• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT22| His true nature avoided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastadon

Banned
I'm about to teach Alison Bechdel's Fun Home again next semester.

You should read that. It's good.

What age group do you teach Sal?

Looks like Mignolet is all but wrapped up. I think I would have preferred Begovic, but a quality replacement nonetheless.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
gazjun16_0.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Usho, what will Spurs do should AVB join PSG? I hear talks are ongoing.

I don't know how serious these talks are. I imagine it's AVB's agent doing the talking and that he just wants to force Levy to act in the transfer market, a bit like what Laudrup is doing.

Who knows though, maybe AVB is not liking the reality of Spurs' limited spending power. If he were to leave then Bale would too. We need AVB if we are going to be successful. I don't really see it happening but the longer we go without signing a player the more worried I get. Chelsea, City and Liverpool are all doing business, we need to get on with it. We need our full squad ready for pre-season.

They should rehire Redknapp who was unfairly sacked after finishing 4th, 5th and 4th in his 3 full seasons.

He was not unfairly sacked. He threw away a 10 point gap, had us get humiliated in a semi-final, courted another job for 6 months and when he didn't get it asked for a new contract on live TV as the chairmans' mother's funeral was happening. He insisted that 'the players need to know the manager will be there' despite saying that 'players don't care who the manager is' when he was fishing for the England job. He got us playing some nice football but the squad he had should have done much better. We never looked like beating United under him but we were unlucky not to take all 6 points off them this season. We had no balls under Harry.

Lightning

Banned
I don't know how serious these talks are. I imagine it's AVB's agent doing the talking and that he just wants to force Levy to act in the transfer market, a bit like what Laudrup is doing.

Who knows though, maybe AVB is not liking the reality of Spurs' limited spending power. If he were to leave then Bale would too. We need AVB if we are going to be successful. I don't really see it happening but the longer we go without signing a player the more worried I get. Chelsea, City and Liverpool are all doing business, we need to get on with it. We need our full squad ready for pre-season.
I dunno. If he leaves Spurs now he can kiss goodbye to ever getting in at a top PL club again. You can call it whatever you like but he failed last season. Spurs bombed in all cup competitions and didn't make CL football despite the squad he had and then walks away for an easier league. That won't go down well on his CV.

qindarka

Banned
He was not unfairly sacked. He threw away a 10 point gap, had us get humiliated in a semi-final, courted another job for 6 months and when he didn't get it asked for a new contract on live TV as the chairmans' mother's funeral was happening. He insisted that 'the players need to know the manager will be there' despite saying that 'players don't care who the manager is' when he was fishing for the England job. He got us playing some nice football but the squad he had should have done much better.

I was being a little facetious. It's true that just looking at results or league positioning is simplistic when looking at a manager's performance.

I dunno. If he leaves Spurs now he can kiss goodbye to ever getting in at a top PL club again. You can call it whatever you like but he failed last season. Spurs bombed in all cup competitions and didn't make CL football despite the squad he had and then walks away for an easier league. That won't go down well on his CV.

Did Spurs really have a better squad than Arsenal, especially considering the long-term injuries to key players like Kaboul and Sandro.

GorillaJu

Lol. I love Arse/Spurs banter.

Ushojax

He failed but as the season went on the bar got so high that I can understand it. 72 points and 5th place is not normal. We just didn't have any luck this season, with decisions, with injuries, with anything. When Arteta pen is wheeled out every week there's only so much you can do ;)

If he goes to PSG he will just be a journeyman like Mourinho, his standing as a coach has overall been restored over the last year.

Lightning

Banned
He failed but as the season went on the bar got so high that I can understand it. 72 points and 5th place is not normal. We just didn't have any luck this season, with decisions, with injuries, with anything. When Arteta pen is wheeled out every week there's only so much you can do ;)

If he goes to PSG he will just be a journeyman like Mourinho, his standing as a coach has overall been restored over the last year.
That is pathetic though. After you beat us you had a 7 point lead over us you then went on to blow it. You blame Redknapp for blowing the lead last year yet turn a blind eye to AVB blowing the lead in the season just finished. You moan how Redknapp had you's humiliated against Chelsea last year FA cup semi but ignore AVB had you exit the cup silly early, fail in Europe to Basel. It's utterly inconsistent.

Redknapp deserved to be fired for what he done off the field not on it. If Redknapp was not good enough results wise then AVB should be fired too.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The Dutch dominated the first half and rattled the woodwork with a free kick, but Fabio Borini got the late winner to set up a Final against Spain.

Cor Pot (Holland's manager) “When you lose a game you’re always unlucky. But we didn’t deserve it today because we were the much better team,” Pot told uefa.com.

“It’s very sad for the boys because they were fighting and they played fantastic football in parts of the game. We just had to be sharper in front of goal – that was the only point I had a little problem with.

“It was a good game and we were the much better team. Only one team deserved to win and that was us.

“We had problems in the second half but we still dominated. Even though we did not dominate as much as we did in the first half, we were still the much better team.

“Italy defended and looked for counter-attacks, which can be dangerous. We played our way and Italy played to try and press us, but they were unsuccessful and went back to their old style.

“It’s very hard to take when you are the better team. I spoke to the players after the game and I congratulated on the football they played and their mentality, but it’s not always the team who deserves to win that does win

Fabio-Borini-008.jpg

Ushojax

That is pathetic though. After you beat us you had a 7 point lead over us you then went on to blow it. You blame Redknapp for blowing the lead last year yet turn a blind eye to AVB blowing the lead in the season just finished. You moan how Redknapp had you's humiliated against Chelsea last year FA cup semi but ignore AVB had you exit the cup silly early, fail in Europe to Basel. It's utterly inconsistent.

Redknapp deserved to be fired for what he done off the field not on it. If Redknapp was not good enough results wise then AVB should be fired too.

Sure we blew a 7 point gap (having played a game more) but that's more due to exceptional form from Arsenal. You went on an amazing run and had some amazing luck. You also had your best players available.

When we lost to Chelsea 5-1 last season, we had a full strength team out. When we went out to Basel this year we had Bale, Lennon, Defoe, Kaboul and Sandro all injured. And we still took it to penalties despite giving some awful goals away. We developed a fighting spirit that we didn't have under Harry, it's not as simple to say we just blew our lead away. When you were 1-0 down to Norwich at home you got some freebies and managed to rescue it. When we were 1-0 down to Fulham we got jack shit and then Schwarzer made two godly saves. That's how it goes sometimes.

Lightning

Banned
Jamie Dalton tweeted this

@JamieDalton82: Marca: Arsenal willing to pay €30m for Gonzalo Higuain - Juve only €22m. Arsenal also willing to pay most of it upfront - Juve 5 payments

I'm liking this.

Sure we blew a 7 point gap (having played a game more) but that's more due to exceptional form from Arsenal. You went on an amazing run and had some amazing luck. You also had your best players available.

When we lost to Chelsea 5-1 last season, we had a full strength team out. When we went out to Basel this year we had Bale, Lennon, Defoe, Kaboul and Sandro all injured. And we still took it to penalties despite giving some awful goals away. We developed a fighting spirit that we didn't have under Harry, it's not as simple to say we just blew our lead away. When you were 1-0 down to Norwich at home you got some freebies and managed to rescue it. When we were 1-0 down to Fulham we got jack shit and then Schwarzer made two godly saves. That's how it goes sometimes.
The 7 point lead was not a game in hand. It was 4 points you were ahead of us when we played Spurs at the lane, we lost making it 7 points. You then played 2 games before we played again against Liverpool and Fulham and you lost both making Spurs lead by 7 having played 2 games more, our game against Everton was postponed.

You bring up the Norwich game. They scored from a free kick that wasn't a freekick, player wasn't touched, we had a blatant foul on Walcott not given which should have been a penalty. We deserved to beat Norwich.

Ushojax

*Serie A goggles on*

Tottenham have not had a penalty all season? SCANDALOUS.

I can only think of two we should have had, both against Sunderland. Bale got booked both times :(

Wilbur

Banned
30m Euros for Higuain is a fucking dumb price, and it'll only lead to Arsenal fans crying when Walcott and Podolski don't like it that they're stationed out wide and Giroud is hankering for a move. He's worth 20m at best. Good player, nothing more than that. If he played for a lesser club he'd have scored half the goals he does.

Wenger should focus on getting sweet Jack off the ket before anything else

Lightning

Banned
Unfortunately (to all parties involved), Higuain is going to pick his next destination and not Madrid.
Of course he is which is why Wenger has had many convos with his dad.

30m Euros for Higuain is a fucking dumb price, and it'll only lead to Arsenal fans crying when Walcott and Podolski don't like it that they're stationed out wide and Giroud is hankering for a move. He's worth 20m at best. Good player, nothing more than that. If he played for a lesser club he'd have scored half the goals he does.

Wenger should focus on getting sweet Jack off the ket before anything else
Bleh... Podolski can get fucked if he doesn't like it he can fuck off and so can Giroud if he doesn't like it.

Walcott is fine.

Salazar

Don't be a smartass, you know what I mean. They had a meeting, it's well known.

Aye.

Also, I'm forming a posse to fucking sort Charles Saatchi out. Do some Woodenlung dungeon shit on him. Nobody hurts Nigella.

Wilbury can play the Ray Winstone role.

"Grab my throat, cunt. Grab it. Go on. I won't stop you"

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Don't be a smartass, you know what I mean. They had a meeting, it's well known.

Higuain's father met with everyone, several times. Perez met with Juve only.

I genuinely don't want him. I watched him live in the final and he was basically a less attractive version of Matri.

In (YOUR NUMBER ONE IN) The Sun today, Mourinho says Fergie told him he was leaving earlier in the season and that Jose told him that he didn't want the United job, only the Chelsea job.

'He told me his plan as we're friends. And because he's a friend, I told him the club I want to manage in England was Chelsea again'

Mastadon

Banned
In (YOUR NUMBER ONE IN) The Sun today, Mourinho says Fergie told him he was leaving earlier in the season and that Jose told him that he didn't want the United job, only the Chelsea job.

'He told me his plan as we're friends. And because he's a friend, I told him the club I want to manage in England was Chelsea again'

Ok Jose, if you say so.

Don't bother, FootyGAF already has Mourinho getting snubbed for the United job down as a fact despite no proof of it.

I really doubt Ferguson would tell Mourinho when he hadn't even told most of his family.

Besides Mourinho has already been lying alot this week about how he never got sacked first time around at Chelsea.

LOOOL

You got T-Rex arms now. It will stay like that for at least 2-3 days.

Amateur mistake, how much did you lift? 10kg? How many times?
Mmmm I dunno how much tbh. I just lifted whatever was already on them, they're my brothers weights.

Did 3 sets of 10.

How do I stop this from happening again.

GorillaJu

Mmmm I dunno how much tbh. I just lifted whatever was already on them, they're my brothers weights.

Did 3 sets of 10.

It'll be lighter and easier each time from here on. If you start a new exercise, you get a lot more sore than in subsequent efforts.

Also, use full range of motion. Often times people restrict their muscles to shorter ranges of movement because they aren't fully extending and retracting when they lift weights.

qindarka

Banned
I really doubt Ferguson would tell Mourinho when he hadn't even told most of his family.

Besides Mourinho has already been lying alot this week about how he never got sacked first time around at Chelsea.

He was not sacked. It was known all along since the news came out in 2007 that it was a mutual agreement.

Don't bother, FootyGAF already has Mourinho getting snubbed for the United job down as a fact despite no proof of it.

FootyGAF knows best. Seriously though, we always like to pretend we are so knowledgeable when we are as ignorant media-influenced as anyone else. Then again, I guess thats a trademark of the internet in general.

Not that I trust Mourinho wholly. I've seen too many instances of this sort of pandering PR talk that players and managers in general love to engage in.

Did 3 sets of 10.

That's exactly what I did the first time too, 3 sets of 10.

Start with a smaller weight and work your way up, 3 kg or 5. If it stops being difficult then you'll know that you need to move up. It will usually take 3-5 times of doing 3 sets of 10, the best way is lifting every other day. Sun-Tues-Thurs.. Etc.

Yeah it's not like he (and the club) said that they split up by mutual consent, even back then just when it happened. There was obviously some fighting going on behind the scenes and Mourinho was just as unhappy as the board and Roman because he didn't get the players he wanted...

Yeah I've seen this mentioned but without any source at all.

Because their is none, other than GAFers saying he sucked up to United in a interview or some shit. This thread has been shit ever since the season ended.

He was not sacked. It was known all along since the news came out in 2007 that it was a mutual agreement.

So then why did he say this in 2008?

“I made a mistake not to leave Chelsea at the end of last season, I had an offer from one of the greatest clubs in Europe but I preferred to stay in London because I promised the fans that I won’t leave on my own initiative, and four months later I was fired. Now I understand that I probably shouldn’t have missed such an opportunity.

qindarka

Banned
So then why did he say this in 2008?

That's interesting. I suspect that it was just an incorrect use of terminology. I will admit there probably wasn't much difference. Mutual agreement, it may have been, but Abramovich probably exerted a lot of pressure on Mourinho's departure regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom