• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

for those who are in their 40s or above, how's your gaming reflex? specifically for competitive games.

how's your gaming reflex these days when it comes to competitive games.

• Total voters

Topher

Gold Member
54. Nah....not very good. I don't play competitively obviously. I can't play some single player games like Elden Ring either. And it isn't just reflexes. Eyesight ain't what it used to be either. I'm trying to play College Football 25 and I'm not tracking like I used to be able to. Turned based, strategic and tactical games are more my speed these days.

Krafter

51 years old on the edge of 52. I do not play multiplayer in any capacity except for MMORPGs with Mrs. Krafter and occasional silly games like Road Blocks, Minecraft and Among Us with the kids.

Alebrije

We survived the Nes Ninja Gaiden era, we needed exactly timing and reflexs for jumps and shooting enemies in Contra games.

I have seen young gamers playing retro Contra 1 and they get mad and left the Game just in the firsth level.

So reflex are in our gaming ADN, You get a sense of timing after all these years.

Talking about people playing since Atari 2600 to these days...

Alebrije

We survived the Nes Ninja Gaiden era, we needed exactly timing and reflexs for jumps and shooting enemies in Contra games.

I have seen young gamers playing retro Contra 1 and they get mad and left the Game just in the firsth level.

So reflex are in our gaming ADN, You get a sense of timing after all these years.

Talking about people playing since Atari 2600 to these days...

StereoVsn

54. Nah....not very good. I don't play competitively obviously. I can't play some single player games like Elden Ring either. And it isn't just reflexes. Eyesight ain't what it used to be either. I'm trying to play College Football 25 and I'm not tracking like I used to be able to. Turned based, strategic and tactical games are more my speed these days.
Yeah, I am in mid 40s and I tend to play much the same genres. I am fine with a lot of action RPGs but I might put them on easy mode, lol.

Elden Ring is fine… because I run it on PC and use mods/cheats, lol. It’s same with all Soulslike games.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, I am in mid 40s and I tend to play much the same genres. I am fine with a lot of action RPGs but I might put them on easy mode, lol.

Elden Ring is fine… because I run it on PC and use mods/cheats, lol. It’s same with all Soulslike games.

I might try that with ER just to be able to play it a bit more. But yeah......I'm at the point where I don't think twice about easy mode if I can't hang. My "git gud" days are long gone. lol

reinking

Gold Member
Oh. competitive gaming. I answered option 3 as if you were asking me about my sex life.

I don't really play competitive games much these days....

...or have as much sex.
Sad A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor

StereoVsn

I might try that with ER just to be able to play it a bit more. But yeah......I'm at the point where I don't think twice about easy mode if I can't hang. My "git gud" days are long gone. lol
Yep, i have no qualms about easy modes in fast paced games, lol.

And Elden Ring is worth it to run through with a few min of work for either an easy mode mod or CheatEngine/WeMod.

Edit: That’s strictly for SP stuff. I disable anti-cheat in the game so no MP.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
Still very good (38 now). COD MW2 K/D is 1.25 in Team Deathmatch mode with over 15k kills.

Tested the reflexes in real life recently though- toddler decided to stand on his high chair then feel backwards off of it. I dove from my sofa (it bent in a way I did not think possible) and caught him perfectly under both armpits. Special thanks to the wife for not belting him in.

Honestly think that going to the gym so much helps. No wrist pain and pain at all and thats thanks to my dedicated support workout days (forearms, lower back, abs).

I stopped playing competitive games a long time ago, because you just can’t compete with the younger players anymore. Look at the professional esports teams, they are all very young because from 30 your reflexes already get slower.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I have a problem with aiming. But other than that it's pretty much the same. My golden age for gaming was the 8 bit and 16 bit eras. We only had the Dpad and buttons, there wasn't analog aiming. So I was never particularly good at it. I could play Metroid Prime because there was Z- targetting..

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I was stuck for over a year in Elden Ring trying to beat Malenia. Being an older new father meant I didn't have the energy or time to dive into gaming (and ER)with the same intensity I used to. Occasionally, I could squeeze in some quick multiplayer games with my patient friends, but those sessions were usually limited to an hour or so.

Lately, my son and I have been enjoying short sessions of Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island on my still working SNES, and it's been a real joy seeing his awe as he experiences these classics for the first time.

Fortunately, my son has settled into a regular sleep schedule, giving me the time to finally beat ER (though I'll need a break before tackling the DLC). Now, I'm making my way through Sekiro. I'm definitely not as quick or dedicated as I once was, but I've learned to be more understanding and forgiving of myself. I'm not as hard on myself anymore, and it's easier for me to step away. With decline and age comes wisdom right? That said, my mates are of similar age and they are still easily competitive in most MP games they play.

I'm hoping my reflexes will hold up enough to get through this game, and maybe even Shadow of the Erdtree, before my daughter is born around December.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m 36 and wanted to chime in anyway.

I haven’t seen a major difference as I’ve aged. I’m primarily above average at any genre I play and my reflexes are about the same. They’ve never been quick flick perfect head shot for a game like CS for example.

I did play valorant on ps5 the other day and did mvp first few games. On pc I get the same result but it felt much better on console thanks to the way aim works.

recursive

just want to see how are my fellow old folks home GAFers doing on this topic

so, I'm in my late 40's and I mainly play Destiny 2, FFXIV and Helldivers lately. I mostly only play PvE stuff but some light PvP from time to time in Destiny 2. I feel that my reflex, when it comes to split second twitch reflex shooting in high level game play, is definitely lacking. maybe even non-existent.

I do find myself able to strategize and plan out alternative approaches to a situation other than head on attack a lot better now because of this and my situation and surrounding awareness is a much better these days. however, I have trouble relaying all the infos to my teammates in a timely manner and that usually would still lead to issues/casualties.

I also used to play DOTA2 about 5 years ago, and even back then, I'm not good with really complex heros that require really fast inputs and I would usually stick to the simpler support ones. I would like to get back into it too but these days it seems DOTA2's pacing had only increased.

how about you folks? how's your reaction time/reflex these days? is it affecting your gaming experience?
I would argue that your perceived lack of lightning reflexes in pvp is more due to the fact that as you admitted you dont play as much vs your age. You get good at what you practice.

Humdinger

I don't play competitive multiplayer, in part because my twitch reflexes have never been that good, and they're probably gotten worse as I've gotten older. I also just don't enjoy the rinse/repeat, characterless/storyless aspect of multiplayer. I lost interest about 20 years ago.

No doubt if I played a lot of competitive online MP, my twitch reflexes would improve, but they would still never be as good as the 13 year old who plays all day. I'd probably make it a point to try to play with older people, if possible.

JayK47

I am sure my reflexes are worse off. But the biggest issue is lack of time or patience to get to know a game. I played BF 2042 for a little bit and never got to memorize a single map. I'm a noob compared to most playing it.

Reflexes seem to be fine coz i've 1cc'd a bunch of arcade/NES/Megadrive games over the last year or 2 - ones i've never played before too. I really don't think it's going to be an issue until at least a couple more decades.

As for competitive games - i've never played them.

Last edited:

avin

Going to guess the "lightning fast" camp mostly doesn't have kids? Because I'd think anyone with kids knows the little shits can do what us old farts no longer can. When it comes to games like CoD, me and my kids aren't playing the same game.

avin

Last edited:

hinch7

Not in my 40's but my reflexes have slowed down a bit. I'd say pretty decent and way above average (and not just my age) though.

Can still compete with most sweat lords in MP. Even if I don't put much time and effort into games.

Last edited:

fersnake

my 16yr old self would crush me hahaha im 39. but im still playing FPS games with no issues cuz experience compensates the lack of speed in some situations.

MiguelItUp

It really depends on the game. In some cases I'm just as good as I ever was, in others, just a little bit rusty. But it's always been enough to still enjoy it nonetheless.

I have noticed that the competitive bone in me is just nowhere to be found. Of course, I still want to win and do well, so I make sure that's consistent. But I don't get sweaty or super competitive anymore. It's just all for fun, so it's nice.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Very quick, still. However, my motivation to"game hard" has fallen very far. Once you lose that, you might as well be Option 2.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm not in my 40s (yet), but I have absolutely seen some degradation in my gaming abilities. Not so much in reflexes, but more in the discomfort of my hands, which limits how much I can play. I feel like I'm gonna need hand surgery by the time I'm 40 if I want to keep playing games. :(

It also sucks because I'm a pianist, so my hands have already taken quite a beating.

Reflexes still there, vision is down though. Used to win prizes in MLB the Show in my 30’s. Had an 8 year streak going then a few years back I just stopped being able to focus my eyes for 45 min straight to put up a high score.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
42 and I still mostly dominate in Call of Duty when I enter a match, I can actually swing the tide in late joins, not that it means much 😄
Obviously there are those that do give me trouble and I do have my bad games, But I'm alright I guess.

Oh and I deal with Jumpers like I'm playing Doom, it's a " GTFOH with that shit!" from me.

I regularly practice Jackie's Chans coin catch trick to keep me reflexes sharp

Last edited:

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I would argue that your perceived lack of lightning reflexes in pvp is more due to the fact that as you admitted you dont play as much vs your age. You get good at what you practice.

I agree with you to a degree. I mainly play high diffculty PvE strikes and raids in Destiny 2, and those require some pretty fast shooting too. but even with as much as I play those, my reaction often still isn't as good as some of the randoms I play together with. now, the build of my charactor is of course a big factor in this, but I think I'm just not that good with reacting and aiming in a fast enough fashion these days. I can preceive and react to things fast enough, but my hand eye coordination is just not good enough to line up those crit shoots in the speed that would matter.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I always pictured you in your 20s or early 30s. Maybe just because of when you joined. So you’re a youth in my mind 💪

34 almost 35.

My parents are always commenting on how fast my reflexes are. I can swat a fly and kill it pretty fast.

I was really good at COD 4. But that was about the last one i was good at.

On halo infinite sometimes i do really good and a top scorer. Other times i suck ass.

ryzen1

I'm in my 30s and stopped playing fast-paced multiplayer games like COD about 10 years ago. There's just too much shit going on.

My gaming consists mainly of single player games and some multiplayer games like EFT, Dota 2 or DayZ.
Since these few multiplayer games have a much older audience than CoD or Fortnite, I can at least say that I can keep up with my generation :D

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm not in my 40s yet, but I think a lack of interest is more to blame than lack of reaction times. I can't play a multiplayer shooter well, but put me in front of a shmup or something? Completely different story, and that's arguably even more dependent on twitchy control.

Rivdoric

This thread : "I'm 90 but still rocking my wheelchair as if i was 10 ! The wife is still very pleased also hehehe 👴!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom