• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT9| #Freeelsk is now trending on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

The whole gun issue isn't really clear cut. I remember reading a piece, I think from Steven Levitt. The way he explained it, pretty much, was that legally held weapons are vary rarely used in crimes. So to control the weapons that your law abiding citizens can obtain really shouldn't effect gun crime. That's to say, and obviously I can't speak for this situation because we don't know yet, that the average gun criminal isn't going through the application process and then buying weapons legally. The US may have the most guns per capita but the overwhelming majority are owned by sane people. Then there's the argument that concealed carry laws may actually prevent would be gun criminals.

He doesn't need to, when there's this huge number of guns, old and new, legal and illegal, circulating.

In Texas, you can purchase automatic weapons and Howitzers.
But I'm led to believe they're a nightmare to obtain legally.

He doesn't need to, when there's this huge number of guns, old and new, legal and illegal, circulating.
Right, but you're not going to legislate guns out of existence. The point is, you can put as many obstacles in front of your law abiding citizens as you want, making it harder for them wont stop people who have no regard for the law. Any amount of countries have stringent gun laws, but that doesn't stop the people who are packing the most weaponry, drugs gangs etc, from getting them. Because they will always get them.

A gun ban for example, is incredibly unlikely to prevent a situation like this.

elseanio

What the fuck is up with the media? Shoving microphones in clearly distressed parents trying to console their kids.

Thoughts are with all the victims families, and those kids who survived and now have to live with this tragedy :(

De Gea
Rafael Rio Smallings Evra
Valencia Carrick Clev Young
Rooney RVP

Please. Will be okay with Scholes however since Sunderland's midfield is maybe the worst in the league.

Also, Glenn Johnson :lol

tumblr_mavegbVEj91qh2a1qo1_500.gif

Source inside PSV says Strootman is definitely leaving in January. Say your goodbye's Confuzizzle.

Lewa more or less ours.

Ha-mez destined to be ours.

Just need to tie up Wanyama and Hummels and we can start planning the 2013/2014 Treble "Trailer".

De Gea
Rafael Rio Smallings Evra
Valencia Carrick Clev Young
Rooney RVP

Please. Will be okay with Scholes however since Sunderland's midfield is maybe the worst in the league.

Also, Glenn Johnson :lol

tumblr_mavegbVEj91qh2a1qo1_500.gif

That's entirely Agger's fault tbf. Coming in from the side with a slide tackle, when a teammate is running side by side with Valencia. All he had to do was chase, Johnson would have either fouled Valencia, tackled him, or forced him to miscontrol the ball, giving one of them an easy tackle

Evra-Ferdinand-Clash.gif

Evra was so looking forward to clattering Suarez

I don't like cocky, trolling Viva.

:(
Just getting into the transfer muppetry spirit.

Hope we win tmrw. Everyone is saying that we are going to go on a run now...not certain by any means. The performanc against City was very very good but there are still such obvious frailties. Sunderland don't seem to have the right personnel to really hurt us so I am quite confident about winning tbh, but then I didn't think Norwich had the right tools to damage us either and we let them walk all over us.

Timurid

That's entirely Agger's fault tbf. Coming in from the side with a slide tackle, when a teammate is running side by side with Valencia. All he had to do was chase, Johnson would have either fouled Valencia, tackled him, or forced him to miscontrol the ball, giving one of them an easy tackle

Evra-Ferdinand-Clash.gif

Evra was so looking forward to clattering Suarez

lol that's awesome!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-v443yVYAo1g/Tz3eJmm02wI/AAAAAAAAAJc/ARwJe0VE5sM/s360/Evra-Ferdinand-Clash.gif[/IMG

Evra was so looking forward to clattering Suarez[/QUOTE]It was actually Suso's fault for playing a shit pass beforehand :P

Zabojnik

Right, but you're not going to legislate guns out of existence. The point is, you can put as many obstacles in front of your law abiding citizens as you want, making it harder for them wont stop people who have no regard for the law. Any amount of countries have stringent gun laws, but that doesn't stop the people who are packing the most weaponry, drugs gangs etc, from getting them. Because they will always get them.

A gun ban for example, is incredibly unlikely to prevent a situation like this.

No, I'm with you. To prevent situations like this you would need a nation wide gun reset. Still, there's a huge difference between potentially unstable 'normal' people obtaining them and criminals. At the end of the day, it's not so much the number of guns, which is a mere consequence, but the whole gun culture. "He/they got a gun, so I must have one to defend myself" + easy to obtain weapons legally = chain reaction.

If I knew there were hordes of petty criminals and mentally unstable people brandishing guns all around me, I'd get one too. Here in Slovenia there aren't, so I feel relatively safe.

You know when something pops up on a feed that makes you do a double take?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20650106

No pressure lads...

'Aston Villa will be competitive at Anfield - I don't think there is any doubt about that - but they are probably going there just at the wrong time, just as Liverpool are starting to play well'

That is a Lawrsenson quote.Does he actually watch any matches? We weren't exactly playing badly a month or so ago

Arnie

I think you mean this, Feorax.

And yes, I did a double take, definitely a typo, watched the conference before.

'Aston Villa will be competitive at Anfield - I don't think there is any doubt about that - but they are probably going there just at the wrong time, just as Liverpool are starting to play well'

That is a Lawrsenson quote.Does he actually watch any matches? We weren't exactly playing badly a month or so ago
This annoys me, too.

It's not just Lawro, I've seen it said a few times, but it's cack. We've not played remarkably better the last few weeks, we're just getting more fortune in turning the performances into wins. We played some great stuff against the likes of City, United, and Spurs, but didn't get the plaudits because we didn't win. Then we show some spirit against West Ham (after sloppily conceding two) and suddenly we're a force.

Clegg

Hope we win tmrw. Everyone is saying that we are going to go on a run now...not certain by any means. The performanc against City was very very good but there are still such obvious frailties. Sunderland don't seem to have the right personnel to really hurt us so I am quite confident about winning tbh, but then I didn't think Norwich had the right tools to damage us either and we let them walk all over us.

That's what I don't like.

You're such a legit poster that I don't know when you're trolling or not :[

United definitely have a problem when it comes to the "routine" matches. We think we can coast against the smaller teams and we get sloppy.

I think you mean this, Feorax.

And yes, I did a double take, definitely a typo, watched the conference before.

This annoys me, too.

It's not just Lawro, I've seen it said a few times, but it's cack. We've not played remarkably better the last few weeks, we're just getting more fortune in turning the performances into wins. We played some great stuff against the likes of City, United, and Spurs, but didn't get the plaudits because we didn't win. Then we show some spirit against West Ham (after sloppily conceding two) and suddenly we're a force.
Top two?

Huh?

Maybe it's some kind of psychological thinghymajig.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The Hobbit was kinda fun. And Like all of Peter Jackson's movies, I was about to fall asleep in the first 30 minutes.
KuGsj.gif

So much potential in the necromancer, looked awesome.

HYYYYYYYYYYYPE.

Wait..who's upfront? Matri? -HYYYYYYYYYYYPE.

God, seeing Ale's strike makes me sad.

:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

United definitely have a problem when it comes to the "routine" matches. We think we can coast against the smaller teams and we get sloppy.

To be fair, City are probably the only team in the league who are better than you at putting away the matches you're supposed to win, and you make up for that by winning more difficult matches. You've already beaten us, Chelsea and City away. (With a bit of help from the officials, it should be said)

kharma45

We'll win by 5.

The Hobbit was kinda fun. And Like all of Peter Jackson's movies, I was about to fall asleep in the first 30 minutes.
KuGsj.gif

So much potential in the necromancer, looked awesome.

A pity you'll probably have to wait until film 3 for more on that in a substantive way.

i don't even think it's a problem against smaller teams in particular. Just think every few games we have 7/8 players who slip and then we end up struggling - be it against a smaller or tougher team. We played poorly against Everton and Liverpool this season already, Spurs for 45 mins too - not routine games. We don't have eneough consistent performers in the team at the moment.

Fixed for what the majority of this thread is really thinking.
Didn't you hear? Robbo said he's gonna be great!

Clev actually did better than I expected at City. He wasn't amazing or anything but he did a pretty sound job. Strangely City didn't seem to get a physical upper hand against either him or Carrick. Not sure how that happened really.

Because while Toure is built like a house, he plays with the intensity of Downing with muscular dystrophy
I know but even Barry, Balotelli and Aguero who were all playing are physically imposing.

What I mean is, with Rio, Evans, Clev and Carrick through the centre it didn't seem like City attempted to target that clear physical weakness at all.

Speaking of, The Telegraph (or maybe it's Guardian) have listed Nasri as a doubt for tmrw citing a "headache". Lol what?

Messi

Tellos updated contract is wierd. In a club who uses huge buyout clauses his is set at 10mil? He will sign until 2016.

Yay

Clegg

Clev actually did better than I expected at City. He wasn't amazing or anything but he did a pretty sound job. Strangely City didn't seem to get a physical upper hand against either him or Carrick. Not sure how that happened really.
City started with Silva and Nasri. Both offer zero physicality and neither track back and defend.

That left us up against a lazy, feckless Toure and Gareth Barry. City lose so much from their performance when Toure doesn't play well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom