• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Dr. Marko was right to switch Kvyat and Verstappen, Red Bull definitely benefitted greatly from that switch.

Hey I'm kinda new to the whole F1 thing but I've been missing races like today due to how early they are for me. I'm in Florida. Is there a way to watch the races later in the day?

NBCSN sometimes runs a replay of the race later on in the day. For example, NBCSN has a replay of this race starting in 2 and a half hours.

yami4ct

Hey I'm kinda new to the whole F1 thing but I've been missing races like today due to how early they are for me. I'm in Florida. Is there a way to watch the races later in the day?

I assume you have a TV package with NBC Sports Network if you're watching F1. In that case, NBSN re-airs the race later in the day and it will be available through their site and app for VOD for about a week or so after. I'm not sure exactly when the expiration is.

NewDust

I like how in this multi-billion dollar sport no one knows what the fuck the rules are and what is going to happen.

In this sport people don't know the rules, claim they didn't know, or know them and try to circumvent them as best as possible (aka cheating within the rules)

dalin80

Banned
Podium interview:

"You know, we're going to save 350 million pounds a week. It's a great thing."

You seem to be banging on this point but do you have any actual proof he was a leave voter or are you just trying to a ham-fisted association for the crowd?

kharma45

Radio rules

94NpFvU.jpg

Shirow

Banned
NBCSN sometimes runs a replay of the race later on in the day. For example, NBCSN has a replay of this race starting in 2 and a half hours.
Thank you. It will be the third race I ever watch, this sport is starting to grow on me even thou I don't fully understand a lot of the rules and details.

Jezbollah

so as they said on Sky, the issue is the driver coaching from the pit to suggest shifting through 7th gear. If that's the case it's pretty much a cert to be a penalty.

If you notice, #4 includes that whatever they're doing cannot improve the performance of the car, which it quite clearly seemed to do.

If the stewards decided that telling Perez "your brakes are going" is a violation of the radio ban, I don't see any way what Mercedes has done isn't also a violation. The question then is how severe the penalty is.

so as they said on Sky, the issue is the driver coaching from the pit to suggest shifting through 7th gear. If that's the case it's pretty much a cert to be a penalty.

YEP!

Nico will get 1.338s added to his time for sure!!!

Vestappen finished 1.339s behind Nico.

olore

Yes, he took the checkered flag more or less because of the radio messages. As far as I can tell from my sofa here in Scandinavia mind... But still. Rosberg said there was a good risk of him stopping on the track unless he was informed of the issue with his gearbox. There is a problem right there

NewDust

... and supposedly they are about to make them more harsh.
Classic FIA logic:
Is the rule stupid? --> Do it.
People are pissed at your stupid rule? --> Don't give a shit and double down.
Always been like that since the mid-80s.

To be fair, the driver coaching from 2 seasons prior was even worse.

Par Score

Time penalties can be 5, 10, 20 or 30 seconds.

Even that's really questionable. Force India apparently asked the stewards last week if they could communicate something like "your brakes are going" and were told no. Their legal options were to tell Perez to retire or leave him in the dark.

If that's where they're coming from on the radio ban, I don't see any way Mercedes doesn't get penalized for this.

Exactly.

If they can't tell Perez "Go easy on the brakes or you might have a potentially life threatening crash" then they sure as fuck can't tell Nico "Reset your gearbox and avoid 7th gear so you don't lose much time".

This should be a slam dunk penalty.

I never had problems with the "coaching" aspect of the radio calls from a few years back. You can't really coach a driver through wheel-to-wheel racing and it was much more interesting hearing a constant stream of radio banter on the broadcast. But it's all about finding a balance between the two extremes I suppose.

I never had problems with the "coaching" aspect of the radio calls from a few years back. You can't really coach a driver through wheel-to-wheel racing and it was much more interesting hearing a constant stream of radio banter on the broadcast. But it's all about finding a balance between the two extremes I suppose.

"Use diff setting 1, brake bias two clicks forward into turn 1" is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too much coaching, Ridiculous even.

I do miss the radio calls though.

Juicy Bob

And this isn't NASCAR. Modern F1 cars are some of the most complex machines in racing.

It's unreasonable to expect the drivers to know what the right settings to have for the differential, slip, brake balance, fuel map, ERS recovery, SOC and whatever all the way through a 90 minute race.

dalin80

Banned
Can't believe there were no penalties for all the unsafe releases after the safety car.

Were any actually unsafe? Can't recall anyone having to swerve or hit the brakes, didn't hear any grumbles on the team radios about it. They may have been very close but that doesn't imply unsafe.

Bouniter

Time penalties can be 5, 10, 20 or 30 seconds.

Exactly.

If they can't tell Perez "Go easy on the brakes or you might have a potentially life threatening crash" then they sure as fuck can't tell Nico "Reset your gearbox and avoid 7th gear so you don't lose much time".

This should be a slam dunk penalty.

This I find it very difficult to see how they could penalise anyone in the future for radio messages if their isn't some kind of penalty for this, especially when
teams have been told no to sending messages in past races.

However this rule is total nonsense and needs to be rid of.

They could have replaced the drivers for AI and you wouldn't have noticed it. Of course I am exaggerating, but driver thinking on how to cope with certain issues or how to attack/defend was almost non-existant.

Yes, you are exaggerating.

Wanna maybe try again with stuff based on what happened the past years for real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom