• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There was a point where his lead suddenly dropped quickly. It was 19 seconds or so and suddenly it was 14. Of course the commentators never noticed because they were bitching about Lewis.

He also caught first backmarkers at that moment.

Probably Nico experienced this earlier in the season and he knew the fix, opposite to Lewis.

I wonder if steering wheel UI is going to be something that will be developed on. That's actually a pretty crazy challenge. You need a glancable UI that can be used to control all the little details of an F1 car. Your user will be driving over 300 km/h while using it.

I mean, yes, training the user is part of it, and there may be rules against what you can show, but this should not be an unsolvable problem. And today kind of shows that in a race, it can actually matter.

Also lets not forget the cockpit display and the ECU along with its software are the same for everybody(to stop traction control from being hidden inside the ECU software)so there is so much they can do.
Lewis could have fixed the problem faster if he had spent more time familiarizing himself with the car in the simulator.

"We were struggling a bit on Friday, but to see where we are now, it's a great recovery. It's our second, second place in a row.

"We're two times in a row on the podium now after Canada, which is great, scoring some good points. I think the pace is there, the car is good and we're coming along."

The state of Scuderia Ferrari in Formula 1, everyone.

Just happy to be there.

The race was always going to pale to Le Mans for me. I might just buy the WEC season pass tbh.

There's just no way for me to watch these endurance races. It's just not entertaining for me to miss out on hours of great racing and seeing what's going on.

There's just no way for me to watch these endurance races. It's just not entertaining for me to miss out on hours of great racing and seeing what's going on.
Classic Le Mans (in about 3 weeks) is much easier to follow. 24 races of various Le Mans eras (1920-1980s + Group C) in 24 hours.

Mohonky

Thoughts on race;

Baku is boring. All the drivers were really tentative so as to just finish the race. Outside of two long straights and a 1 stop pit strategy being employed, there was nothing to really bring the track to life. It looked like a Formula E race, except the F1 guys were lucky to have a DRS zone and straights long enough to use slipstream to overtake.

Valencia was a better track than this.

Nico Rosberg: domination, never even looked like anything but. Drove fast but smooth and it was never in question.

Perez: that Force India was really good here and Perez made the most of it. Drive of the day. If he hadn't had a 5 place penalty it would have been interesting to see where he would have been in relation to Vettel

Raikkonen: Did the Heinekken sponsorship wake him up or something? Apart from this typical Raikkonen moment of following Ricciardo toward the pit and getting a penalty, he actually seemed alive at the wheel today. Normally I picture him asleep in there, today he seemed to have some sort of urgency about him.

Can't really talk about Hamilton without talking about the whole 'instructions from the pits' debate. I don't really understand this one because it seems directly contradictory to issues in F1; wanting the drivers to be more responsible for how they drive and secondly safety.

On driving: I can understand orders like 'X is braking 5m later than you' or 'you can carry more speed through corner X' as that is driver coaching but is informing a driver how to rectify the cars software really aiding a driver? I understand people want this whole 'it should be the drivers out there doing everything, not the cars' but it's not the 90's anymore, the cars are loaded to the hilt with sensors, software and numerous configurations for a variety of different aspects of the car. They have teams of engineers to develop this shit, expecting the drivers to know the full ins and outs of the systems. Expecting drivers to troubleshoot, diagnose and rectify software problems on the fly just doesn't really cross me as a necessity, I'd rather the drivers focus on the actual driving (which is what everyone was screaming for in the first place). Obviously they have to have some idea of what's happening there because they are making all sorts of changes over a lap, but that the team can't tell them how to fix a problem or identify it, it just doesn't fit into the same category of a team coaching a driver on how to drive; it's more asking them to act as an engineer on top of the driving itself.

If the rule exists so we can see more driving actually driving and racing based on what they are capable of, it certainly didn't show it today. Instead of getting racing, you had a situation where a driver who was capable of actually racing being neutered and stuck in no mans land; fast enough to not be overtaken, not fast enough to overtake. It basically did the complete reverse of what spectators want to see; racing. Being head down looking at a screen flipping through settings isn't exactly racing.

Then the safety aspect. Doing 300km/h+, not looking at the track and instead playing IT support, I can't see how from the safety point of view, it doesn't come up as bit of an issue. For a sport where hundreds of a second can be the difference between going round a corner or ending up in a wall I would have thought the preference is for drivers to be able to focus on actually driving. No driver is NOT going to go rummaging through the settings if they think or know they can rectify the problem, something a driver could have fixed on a single straight if the team allowed them to took laps of a driver instead not looking at the road but focussing on that instead.

Hamilton is going to have to wear it for that track of course because the rules are the rules, but going forward I don't see how it benefits any driver to be in the dark about system software. I believe that is an area the technical crews should be able to advise on.

TCRS

Banned
Formula 4 is so funny. Safety car because of spin off, cars crash during safety car, red flag lmao. Mick Schumacher on 3.

DBT85

Dull race with everyone just sailing past under drs. I don't agree with this level of radio ban but they've made their decision. By all means stop them telling a driver about his line or where to break, that's how to drive a car and is his part of the team. But when the kit is throwing a fit and you have 10 dials to choose from its mad that they can't.

Though I'd have been tempted to either tell him outright and take the penalty, or code it. They coded instructions for years when they weren't allowed to move drivers around.

Grants to Perez though! Same for Hulk to lose those places so late on that strategy.

Zaru

What's going on with Force India?
After such a mediocre start to the season they're suddenly doing well in tracks as varied as Monaco, Montreal and Baku.

Chris R

So glad I didn't wake up at 4AM. What a terrible race.

Edit: Awesome, final two hours of LeMans were preempted by golf lol :( Thanks Fox!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
After such a mediocre start to the season they're suddenly doing well in tracks as varied as Monaco, Montreal and Baku.

Looks like they have good understanding of tyres and their upgrades are finally working

Mastah

They had pretty bad luck in first 4 races. Barcelona upgrade definitely increased their competitivness and with no problems during races they are delivering what they have. Although their performance in Baku was simply stunning, second fastest car in quali and possibility to fight with Ferrari during race was very impressive.

And now imagine what they could've achieved if only FOM money was distributed more equally and how much better F1 would it make.

kanuuna

Race wasn't terribly exciting but I'll say I really enjoyed my second time attending a Formula One race here in Baku (first one being COTA inaugural race in 2012). Kimi's penalty really sucked but Perez was strong and deserved the podium.

As for the GP - Place seemed somewhat empty to be honest apart from race day and closing concerts on Saturday and today on Sunday, but all in all things seemed fairly well organized from a spectators point of view. Closing concert by Pharrell was really, really good. City and its people were nice and dining was fairly cheap. All in all a good race to visit if you want to give the Azerbaijan a shot. I don't think I would have stumbled on this city had I not checked the F1 calendar.

Shaneus

For whoever it was that said the RBR engine upgrades made it as powerful as Ferrari:
Ricciardo held onto second place until lap six when Vettel's superior pace in the Ferrari showed Red Bull would be in for a long afternoon running mid-field.

Aiii

So not worth it
For whoever it was that said the RBR engine upgrades made it as powerful as Ferrari:

That was me. And perhaps you missed the part where the RBR was eating through both it's Soft and Supersoft tires and they had to go to Mediums. So it says nothing about engine power. VES also drove the fastest lap after both Merc drivers.

Megasoum

Banned
Haha via the Alt-F1 twitter...

Trackside food at Baku

ClUBP4PWkAAqlnb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom