• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2020/2021 |OT| Attending every single game from our home stands.

Dark Rider

[Fabrizio Romano] Papu Gomez is now flying with his agent Riso to Sevilla: “I love Atalanta but I’m ready and happy for this new chapter”. Done deal for €5,5m + €3m add ons. Papu will sign today his contract as new Sevilla player for €3m salary [after taxes] until 2024. ⚪🔴

Official: Sevilla sign Papu Gomez from Atalanta

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Atlético are the best home team in Europe. 15 matches, 13 victories and 2 draws since football resumed without fans. Haven't lost at home in all competitions since December 2019

And they are top of the league table and doing well in the UCL

Dark Rider

You’d almost think Lampard is Redknapp’s nephew or something. Wait a minute...

If Redknapp don't rate Tûchel he need to back it up with tactical analysis of Tûchel games in my opinion but from the looks of it that is not how Redknapp decided how great/bad Tûchel is.

Dark Rider

OFFICIAL : Tuchel joins Chelsea

DonJorginho

Banned
[Sky Sports] Harry Redknapp attacks Thomas Tûchel: "Who says he is a great manager? Winning titles at PSG does not make you a great manager, what does that prove?”

DonJorginho DonJorginho your man is getting slagged here

If winning the french league is so easy why didn't he do it himself in his 30+ year career? Might have had more to show for his career than just one measly FA Cup.

583763018.jpg.0.jpg

DKehoe

If Redknapp don't rate Tûchel he need to back it up with tactical analysis of Tûchel games in my opinion but from the looks of it that is not how Redknapp decided how great/bad Tûchel is.
The people inside the bubble of English football don’t pay attention to what goes on outside it and basically think it doesn’t count. So it doesn’t matter that Tuchel has been successful with two big clubs in Dortmund and PSG. To them Frank Lampard coming 6th in the Championship is a more relevant qualification than that because that happened in England.

DonJorginho

Banned
Tuchel is one of the best coaches around, luckily you and I both know that, there is a reason coaches like Pep and Klopp rate him so highly, he has got question marks over his relationships with the hierarchy of the clubs he has gone to but he will do fine here I am sure.

The people inside the bubble of English football don’t pay attention to what goes on outside it and basically think it doesn’t count. So it doesn’t matter that Tuchel has been successful with two big clubs in Dortmund and PSG. To them Frank Lampard coming 6th in the Championship is a more relevant qualification than that because that happened in England.

I mean what Tuchel did with Mainz was already commendable, he has shown he can get great things from his squad, no matter the amount of talent within his ranks, he is one of the best pragmatic coaches around, yet has a clear philosophy which manages to transcend into whatever formation he chooses.

He is the perfect coach for Chelsea, charming personality to win over the fans, great man manager to motivate his players, the coaching skills to be able to really provide a title challenge and hopefully major honours, the 1 on 1 skills to improve his players and a great knack for bringing through young talent which all Chelsea fans can admire.

I have wanted Tuchel since Conte left so this is a dream come true for me, hoping it goes as well as I believe it will.

GettyImages-1230806093.jpg

Dark Rider

If winning the french league is so easy why didn't he do it himself in his 30+ year career? Might have had more to show for his career than just one measly FA Cup.

583763018.jpg.0.jpg

He manged the three lions mate.

You are absolutely correct, big part of it is the English speaking media capitalizing on the language barrier and their audience dependency on them to tell them about the rest of the world.

Dark Rider

Tuchel is one of the best coaches around, luckily you and I both know that, there is a reason coaches like Pep and Klopp rate him so highly, he has got question marks over his relationships with the hierarchy of the clubs he has gone to but he will do fine here I am sure.

It is a question of how much power from the board he will get against the players at the moment for me.
It will start good I think regardless but it will be clear how much power he has by the end of next season :pie_thinking:

He was turned down for the job if you're being serious actually mate :)

I was being sarcastic, I was going to add "(technically he didn't but that is semantics) Tûchel can't claim that!"

DonJorginho

Banned
It is a question of how much power from the board he will get against the players at the moment for me.
It will start good I think regardless but it will be clear how much power he has by the end of next season :pie_thinking:
I think he will get a similar amount of power as Sarri did, the ability to influence the club to a few major signings that he felt he needed, whilst also accepting the club's ideals, aims and the odd signing from Roman.

I can see us targeting Marquinhos, Alaba (if he doesn't join Real) and/or a midfielder similar to Camavinga or Barella in terms of Tuchel targets, alongside a few boardroom signings like Haaland and Donnarumma potentially.

Just got to hope the club give him time, I don't see it taking as long as Lampard's plan but there will likely be some minor teething problems due to the major tactical shake up in TT's system compared to Frank's.
I was being sarcastic, I was going to add "(technically he didn't but that is semantics) Tûchel can't claim that!"
I thought you were, just double checking as can never be too sure these days aha! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DonJorginho

Banned
Tuchel's opening training session is already looking far better than any of Frank's that I have watched during his time here.

A clear emphasis on tactics, build up, pressing and individual player instructions which The Athletic were keen to note that a lack of those tactical instructions were a key element at play for Lampard's dismissal.

Dark Rider

I think he will get a similar amount of power as Sarri did, the ability to influence the club to a few major signings that he felt he needed, whilst also accepting the club's ideals, aims and the odd signing from Roman.

How much power does Roman signed players have? :pie_thinking:

I can see us targeting Marquinhos, Alaba (if he doesn't join Real) and/or a midfielder similar to Camavinga or Barella in terms of Tuchel targets, alongside a few boardroom signings like Haaland and Donnarumma potentially.

That is a lot of big signings that will alarm FFP to look into the books. Also PSG will come after you.

Just got to hope the club give him time, I don't see it taking as long as Lampard's plan but there will likely be some minor teething problems due to the major tactical shake up in TT's system compared to Frank's.

The players will bounce now for sure, it is a question how long they will sustain it.

I thought you were, just double checking as can never be too sure these days aha! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sorry I thought it was clear since it didn't happen :messenger_beaming:

Dark Rider

Great signing for Arsenal, reckon you guys will entertain his time at Arsenal being extended at all or is he too valuable to let go at any cost?

He has a problem in his knee that will never go away so for us it is a test to see if he can adopt and change his style while maintaining top player status.

DonJorginho

Banned
How much power does Roman signed players have? :pie_thinking:
A lot more than normal players, if you don't get them performing, chances are you will be out your job.
That is a lot of big signings that will alarm FFP to look into the books. Also PSG will come after you.
Our books are quite good atm tbh, could see us have another spending spree this summer (not as big as last summer obviously) but with Donnarumma's contract aswell as Alaba's expiring it could be some shrewd business, which would allow us to get Haaland without feeling the heat from FFP too badly.

And let PSG come, we ain't scared :messenger_sunglasses:
The players will bounce now for sure, it is a question how long they will sustain it.
I think it could last a long time, all depends on how they react to TT's coaching.
He has a problem in his knee that will never go away so for us it is a test to see if he can adopt and change his style while maintaining top player status.
One to look closely at for sure, always liked watching him last season for Sociedad.

DKehoe

Our books are quite good atm tbh, could see us have another spending spree this summer (not as big as last summer obviously) but with Donnarumma's contract aswell as Alaba's expiring it could be some shrewd business, which would allow us to get Haaland without feeling the heat from FFP too badly.
Do you really see Chelsea going for another keeper?

Last edited:

Dark Rider

A lot more than normal players, if you don't get them performing, chances are you will be out your job.

That is a problem then if those players abuse that power.

And let PSG come, we ain't scared :messenger_sunglasses:

Time will tell but I really don't think you should be fine with PSG coming after you :pie_thinking:

I think it could last a long time, all depends on how they react to TT's coaching.

I agree on it all depend how they react to TT couching.

One to look closely at for sure, always liked watching him last season for Sociedad.

Yup hopefully he will overcome and impress all.

DonJorginho

Banned
Do you really see Chelsea going for another keeper?
100%.

The aim was always to move Kepa on and bring in a starting keeper which would make Mendy our #2.

There have been many reliable reports of Roman wanting a real top class keeper, he wanted Oblak and Ter Stegen last summer but couldn't get the funds as they were both £120m plus moves.

Donnarumma has his contract up in the summer so would be a nominal compensation fee at best, problem would be Raiola but the club have worked on repairing our relationship with him recently since the Lukaku debacle.

DKehoe

100%.

The aim was always to move Kepa on and bring in a starting keeper which would make Mendy our #2.

There have been many reliable reports of Roman wanting a real top class keeper, he wanted Oblak and Ter Stegen last summer but couldn't get the funds as they were both £120m plus moves.

Donnarumma has his contract up in the summer so would be a nominal compensation fee at best, problem would be Raiola but the club have worked on repairing our relationship with him recently since the Lukaku debacle.
I guess that makes sense but it does depend on being able to ship Kepa out. And as a United fan I can tell you, trying to sell underperforming but highly paid players is not easy.

DonJorginho

Banned
I guess that makes sense but it does depend on being able to ship Kepa out. And as a United fan I can tell you, trying to sell underperforming but highly paid players is not easy.
I agree wholeheartedly, especially when we want to recuperate most of that £72m fee...Still makes me shudder that we spent that on him.

If he doesn't leave then it could be the case of loaning him out and accepting our failure and bringing in Gigi anyway, it wouldn't be the first time we have done such a thing.

I think though it is also very likely he can find his way into Tuchel's plans, he does fit some of the boxes for a keeper in Tuchel's system and he seems to me like a player who thrives off support and confidence from their coach. Perhaps if Tuchel puts a shoulder round him and makes clear his belief in Kepa, we could see him play similarly to his first season under Sarri.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Good couple of days for Arsenal with beating Southampton 3-1 yesterday and finalizing the loan move or Ødegaard today. Wish it had an option to buy, but like the loan to see if he works out and trying to buy over the summer or go for another creative midfielder if he flops.

Dark Rider

I see that players did their best for the bounce match although they did not get the full 3 points

Good couple of days for Arsenal with beating Southampton 3-1 yesterday and finalizing the loan move or Ødegaard today. Wish it had an option to buy, but like the loan to see if he works out and trying to buy over the summer or go for another creative midfielder if he flops.

Treat our boy right and give him good playtime :messenger_beaming:

Dark Rider

Crouch's message to Kane: Winning with Tottenham would mean 10 times more than with Real Madrid.At Tottenham, if he finishes there or he manages to win something there then they'll have a statue built for him.

mekes

It is sad about Lampard, I thought he could have turned it around. But time is the one thing that big league managers rarely seem to get. There are obviously parallels to Solskjaer at United. I'm sure OGS would have been sacked at Chelsea for the type of form that he had previously shown at United.

Roman doesnt play tho. Youd have to say that the Chelsea manager spot is likely the most high pressure football job in England.

I wish Frank all the best. When it was good, it was good. And you cant take that away from the man. I feel like OGS has only just improved with his man management this very season, his 3rd with the club.

ManUtd will have a lot of trouble finishing in the top 4 this season. The number of lucky wins we got ended at Sheffield Utd. Fernandes has not scored or assisted in the last 4 games in the PL.

Dark Rider

[L’Équipe] Laporta on Leonardo’s quotes about Messi: “It shows their lack of experience at this level. PSG have lots to learn in football... I don’t know if PSG can sign him, maybe if they keep breaking FFP. If that happens, I hope UEFA,FIFA,and the Court of Arbitration for Sport will be firm.”

He has been going wild for a while, the elections still months away so let us see how much he escalate.

Dark Rider

Mauricio Pochettino: "Here, Ramos would find a great club with the obsession of always winning" - Football Espana

[Sky Sports] Klopp: No £80m centre-backs available

They can have Harry Maguire. He’s good and poor this season. When he’s been poor he’s been a disaster.

cormack12

Gold Member
Mighty Liverpool play today!! I feel of we can keep City in sight until end of Feb/beginning of March we can possibly end on a steal.

Top Bottom