• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Remember:

"Further to the discussion in the drivers' meeting yesterday evening I would like to confirm that we will again be adopting a "zero tolerance" approach to cars leaving the track at Turns 9, 15 and 18 during qualifying," read a statement issued by the FIA on Saturday morning.

Teams and drivers know this.

SilentRob

So stupid. Either have track limits apply to all the track or none.

FIA are so annoying.

You gain an advantage by going wide in those corners. You don't in the others. Going wide in the other corners is a punishment in itself because your time is going to suffer. Going wide in those three courners gives you an advantage. It's that simple.

kmag

FIA are so annoying.

Yep stupid contextual rules are part of the reason viewing figures are falling off a cliff.

It shouldn't be beyond the will or wit of man to say you know the track you're racing on, don't drift all four wheels off it during qualifying.

Hasney

FIA are so annoying.

Agreed. Not complaining about Hamiltons lap as they all probably went wide there to get the advantage, but either apply the rules everywhere or don't. It's pretty stupid right now.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

FIA are so annoying.

You can still get hit with a track limits penalty if you cut one of the other corners completely and gained a clear advantage, like if you ran straight through the esses. It's just that those highlighted corners have zero-tolerance applied to them, even if you don't gain an advantage from them.

kmag

In WEC they certainly do, but in F1 only if you "gain an advantage".

except on the 3 arbitrary corners they selected this race. Certainly on one of Magnussons laps he had screwed up the apex so much that he gained no advantage but his time got deleted.

Zeknurn

Rain won't matter, Mercedes has insane advantage (it is even bigger after major aero development) - only tech issues can bring them down.

While Mercedes is in a different Formula, rain still works as a equalizer and could throw some spanners in his engine. (Hopefully)

If Rosberg gets a better start, he should put his car on the outside and see if Hamilton gives him space.

Yep stupid contextual rules are part of the reason viewing figures are falling off a cliff.

It shouldn't be beyond the will or wit of man to say you know the track you're racing on, don't drift all four wheels off it during qualifying.
Yup I don't care who does or doesn't get penalised it's just retarded to have inconsistent rules.

No one can fucking explain this off-track nonsense.

A track is a track, just apply what WEC and other series do.

Cm7MT7DWIAA97eY.jpg:large

Juicy Bob

No one can fucking explain this off-track nonsense.

A track is a track, just apply what WEC and other series do.
So, if you lock up and run wide and lose time, your entire lap should be deleted too?

Why does it have to be some sort of binary system? I don't understand what the problem with having a nuanced system where you get penalised for gaining an advantage.

I think everything worked perfectly well today.

NewDust

I don't really care if every exceeding of tracklimits gets penalized, drivers need to get re-educated. What irks me is that only once so many races people are looking at tracklimits.

kmag

So, if you lock up and run wide and lose time, your entire lap should be deleted too?

Why does it have to be some sort of binary system? I don't understand what the problem with having a nuanced system where you get penalised for gaining an advantage.

Yes. I'm not sure what the issue would be with that. It would benefit the better drivers and maybe it would get them out of the we will only run the twice a session mind set.

If it's a quali lap, yes it should be deleted if they went off and didn't lift off.

In race, warnings plus penalty if they continue to go off.

It's not rocket science.

Juicy Bob

Ultimately, the drivers and teams have regular meetings with race control and they are all told, very clearly, 'THIS is what will be allowed, THIS is what WON'T be allowed'.

They all know the rules. As long as the penalties and time deletions are in accordance with what the drivers were told before the session - which everything seems to indicate is the case - what is the issue? It seems really simple and reasonable to me.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ultimately, the drivers and teams have regular meetings with race control and they are all told, very clearly, 'THIS is what will be allowed, THIS is what WON'T be allowed'.

They all know the rules. As long as the penalties and time deletions are in accordance with what the drivers were told before the session - which everything seems to indicate is the case - what is the issue? It seems really simple and reasonable to me.

There is no issue, it worked fine and I didn't hear a single driver complain about it.

If they want drivers to respect track limits they should stop with the tarmac runoffs and really flat kerbs.
Going four wheels of track should be way more difficult.

Zeknurn

With the Formula E season over, I think I'll look to GP2 for my racing fix. Race 1 is about to start.

edit: Marcus is okay and is on his way back to the track.

As a viewer if I didn't view this thread to see what the FIA said exactly I'd still have no idea why one lap was deleted and another wasn't.

It's not good fot viewers.

The Mercs are going to be untouchable tomorrow. Lewis's to lose, Nico's to make headlines with by doing something stupid. Come on ratchet this tension up to 11! I am expecting to see Alonso finish ahead of one of the Ferrari's tomorrow (not including a DNF).

Mastah

Gasly wins first race in 3 years!

Great job by Rowland once again, 3rd place driving for one of the shittiest teams in GP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom