfer window to pull the trigger.

DarkAegis

Neo Member
1.Wes
2.Bumhead
3.Clegg
4.kharma45
5.Shatner's Bassoon
7.TurgsDur
8. Meteorain
9. Nyx
10. PrematureQuiche
11. bjaelke
12. Frank the Great
13.DarkAegis

Fuck y'all I put myself on the list.

1.Wes
2.Bumhead
3.Clegg
4.kharma45
5.Shatner's Bassoon
7.TurgsDur
8. Meteorain
9. Nyx
10. PrematureQuiche
11. bjaelke
12. Frank the Great
13.DarkAegis
14. SHAKE APPEAL

Meier

Giggs looks 40 in that photo already.

Juventus' refusal to spend money remains crazy to me. They must be sitting on mountains of cash.. it's bizarre. Are they publicly owned? Are there major dividend requirements?

Pachimari

How does the league thing work in FM? Is it like single player where you can buy players and buy each others players? Are there set times or days where you need to play?

How does the league thing work in FM? Is it like single player where you can buy players and buy each others players? Are there set times or days where you need to play?
Basically you play and play for 5 hours and then the game crashes and Quiche never saved it and you cry.

Kassu

Banned
1.Wes
2.Bumhead
3.Clegg
4.kharma45
5.Shatner's Bassoon
7.TurgsDur
8. Meteorain
9. Nyx
10. PrematureQuiche
11. bjaelke
12. Frank the Great
13.DarkAegis
14. SHAKE APPEAL
15. ThePikassuKassu

I should have time to play, could be fun.

Meier

776068558.jpg

Cool picture from last night's win for Orlando City. They knocked an MLS team out of the US' version of the FA Cup.

I hope not since we already know about him. I'm hoping it's a striker

It won´t be. We got a striker yesterday!!!
Bojinov is back and will be doing the pre-season with the rest of the team
We will only get a new striker after we sell someone and the name on top of that list is currently training with the Algerian national team, Ghilas.

Juventus' refusal to spend money remains crazy to me. They must be sitting on mountains of cash.. it's bizarre.
Why? Serie A has lower TV money, lower prize money, less sponsorship, and less international acclaim than other leagues. Juve have rebuilt their squad at considerable expense over the years since Calciopoli, and missed out on CL money for several years in a row. They also built a new stadium.

Just think: our wage bill is about half of yours.

Timurid

1.Wes
2.Bumhead
3.Clegg
4.kharma45
5.Shatner's Bassoon
7.TurgsDur
8. Meteorain
9. Nyx
10. PrematureQuiche
11. bjaelke
12. Frank the Great
13.DarkAegis
14. SHAKE APPEAL
15. ThePikassuKassu
16. Timurid

1.Wes
2.Bumhead
3.Clegg
4.kharma45
5.Shatner's Bassoon
7.TurgsDur
8. Meteorain
9. Nyx
10. PrematureQuiche
11. bjaelke
12. Frank the Great
13.DarkAegis
14. SHAKE APPEAL
15. ThePikassuKassu
16. Timurid
17. LFMartins86

Meier

Why? Serie A has lower TV money, lower prize money, less sponsorship, and less international acclaim than other leagues. Juve have rebuilt their squad at considerable expense over the years since Calciopoli, and missed out on CL money for several years in a row. They also built a new stadium.

Just think: our wage bill is about half of yours.

Because you've won your league a few years in a row, done decently enough in Europe (prize money, TV money -- qualifying for the UCL again would pay off Jovetic and more) and are a global brand. €30m is nothing for a player who can help you win games. Just watching that Pogba video alone illustrated how desperately Juve needs to buy an actual goalscorer. I watched it for 3 minutes and he provided perfect service that wasn't converted numerous times.

It's one thing to not be willing to stump up the cash for him totally.. but offering €5-7m? Come on, that's absurd.

Wes

venison crêpe

Already mentioned:

It's based on a concept The Blizzard football webzine are using in their BFML league.

Wes

venison crêpe
Would the league be classic mode or regular?
Who knows yet. I didn't even know if there'd be enough people interested. There appears to be a lot of you keen though, so next week I'll begin experimenting on how to get a competition up and running in the game then I'll worry about things like this.

It's way too early to know how it's going to work yet - or if it'll work at all.

Because you've won your league a few years in a row, done decently enough in Europe (prize money, TV money -- qualifying for the UCL again would pay off Jovetic and more) and are a global brand. €30m is nothing for a player who can help you win games. Just watching that Pogba video alone illustrated how desperately Juve needs to buy an actual goalscorer. I watched it for 3 minutes and he provided perfect service that wasn't converted numerous times.

It's one thing to not be willing to stump up the cash for him totally.. but offering €5-7m? Come on, that's absurd.
We've spent a lot of money since Calciopoli on a lot of bad or wasted signings, and crazy wages. Jorge Andrade was €10m. Amauri was like €22m. Poulsen €10m. Tiago €13m. Martinez €12m. Melo €25m. Diego €25m. Elia €10m. Krasic €15m.

Some of those players did well in spurts, but all of them ultimately look like a waste of money. We are still playing someone like Iaquinta (who I liked... in spurts) a six-figure sum each week to not even warm the bench.

We can't pay the wages other clubs can. We can't offer the tax breaks. We don't have an Arabian or Russian sugar daddy (instead, Juventus has been owned and run by one family for longer than any other club -- or indeed any other sporting franchise -- in the world). Serie A is in a significant period of decline, and Italy a less attractive destination than it has been for perhaps the last 30 years. We've played in the CL once in the last four or five years.

The next time Juventus break the €20m mark for a player, pitiful as that may seem to a Man City fan (or a PSG fan, or a Monaco fan, or a Bayern fan, or a Barcelona fan, or a Real fan, or...), it has to make sense.

Do we need to shell out the money for Jovetic, or Higuain, or whomever else? Yes. But do I understand why we are wary about doing so, and why we are consistently outbid by richer clubs? Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom