• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

Salvadora

The problem with pursuing these targets (including Benteke) is that they won't want to sit on the bench and Giroud shouldn't be sitting there either. We could do with someone flexible positionally.

Free Javier Hernández Balcázar.

His contract is up at the end of the season though so I can't see him going in Jan.
I know but you'll most likely have to wait it out anyway.

Can't see Arsenal getting anybody good enough in January.

Too hard. Beating Bayern to him would be near impossible and if Bayern pass how do we beat Chelsea? They can offer everything more than we can.
Maybe but it seems like Bayern are now out of the picture and Chelsea have to shift bodies themselves (aswell as the Lukaku thing) so they might not even go for him.

jtb

Banned
I wonder what kind of wages Bayern is offering him that he seems pretty adamant on not speaking to any other clubs, even ones that would probably be able to offer him comparable wages (ie. Madrid, Chelsea, etc.)

Salvadora

I think it was mentioned earlier, but Liverpool got Sturridge and Suarez in January for great prices. There are more that I forget about, but they're out there. The desire to buy should be there at any rate.

Being at the top of the table would strengthen our position.

jtb

Banned
The problem with pursuing these targets (including Benteke) is that they won't want to sit on the bench and Giroud shouldn't be sitting there either. We could do with someone flexible positionally.

Free Javier Hernández Balcázar.

it's time to go back to a 4-4-2ish shape against everyone but the top 6 or so teams and Europe, imo

Only 2.8m per goal.

Wasn't vidic a jan deal?
Evra too.

There are good players who can be signed in January so Arsenal may be able to find somebody but if they're looking for an established world class striker - that won't happen in January.

If they're going to take a chance on someone - that's a different kind of transfer really.

Suen

Moyes will buy Khedira while Benz will be sold to Liverpool, money goes to Operation Suarez, Wenger gives up and buys Kiessling. Problems solved.

Arnie

It's a case by case basis, there are top striking options out there.

Look at us going after Diego Costa in the summer. You scout the talent, trust in your judgement and you can have a top player. If we'd have signed Costa for that money everyone would be spaffing off now, but at the time it seemed like a lot. When we initially signed Suarez he cost a fair amount, over £20 million, but it's proven more than worth it.

I'm sure there are talents out there that Arsenal can go after, they just need to look elsewhere besides Suarez and Benzema. Seriously, I think whoever signs Benteke, even for £30 million, is laughing. That price is probably on a par with the £22 million we paid for Suarez, given the market inflation, but I'd say he's far more proven and just as promising. Won't get band for months at a time, either.

It's not been revealed what Diego Costa's new release clause is yet, has it? He ticks almost every box imo. Not a January target though, obviously.

A Sturridge-esque signing could be Pato. Ridiculously talented (like, potentially a top 5 forward talented), young, but it's questionable how hungry he is.

Otherwise, someone like Klose could do a job, maybe.

jtb

Banned
It's not been revealed what Diego Costa's new release clause is yet, has it? He ticks almost every box imo. Not a January target though, obviously.

A Sturridge-esque signing could be Pato. Ridiculously talented, young, but it's questionable how hungry he is.

Pato is about as injury prone as it gets, this side of Diaby. no thanks.

and if Costa has a release clause, we should move ASAP for him. because if we don't, someone else will.

Dibbz

A Sturridge-esque signing could be Pato. Ridiculously talented, young, but it's questionable how hungry he is.

Pato's made of glass though isn't he?

edit:- 3 arsebros commenting on someones injury record lel

L1NETT

I just think benteke isn't worth anything near 30m. I know inflation blah blah blah, but another big lump up top isn't what arsenal need IMO. Someone who can stretch it in the Anelka Henry mold would suit far more.

And a cb is a big priority too.

Othewise

Is Pato even still a footballer?

Clegg

It's not been revealed what Diego Costa's new release clause is yet, has it? He ticks almost every box imo.

You know what would happen if Arsenal's medical staff got their hands on Pato.

He would DIE

Salvadora

Pato is about as injury prone as it gets, this side of Diaby. no thanks.

and if Costa has a release clause, we should move ASAP for him. because if we don't, someone else will.
Will Costa want to move away from Spain in a world cup year? I'm not sure he would look at us as a step up either when compared to what he could get.

Arnie

I value indestructibility highly. Giroud is an unparalleled physical specimen.

There was a point in the match today when Suarez went into a collision with Chesney and he looked genuinely hurt and I seriously thought he'd have to go off. Next minute he's latching onto Coutinho's pass and crossing the ball. The man's physically ridiculous. Can't remember him ever being subbed through injury.

Sounds like Nicky PowPow is doing great at Wigan. Good stuff. Can't wait to get him back next season.

Henriquez scoring goals in La Liga. Will probably sell him over there for a few million in a couple of years.

K1LLER7

How much will WBA's Berahinho (?) go for this summer/winter?

Also can he play CM? If so, Moyes should get on it and forget about Khedira.

K1LLER7

Sounds like Nicky PowPow is doing great at Wigan. Good stuff. Can't wait to get him back next season.

Henriquez scoring goals in La Liga. Will probably sell him over there for a few million in a couple of years.
Is he playing as a striker/10 or CM?

Not seen much of him at CM.

Clegg

Wigan have him playing as a striker though. He'll never get a game there for us.

Henriquez is only 19. He may still have a future at United.

Wigan have him playing as a striker though. He'll never get a game there for us.

Henriquez is only 19. He may still have a future at United.
He's playing, that's the important thing and seems like everything goes through him.

Should all stand him in good stead. Never been convinced he's a CM anyway.

K1LLER7

Lol

I remember SAF saying he would play as a CM. Seems like he's excelled in a #9/#10 position. Wonder if he'll stick to that position from now on. Didn't seem all that at CM from the very little I saw of him.

We need to find a decent CM. Moyes get Cabaye pls.

Meier

I don't think Dortmund will be able to bring in a decent striker who isn't cup tied in January, so if they get to the group stage, I don't see any scenario where they sell Lewa.

Top Bottom