• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2020/2021 |OT| Attending every single game from our home stands.

DKehoe

You guys rely on him way too much its like if he doesn't perform you drop points.
Even when United rest him they always seem to end up bringing him on part way through the game to bail them out. There’s so many talented players in that United squad. They shouldn’t need to rely on Fernandes so much.

Dark Rider

Tuanzebe probably.

The draw against Arsenal, btw, is the 5th game where Bruno has no contributed anything in attack in the PL.

I suspect Ed want to get good price for Harry first otherwise he's staying.

Mighty Liverpool play today!! I feel of we can keep City in sight until end of Feb/beginning of March we can possibly end on a steal.

How do you fancy Liverpool chances in the UCL this season?

Even when United rest him they always seem to end up bringing him on part way through the game to bail them out. There’s so many talented players in that United squad. They shouldn’t need to rely on Fernandes so much.

They rely on him because he has more motivation than the rest.

Dark Rider

Messi´s contract with FCB: 555 mill € in 4 seasons

EtBEQv5XMAA_Rl9

[Marta Ramon/RAC1] Messi will take legal action against the newspaper EL MUNDO. His lawyer is preparing a lawsuit against the newspaper and is studying how to involve club people with access to his contract.

Press Release: Leo Messi, club "categorically denies any responsibility" for leak

:pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Javier Tebas - President of La Liga] The delicate financial situation of FC Barcelona is not Messi's fault but rather the devastating effects of COVID. Without a pandemic, the revenue generated by the best player in history offset that cost. Some media are not treating this issue fairly.

mekes

[Sky Sports Premier League] Reports this morning claim Sergio Ramos is ready to quit Real Madrid this summer and is targeting a move to Manchester United...

DKehoe DKehoe mekes mekes T TaylorSwiftFan

Haha. It will be like last time. About 4 or 5 years ago he did the same thing. Trying to get better wages again.

And as much as Ramos is a GOAT level defender, I wouldn't want him at this stage of his career. At United we need somebody with speed to play next to Maguire who is slow. And preferably somebody who can stay for many years.

Dark Rider

Already time for another “Sergio Ramos to Man Utd” story? Must be looking for a new contract from Madrid. He’s played that card quite a few times now.

If Ed take the bait how much he would pay Ramos and Real Madrid?

Haha. It will be like last time. About 4 or 5 years ago he did the same thing. Trying to get better wages again.

And as much as Ramos is a GOAT level defender, I wouldn't want him at this stage of his career. At United we need somebody with speed to play next to Maguire who is slow. And preferably somebody who can stay for many years.

While longevity is in question I think Manchester United need a leader in defense badly.

Last edited:

DKehoe

If Ed take the bait how much he would pay Ramos and Real Madrid?

While longevity is in question I think Manchester United need a leader in defense badly.
I really doubt he would. Ramos isn’t actually looking to move so it just seems like a waste of time to bother playing along with his act just so that he can use the club for leverage.

Like mekes mekes said what United need is someone with pace to compliment Maguire, who hasn’t been nearly as bad as some make him out to be. So while Ramos would be an upgrade on the defence overall he’s not the profile of player they need just now and would come with huge wage demands in the hypothetical scenario that he was actually serious about this. Ideally Axel Tuanzebe can be the person who at some point in the future nails down a first team spot and builds a partnership with Maguire. Until then we’ll see if they bring in someone else, especially now that they are finally shipping off Marcos Rojo. I’m also a big fan of Eric Bailly, partly because he’s fucking mental but also because he compliments Maguire well.

Dark Rider

I really doubt he would. Ramos isn’t actually looking to move so it just seems like a waste of time to bother playing along with his act just so that he can use the club for leverage.

Like mekes mekes said what United need is someone with pace to compliment Maguire, who hasn’t been nearly as bad as some make him out to be. So while Ramos would be an upgrade on the defence overall he’s not the profile of player they need just now and would come with huge wage demands in the hypothetical scenario that he was actually serious about this. Ideally Axel Tuanzebe can be the person who at some point in the future nails down a first team spot and builds a partnership with Maguire. Until then we’ll see if they bring in someone else, especially now that they are finally shipping off Marcos Rojo. I’m also a big fan of Eric Bailly, partly because he’s fucking mental but also because he compliments Maguire well.
I’d be shocked if Woodward spends the kind of cash needed to get Ramos this summer. As for how much he’s worth, I would say no more than GBP 40M at his age.

In before Ramos continue playing at the high level until he's 40 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
About the price nothing less than 200M, whatever time you have with him he is pulling your team kicking and screaming into glory and that is priceless for the fans.

With Mustafi?

No. He’s just not great, barely playing and his contract is up this summer so they’re trying to get a little for him since he’s unlikely to play much if at all between now and then.

I was just joking about Arsenal sending him there to lose Liverpool games since Mustafi is a liability sometimes that loses Arsenal games.

Dark Rider

[Fabrizio Romano] Dele Alli > PSG deal is *not* happening. Definitely collapsed. The player was pushing to leave Spurs but Tottenham refused to let him go because they didn’t find a replacement. It’s over.

Night.Ninja Night.Ninja Can you enlighten us why? he won't be allowed to play anyway so what is the point of keeping without replacement?
This also keep his wadges on the club bill despite not playing him.

Dark Rider

[Football Daily] Steve Bruce when asked about PSG's Idrissa Gueye to Newcastle: "No Neymar was the one we were looking at, but that didn't quite happen."

Night.Ninja

Banned
[Fabrizio Romano] Dele Alli > PSG deal is *not* happening. Definitely collapsed. The player was pushing to leave Spurs but Tottenham refused to let him go because they didn’t find a replacement. It’s over.

Night.Ninja Night.Ninja Can you enlighten us why? he won't be allowed to play anyway so what is the point of keeping without replacement?
This also keep his wadges on the club bill despite not playing him.

I reckon Levy doesn't want to let him go because he knows how good he is, especially with how shit we have been playing recently he would prefer If he was playing for Tottenham scoring not PSG.

I hope jose is not in charge next season, he's been a terrible appointment so far.

Dark Rider

I reckon Levy doesn't want to let him go because he knows how good he is, especially with how shit we have been playing recently he would prefer If he was playing for Tottenham scoring not PSG.

I hope jose is not in charge next season, he's been a terrible appointment so far.

Levy will have to either convince Dele to make amends with Jose or convince Jose to play him or both otherwise it is a waste of money to keep a player you will never play.

Unless Levy have already decided that Jose will not be at the club regardless of how this season end.

Dark Rider

FC Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge on RB Leipzig centre-back Dayot Upamecano: "The fact that Chelsea and Liverpool are also interested in him proves that he has very good qualities. He can replace David Alaba"

Night.Ninja

Banned
Levy will have to either convince Dele to make amends with Jose or convince Jose to play him or both otherwise it is a waste of money to keep a player you will never play.

Unless Levy have already decided that Jose will not be at the club regardless of how this season end.

If Tottenham keep playing like this jose won't be at spurs next season. Jose has made the decision to not play Dele if we were winning games or even playing well it wouldn't be an issue but we ain't doing either.

I sure levy would want him back in the team but jose Cv speaks volumes so levy has to put his trust in him.

Dark Rider

German government won't allow exceptions for travel bans for Champions League games. As things stand at the moment, RB Leipzig will not be able to host the first knockout round first leg against Liverpool FC, which is scheduled for February 16.

Dark Rider

If Tottenham keep playing like this jose won't be at spurs next season. Jose has made the decision to not play Dele if we were winning games or even playing well it wouldn't be an issue but we ain't doing either.

I sure levy would want him back in the team but jose Cv speaks volumes so levy has to put his trust in him.

I Jose say sell Dele and Levy does not do that then it would be hard to believe Levy have full trust in Jose.

DKehoe

In before Ramos continue playing at the high level until he's 40 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
About the price nothing less than 200M, whatever time you have with him he is pulling your team kicking and screaming into glory and that is priceless for the fans.
It wouldn't shock me if he's still playing at a high level years from now. Seems like he takes good care of himself. But again, as good as he is, he's just not the type of defender United need right now. Buying the best available player isn't necessarily always the best transfer strategy. You've got to look for what's lacking in the overall dynamic of the team and, like I said above, what United need is a central defender with pace. Also if you are going to be investing serious money like that then a defensive midfielder and the right wing should be the priority. But it's a moot point anyway because Ramos doesn't actually want to come to United. His agent is just looking to get him a better contract.

Do you really think that in 2021 Sergio Ramos would go for 200M? I know Madrid fans love him and rate him highly. But that seems incredibly expensive for a 34 year old central defender.

Moogle11

Banned
I was just joking about Arsenal sending him there to lose Liverpool games since Mustafi is a liability sometimes that loses Arsenal games.

Ah, well they dodged that bullet as Schalke bought hi to replace their defender who went to Liverpool. Glad to be rid of him.

Solid window for Arsenal as the main hope was just getting some dead weight out and that happened with getting rid of Ozil, Mustafi, Socratic and Kolasinac. Also nice to send Maitland-Niles and Willock it on loan to get some more game time and see if they can develop into players for us or just build some value to sell in an upcoming window for more than they would mostly riding the bench for us.

Didn’t expect any buys given the financial situation, hoped for a loan to help with midfield creativity and attacking and Ödegaard should provide that and help with chasing a Champion’s League spot (which will be a very tough and unlikely hill to climb, but at least like our chances more now than before even if still slim).

Moogle11

Banned
Rough loss for Arsenal to Wolves today. That red card on Luiz was awfully a harsh. On the one hand, hard to argue as it's just the rule, but it was tough to see any contact if it was there and any contact was incidental with the players foot maybe barely clipping him as he was closing in from behind. Seems a case where maybe it could be a penalty and not a sending off for incidental contact in those kind of situations.

Leno's later red card was just a boneheaded play by him punching the ball outside the box.

Dark Rider

It wouldn't shock me if he's still playing at a high level years from now. Seems like he takes good care of himself. But again, as good as he is, he's just not the type of defender United need right now. Buying the best available player isn't necessarily always the best transfer strategy. You've got to look for what's lacking in the overall dynamic of the team and, like I said above, what United need is a central defender with pace. Also if you are going to be investing serious money like that then a defensive midfielder and the right wing should be the priority. But it's a moot point anyway because Ramos doesn't actually want to come to United. His agent is just looking to get him a better contract.

Do you really think that in 2021 Sergio Ramos would go for 200M? I know Madrid fans love him and rate him highly. But that seems incredibly expensive for a 34 year old central defender.

You still also lack a decisive leader imho but you are right Ramos agent is just looking to get a better contract.
I don't think any club will pay 200M at his age but for us that would be the scrape bare minimum for someone as immense as Ramos :messenger_beaming:

Those fans will not be watching their club at least for a while.

Derby d'Italia Coppa Italia first leg. Inter merda.

You got the result in the end and I assume that is enough for you?

Ah, well they dodged that bullet as Schalke bought hi to replace their defender who went to Liverpool. Glad to be rid of him.

Solid window for Arsenal as the main hope was just getting some dead weight out and that happened with getting rid of Ozil, Mustafi, Socratic and Kolasinac. Also nice to send Maitland-Niles and Willock it on loan to get some more game time and see if they can develop into players for us or just build some value to sell in an upcoming window for more than they would mostly riding the bench for us.

Didn’t expect any buys given the financial situation, hoped for a loan to help with midfield creativity and attacking and Ödegaard should provide that and help with chasing a Champion’s League spot (which will be a very tough and unlikely hill to climb, but at least like our chances more now than before even if still slim).

What is the bare minimum for you for Arteta and the team to accomplish by the end of the season? :pie_thinking:
Also any rock bottom you would ask for a sacking?

His agent is a magician.

He does his best to get payed, he does a good work in marketing his client I wonder what else he can sell.

We are looking much better today than the last time we played Inter. Still, much more difficult second half, it feels like squeaky bum time.

It was.
What trophy do you fancy for Juventus this season? you are active in all three competitions at the moment.

Manchester United loving their GD boost.

Love the result. Weird to see Southampton the receiving end for exact scoreline in 2019.

This will go down as one of the states that will forever be mentioned about them.

Welcome to the Football Thread :messenger_beaming:
Who do you support?

Dark Rider

[Get French Football News] Marseille manager André Villas-Boas announces that he has offered his resignation this morning after the club signed Olivier Ntcham when he didn't want him

[Communiqué Officiel] OM announces disciplinary layoff of André Villas-Boas

What Ntcham think about it?

Last edited:
Welcome to the Football Thread :messenger_beaming:
Who do you support?
Cheers. I'm a Sunderland fan so the most exciting part of my year is waiting to see if there is another series of Sunderland 'til I die.

My wife supports Arsenal so I'm living the highs and lows of the Premier League vicariously. Leno's crazy move yesterday made me feel right at home.

Although it is for terrible reasons I'm loving the fact that there is wall to wall football right now.

Azurro

Banned
It was.
What trophy do you fancy for Juventus this season? you are active in all three competitions at the moment.

At the moment I don't know, the team is beginning to gel more but I don't want to get overly optimistic. We do seem to have a more solid midfield in terms of who plays there better, I really liked the BAM (Bentancur, Arthur, McKennie), and Kulu looks much better as a second striker than as a winger.

I mean, a couple of weeks ago, and especially at how we lost against Inter, I would have told you the Scudetto is over. However, if we beat Napoli in Turin we are only 4 points behind, so we are still in the race. Coppa Italia we have the return leg at home, so that's looking positive, and the Champions League is a coin toss, no team is looking incredible, bar maybe Manchester City, but it's no peak Bayern, let alone peak Real Madrid or peak Barcelona.

Dark Rider

Cheers. I'm a Sunderland fan so the most exciting part of my year is waiting to see if there is another series of Sunderland 'til I die.

My wife supports Arsenal so I'm living the highs and lows of the Premier League vicariously. Leno's crazy move yesterday made me feel right at home.

Although it is for terrible reasons I'm loving the fact that there is wall to wall football right now.

Welcome :messenger_beaming:
I thought Sunderland fans are enjoying the never ending Newcastle United take over saga and hope for a documentary.

At the moment I don't know, the team is beginning to gel more but I don't want to get overly optimistic. We do seem to have a more solid midfield in terms of who plays there better, I really liked the BAM (Bentancur, Arthur, McKennie), and Kulu looks much better as a second striker than as a winger.

I mean, a couple of weeks ago, and especially at how we lost against Inter, I would have told you the Scudetto is over. However, if we beat Napoli in Turin we are only 4 points behind, so we are still in the race. Coppa Italia we have the return leg at home, so that's looking positive, and the Champions League is a coin toss, no team is looking incredible, bar maybe Manchester City, but it's no peak Bayern, let alone peak Real Madrid or peak Barcelona.

I feel Juventus are in a special spot regarding what to focus on, on one hand having a 10th Scudetto in a row is a special round number and a statement by the club but on the other hand they don't have much time to squeeze more from Cristiano to get the UCL and it is an opportune year for you too since as you said the other top clubs are not in best shape now so can Juventus pull both off? or what to focus on?

Top Bottom