• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

anthonyOA

Nobody is scared of United anymore. Even the bottom feeders are getting points at Old Trafford. For the first time in my life I'm looking forward to playing them.

Basically. Man Utd are now, for the first time in years, are having their defence properly tested in home games.

I still can't believe they let Pogba only to later go and purchase Fellani for just under £30mill. Some of the worst business I've seen in football.

Fergie

Banned
Absolutely no creativity apart from Adnan's passes, but he got shut down pretty hard. Just one blip in glorious career.

The goal was a bit unlucky, but ah well. Moyes needs to stop being fucking negative. Zaha and Shinji should have been on. Needs to stop playing 2 DM's come son.

Defence should be Vidic and someone apart from Rio.

I'll start shitting myself in Jan, but it won't help if we're at least not in top 4 by then.

Need to be like Arsenal this summer and ship off a lot of deadweight.

Suen

Madrid-GAF:

Fun game. Malaga put up a good fight, honestly I keep getting surprised how they manage to do so good despite losing almost all of their good players, you got to give them the respect for that. Caballero is amazing, we are all used to Casillas, Lopez, Valdes and an emerging Courtois but Caballero deserve to be mentioned more often. He did a spectacular job last season, one of the main reasons Malaga finished high up in the league as he did countless of good saves.

I enjoyed the game but I still think our defense needs to do much better, our mistakes are very simple but they are mistakes that will cost us goals. More on Morata; this guy is really active in the penalty area, he adapts well to the conditions, whether they are passes or crosses he looks ready to handle both very good. Benz is like a statue in comparison to him. Maybe Morata is just very good at reading the game, either way he is a very solid threat. Jese did good this game despite the little play time he got. Had Ronaldo scored it would have been a great assist from Jese. He also did a rather decent low shot but Caballero was too good so no goal from that. Looking forward to see more from him
and from Bale
. Isco was disappointing today, CR7 as well.

Ramsey scores and Özil scores two goals? Why Özil, why did you not score when you played for Madrid? Was Ronaldo's dictactorship that hard to break from? Look at Di Maria, look at Jese, look at Morata, look at Isco. None of them give a fuck now, they take their chances. Bale should follow their suit.

Great day of football so far.

bud

iKYXXFDEKJi17.gif

that second goal. so calm. so delicate. so composed.

it's like a drop of water into the ocean
watch the ripples
that's ramsey

TrueBlue

Happy with that. Eto'o off the mark, and three goals for the goal difference. Oscar seems to be our star man at the moment.

Guys, we didn't actually play well at all today outside scoring those four goals. We were flat for long periods and let Norwich control possession. I know its merely semantics, but I think a better description (as opposed to being the "best") would be we're the least disappointing top club side at the moment.

Fergie

Banned
Ramsey is fucking amazing, good to see him performing to his potential.

This Arsenal team, holy shit indeed, can't stop conceding but attack wise, off the charts. The hard run of matches will start soon as well.

And for the Bale comments, he's had a horrible start, lets just wait.

GorillaJu

To be honest considering how we're playing I'd say Arsenal are just well above our level at the moment, so I really don't get frustrated when they win. I don't know how this has happened, but it has.

United are fucking shite, though. Legitimately slugged. Any team can go to Old Trafford and come away with something. Watching them is going to be great this season.

Yes, Arsenal are the best team in the league right now, no question for me. We're somehow just behind them on points but that's much more to do with the other teams who should be up there with us floundering badly early in the season.

With the way we've been playing, we'll be extremely lucky to be fighting for a 4th place spot.

Though there is the consideration that we've also put 5 past Norwich twice in the past year, 6 against Newcastle, 4 or 5 against Wigan and Swansea, playing football every bit as lovely as Arsenal are playing right now. So we've got it in us to play better, but it really needs to start coming together. Some big games coming up in the winter, hopefully the team will take that as an opportunity to show up to win.

jtb

Banned
2 in 2 for Wilshere also. would be good for him to hit a good patch of form like Ramsey has. We've had trouble scoring goals the past few seasons so it's good that everyone seems pretty comfortable in front of goal.

Guys, we didn't actually play well at all today outside scoring those four goals. We were flat for long periods and let Norwich control possession. I know its merely semantics, but I think a better description (as opposed to being the "best") would be we're the least disappointing top club side at the moment.

I agree, but I think the team was probably thinking of the CL match coming up. we didn't play particularly well... and we still won 4-1. So it certainly could've been worse lol

Meier

Wait a minute. 54% possession and more shots on goal for Southampton? Surely that's wrong.

They (Soton) looked better most of the game I watched. United only had 1 SOG until the final 25 mins or so. doicare is being his usual delusional and insane self.

Anderson

Gotta beat Palace next weekend before the tough run, real test of any title ambitions we might have against Liverpool & United.

Like to play United now though,hope they don't get their act together when we play them

Clegg

It's frustrating when you see the attacking players at our disposal yet we're so bad at exploiting their obvious qualities.

Ramsey's emergence as a productive member will surely raise questions about Wilshere? He is a brilliant technician but doesn't add anything to the midfield, especially when you have Ozil, Cazorla and now Rambo.

With everyone fit, where does Jack fit in now just a year after being the face of this team?

bud

this is true. the goals were great, but the performance itself was okay at best.

there are some flashes of brilliance here and there, but at this point, they're far too sporadic.

Arnie

2 in 2 for Wilshere also. would be good for him to hit a good patch of form like Ramsey has. We've had trouble scoring goals the past few seasons so it's good that everyone seems pretty comfortable in front of goal.

That's the key.

Lots of goalscorers from plenty of different positions.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Arsenal would have drawn or lost these 'easy' fixtures last season though.

Something has changed this season.

Really? I'm pretty sure Arsenal got more points from these fixtures last season. They've started very well but they haven't really had a testing fixture save the NLD.

The most impressive thing about Arsenal is the attitude. They don't wilt anymore and everybody is super-confident. They don't just believe they can win but they are ready to work for it.

K1LLER7

Gotta beat Palace next weekend before the tough run, real test of any title ambitions we might have against Liverpool & United.

Like to play United now though,hope they don't get their act together when we play them
Unless we miraculously find a midfield and change our tactics, you need not worry.

Feorax

Yes, Arsenal are the best team in the league right now, no question for me. We're somehow just behind them on points but that's much more to do with the other teams who should be up there with us floundering badly early in the season.

With the way we've been playing, we'll be extremely lucky to be fighting for a 4th place spot.

Though there is the consideration that we've also put 5 past Norwich twice in the past year, 6 against Newcastle, 4 or 5 against Wigan and Swansea, playing football every bit as lovely as Arsenal are playing right now. So we've got it in us to play better, but it really needs to start coming together. Some big games coming up in the winter, hopefully the team will take that as an opportunity to show up to win.

You can't underestimate just hiw much we're missing Coutinho at the moment. Moses just isn't close as a replacement, and frankly it makes us look toothless. We were lucky today.

We really should be making better use of Alberto on todays performance, and address our midfield issues in Jan.

Re: United

It might well seem premature to get rid if Moyes now, but at the same time, if you're holding out hope he will change how he sets up and plays his teams, then i really think you're on a hiding to nothing...

doicare

They (Soton) looked better most of the game I watched. United only had 1 SOG until the final 25 mins or so. doicare is being his usual delusional and insane self.
If you forget about Southampton doing nothing with the ball for the majority of the game apart from taking shit long ranged shots that were never going in and United hitting the cross bar twice and creating the better chances then yeah sure Southampton 'deserved' to win. *rollseyes*

Okay, those Arsenal highlights are super pretty.

And, guys, I think Cleverley could actually be a better midfielder than Fellaini. 30m, why

GorillaJu

You can't underestimate just hiw much we're missing Coutinho at the moment. Moses just isn't close as a replacement, and frankly it makes us look toothless. We were lucky today.

We really should be making better use of Alberto on todays performance, and address our midfield issues in Jan.

Agreed 100%

Yeah, Arsenal actually have fewer points from the same fixtures this season as they did last season. Last season they were 5 points over what they've gotten so far over these fixtures. Kind of a daft stat when you consider how well they've been playing, but it does give hope to us bitter twats who want to see London burn.

Fergie

Banned
Okay, those Arsenal highlights are super pretty.

And, guys, I think Cleverley could actually be a better midfielder than Fellaini. 30m, why
Gs2Gents_sucker_punch.gif

He's just having a bad start, calma.

Fellaini should just be a lone DM.

iQR6xnwQL5wZy.gif

It would be messi who fucks it all up lol

Too many touches.

Shinji should get a fucking look-in now, Moyes should really start thinking about this serious lack of creativity.

anthonyOA

Game should have been over when Januzaj put Welbambi through on goal.

This is the point though. It should be Chicha, Rooney or RVP no the end of these. Welbs lacks a composure sometimes where an instinctive goalscorer doesn't even need to think before finding the net.

Top Bottom