• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

Arnie

Bayern and Madrid have gone through spells where they've made mistake too.

In fact United were probably the smoothest run club over the last 15 years in Europe. We messed up this summer but need to keep perspective.

He was shit.

Quite a few players I think but we need to be willing to spend serious money.

But Id like to see us go after Lars Bender if that £15m release clause is for reals.

Clev was poor. Showed lots of energy, but when he got into advanced positions he lacked the balls and the technique to influence the game.

Lars Bender is available apparently. He'd help shore up our pourous midfield. Definitely wouldn't add any creativity though. He'd be chased by half the big teams in Europe too. Moyes will probs go back in for Baines in January as Ever is just getting worse. For midfield though, who knows?
Right.

Never been convinced of Cleverley, and the wheels have been coming off him for over half a year now. At some point I feel like you should just sell him to a club like Everton and brush your hands of him. I don't feel he has any particularly stand out attributes as a footballer. He's just not an asset worth keeping.

Lars Bender's a great shout. Attainable, not overly expensive, fucking quality. A duo of him and Carrick would be smouldering.

Salvadora

Wilbur told me to say the following, particularly to you and bud:

You're all fucking eggs

I agree. At least Liverpool fans have the sense to say their shit tongue in cheek. Nine games in and guess what? Your situation hasn't changed. Still trophy-less. There's a 10 year old gooner out there who's never seen Wenger soil his panties over a cup. I feel for him.
It's completely tongue in cheek, and always has been. Certainly no one would've came out of todays, or any recent Arsenal game and thought, "this is a title-winning side". We're lucky we didn't concede more than once today. We'll probably lose to Liverpool. What happened to you Pulga :/

My prediction of third at best with a cup still stands.

pulga

Banned
2yy1q36.png

lol even the official site of RM is full of salt

But it's true. You know it deep down, in the back of your head, you hear a little voice whispering

you got lucky, punk

Right.

Never been convinced of Cleverley, and the wheels have been coming off him for over half a year now. At some point I feel like you should just sell him to a club like Everton and brush your hands of him. I don't feel he has any particularly stand out attributes as a footballer. He's just not an asset worth keeping.

Lars Bender's a great shout. Attainable, not overly expensive, fucking quality. A duo of him and Carrick would be smouldering.

Clev looks like he's lost his confidence. I still want him around just cos he's an academy player but for sure, he's going the wrong way.

Carrick is 32 now I think. He's gonna be finished soon.

Onto the boxing. Kell Brook is average. Should be fine here though, think he stops him late on.

Clegg

Bayern and Madrid have gone through spells where they've made mistake too.

In fact United were probably the smoothest run club over the last 15 years in Europe. We messed up this summer but need to keep perspective.

We conducted our business in private and without too much fuss. That was the good bit. But we've had the same problems in the squad for a number of years and they really should have been sorted out by now. Fergie needs to take some blame for that. We've also missed out on a number of high profile players down the years who we really could have done with. When it comes to big money signings, I don't think we have the will to push the boat out. If there was ever a time to do it then it was during the summer. But nothing happened.

Elchele

Lars Bender is injured most of the time now, tho. His brother is even worse in that aspect.

But yes, both are great DMs. But is Manchester United more attractive than Leverkusen at this point?

pulga

Banned
It's completely tongue in cheek, and always has been. Certainly no one would've came out of todays, or any recent Arsenal game and thought, "this is a title-winning side". We're lucky we didn't concede more than once today. We'll probably lose to Liverpool. What happened to you Pulga :/

Even my one IRL Arsenal friend has turned into a deluded mongrel. Said something to me about Özil sitting pretty at the top of the league whilst we lost to Barca. I feel like slapping every one of you upside the head, but if I did, I'd be öut of breath.

Arnie

Koke looking good. Clasie a more creative option from Holland also, not sure he's ready don't watch him nearly often enough but he looks sharp.

These are all very gettable for a club like ours. And if we are willing to spend proper big money then there are plenty we can try for.

I just know Brendan's watching Koke with a fizzing erection.

Shame there's no way he'd come to us in our current state. Our next major signings will be in the midfield, though. It's the only part of the squad that's yet to see a Rodgers rejuvenation, and it's the only part of the squad that's really appeared to let us down this season.

So much of that rebuilding relies on us keeping up this current form, though. If we get back into the Champions League (huge, mammoth, improbable task) we'll be able to go after players like Koke.

Lars Bender is injured most of the time now, tho. His brother is even worse in that aspect.

But yes, both are great DMs. But is Manchester United more attractive than Leverkusen at this point?

The crazy thing is, you're asking a genuine question.

You plant.

dc89

We Northmen embrace the Winter.

Did order that naughty denim number tonight, finally. Sheep lining to brace against the bitter winds ahead. It was 35% off on Debenhams online with a code. Only cost £60, and I got paid yesterday.

I got some naughty stuff from my gf's place the other day.
A shirt, a jumper and a t-shirt. Stuff that actually didn't go into production so I'm quite possibly the only person who actually has it because its a salesman sample.

I feel like i'm wearing couture.

Clegg

Koke looking good. Clasie a more creative option from Holland also, not sure he's ready don't watch him nearly often enough but he looks sharp.

These are all very gettable for a club like ours. And if we are willing to spend proper big money then there are plenty we can try for.
Is he the kind if player Moyes would go for tho? He apparently passed on the opportunity to sign Thiago because he wasn't fully convinced by him. I don't see Koke being any different even though he's obviously a quality player.

Moyes also needs to get his business done much earlier. I respect that he wants to know every possible detail about a player before he signs him. But that won't cut it at United. We need to be looking at the top quality players and you can't dawdle like he has, otherwise someone else will sign that player and we'll be left in a position like we were atbtye end of the last window.

pulga

Banned
The crazy thing is, you're asking a genuine question.

You plant.

It's a legit question.

Leverkusen's sitting pretty at #3, one point off the pace.

United is dangling from a thin, silk string into the bottomless pit called the south side of the table.

One looks to be getting CL football at the end of the season, one looks like the underside of my grandma's twat.

Arnie

A shirt, a jumper and a t-shirt. Stuff that actually didn't go into production so I'm quite possibly the only person who actually has it because its a salesman sample.

We should start a fashion podcast. Morsel can be on it, maybe.

ugh time to devour MOTD. Just wish United hadn't won, then i'd be going into it with gallons of blood pouring into my crotch.

one looks like the underside of my grandma's twat.
Put that on your business card.

I expelled flecks of spit.

Maybe not you, but I've defaintly seen a few who said that with a serious face and had a proper argument with me about it. Also Bacon did.

Lightning

Banned

Lose to Liverpool? No dude, just no.

The hardest thing will be getting Leverkusen to do business in January. Hard club to bargain price for players with.

Linius

But you can't wear skinny jeans so I win.

Man these Indigo & Maine jeans are so comfy.

Salvadora

Even my one IRL Arsenal friend has turned into a deluded mongrel. Said something to me about Özil sitting pretty at the top of the league whilst we lost to Barca. I feel like slapping every one of you upside the head, but if I did, I'd be öut of breath.
Deluded about what? Everyone predicted that we'd implode like a black hole and drop like a rock this season, but we haven't. We've defied expectations and are currently sitting on the top of the table, and signed a world class player in the process. Giddy? Sure. But deluded? My expectations have been where they have been since the start.

I don't even think any Gooners in here have even made any comments about Madrid, so I don't even know how we've worked you up so much (although Wilbury is understandable)! Anyway, he knows how these things work, he was shitting on Arsenal with everyone else in the summer. It's a cyclical thing.
Lose to Liverpool? No dude, just no.
They've the highest scorers in the league. Their goals were world class today.

We've got to defend against that!

MPW

2yy1q36.png

lol even the official site of RM is full of salt

clear pen, everyone knows it

Cristiano Ronaldo was denied what should have been a penalty after Javier Mascherano barged into him from behind in the penalty area. It was a ridiculous challenge by Mascherano, who was lucky to get away with it.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/26/barcelona-v-real-madrid-live-mbm

not surprised as barca gets away with pretty much anything 99% of the time at camp nou

6 point game with plenty of football to play so we'll see what happens at the end

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

I just know Brendan's watching Koke with a fizzing erection.

Shame there's no way he'd come to us in our current state. Our next major signings will be in the midfield, though. It's the only part of the squad that's yet to see a Rodgers rejuvenation, and it's the only part of the squad that's really appeared to let us down this season.

So much of that rebuilding relies on us keeping up this current form, though. If we get back into the Champions League (huge, mammoth, improbable task) we'll be able to go after players like Koke.

dat false modesty

One of you is going to be crowned champion, AND YOU KNOW IT.

pulga

Banned
Deluded about what? Everyone predicted that we'd implode like a black hole and drop like a rock this season, but we haven't. We've defied expectations and are currently sitting on the top of the table, and signed a world class player in the process. Giddy? Sure. But deluded? My expectations have been where they have been since the start.

I don't even think any Gooners in here have even made any comments about Madrid, so I don't even know how we've worked you up so much (although Wilbury is understandable)! Anyway, he knows how these things work, he was shitting on Arsenal with everyone else in the summer. It's a cyclical thing.

Wut

Something something Ozil styling Madrid dying from quite a few of you, actually :lol

noal

Banned
Is he the kind if player Moyes would go for tho? He apparently passed on the opportunity to sign Thiago because he wasn't fully convinced by him. I don't see Koke being any different even though he's obviously a quality player.

Moyes also needs to get his business done much earlier. I respect that he wants to know every possible detail about a player before he signs him. But that won't cut it at United. We need to be looking at the top quality players and you can't dawdle like he has, otherwise someone else will sign that player and we'll be left in a position like we were atbtye end of the last window.

If this is true of Moyes then why did we bid for everyone on deadline day. I can't believe for a second that he was scouting Khedira while at Everton. Panic? Maybe, but it was a huge mistake not to make a statement when getting in a new manager after having Fergie for so long.

Salvadora

Wut

Something something Ozil styling Madrid dying from quite a few of you, actually :lol
Well certainly not from me. I recall Madrid fans in here saying they could've done with him, actually.

Anyway, if you've started taking bud's posts seriously then there can be no hope.

Clegg

If this is true of Moyes then why did we bid for everyone on deadline day. I can't believe for a second that he was scouting Khedira while at Everton. Panic? Maybe, but it was a huge mistake not to make a statement when getting in a new manager after having Fergie for so long.
It may not have been panic, but rather poor planning and execution. We wasted so much time trying to sign Fabregas, Baines and Fellaini that we left too much for ourselves to do on the last day.

Marc

Haha, Match of the Day loves Man U don't they? The Little Pea leaves a big dent on a shin miles after the ball has gone and its "he has just hung a leg out hasn't he?"... clear red for me.

pulga

Banned
You have a short memory for how Madrid fans were acting when Isco was scoring those goals and how you were shitting on Ozil.

Me shit on Ozil? I have his goddamn shirt from last season you turkey

All I've ever said is I'm not that hurt by him leaving since I consider Isco his equal or possible better. All you little dandelions been taking this too personally for a player you've seen for all of 10 games, tops.

You have a short memory for how Madrid fans were acting when Isco was scoring those goals and how you were shitting on Ozil.

They forgot already because Carlo killed Isco.

Haha, Match of the Day loves Man U don't they? The Little Pea leaves a big dent on a shin miles after the ball has gone and its "he has just hung a leg out hasn't he?"... clear red for me.

The replay showed his leg was hanging and the player's follow through allowed for the contact to happen. At least, that's what the last replay from another angle showed during the live game.

Top Bottom