• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2020/2021 |OT| Attending every single game from our home stands.

Dark Rider

[OptaJoe] 1 - During the 9-0 defeat to Manchester United last night, Jan Bednarek became the first player in Premier League history to be sent off, give away a penalty and score an own goal in a single match. Hat-Trick.

Prison Mike

Banned
Cheers. I'm a Sunderland fan so the most exciting part of my year is waiting to see if there is another series of Sunderland 'til I die.

My wife supports Arsenal so I'm living the highs and lows of the Premier League vicariously. Leno's crazy move yesterday made me feel right at home.

Although it is for terrible reasons I'm loving the fact that there is wall to wall football right now.
Welcome

My brothers a sunderlamd fan we went to Wembley when u played us(city) in league Cup final

Moogle11

Banned
What is the bare minimum for you for Arteta and the team to accomplish by the end of the season? :pie_thinking:
Also any rock bottom you would ask for a sacking?

I don’t really have a bare minimum. I largely like what he and Edu are doing and want to see them get at least another year. The squad seems behind him, especially now that some of the disgruntled older players who weren’t playing and were probably not good for team morale finally got shipped out.

I’ve seen too many teams I follow change coaches/managers too often and just wallow in mediocrity. It’s also possible to keep one not succeeding too long of course, but I don’t think that’s the case here as I think we’re slowly going in the right direction. Changing managers and systems too often makes it difficult to improve. Especially with a young squad that needs to stay in a system and learn how to win.

So I don’t think there’s much that can go so wrong that I’d want him sacked. I’d say the main goal is at the least getting back to Europa League again as it’s important to at least have that money coming in to help fund transfers. Getting back to CL would be ideal, but I don’t think we’re good enough to get to 4th and Europa League is always a crap shoot as lots of luck is involved after the group stage and with knockout games late in tournaments. So I wouldn’t put that on him as something he has to do.

In my view, I like to see coaches/managers get 3-5 years unless things are clearly moving backward. They aren’t here as the club and squad was just in bad shape from the last few years of Wenger, then Emery made it worse as he was a bad sytlistic fit for the squad and the front office didn’t let him get the kind of players he needed and wanted. That front office is gone and I like the direction Arteta is trying to move the club in and progress is being made in both getting dead weight off the roster finally and on the pitch (though that’s been very up and down). So at the very least I’d give him next year to try and get back to the CL before even thinking about a sacking.

Prison Mike

Banned
Another 3 points and another clean sheet, ruben dias has been a monster signing for us the way he defends is what we needed so bad we never replaced vinny when he left and dias is showing hes the man only young too.

Azurro

Banned
I feel Juventus are in a special spot regarding what to focus on, on one hand having a 10th Scudetto in a row is a special round number and a statement by the club but on the other hand they don't have much time to squeeze more from Cristiano to get the UCL and it is an opportune year for you too since as you said the other top clubs are not in best shape now so can Juventus pull both off? or what to focus on?

Well, the thing is, it's not like it's one or the other, Juve will always try to win everything it can every year. The problem was that last year the team was full of really old, burned out stars, players that never achieved the level the management wanted or that were eternally injured. Players like Higuain, Matuidi, Rugani, Douglas Costa, Khedira were on big wages and contributed little.

So the team had to do this change regardless, because with that squad a steep decline could be seen a mile away. Bringing in old veterans with huge contracts would be a silly way to go since we are getting rid of old players already, stars in their prime are out of reach due to Covid, so it was time for shrewd market moves and perhaps one single big move (Chiesa) and it seems to be working so far. I think this team has more chances to win the CL than Sarri's or Allegri's last squad.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Great to see Lingard score on his debut for West Ham. He's been through a hard time recently and although it'll be strange to see him playing in a different kit I hope he smashes it during his time there.

Edit: and a second! Fantastic stuff.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

I don’t really have a bare minimum. I largely like what he and Edu are doing and want to see them get at least another year. The squad seems behind him, especially now that some of the disgruntled older players who weren’t playing and were probably not good for team morale finally got shipped out.

I’ve seen too many teams I follow change coaches/managers too often and just wallow in mediocrity. It’s also possible to keep one not succeeding too long of course, but I don’t think that’s the case here as I think we’re slowly going in the right direction. Changing managers and systems too often makes it difficult to improve. Especially with a young squad that needs to stay in a system and learn how to win.

So I don’t think there’s much that can go so wrong that I’d want him sacked. I’d say the main goal is at the least getting back to Europa League again as it’s important to at least have that money coming in to help fund transfers. Getting back to CL would be ideal, but I don’t think we’re good enough to get to 4th and Europa League is always a crap shoot as lots of luck is involved after the group stage and with knockout games late in tournaments. So I wouldn’t put that on him as something he has to do.

In my view, I like to see coaches/managers get 3-5 years unless things are clearly moving backward. They aren’t here as the club and squad was just in bad shape from the last few years of Wenger, then Emery made it worse as he was a bad sytlistic fit for the squad and the front office didn’t let him get the kind of players he needed and wanted. That front office is gone and I like the direction Arteta is trying to move the club in and progress is being made in both getting dead weight off the roster finally and on the pitch (though that’s been very up and down). So at the very least I’d give him next year to try and get back to the CL before even thinking about a sacking.

Fair enough and I agree with a lot here but the owner of the club always make me think there is a problem coming for some reason :pie_thinking:

I see you requested a permaban, I hope you are well and return in the future. Until then stay strong.

Another 3 points and another clean sheet, ruben dias has been a monster signing for us the way he defends is what we needed so bad we never replaced vinny when he left and dias is showing hes the man only young too.

I see your confidence rising. I'm looking to see how that translate in the next two rounds of the UCL.

Well, the thing is, it's not like it's one or the other, Juve will always try to win everything it can every year. The problem was that last year the team was full of really old, burned out stars, players that never achieved the level the management wanted or that were eternally injured. Players like Higuain, Matuidi, Rugani, Douglas Costa, Khedira were on big wages and contributed little.

So the team had to do this change regardless, because with that squad a steep decline could be seen a mile away. Bringing in old veterans with huge contracts would be a silly way to go since we are getting rid of old players already, stars in their prime are out of reach due to Covid, so it was time for shrewd market moves and perhaps one single big move (Chiesa) and it seems to be working so far.

I never said it has to be one or the other in fact I wondered if Juventus can pull both this season but the thing is I often hear from the Juve camp in general talks about let's focus on this or that so it make me wonder.

The other thing is you have a limited time with Crisitiano and I know for a fact that Juve payed his 100M transfer fee and his wadges/demands to win the UCL, he is not there to win any Scudettos although he can help for sure but again Juve have a limited time as he is aging and in this COVID environment it became harder for Juve to pay his wadges/demands.

As for the transfers I guess it is time for Juve signature move the "free transfer" targets :messenger_beaming:

Juve are good with free transfers and often get good players

I think this team has more chances to win the CL than Sarri's or Allegri's last squad.

I feel Juve this season is less predictable so in previous years it was easier to see what will happen with Juve in the UCL but this season it is really hard to tell and could go either way I think :pie_thinking:

Dark Rider

[Fabrizio Romano] Mourinho: “I found common ground with Dele Alli. I had a good conversation with him yesterday. We need the real Dele back and I made that very sure to him”. Alli really wanted to join PSG, Spurs have stopped the deal because they didn’t find the replacement.

Dark Rider

It's actually really sad how his dream has become a nightmare.

All those years of being kicked every minute are finally taking their toll sadly it seems.

While you are correct about being the most fouled played in the BPL taking its toll finally maybe it is not a nightmare for him because he has more time for burgers now.

Azurro

Banned
While you are correct about being the most fouled played in the BPL taking its toll finally maybe it is not a nightmare for him because he has more time for burgers now.

Hazard has been taking advice from worse Ronaldo. ;)

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
[Fabrizio Romano] Mourinho: “I found common ground with Dele Alli. I had a good conversation with him yesterday. We need the real Dele back and I made that very sure to him”. Alli really wanted to join PSG, Spurs have stopped the deal because they didn’t find the replacement.

He went from "yeah he can be sold" to "he's an important player for us"

Jose is a clown.

longdi

Banned
will Amazon film the implosion? feels like spurs is 1 embarrassing defeat away from jose throwing his team under the bus.

any spurs fans #joseout yet?

mekes

will Amazon film the implosion? feels like spurs is 1 embarrassing defeat away from jose throwing his team under the bus.

any spurs fans #joseout yet?

I watched the last half an hour and couldn’t believe how bad Spurs looked. Mourinho sure knows how to destroy a team these days.

Edit. I’m not a Spurs fan!

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
As a Chelsea fan I'm so happy to see us playing attractive football and looking like a proper team again!

I can't read too much into it given how bad Tottenham were and how we're only three games into Tuchel's reign, but I really think we can build something special as the foundations are there.

Jorginho and Kovacic continue to be one of the best pivots in Europe, two of my favourite Chelsea players who have been unfairly criticised by fans and the media finally thriving under proper tactical instruction brings me immense joy and satisfaction seeing other people convert to fans of the duo.

Callum Hudson-Odoi, Mason Mount and Reece James continue to show how promising they are and how prominent of a role they'll play in the future of this club aswell as the present with their fantastic performances, Mason especially needs to improve his final ball but that will come with time.

Still some worry for me over Timo Werner, he's still not looking like the man we signed, and I'm looking to be proven right over my worries for him when he was initially linked, I think there is a truly class player underneath all the rubbish form and damaged confidence but it's gonna be hard to remove all that with how important games are coming thick and fast.

What was important was he looked brighter, getting into good positions which helped him get us the decisive penalty, his first touch is still woeful but he was genuinely unlucky not to come away with a goal with that Aurier last ditch block.

Overall some very positive signs for the club to build off, and with Liverpool still faltering in form with a hard trio of games next with City, Everton and Leicester, it's looking like now is a pivotal moment to regain our spot in the top four, COYB!

Dark Rider

Hazard has been taking advice from worse Ronaldo. ;)

When we first bought him he showed up for his first training overweight and I had a bad feeling about it all, the following year he also came to the first training overweight :messenger_grimmacing_

He went from "yeah he can be sold" to "he's an important player for us"

Jose is a clown.

They have to hype him up now to keep his value up and since Jose is stuck with him maybe just maybe Dele come around. That is my guess about it :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Ajax] The disciplinary body of the European football association, UEFA, has imposed a suspension of 12 months on Andre Onana for a doping violation.

[Andre Onana] Official statement on UEFA ruling

Dark Rider

How does it feel to have your own Piguain? :D

We also had Higuaín before he go to Napoli then to Juventus so trust me I know how it feels and I know how the board look at it so Hazard need to get into being fit and contribute before then end of this season or he will be shipped out :messenger_smirking:

Azurro

Banned
We also had Higuaín before he go to Napoli then to Juventus so trust me I know how it feels and I know how the board look at it so Hazard need to get into being fit and contribute before then end of this season or he will be shipped out :messenger_smirking:

No, no, you had Higuain, he hadn't yet become the full fledged Piguain he started to become at Napoli, to culminate with his first appearance for Juve in a friendly against West Ham. He really did look like your mate that's 40 years old, fat, and balding, playing on Sunday League. It was embarrassing.

Seriously, if you look at Higuain's pics at Madrid, he probably had at least 10 kgs less.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

No, no, you had Higuain, he hadn't yet become the full fledged Piguain he started to become at Napoli, to culminate with his first appearance for Juve in a friendly against West Ham. He really did look like your mate that's 40 years old, fat, and balding, playing on Sunday League. It was embarrassing.

Seriously, if you look at Higuain's pics at Madrid, he probably had at least 10 kgs less.

I admit he got progressively worse after he left us but it really started while he was with us but it was not blatant it was subtle then he got shipped out and he let loose :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dark Rider

Uefa's plan for a 'Swiss-style' Champions League from 2024 has received cautious support from the European Leagues group.

[GIFN] UEFA plans to introduce a new Champions League format from 2024, consisting of 36 teams all in a single league table each playing 10 games before the knockout stages, according to today’s Gazzetta dello Sport.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Miguel Díaz] Sergio Ramos undergoes operation after the instruction from Real Madrid. He will be out for 6-7 weeks.

R.I.P our season.

Azurro

Banned
We have briefly turned into Allegri Juve in this game. Roma has the majority of possession, doing very little with it, and we have had the best chances of the game on the counter.

Dark Rider

Ligue 1 has temporarily resolved its domestic broadcast crisis by agreeing a deal for Canal+ for the rest of the season. LFP will receive around €670 million for its domestic broadcast rights, which is just over half of the €1.14 billion it was expecting

The lesser clubs will suffer sadly.

Dark Rider

We have briefly turned into Allegri Juve in this game. Roma has the majority of possession, doing very little with it, and we have had the best chances of the game on the counter.

He is free agent now right? he must smiling at you (and ready for a return)

Azurro

Banned
He is free agent now right? he must smiling at you (and ready for a return)

Lol, maybe, I wouldn't mind him back, but Pirlo is actually turning the situation around, the team is looking more focused and look like they know what they have to do in the field.

Azurro

Banned
Just in time for the UCL return I see

True. I also have to admit it's been nice to gradually go up the table over the last few weeks. Now we are in third, 5 points behind Inter with a game in hand. Though let's see what Mulan does tomorrow.

CL is always a bit of a coin toss anyway.

Dark Rider

True. I also have to admit it's been nice to gradually go up the table over the last few weeks. Now we are in third, 5 points behind Inter with a game in hand. Though let's see what Mulan does tomorrow.

CL is always a bit of a coin toss anyway.

You have to be on form on specific dates and you can't afford to mess up anything so it is hard to pull off. If Pirlo win the UCL in his first season I see staying for at least 3 more years.

Azurro

Banned
You have to be on form on specific dates and you can't afford to mess up anything so it is hard to pull off. If Pirlo win the UCL in his first season I see staying for at least 3 more years.

Staying? We'll build him a statue of he brings us the CL. 🤣

Dark Rider

Staying? We'll build him a statue of he brings us the CL. 🤣

Yes but if he does not get results after that surely there is a limit on how log you will let him stay?
Not saying he will get bad results but it is just a measure of how much goodwill winning the UCL get him at Juventus :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[ESPN FC] Mike Dean has shown 7% of all red cards in Premier League history.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
To be clear he is not the most prolific referee that hand out red cards and it is just a matter of longevity but he is hated in the BPL so headlines like this with no context fuel the masses which is why I laughed.

Last edited:
A nice appetizer for tonight. My beloved Man City went into Anfield and won a match there for the first time since 2003. As banged up as Liverpool is, Man City is playing w/o Augero and De Bruyne.

14 straight wins across all competitions. Tied for the most for an English top flight team since 1892.

fF1yIJj.jpg

Last edited:

Prison Mike

Banned
A nice appetizer for tonight. My beloved Man City went into Anfield and won a match there for the first time since 2003. As banged up as Liverpool is, Man City is playing w/o Augero and De Bruyne.

14 straight wins across all competitions. Tied for the most for an English top flight team since 1892.

fF1yIJj.jpg
We look so good right now along way from me watching us lose to york in league 2 lol

We look so good right now along way from me watching us lose to york in league 2 lol

That was a few years before I started following the EPL. Winning Eleven got me hooked on futbol. So it was about picking a team. I think it was 2006 and most people jumped on the United, Chelsea, Arsenal bandwagons. I wanted someone middle of the road and they had my favorite US players, Claudio Renya and DaMarcus Beasley. So I did not have to endure the lowest of the lows.

Top Bottom