• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2021/2022 |OT| The battle to survive, rebuilding after disaster.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Madness this late in the season to be fair unless was a massive bust up I would have just let him finish the season, shook hands and said goodbye.

Proper fucks it all up. Burnley will probably go down regardless of manager.

DKehoe

Madness this late in the season to be fair unless was a massive bust up I would have just let him finish the season, shook hands and said goodbye.

Proper fucks it all up. Burnley will probably go down regardless of manager.
They're saddled up with debt from their new owners takeover too. I feel bad for the Burnley fans since things could go badly for the club if they do get relegated.

Obviously Dyche didn't play the most exciting football but he deserves credit for what he did with them.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Cheers for dropping ederson today pep.......... Ffs
In regards to the obvious comparison with Ederson clearing from his line the other week, I saw someone point out how Ederson's touch brought the ball into space and away from pressure whereas Steffen's stops the ball dead which keeps it in a dangerous area and makes it easier to be knocked in. It's those little things that make the difference and show how class Ederson is.

Labadal

I was scared that we would throw that 3-0 lead away. I feel like Henderson is slowly declining. I still want him to stay, but maybe use him more as a sub. He does have a lot of heart, but I don't know if his legs are there anymore. Keita was great in this game. He has had good form in the past few games, but is injury prone, and therefore a bit uneven.

A good first half, too many missed chances, and when that happens you get punished. Can't wait for the United game.

Prison Mike

Banned
I was scared that we would throw that 3-0 lead away. I feel like Henderson is slowly declining. I still want him to stay, but maybe use him more as a sub. He does have a lot of heart, but I don't know if his legs are there anymore. Keita was great in this game. He has had good form in the past few games, but is injury prone, and therefore a bit uneven.

A good first half, too many missed chances, and when that happens you get punished. Can't wait for the United game.
Great game scouse we deserved nothing hope you go on to lift cup.

JLB

Banned
Another epic match of Real Madrid today. losing 0-2, away, vs the 2nd best team of the league and turning the whole thing getting a glorious 3-2. LaLiga is there.

Labadal

Another epic match of Real Madrid today. losing 0-2, away, vs the 2nd best team of the league and turning the whole thing getting a glorious 3-2. LaLiga is there.
I watched the game. It was crazy. While they are a great team, I wonder how they will fare against Man City.

JLB

Banned
I watched the game. It was crazy. While they are a great team, I wonder how they will fare against Man City.
I dont think Man City is the amazing team that many believe. IMO is a considerably inferior team than Chelsea (best team in the World for me) and Liverpool.
It will be a tough leg, like any UCL semifinal, thats for sure.

Prison Mike

Banned
I dont think Man City is the amazing team that many believe. IMO is a considerably inferior team than Chelsea (best team in the World for me) and Liverpool.
Hopefully you will be eating those words soon...

Labadal

City are great, but just need a "true" #9. When they get one, I will bet on the winning most things that they compete in.

For he CL, any of the remaining teams can win it. I'd rank their chances as follows:

1. City
2. Madrid
3. Liverpool
4. Vilareal

In my opinion, City have the best squad. If they had a "Benzema", they'd win everything.
Madrid have a good squad, but sometimes, I don't know what they are up to. They have recovered from many games, and also have experience from many finals.
Liverpool, on their best day, are a nightmare to face. Salah needs to get back to his best form if Liverpool can hope for the CL title. On paper, Villareal are the underdogs, but Emery is very solid in Euro cups. All his victories in the UEFA cup isn't just by chance.

Dark Rider

I think Manchester City is the most solid and most consistent out of the CL semi finalist. That does not mean they will win it for sure but they most certainly have as much of a chance as any of the other 3 and their consistency being solid is something that can help them make it as the other three might be having a night off.

EDIT: Just to be clear I'm not saying Manchester City are the best team (it is hard to say which is best at the moment), what I'm saying is that they are more consistently solid than the others.

Emery is very solid in Euro cups. All his victories in the UEFA cup isn't just by chance.

Arsenal and their fans thought he was a hack and not good enough, they thought he was holding them back. In reality Arsenal were holding him back.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Hopefully you will be eating those words soon...
Its a 1 billion petrodollar squad that is yet to win a CL. Sometimes people forget about the additional merits of being consistently on top being a club that belong to their associates rather than a subsidiary of a nation state.

Prison Mike

Banned
Its a 1 billion petrodollar squad that is yet to win a CL. Sometimes people forget about the additional merits of being consistently on top being a club that belong to their associates rather than a subsidiary of a nation state.
Fine for you to buy galaticos year after year after year I don't know why you have such a hate boner for city but I hope we fucking stuff you.
Plus you lavish praise on Chelsea who are same as city yet don't win as consistently.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Fine for you to buy galaticos year after year after year I don't know why you have such a hate boner for city but I hope we fucking stuff you.
Plus you lavish praise on Chelsea who are same as city yet don't win as consistently.

Thing is Madrid bought galacticos with its own resources.
No hate at all for Man City by the way, and Chelsea is from an economical standpoint the same thing. I was exclusively referring to football level.

Labadal

That was great from Liverpool, but United's defense was in shambles. I don't know how they can let us score at least two of those goals. For the 4-0 goal, even as a Liverpool fan, yelling and celebrating, I was asking myself wtf McGuire was doing. Thiago was on fire in this game. I hope he can go injury free for the rest of the season. Creative midfielders on form are a joy to watch.

DKehoe

FP6DjLuXwAc7Lfq

mekes

My eyes, for the first time, will be on the club stuffing the new managers plans once he gets through the door. I'm hopeful for ETH, I'll be patient, I don't expect miracles.

ETH will have my support. If things start going wrong I am Glazers out, board members out, players out above anybody on our new management team.

My hope for the summer is. Recruit smart. No Rice. No Kane. If we get either of those 2 I am already half way to riot mode!

Last edited:

DKehoe

My eyes, for the first time, will be on the club stuffing the new managers plans once he gets through the door. I'm hopeful for ETH, I'll be patient, I don't expect miracles.

ETH will have my support. If things start going wrong I am Glazers out, board members out, players out above anybody on our new management team.

My hope for the summer is. Recruit smart. No Rice. No Kane. If we get either of those 2 I am already half way to riot mode!
A big rebuild is clearly needed. On the somewhat positive side United are at a point where contract wise there's a lot of room to work with. Pogba, Cavani, Mata, Matic, Lingard, Henderson (although I can see ETH liking him and wanting him to stay) and, if things keep up this way, perhaps Ronaldo are all probably leaving. So there's a lot of budget freed up there. Maybe some others go too. Hopefully the Glazers actually give them a decent amount to work with to bring in new signings. Like you said blowing a huge amount of money on players like Rice and Kane would be stupid. Nothing against either, they're both talented. But the price tags on both are massive and United need more than just a big marquee signing to turn things around. But what's maybe even more important is sorting out the behind the scenes structure. Rangnick's interview quotes after the match were surprisingly candid about just how much needs to be done. I worry he'll just be shunted off to some toothless consultant role but hopefully United actually use him in a meaningful way, since his real strength seems to be in building up a team from the ground up. Paul Mitchell is now not contracted to any team, has a relationship with Rangnick, a history of doing great work and is a United fan so he could be a great fit to be brought in. United need a clear structure with experienced people working towards a clear vision. I don't have too much faith that the Glazers can put that in place but there's a chance for it there.

Edit: sounds like changes are underway

I'd read the other day that Rangnick had asked the scouting department about what they had on Christopher Nkunku and was told they had nothing which, if true, is pretty damning.

Last edited:

mekes

A big rebuild is clearly needed. On the somewhat positive side United are at a point where contract wise there's a lot of room to work with. Pogba, Cavani, Mata, Matic, Lingard, Henderson (although I can see ETH liking him and wanting him to stay) and, if things keep up this way, perhaps Ronaldo are all probably leaving. So there's a lot of budget freed up there. Maybe some others go too. Hopefully the Glazers actually give them a decent amount to work with to bring in new signings. Like you said blowing a huge amount of money on players like Rice and Kane would be stupid. Nothing against either, they're both talented. But the price tags on both are massive and United need more than just a big marquee signing to turn things around. But what's maybe even more important is sorting out the behind the scenes structure. Rangnick's interview quotes after the match were surprisingly candid about just how much needs to be done. I worry he'll just be shunted off to some toothless consultant role but hopefully United actually use him in a meaningful way, since his real strength seems to be in building up a team from the ground up. Paul Mitchell is now not contracted to any team, has a relationship with Rangnick, a history of doing great work and is a United fan so he could be a great fit to be brought in. United need a clear structure with experienced people working towards a clear vision. I don't have too much faith that the Glazers can put that in place but there's a chance for it there.

Edit: sounds like changes are underway

I'd read the other day that Rangnick had asked the scouting department about what they had on Christopher Nkunku and was told they had nothing which, if true, is pretty damning.

I'd heard the same news regarding NKunku and I wasn't surprised. I'll be scrutinizing every move the club make and hopefully this is the start of broader changes.Rangnick has been so open at press conferences which has been bizarre, but appreciated. I feel for him, the club could spoil his reputation in half a season so press conferences are all he has. Good for him.

I agree with everything you said and would also be very open to having Paul Mitchell come in, working alongside Rangnick. But of course the club need to create new titles for these people, as untested, unproven, very possibly undeserving people currently hold the great titles such as Football director, technical director etc. 😂

Prison Mike

Banned
I'd heard the same news regarding NKunku and I wasn't surprised. I'll be scrutinizing every move the club make and hopefully this is the start of broader changes.Rangnick has been so open at press conferences which has been bizarre, but appreciated. I feel for him, the club could spoil his reputation in half a season so press conferences are all he has. Good for him.

I agree with everything you said and would also be very open to having Paul Mitchell come in, working alongside Rangnick. But of course the club need to create new titles for these people, as untested, unproven, very possibly undeserving people currently hold the great titles such as Football director, technical director etc. 😂
As a city fan I'm hoping you guys pick up as a club and legacy, you deserve more than this.

Dark Rider

[Manchester United] Announce the arrival of Eric Ten Hag as their new manager.

My prediction: Manchester United will will continue to hover about where they are now in two seasons, if things go good they will become the top 4 trophy club but if things get bad they might be in mid-table. The owners need to leave if Manchester United want to be among the best in Europe, they had more than enough chances to right the course if they really want to right the course but they don't. They are happy to lie to the fans face though and continue collecting the club money.

Dark Rider

[The Athletic] Antonio Rudiger has decided to leave Chelsea and will make a decision on who he will join as a free agent next week.

Dark Rider

[Romain Molina] It had to happen eventually: fight/brawl in PSG's women section, training stopped and crisis talks, 1 day before their UCL semi final! Hamraoui insulted Baltimore, then got down with other players...

Dark Rider

[Gemma Soler] Neymar: “It was surreal that part of the crowd left the stadium. The whistles? They are going to get tired of whistling at me because I have 3 more years left on my contract.”

Dark Rider

[David Ornstein] EXCL: Liverpool may become 1st PL club to sign cryptocurrency firm as main shirt sponsor. #Crypto companies among those in talks to take over from 2023 if Standard Chartered don’t extend. #LFC want ~£70m over 2yrs, outcome likely in ~8wks

Liverpool board and owner keep trying to get in bed with crypto.

Top Bottom