• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

nny

Well, last race Checo was not warned of his brake issues because it was not allowed and he crashed because of that.

I'm confused.

Zeknurn

I hope you're ready for Hamilton being smug on the podium and Wolff giving his "Red Bull kept us honest, we almost retired both cars" line.

A pretty boring race all in all, we should have had a real start to the race.

kharma45

I hope you're ready for Hamilton being smug on the podium and Wolff giving his "Red Bull kept us honest, we almost retired both cars" line.

A pretty boring race all in all, we should have had a real start to the race.

That's what will annoy me most. Race might well have been boring but at least give us a proper start and the fun that brings.

What a boring race. Good for Hamilton, though. Not a lot to do for him, but it's not his fault that the others are so shit.

And fuck Ferrari.

SilentRob

They instructed how to reset it, something they refused to do for Hamilton a couple of races ago.

They also didn't tell Rosberg last time because car failure wasn't imminent because of it.

Obviously they now figured that car failure was immenent without their help. We'll have to see if the Stewards agree but this is not a "Let's help Rosberg, but let's not help Hamilton!"-thing.

Juicy Bob

We currently have a podium ceremony about to take place, but we don't know if that result is going to stand because of an investigation after the race as to whether or not a driver was told something over the radio he shouldn't.

How, exactly, is that a good thing? This radio situation has contributed hardly anything to improving the actual racing and, if anything, has given us some laughably silly situations with drivers unable to change simple things on their cars in order to race to their maximum.

Aiii

So not worth it
We currently have a podium ceremony about to take place, but we don't know if that result is going to stand because of an investigation after the race as to whether or not a driver was told something over the radio he shouldn't.

How, exactly, is that a good thing? This radio situation has contributed hardly anything to improving the actual racing and, if anything, has given us some laughably silly situations with drivers unable to change simple things on their cars in order to race to their maximum.

Rules are rules, he is either at fault or not. It is what it is.

Will be legitimately upset if Rosberg's position is changed. He earned the spot just fine and radio messages regarding "hey, do this so you don't have to retire the car this instant" damn well should be permitted.

After telling Lewis nothing in Baku (which sorted itself out?) and even that not appeasing the FIA, I do wonder what'll happen here. This radio crap needs to be sorted ASAP. Trying to block stuff that's critical to the function of the car is preposterous.

Mohonky

Wasn't he just in some wrong mode? This goes beyond that

My understanding is that it was but that he didn't actually do it, there was something that was acting up that caused the car to go back to that setting.

Regardless, the rule is fucking stupid. Do the FIA live in a vacuum? This isn't what followers wanted. They just wanted shit like 'brake later' or 'this gear for this corner' and shit gone, you know, telling the driver how to DRIVE.

I said it when Hamilton was having problems in Baku, if it's a technical issue with the car, they should be able to tell them if there is a remedy. To expect the drivers to troubleshoot technical issues in vehicles that have become so overwhelming mechanical & software these days is absurd. It takes teams of engineers to work this stuff, and they think a driver doing 300km/h has the time and mental capacity to sort that shit out while driving?

It's a safety issue as well, having the drivers focus on that, the steering wheel and trying to race and I know what people will say, "if it's unsafe they should focus on the driving then" but in all seriousness, no racer will do that, if there is a problem that's costing them time, they will try and fix it even if you tell them not too, in the same way before we had the VSC drivers would hammer through yellow flags even in unsafe conditions because no one wants to lose any time.

I just can't get my head around why the FIA thinks it's necessary, all the drivers have said it's bullshit, no one wants it this way for technical issues.

Ty4on

Edit: Mohonky put it better.

We don't have qualifications or races where the team is constantly going "do x, y and z in turn b".

I agree they should be able to help with technical issues, but I don't want the constant babying we had before.

Allowed:
* Instructions to select driver defaults for the sole purpose of mitigating loss of function of a sensor, actuator or controller whose degradation or failure was not detected and handled by the on-board software. In according with Article 8.2.4, any new setting chosen in this way must not enhance the performance of the car beyond that prior to the loss of function+

Does this cover Nico?

untitled-4bfjsb.gif
untitled-5rpj75.gif

roytheone

Will be legitimately upset if Rosberg's position is changed. He earned the spot just fine and radio messages regarding "hey, do this so you don't have to retire the car this instant" damn well should be permitted.

After telling Lewis nothing in Baku (which sorted itself out?) and even that not appeasing the FIA, I do wonder what'll happen here. This radio crap needs to be sorted ASAP. Trying to block stuff that's critical to the function of the car is preposterous.

The problem is that it is still a rule. It doesn't matter how stupid the rule is (because I agree, it is a super stupid rule), the rules are the rules and if there is a penalty associated with breaking them, that should be maintained until the rule is scrapped.

My understanding is that it was but that he didn't actually do it, there was something that was acting up that caused the car to go back to that setting.

Regardless, the rule is fucking stupid. Do the FIA live in a vacuum? This isn't what followers wanted. They just wanted shit like 'brake later' or 'this gear for this corner' and shit gone, you know, telling the driver how to DRIVE.

I said it when Hamilton was having problems in Baku, if it's a technical issue with the car, they should be able to tell them if there is a remedy. To expect the drivers to troubleshoot technical issues in vehicles that have so overwhelming mechanical & software these days is absurd. It takes teams of engineers to work this stuff, and they think a driver doing 300km/h has the time and mental capacity to sort that shit out while driving?

It's a safety issue as well, having the drivers focus on that, the steering wheel and trying to race and I know what people will say, "if it's unsafe they shouldn't focus on the driving then" but in all seriousness, no racer will do that, if there is a problem that's costing them time, they will try and fix it even if you tell them not too, in the same way before we had the VSC drivers would hammer through yellow flags even in unsafe conditions because no one wants to lose any time.

I just can't get my head around why the FIA thinks it's necessary, all the drivers have said it's bullshit, no one wants it this way for technical issues.

The easy solution would habe not broadcasting that bullshit.

BearPawB

Banned
The problem is that it is still a rule. It doesn't matter how stupid the rule is (because I agree, it is a super stupid rule), the rules are the rules and if there is a penalty associated with breaking them, that should be maintained until the rule is scrapped.

But the rule is vague and inconsistently enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom