• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT9| #Freeelsk is now trending on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Who wants to get wrecked on FIFA? Gamertag: Dr Eggman

K1LLER7

What do you reckon of our season so far? 10th is about right given our performances.
That 4th spot is going to be hard to predict this season IMO. Arsenal still have the CL and Wenger doesn't have the best of squads to rotate players and still get results easily. You always get there but I don't know this season.

Chelsea have been on a poor run and go away to the Club world cup. No idea how many points behind 4th they'll be when they return. Plus Benitez :lol. Think if they buy a striker in January, They'll get 3rd.

Spurs would be my favourites for 4th as long as they keep players fit. They've got a pretty good squad. Don't think they give a thought to Europa league and don't see them winning it.

WBA, Everton and Liverpool will drop too many points against the lower teams IMO.

Hoplatee

Life long Ajax supporter here. If Fischer keeps playing like tonight he's gonna be great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPAqQgU0gkI

The goals. Check at 1:55 for some of Fischer's finest actions.

Amazing. Eredivisie Live seems to be getting smart and stopped putting Theo Reitsma on big matches. If there ever is one guy killing any matches of any fun factor to watch with commentary then it's him.

Great goal from Lens as well.

Salazar

Anderson's hamstring leaves the door ajar for ClevGod.

In any case, take Darren Fletcher away from the first team for a while. Made up for him, scored a great goal, but it's not going to be pretty when a properly fit and organised midfield get a look at him.

Fry

What a header!!!

ibd8B7pmFaci79.gif

jtb

Banned
What do you reckon of our season so far? 10th is about right given our performances.

Our performances have been pretty terrible, and as you say 10th is the right reflection of that. I do think that it's not just an issue of buying new players (though an injection of life of some kind is desperately needed; Arshavin-type buy in January would be fantastic, though maybe too late), but that the ones we do have just aren't performing at the level they need to. Our midfield is just so devoid of creativity; I'm not sure if this is an issue of the midfield simply not being good enough (Cazorla and Arteta, while good, are not close to Cesc/Nasri/'09 Arshavin/pre-injury Wilshere, etc., Diaby is a huge miss) or simply underperforming. Cazorla gets a good dribble or two in, but... then what? Podolski on the wing is just not good enough. This team is capable of so much better; we saw that against City. So why are they so terrible now? Is Diaby that crucial of a player (which, of course, then begs the question—why bet our entire season on an injury prone player)?

Along with that, it was pretty obvious Wenger rested a lot of players today—and for what? We've already qualified and Schalke will almost certainly beat Montpelier (they haven't won a single game in the group stage, iirc), so even if we win, we finish second. Makes no sense. For the first time in many years, we actually moved forward in a transfer window (at least, imo; even if RVP was a big loss someone's gotta create chances for him or any striker) and yet the team just doesn't give a shit. It's frustrating and signs seem to point that Wenger is, if not the sole source, part of the problem.

Meier

Here's the James shirt embedded. Fit is a bit snug but not bad! Probably about on par with what an actual player (other than Robben and those kooks who wear skin tight versions) would wear.

I'd definitely order from ST again if there is another sale. Wish I could get the USMNT kit..

Dibbz

Our performances have been pretty terrible, and as you say 10th is the right reflection of that. I do think that it's not just an issue of buying new players (though an injection of life of some kind is desperately needed; Arshavin-type buy in January would be fantastic, though maybe too late), but that the ones we do have just aren't performing at the level they need to. Our midfield is just so devoid of creativity; I'm not sure if this is an issue of the midfield simply not being good enough (Cazorla and Arteta, while good, are not close to Cesc/Nasri/'09 Arshavin/pre-injury Wilshere, etc., Diaby is a huge miss) or simply underperforming. Cazorla gets a good dribble or two in, but... then what? Podolski on the wing is just not good enough. This team is capable of so much better; we saw that against City. So why are they so terrible now? Is Diaby that crucial of a player (which, of course, then begs the question—why bet our entire season on an injury prone player)?

Along with that, it was pretty obvious Wenger rested a lot of players today—and for what? We've already qualified and Schalke will almost certainly beat Montpelier (they haven't won a single game in the group stage, iirc), so even if we win, we finish second. Makes no sense. For the first time in many years, we actually moved forward in a transfer window (at least, imo; even if RVP was a big loss someone's gotta create chances for him or any striker) and yet the team just doesn't give a shit. It's frustrating and signs seem to point that Wenger is, if not the sole source, part of the problem.
Like you say, the team is capable of so much more, but that's been the story for the past 6/7 years now. There are flashes of briliance that show Wenger has it all sorted but the squad is just not able to drag itself through tough times and grind wins. Before it was blamed on Wenger trying to build a young squad. Getting consistent points on the board has always been our problem and it seems that even with a solid core of mature experience in the side it isn't helping much.

Then again you can look at the results around us and see that right now, everyone that is in Europe is struggling because the fixture list is fucking bonkers.

Anyway it's good to see Rosicky back. Hopefully he can spark the midfield like he did last year.

K1LLER7

Anderson's hamstring leaves the door ajar for ClevGod.

In any case, take Darren Fletcher away from the first team for a while. Made up for him, scored a great goal, but it's not going to be pretty when a properly fit and organised midfield get a look at him.
Ando would've been perfect in midfield against City :(
His pass on the volley in the build-up for the first goal was brilliant.

He Could be out for a few weeks. Our two most creative players injured at the same time. We need to get Shinji back. Would be amazing if fergie suprised us and he made the bench for CL midweek.

Lightning

Banned

My issue is our foward line is not good enough. Gervinho sucks as a CF, Podolski not good enough as a winger and Walcott was back to his woeful best. Even Giroud is not good enough, he's better than everyone else but not what we need. Investment in the forwarrd line is a must for me and the other thing we need is a physical presence in our midfield. Arteta and Wlishere are not strong enough, they are good enough but need rotation. Arteta looks tired, Cazorla looks tired and both players need a rest but can't have one. I really think we need a disciplined midfielder who has physically strong but wont drift forward. Arteta, Wilshere and Cazorla can roam forward but we need a strong player (M'Vila or Capoue) like player and I think you'll find our midfield will have a lot more time and not be so damn tired.

Finishing 1st or 2nd in our group doesn't mean anything as we will face hard games whether we finish 1st or 2nd and as you said Schakle will win their game anyway making it a wasted journey for our stars. Finish 2nd, hope we don't get Barcelona or Real Madrid and do our best is about all we can hope for there.

Then again you can look at the results around us and see that right now, everyone that is in Europe is struggling because the fixture list is fucking bonkers.
That is the only thing saving us right now. Only 5 points from us and 3rd which is shocking but shows the gap that Manchester teams have generated over the rest of the pack. Steady progression is all that is required year on year but oir wage structure sucks so we lose our best players year in year out. There needs to be a bigger gap between the best paid players and the worst paid players in our squad if we are to hold onto our best players.

Crazy united Match. Went out tonight and some guy tried to start on me lol. Hate mother fuckers that talk the talk but don't walk to the walk. As soon as I got back in his face he shat himself. Top of the league bitchessss. Doubt we'll stay there though :(

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Here's the James shirt embedded. Fit is a bit snug but not bad! Probably about on par with what an actual player (other than Robben and those kooks who wear skin tight versions) would wear.

I'd definitely order from ST again if there is another sale. Wish I could get the USMNT kit..

how many business days did it take? I want to get a shirt for my uncle for Christmas

So I see that Atlético Madrid still chokes against Real even when they have their best season ever.

Damn.

lol only Arda or Falcao could start for Madrid

Nice - PSG is good!

defel

Just got sucked into watching a Beckham United goals compilation video on youtube and it reminded me just how great he was. Childhood hero and perfect role model. He was always such a money spinner for marketers that people forget that he was genuinely exceptional on the pitch. Im hoping he gets the opportunity to play in the PL one last time.

Meier

Interesting, Goal.com says we'll buy Isco in January for his release clause and then loan him back to Malaga for the remainder of the year. I'd like him on the team immediately but if it means we get him at all, I'm all for it.

how many business days did it take? I want to get a shirt for my uncle for Christmas

Probably won't happen. It took over a month to get here after my order date. :(

xintin

CHELSEA HAVE
FACT
A FUCKING JOKE OF A DEFENSE

this was a problem all the way back to the end of Carlo's tenure and is still hasn't been fucking fixed.

Salazar

Great post after the last two matches with Luiz resulted in clean sheets, while now having Cahill and Ivan resulted in 3... Against fucking West Ham.

Cahill did take a kick to the face.

I remembered that, because I usually giggle when Chelsea defenders get roughed up, but Cahill is ok.

Omikron

Just finished watching a replay of West Ham v Chelsea.

WH dominated that 2nd half utterly and Chelsea were lucky not to go behind earlier. Diame is a beast of a man and Man God Carlton Cole made mince meat of Ivanovic.

Clegg

I decided to stay up and finish reading the Fall of Hyperion.

It's 5.15 in the morning and I'm so fucking confused.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I love how you totally abandoned your Madrid bandwagon for the Juve one
There's a Juve bandwagon?
I'll see what I can do. Marchisio. <3
ZABO PLS
-

What the fuck? That's not a clean challenge by a long shot. It doesn't matter if he gets the ball first if he lunges in with both feet, soles first.
What the fuck? That's not a clean challenge by a long shot. It doesn't matter if he gets the ball first if he lunges in with both feet, soles first.

Pretty much. It was high and dangerous with his studs up on the standing ankle. It looked brutal in real time.

I'm currently in the middle of The Yiddish Policemen's Union, A Wild Sheep Chase, and Lolita. Work got so busy that I haven't gotten too them, and now need to start them all over. It is so damn frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom