• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT22| His true nature avoided

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm looks interesting.

Its amazing. Watched 4 episodes in a row Sunday night, and 3 in a row last night. The premise doesn't come close to doing justice (lololol) to the programme.

Worth noting that it starts off as an awesome cop-show, with a different case every episode and a central storyline running through it, kind of like a season of X-Files if you know what I mean. They drop that after S1 though and it becomes all about the main story.

Also, don;t let the shitty third (might be fourth) episode put you off, its the only dud of the 35 or so I've watched so far.

Can;t recommend it highly enough.

Yen

It's really quite frustrating that I'm getting excited about Spain's twentieth or something best player joining us, and no fucking team wants to take England's best player off us.

We're so shit.

Whereas Liverpool fans are safe in the knowledge that we already have Spain's fifth best player (a conservative estimate). We're going to win the league.

Do it...do it.

wut

ibhElyYAI9bk5V.gif

justjohn

3rd best player. I put RVP and De Gea way above him.

But yeah, he was such a fucking TANK during the early years. Now it's like having a Midfielder/Striker mix that doesn't really fit the game well.
Blame ferguson for that. Rooney for me is still head and shoulders above any England player out there technical wise.

Wilbur

Banned
Arsenal & Chelsea are rumoured to be interested in Rooney, Wilbury.

There is interest there.

Both English clubs though - not that it's a damnation, just that teams in England want players all around the world and no one in Europe wants English players. Plus, I'm not too sure that's anything but transfer conjecture. Can't see Rooney taking over a space attributed to Mata/Cavani/Hazard, or Cazorla/Higuain.

Blame ferguson for that. Rooney for me is still head and shoulders above any England player out there technical wise.

That's faint praise really :lol

Both English clubs though - not that it's a damnation, just that teams in England want players all around the world and no one in Europe wants English players. Plus, I'm not too sure that's anything but transfer conjecture. Can't see Rooney taking over a space attributed to Mata/Cavani/Hazard, or Cazorla/Higuain.

That's faint praise really :lol

Honstly, I think foreign teams assume English players are unwilling to leave the country and overlook them to an extent.

Gerrard has only been linked to a move abroad once, Cole has never been a target, neither have the likes of Carrick, Ferdinand, Lampard, Terry etc.

Salvadora

I've said along we should go for him instead of cavani but what do I know.
I think he's definitely worth a punt. Such a versatile player, with incredible talent.

I think he just needs the right surroundings.

That's indicative of other factors, though. His wages are absolutely sky high ruling most other clubs out, and he has quite a young family.

It could be transfer conjecture, but Arsene/Mourinho have been quite coy about it. He could thrive in a non-United/Ferguson environment.

Meier

I'm guessing you put Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones above it.

What else?
Season 1 of Homeland is probably my favorite season of TV ever so it's in the conversation. Sherlock and Luther are as well. Another FX show Terriers is in the mix as is Pushing Daisies. Louie and Parks and Rec would challenge. This is just offhand though. I'd have difficulty ranking but Justified is definitely at that tier.

Wes

venison crêpe
I thought Thiago was supposed to decide hsi future today. Running out of daylight hours. Is he waiting for Tancredi Time?

Wilbur

Banned
Honstly, I think foreign teams assume English players are unwilling to leave the country and overlook them to an extent.

Gerrard has only been linked to a move abroad once, Cole has never been a target, neither have the likes of Carrick, Ferdinand, Lampard, Terry etc.

That's true, and there's exceptions like Beckham, but you don't even see lesser England players play for medium sized teams abroad. Joe Cole, fair play to him, tried it out in Spain. But a lot of our players probably would be wanted by teams 5th/6th in Spain and Germany, but are content to be 10th/11th in England. Not that it means our quality is greater than theirs when it comes to leagues, but is there any reason not to even enquire as to a player's want to leave the country? It's probably the case, but I get the impression that the blame rests on the players and not European clubs. It's an odd one, because why exactly wouldn't English players want to go play in Seville or something? This is a shit country!

I was really, really surprised about Friday Night Lights. I watched the pilot when it came over here cos I quite like a bit of handegg, but didn't expect much. I have to say, the Taylor family was probably one of the most believable families I've seen in television, and most of the acting and writing is top notch.

Wes

venison crêpe
I was really, really surprised about Friday Night Lights. I watched the pilot when it came over here cos I quite like a bit of handegg, but didn't expect much. I have to say, the Taylor family was probably one of the most believable families I've seen in television, and most of the acting and writing is top notch.

FNL is in my top 5 TV dramas of all time.

Yen

That's true, and there's exceptions like Beckham, but you don't even see lesser England players play for medium sized teams abroad. Joe Cole, fair play to him, tried it out in Spain. But a lot of our players probably would be wanted by teams 5th/6th in Spain and Germany, but are content to be 10th/11th in England. Not that it means our quality is greater than theirs when it comes to leagues, but is there any reason not to even enquire as to a player's want to leave the country? It's probably the case, but I get the impression that the blame rests on the players and not European clubs. It's an odd one, because why exactly wouldn't English players want to go play in Seville or something? This is a shit country!

WRONG!

Because they earn much better in premier league than in other leagues, unless they are going to the very top teams there. Also you can't expect someone like Rooney to learn a new language, he can barely speak English as it is.

If you were rich and had a young family, I can easily see why you'd want to stay in Britain, surrounded by a language and culture you're familiar with.

And Cole played in France :p

I imagine its also a consequence of the constant zeitgeist of superiority that is propped up by the likes of Sky, the tabloids and the fans. Perhaps the players just believe that they're playing in the best league available to them

Season 1 was immensely good. I've been hesitant to start Season 2 as everyone says it takes a dip in quality.

Its really only the first half of season 2 that's... not bad, still better than your standard tv I'd say.

Its really worth it.

Does everyone hate The Big Bang Theory? I feel like I've missed something, in that piracy thread everyone was saying it was terrible. I think its pretty good, is this just nerds getting offended that they make jokes about comic book readers?

Mastadon

Banned
Its really only the first half of season 2 that's... not bad, still better than your standard tv I'd say.

Its really worth it.

Does everyone hate The Big Bang Theory? I feel like I've missed something, in that piracy thread everyone was saying it was terrible. I think its pretty good, is this just nerds getting offended that they make jokes about comic book readers?

Too lowbrow for GAF. I don't really like it but it doesn't actively offend me like some people on here.

Meier

Oh yeah, FNL is maybe my favorite show ever. 2006 is going back a bit far for my half decade timeframe though. Pushing Daisies and Mad Men are more than 5 years old as is.

If I included FNL then 30 Rock would be in the mix for me too (also 2006).

Wes

venison crêpe

The laughter after every sentence is really annoying. I don't find it amusing at all.

Wilbur

Banned
Big Bang theory just... isn't funny. I don't even read comics or give a shit about Star Trek or computers or whatever. It's just not funny.

Because they earn much better in premier league than in other leagues, unless they are going to the very top teams there. Also you can't expect someone like Rooney to learn a new language, he can barely speak English as it is.

:lol

Yeah, well, you didn't write France. Don't sugarcoat it.

They're all the same anyway. Anyone with darker skin than me is black

If you were rich and had a young family, I can easily see why you'd want to stay in Britain, surrounded by a language and culture you're familiar with.

And Cole played in France :p

I imagine its also a consequence of the constant zeitgeist of superiority that is propped up by the likes of Sky, the tabloids and the fans. Perhaps the players just believe that they're playing in the best league available to them

Yeah I agree with all this. Just reinforces my point I suppose, that our country fucking blows in relation to football. None of our players want to further their career unless its in this country. Our best one who doesn't want to be at the biggest club in the country isn't wanted anywhere else. Not one top English youngster is being transferred around Europe while Manchester clubs battle it out for two players with Spain's two biggest clubs that can't even get in the nation's first team

Meier

Too lowbrow for GAF. I don't really like it but it doesn't actively offend me like some people on here.
It's entertaining enough. We DVR it every week, but I don't consider it a particularly good show. It's 22 minutes or so and I've seen it all at this point so I don't mind tuning in.

People mostly get annoyed at its success since so many better comedies get ignored and/or canceled here. It's inescapable now as well since it's in syndication on like 4 channels.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm never ever gonna try watching 30 Rock because of Tracey Morgan.

#Bacon

It's quite enjoyable actually. It's not laugh out loud funny but it's entertaining enough to have in the background while I sit on my phone or mong out at two in the morning.

Tracy Morgan isn't even the most annoying person in it. That Kenneth cunt is.

u guys are going to watch pacific rim right?

Yep! Looks incredible.

ringwaldhaze

Neo Member

This is pretty much it. Hasn't Joey Barton pretty much said he will be seeing out his contract at QPR rather than accepting lower terms at Marseille despite the prospect of playing in the Champions League?

Meier

Apparently the Argentine newspaper Ole says the Tevez deal is finalized.
Juventus have reportedly wrapped up the signing of Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez for a fee of €12 million plus bonuses.

Argentine newspaper Ole report that the Bianconeri have beaten AC Milan in the race to sign the 29-year-old striker.

The report states that the Old Lady will pay the Citizens €12 million plus bonuses for the former Boca Juniors star, while Tevez will sign a contract paying him €5 million a season until 2016.
http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2013/06/juventus-wrap-up-deal-for-manchester-city-star/?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom