• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

Do you realise you don't actually win anything for finishing fourth?

But the photos of Arsenal celebrating 4th were cute.

60Ppfuj.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yeah congrats to Chelsea on being the first London team to win the Champions League, it was very brave of them to flop in the league down to 5th place to concentrate on the CL. Maybe Arsenal should do the same.

hey

HEY

they finished 6th

Also, I have no doubt Wenger will resign, even though I would prefer someone else. Having 12 attacking midfielders does not make your team depth incredible. Arsenal are only three or 4 players short at most(which is what 40-50 million, not a vast amount a money, maybe 30 million extra on a top striker.

Yeah congrats to Chelsea on being the first London team to win the Champions League, it was very brave of them to flop in the league down to 5th place to concentrate on the CL. Maybe Arsenal should do the same.

Didn't we actually finish 6th that season? RDM took a risk, CL above the Premier League, it worked, I'm not upset where we finished in the league that season.

Also, we have plenty of depth, 3 first team keepers (Cech, Schwarzer, Hilario - a bit old but they kept him around as he can do a job I guess), 2 rbs, Azpili and Ivanovic - also cover at centre back. 3 Centre backs - JT, Cahill, Luiz, 2 left backs - Bertrand and Cole.

Lampard, Rami, Mikel, Essien, Van Ginkel (injured for the season) in the pivot.

(I won't list our attacking midfielders)

And 3 strikers - Ba, Torres and Eto'o.

The team needs a bit of work, I think Cahill or Luiz will go sooner or later, get rid of Ba/Eto'o for another striker if Torres is still performing, but we have plenty of depth as shown last night. Our depth is incredible and thats why I think we will win the league.

You can only play who is put in front of you.

yep, thats why maybe we should be willing to sacrifice a top four place and go all out on the CL. It worked for Chelsea.

The way Arsene used Ramsey, Cazorla, Giroud, Ozil and Wilshere last night suggests at this stage he is willing to sacrifice league position for any sort of silverware

Zabojnik

Even though I have the original and DLC installed, I have to download DX:HR - Director's Cut in full? It's basically the same game, ffs.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
WHAT'S GOING ON HERE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

tumblr_ma57wt5HbE1qkq43do1_500.gif

Chelsea may not be as big as Arsenal 'in the records book', but they're making their history *now* and as it stands they're one of the top, top clubs in the world.

The first club in London to win in Europe is massive.

haha, oh shit 6th even worse. I forgot about that.But yeah maybe Arsenal should take the risk.

Chelsea have a lot of players but a lot are useless.

If Arsenal can stay healthy then we have the best starting 11 in the league. I am satisfied with all our backups if they can stay healthy and perform to their maximum.

qindarka

Banned
haha, oh shit 6th even worse. I forgot about that.But yeah maybe Arsenal should take the risk.

It's really not an either-or scenario. If a club is good enough to win the CL, they normally wouldn't have a problem with finishing in the top 4. What happened in 11/12 was just extraordinary and it might not be wise to take lessons from that.

elseanio

It's really not an either-or scenario. If a club is good enough to win the CL, they normally wouldn't have a problem with finishing in the top 4. What happened in 11/12 was just extraordinary and it might not be wise to take lessons from that.

Liverpool finished 5th in 2005, although we also started Anthony Le Tallec against Juve...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Yeah, Newcastle finished 5th that season. Let us never speak of it again.

operon

Chelsea have a lot of players but a lot are useless.

If Arsenal can stay healthy then we have the best starting 11 in the league. I am satisfied with all our backups if they can stay healthy and perform to their maximum.

Wenger really does have the faithful eating our of the palm of his hands. even they believe the rubbish that fourth place is a trophy.

Meier

Will Hughes is my dawg. He is going to impress the shit out of people whenever he does move to a PL club.

I started playing that Soccer Manager game while I was banned since why not. The one game a day and slow activity in the transfer market is frustrating.. but it seems like a pretty neat little diversion. Joined a league in its 6th season and one guy has over 100 players on Dortmund. Every young talent in world football is rotting on his bench. -____- I did just make a move to sign Agustin Allione though.

I'm really not sure I understand what you're getting at here. That season we finished 6th in the BPL, which is bad, but we came away with an FA Cup and Champions League double. I would finish 6th every season if we could have those returns.

You make even less sense given that you're throwing the word history about. Nobody is going to look back in 10 years and say "Remember the 2011/12 season when Arsenal and Chelsea finished 3rd and 6th respectively?". What people will remember is that Chelsea were the first London club to win the UCL and that we also won the FA Cup. Nobody will care about 6th, and Arsenal won't even get a mention.

Edit: Also, If Arsenal really thought that they could sacrifice the league in order to win a UCL then they should do it. A trophy for the fans would be nice. You could also add second London club to win the UCL to your long illustrious history.

qindarka

Banned
I'm really not sure I understand what you're getting at here. That season we finished 6th in the BPL, which is bad, but we came away with an FA Cup and Champions League double. I would finish 6th every season if we could have those returns.

You make even less sense given that you're throwing the word history about. Nobody is going to look back in 10 years and say "Remember the 2011/12 season when Arsenal and Chelsea finished 3rd and 6th respectively?". What people will remember is that Chelsea were the first London club to win the UCL and that we also won the FA Cup. Nobody will care about 6th, and Arsenal won't even get a mention.

Edit: Also, If Arsenal really thought that they could sacrifice the league in order to win a UCL then they should do it. A trophy for the fans would be nice. You could also add second London club to win the UCL to your long illustrious history.

I'd honestly take a mid-table finish if it meant we won the CL.

Not going to happen this season though. Would be satisfied with the quarter finals.

Fair enough, I do hope we win the thing one day. It is the only thing that stops us with our great history of truly being an elite side of Europe. But heck even Villa and forest have won it more than us haha. So small clubs like them and yourself can get lucky.

Even with your CL win, you will still only ever be the 3rd most popular club in London.

Fair enough, I do hope we win the thing one day. It is the only thing that stops us with our great history of truly being an elite side of Europe. But heck even Villa and forest have won it more than us haha. So small clubs like them and yourself can get lucky.

Even with your CL win, you will still only ever be the 3rd most popular club in London.
It's weird how the third most popular team in London sell more shirts globally than the two who precede them.

It's weird how the third most popular team in London sell more shirts globally than the two who precede them.

Last time I checked Arsenal and Chelsea were about the same despite us not winning anything. On average about 700-900 k a year over a five year period.

Although, I fully expect Arsenal to outsale Chelsea this year because of Ozil and next year because of the new Puma shirt.

Last time I checked Arsenal and Chelsea were about the same despite us not winning anything. On average about 700-900 k a year over a five year period.

Although, I fully expect Arsenal to outsale Chelsea this year because of Ozil and next year because of the new Puma shirt.
About the same... but less. And we have plenty of shirt selling names, don't worry.

operon

Loving this, we Liverpool fans may spend too much time watching the history channel, but at least we're not wasting our time watching the fantasy channel like Arsenal fans

Arnie

All kicking off at work.

Essentially CEO just took my round the block and offered me a job in such a way that I couldn't say no.

They're about to announce at the staff meeting.

But I don't even know if I want it.

I do get a bonus as part of my new contract that'd pay for my ps4.

Going on holiday to Sheffield and Preston from tomorrow. Couldn't have timed that better.

Meier

All kicking off at work.

Essentially CEO just took my round the block and offered me a job in such a way that I couldn't say no.

Going on holiday to Sheffield and Preston from tomorrow. Couldn't have timed that better.

Badass! Take it and if you're not sold after a bit, look for something new. Better to have some cash in your pocket.

And also congrats to Frank on passing the bar.

Yen

All kicking off at work.

Arnie, stop trying to make Shatner feel bad.

Or congrats, or something.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
All kicking off at work.

Why would you say no to moar money?

Congrats.
3AQmK.gif

Top Bottom