• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

L1NETT

When do we all admit to ourselves that Ramsey's been injecting copious amounts of steroids into his meaty arsecheeks?

Or he's always been quality which is why SAF wanted him but shawcross slicing off one of his legs didn't exactly help his career.

Lightning

Banned
@samuelj29060: Wenger on Dortmund's 6-1 win against Stuttgart: "I wanted something more testing for them. Unfortunately, they had a good friendly." #bvb

Even Wenger agrees that Stuttgart are not good for anything!

Suen

When do we all admit to ourselves that Ramsey's been injecting copious amounts of steroids into his meaty arsecheeks?
You do have to wonder how players can suddenly show so much quality out of nowhere. How many of us thought Ramsey would be this good a year ago?

Zabojnik

Juve won, Milan lost, Toro managed to stop Roma, future Juve star and Balon d'Or winner Berardi scored a hattrick for Sassuolo, Wilbz is back. It doesn't get much better than this.

Wilbur

Banned
Juve won, Milan lost, Toro managed to stop Roma, future Juve star and Balon d'Or winner Berardi scored a hattrick for Sassuolo, Wilbz is back. It doesn't get much better than this.

Wait until Tuesday when Moyes qualifies for the second round and Juventus show up that shit Madrid defence for the frauds they are, Zabo <3

Salvadora

Wilshere will have a Ramsey style reincarnation, hopefully.

At least with him we've seen what he can do so it won't be such a surprise. Dancing around Xavi & Iniesta like they're nothing.

At least with him we've seen what he can do so it won't be such a surprise. Dancing around Xavi & Iniesta like they're nothing.

I still watch that game from time to time. Mindboggling how good he was on that night.

Suen

At the moment I'm more worried that he'll be the white Diaby.

pulga

Banned
Wait until Tuesday when Moyes qualifies for the second round and Juventus show up that shit Madrid defence for the frauds they are, Zabo <3

They really are fucking shit, it's amazing. We're getting la decimated this year if Carlo doesn't fix this. Might be wise to dip into the winter market. Don't know who we could buy though. On paper, Carvajal - Varane - Ramos - Marcelo are a fantastic backline. Sigh.

Wilbur

Banned
blablurn turn away now lest you want to feel the collective ejaculate of me and my footygaf peers hit a computer screen

trying to take out bits but its all beautiful

Jürgen Klopp is pondering the similarities between himself and Arsène Wenger, between his Borussia Dortmund team and Arsenal which, on the face of it, appear to be numerous. Klopp, however, does not see it. "He likes having the ball, playing football, passes … it's like an orchestra," the Dortmund manager says, pretending to play the violin. "But it's a silent song, yeah? I like heavy metal."

"For me, he is Sir Arsène Wenger, he is really something, I love him," Klopp adds, before miming a polite handshake. "But I'm this guy, with high fives. I always want it loud. I want to have this … " Klopp makes the sound of an exploding bomb. (An article with him demands stage direction).

"If Barcelona's team of the last four years were the first one that I saw play when I was four years of age ... with their serenity, winning 5-0, 6-0 … I would have played tennis. Sorry, that is not enough for me. What I love is that there are some things you can do in football to allow each team to win most of the matches.

"It is not serenity football, it is fighting football – that is what I like. What we call in German – English [football] … rainy day, heavy pitch, everybody is dirty in the face and they go home and can't play football for the next four weeks. This is Borussia.

"When I watch Arsenal in the last 10 years, it is nearly perfect football, but we all know they didn't win a title. In Britain they say that they like Arsenal but they have to win something. Who wins the title? Chelsea, but with different football, I would say. This is the philosophy of Arsène Wenger. I love this but I cannot coach this because I am a different guy. You think many things are similar? I hope so in some moments, but there are big differences, too."

Klopp peppers the conversation with tennis references. He was not impressed when his own meltdown at the fourth official that saw him sent off in the Champions League defeat at Napoli in September was attributed, in some quarters, to the pressure he felt. "No, I make this fucking face when I play tennis. That's the truth."

He remembers his one and only meeting with Sir Alex Ferguson as lasting for two minutes and coming "during the most shitty moment of my life". He encountered Ferguson at Wembley after Dortmund had lost last season's Champions League final to Bayern Munich. "He said 'great season' to me," Klopp says, before indicating how his own chin had been on the floor.

It would be interesting to hear what Ferguson thinks of Klopp's look – the jeans and trainers and black-rimmed spectacles – given his more traditional sartorial values. "I don't think I have a chapter in his book," Klopp says. "Chapter One: How is Klopp looking?

"I'm sorry, he is British," Klopp continues. "You drink tea at four o'clock in the afternoon and nobody else knows why in the rest of the world. You drive on the wrong side of the road. We are different. But I'm sure I can have two days and two nights with Sir Alex Ferguson. I don't know what he drinks. Red wine, OK. He can have his red wine. I prefer beer.

"But we are like we are. He worked with Ryan Giggs for 20-odd years and when Ryan Giggs hears Ferguson's name, he doesn't go like this [Klopp pretends to vomit]. That is the best you can do in your life. Every day, every year, all the talk ... you know everything about this guy and you still like each other. That says everything about Sir Alex Ferguson."

Klopp loves to laugh and his is a very big laugh. He jokes that his ugly face is one problem and he turns to the journalist from the Sun. "You have the same problem," he says, uproariously. He has all the trimmings of the charismatic maverick and it is put to him that he would get on well with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, with whom he would like to work. "Crazy players love me," Klopp says. "I don't know why."

"Borussia Dortmund is the only club in the world where if I speak to a young player, he knows that I am his coach for the next four-and-a-half years," Klopp says. "We want to have this situation. The players are similar to the journalists. They always think: 'Ah, he says this and then Real Madrid call and he is away.' But this is the message: Everybody can call but nothing will happen. This is for sure and then we will see what's with the players.

"It makes me proud to hear that some Arsenal fans might want me, but it's not important for me to be proud. My mother is proud. It's a better feeling than if nobody knows me but it doesn't help me in the morning, it doesn't help me in the evening and it doesn't help me through the day."

Klopp's connection with Dortmund is total. He talks emotively about how the club is "worth falling in love with because this is pure football" and, also, the unique thrill of emerging from the dark and narrow tunnel at the Westfalenstadion, in which he has to stoop at various points, to be assailed by the colour and noise.

"It's a little bit like when you are born and your mother is [Klopp makes a face like a woman in labour]. Then, you come out and you see the best of the world," he says.

Klopp is the incurable romantic. To him Dortmund are the Rebel Alliance to Bayern's Death Star, but his club can compete. The players have an average age of 25 and they will enter their prime years over the course of Klopp's contract. "The important thing is new ideas, not money," he says. "It is important to make the next step. You always want to be the team that can beat the one with more money."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/03/borussia-dortmund-jurgen-klopp-arsenal

Lightning

Banned
I can only see Wilshere playing against United if Flamini doesn't recover in time. I'm certain Wenger will go back to his double pivot of Flamini/Arteta in our midfield for United if both players are available. That would be the wise choice too as it will help with those counter attacks when Ramsey/Ozil/Cazorla and co are busy trying to score.

Suen

They really are fucking shit, it's amazing. We're getting la decimated this year if Carlo doesn't fix this. Might be wise to dip into the winter market. Don't know who we could buy though. On paper, Carvajal - Varane - Ramos - Marcelo are a fantastic backline. Sigh.
Only Varane and Marcelo (aside from his latest game) are doing a decent job. Ramos is as bad as he can be, albeit without the cards and Carvajal is mediocre...surely this is not how he played in Leverkusen?

spidye

"Klopp is the incurable romantic. To him Dortmund are the Rebel Alliance to Bayern's Death Star"

:eek:lololololol

I'm deader than dead

Wilbur

Banned

Yeah it really is. Not really sure what the problem is. For me, Madrid just don't really look like a team. For all Mou's faults while he was there, it wasn't often they looked so absolutely disjointed. Rayo were extremely unlucky to go away with a loss last night.

Zabojnik

"It's a little bit like when you are born and your mother is [Klopp makes a face like a woman in labour]

Is there a video of this?

du0l.gif

Elchele

"If Barcelona's team of the last four years were the first one that I saw play when I was four years of age ... with their serenity, winning 5-0, 6-0 … I would have played tennis. Sorry, that is not enough for me. What I love is that there are some things you can do in football to allow each team to win most of the matches.

based Klopp

Elchele

It would be interesting to hear what Ferguson thinks of Klopp's look &#8211; the jeans and trainers and black-rimmed spectacles &#8211; given his more traditional sartorial values. "I don't think I have a chapter in his book," Klopp says. "Chapter One: How is Klopp looking?

"I'm sorry, he is British," Klopp continues. "You drink tea at four o'clock in the afternoon and nobody else knows why in the rest of the world. You drive on the wrong side of the road. We are different. But I'm sure I can have two days and two nights with Sir Alex Ferguson. I don't know what he drinks. Red wine, OK. He can have his red wine. I prefer beer.

:lol

Arnie

Does annoy me how everyone fawns over him talking shit yet wants Brendan to be monosyllabic.

Not everyone needs the vocabulary of David Moyes.

phaze

"But we are like we are. He worked with Ryan Giggs for 20-odd years and when Ryan Giggs hears Ferguson's name, he doesn't go like this [Klopp pretends to vomit]. That is the best you can do in your life.

i can't

Top Bottom