• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Forbes) Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is Kicking Ass and Saving Franchises

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQman2121

Banned
He's always struck me as a bit of a bully. I've seen him on the mic sometimes talking to fans or regular people in either a disrespectful or intimidating manner. I remember seeing a Punk'd episode where he basically decided he was going to handle a situation of being accused of something by asserting his physical dominance and trying to scare the other guy.

When you're that size, how else are you supposed to respond?

Only reason I saw Fast Five is because it was Johnson vs The Diesel. That film didn't get good until the fight. Every action scene after that was pure fire.

This for me too, I never watched any of the Fast & Furious movies because the subject matter does not interest me one bit, also ratings weren't glowing... but Fast Five got pretty decent reviews + The Rock is in it so I watched it. Although I enjoyed it, it was still not that interesting to me... think I preferred The Tooth-fairy a bit more. ;p

border

I like him, but what franchises did he really save? Journey to the Center of the Earth didn't do so hot because it was marketed as a 3D film when there were very few theatres capable of showing 3D movies, and very little consumer interest. Of course a post-Avatar sequel would have done better, almost by virtue of the fact that it was shown on more screens. Also I might note that Journey 1 and Journey 2 did almost exactly the same numbers in the USA.....only the international numbers that made the difference.

As others have noted, Fast and the Furious was helped more by Diesel's return than anything else......nor did it really need saving in the first place.

I do wonder if the Rock could save the dumb Riddick movies though :)

Dan Yo

Banned
When you're that size, how else are you supposed to respond?
Like a civilized human being? If you're a roided out freak of nature, and your response to things you don't like is the threat of physical violence upon another, then you don't get to roam society with the rest of us.

He's always struck me as a bit of a bully. I've seen him on the mic sometimes talking to fans or regular people in either a disrespectful or intimidating manner. I remember seeing a Punk'd episode where he basically decided he was going to handle a situation of being accused of something by asserting his physical dominance and trying to scare the other guy.

Haha. I remember that. The actor was clearly trying to get under his skin and it worked.

Just put him and Vin in more movies together. Women everywhere with similar tastes to my own will thank you.

Dont forget about us guys.

He strikes me as a modern day arnie type character. Fantastic in those tough guy action roles.

Predator 4 with The Rock? WOULD WATCH

Hell replace predator 4 with ANY movie and ill watch it

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

He strikes me as a modern day arnie type character. Fantastic in those tough guy action roles.

Since Hollywood has given up creating new movie and rehashing old ones I wish they did a Terminator reboot staring him as the T100. Id definitely see that

Cloudy

Banned
I'm not a big wrestling guy but I love me some Rock. Dude just seems cool lol

And he actually has some acting skills plus there's no heavy accent that might distract some viewers

gdt

Fast Five is, no joke, is one of the best action movies in the last decade.

I abhor the first four movies. So I'm not some FF fanboy. Sure, that movie would still be good without him, but it wouldn't near nearly as awesome.

As others have noted, Fast and the Furious was helped more by Diesel's return than anything else......nor did it really need saving in the first place.

I do wonder if the Rock could save the dumb Riddick movies though :)

Vin came back in Fast 4, not Fast Five, though I agree I don't think Rock was a huge selling point for that movie. As long as Vin and Walker are in the movies the F/F series will do well.

Archer

I follow him on Facebook and the posts he makes are always awesome. Seen him spending time with sick kids and stuff, amazing guy.

Also:
0624-splash-mountain-rock.jpg

cool.

/flex

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The guy has charisma for days and he knows how to act add some impressive physique and you have the perfect action star.

Ripclawe

Banned
speaking of Fast 6.

June 10
Training for FAST 6 officially starts today..

You can run, but you can never hide.. Ever.

Be sure to give your soul to Jesus, cause your ass is mine.

June 8
Touchin down in New Orleans to shoot EMPIRE STATE.

True story drama of a 1982 record breaking heist.

The hunt is on..

The fuck? The man has no downtime...

Kammie

Is that the one where his trailer park blew up? Because he was pretty graceful about it, not a bully at all. It escalated pretty much the way it would have with *any* person.

Is there a link to that Punk'd episode?
If that was the one, then I watched it here: http://kiwi.kz/watch/cfhyz93j76ly

BigDug13

That's who he was supposed to be. Arnold even makes that cameo to basically high five Dwayne as a "passing the torch" move in that movie with Stiffler...The Rundown I think?

Then he proceeded to ditch the action roles to play in kids movies. I'm glad he's finally back in action form.

Mahonay

Banned
Absolutely love that he's sticking mostly to action movies now. I first saw a flash of action star awesomeness from him in The Rundown. It seems with a good director that leverages his cheesy wit, ability to deliver great lines, and of couse a natural ability to whoop ass, he becomes just an amazing screen presence that is down right infectious.

The first GI Joe movie looked dumb as shit (I have never seen it to be fair) but when I saw the trailer for GI Joe 2, where Dwyane is giving the most bad ass fucking inspirational speech ever to the other Joes, I was on board immediately.

Growing up watching wrestling I have so many great memories of The Rock. He almost single handedly made the WWF more entertaining than it had any business being. I never thought he would make that transfer over to an acting career as well as he has by this point. Still a little surreal to me that he's a legit Hollywood star now.

I believe Tatum's character was supposed to die in the first act, but Tatum's stock has risen after 21 Jump Street and that romantic comedy he did, so they're reshooting huge swathes of the film - hence why its release date has been pushed back until next year.

Ewwww. Go F*** YOURSELF PARAMOUNT!!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
In Lock Stock and Snatch? Definitely, I loved his character. After that though The Rock was so much better. Statham's boring now.

Jason Statham is on "The Transporter" Autopilot in every action movie he does nowadays. He'd be able to show his skills a lot more in another movie like Snatch, but I'm sure that studios will just throw money at him to do "Shoot People & Make Wisecracks With An English Accent VIII: Revengance."

RBH

the-rock-talks-fast-five-sequels-80198-470-75.jpg

The Rock single-handedly tackled a gang of burglars on the set of his latest movie.

The 40-year-old former wrestler sprang into action when the youths tried breaking into vans containing expensive equipment in Hackney, East London.

The Rock — real name Dwayne Johnson — was dressed as an FBI agent while filming The Fast and the Furious 6 in a neighbouring warehouse and caught sight of the thieves trying to force locks.

When he clocked what was happening, the 6ft 5ins, 20-stone star left filming in the middle of a battle sequence and charged at the hoodies waving his fake police badge.

The youths were so shocked that they stopped what they were doing and fled empty-handed.

A source said: “It was so funny. The Rock looked like an action hero because he had his flak jacket on and an FBI badge in his hand. All of a sudden there was loads of gunfire and this giant dressed as a copper was about to mow them down. The lads jumped out of their skin and scarpered down the canal path and left the crew in peace.

“It was like the Only Fools Batman sequence — they must have thought they were in the middle of a real-life action movie.

“Now the crew are joking that they should drop security and just have The Rock do it.”
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...set-of-The-Fast-And-Furious-6-in-Hackney.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom