• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

Holy crap, everyone... read this piece on Comey and Mueller.

10lkUdy.gif

Great read, I never knew anything about this. Trumps in trouble.

I believe trump/pence used him as their initial excuse for firing comey. I may be mistaken, since they have like 5 different stories for it.

I know that happened, but it's not clear to me how much Rosenstein participated in that event. If he was just Trump's excuse, then I don't see why he has to "redeem" himself.

Surfinn

The thing I don't get is why Trump continuously makes himself look guilty. Even if he IS guilty.. What's the point of saying shit like "this is a witch hunt, wah wah there shouldn't be a special counsel" instead of just saying "good, bring it on. Let's be done with this.. I have nothing to hide". I mean if the investigation is inevitable, why not at least PRETEND to be innocent?

It's like he just can't help himself

riotous

Banned
I know that happened, but it's not clear to me how much Rosenstein participated in that event. If he was just Trump's excuse, then I don't see why he has to "redeem" himself.

Read the memo that is referenced and judge for yourself:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/rosenstein-letter-annotated/526116/

He claims that he knew Comey was on the way out; so possible he wrote he memo to appear to be loyal to Trump, which actually to me is possibly the worst aspect of the story:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...te-he-knew-comey-firing-he-wrote-memo-n761666

If he legitimately held these criticisms of Comey, then the memo is fine, it's an opinion, one that previous to recent events was held by most people on the left. But the fact he's trying to make excuses like "Well I knew he was getting fired' smacks of bullshit to me personally. In the end though I feel for anyone who has to deal with this administration; but it's hard to gauge whether someone is an apolitical actor trying to do their job or someone playing politics (who shouldn't be as their position doesn't warrant it.)

Zolo

The thing I don't get is why Trump continuously makes himself look guilty. Even if he IS guilty.. What's the point of saying shit like "this is a witch hunt, wah wah there shouldn't be a special counsel" instead of just saying "good, bring it on. Let's be done with this.. I have nothing to hide". I mean if the investigation is inevitable, why not at least PRETEND to be innocent?

It appeals to his base. Someone I know when talking about it quoted "witch hunt" about the entire situation. That said, they also said they believe Trump should be charged if the investigation turns up anything, so I hope the investigation actually can help out with the people that are more general Republicans and less Trump supporters specifically.

AYF 001

Yeah, I don't think he has. They might've just heard the initial story and concluded that he was complicit, not aware of how fast things have been changing since things moved pretty fast. Kinda wish we could get a mod summary in the OP to clear up confusion.

riotous

Banned
Yeah, I don't think he has. They might've just heard the initial story and concluded that he was complicit, not aware of how fast things have been changing since things moved pretty fast. Kinda wish we could get a mod summary in the OP to clear up confusion.

Honestly; it would be great to have an official news OT that barred reaction gifs, memes, talk of who should be cast in a movie about this, etc.,etc.etc. News + discussion of news. But I don't think that's typical here.

Surfinn

It appeals to his base. Someone I know when talking about it quoted "witch hunt" about the entire situation. That said, they also said they believe Trump should be charged if the investigation turns up anything, so I hope the investigation actually can help out with the people that are more general Republicans and less Trump supporters specifically.

But it seems strange to me that this would appeal to his base when bringing in Mueller is drawing a ton of bipartisan praise. I mean if you wanna use the label "witch hunt", I can see how that riles up the base, but wouldn't you want to at least LOOK like you don't have anything to hide and that you'll cooperate to "bring the witch hunt to a close"?

I dunno. I mean I guess it doesn't really matter because his base eats it all up regardless.

Shaneus

Holy shit, this is a great story. Loved this bit:
“The analysis is flawed—in fact, fatally flawed. No lawyer reading that could reasonably rely on it,” Comey said, his hand sweeping across the table dismissively.

Cheney’s counsel, the famously aggressive David Addington, standing in the back of the room, spoke up: “Well, I’m a lawyer,” he snapped, “and I did.”

Comey shot back, “No good lawyer.”

The room went silent.

I cannot wait for all this to unfold.

Read the memo that is referenced and judge for yourself:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/rosenstein-letter-annotated/526116/

He claims that he knew Comey was on the way out; so possible he wrote he memo to appear to be loyal to Trump, which actually to me is possibly the worst aspect of the story:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...te-he-knew-comey-firing-he-wrote-memo-n761666

If he legitimately held these criticisms of Comey, then the memo is fine, it's an opinion, one that previous to recent events was held by most people on the left. But the fact he's trying to make excuses like "Well I knew he was getting fired' smacks of bullshit to me personally. In the end though I feel for anyone who has to deal with this administration; but it's hard to gauge whether someone is an apolitical actor trying to do their job or someone playing politics (who shouldn't be as their position doesn't warrant it.)
I have read the memo. But a memo doesn't tell intention, and in the Trump administration things are not always as they seem.

It would help me! Hahah.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

His entire life is centered around his image and he uses his gut not his brain to decide basically everything, or he's a genius at PR who understand communications better than everyone else and knows to do the thing that looks incredibly stupid to most people.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

When's the last time Trump has had to moderate anything in his life? The man is pure id. He has no self control whatsoever

Des0lar

will learn eventually
p76UxF3.jpg

I just noticed shadow Obama lol.
God these right wing comic authors have to be the dumbest people on the planet.... Witch Hunt is not a hunt practiced by witches you imbecile.

They also always need to put names and signs everywhere so their idiot base knows what it is all about. Morons all around.

God these right wing comic authors have to be the dumbest people on the planet.... Witch Hunt is not a hunt practiced by witches you imbecile.

They also always need to put names and signs everywhere so their idiot base knows what it is all about. Morons all around.

You know, I don't understand why everyone is so hung up on them being witches.

That's how you know it's a witch hunt.

Steel

Banned

The point's supposed to be that it's the witches doing the hunting, so it's backwards. Basically saying "look at these corrupt motherfucking witches hunting our god-emperor Trump, HYPOCRITS!1!"

Or maybe I'm overestimating their intelligence?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

Ahahaha. I would have never guessed that anyone thought of a witch hunt​ that way. Pretty hilarious.

It's bad because witches are following you... Not because you're the actual witch.

That's the joke, turning the phrase "witch hunt" on its ear. I'm not saying it's clever but there is no other possible punch line.

lots of comics label their art. It's not a conservative thing. And I assume the writer knows what a witch hunt is, but the Democrats/media had to be the witches.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
The point's supposed to be that it's the witches doing the hunting, so it's backwards. Basically saying "look at these corrupt motherfucking witches hunting our god-emperor Trump, HYPOCRITS!1!"

Or maybe I'm overestimating their intelligence?

Yeah somehow that makes no sense to me sorry.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I legitimately believe the writer of that comic actually thinks that a witch hunt is when a bunch of witches go hunting because that is the level of intelligence I expect from authors of right ring political cartoons.

Labels in political cartoons are fine, they just always go that one label further than they have to and completely insult the reader's intelligence in the process.

Like in this case, "Trump Hunt". There's an "Open Season" poster with Trump's face on it and they've got shotguns. I'm pretty sure anyone could have connected those last two dots.

The fact that this cartoon is confusing so many, including myself, means it's kind of a failure no matter what party the cartoonist supports

Seventy70

When the eventual movie comes out, this part is going to be so awesome.

Trump: "They hired this guy named Mueller. Hah!"
*Adviser becomes wide eyed*
Adviser: "What have you done...."

Now I want a Count of Monte Cristo tale told with Trump interwoven. It turns out that he fucked Mueller over when they were kids.

Yet even amid the stress of that time, Comey didn’t hesitate to force the issue of STELLAR WIND, standing up to the vice president. During one White House meeting, Comey said he couldn’t find a legal basis for the program.

“Others see it differently,” a scowling Cheney replied.

“The analysis is flawed—in fact, fatally flawed. No lawyer reading that could reasonably rely on it,” Comey said, his hand sweeping across the table dismissively.

Cheney’s counsel, the famously aggressive David Addington, standing in the back of the room, spoke up: “Well, I’m a lawyer,” he snapped, “and I did.”

Comey shot back, “No good lawyer.”

Holy crap the steel balls Comey must possess.

Top Bottom