• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuckthew

Alonso had already got going again, so there was no longer a danger on track. I'm guessing this one of the reasons he isn't being investigated.

spuckthew

No. Yellow flags were still out. Drivers have to slow down regardless of whether a car is in a dangerous position or not.

I agree. I'm not defending Rosberg (I'd love for him to be penalised), I'm just thinking out loud why the stewards haven't bothered to investigate it.

Rosberg didn't slow down; he lifted a fraction.

Juicy Bob

If we're going to damn Rosberg for this, then we should damn every driver on the grid.

I can promise you that virtually every single driver has acted the same way through a yellow flag zone in their F1 career before - it's just that most of the time it's not in circumstances like this. It's in practice, or in a race when a car is pulled off track or something similar.

Rosberg lifted. He could've gone quicker than he did. He did not act in a manner that was grossly unsafe. He just got lucky that the car was there when Lewis turned up and wasn't there when he did.

If we're going to damn Rosberg for this, then we should damn every driver on the grid.

I can promise you that virtually every single driver has acted the same way through a yellow flag zone in their F1 career before - it's just that most of the time it's not in circumstances like this. It's in practice, or in a race when a car is pulled off track or something similar.

Rosberg lifted. He could've gone quicker than he did. He did not act in a manner that was grossly unsafe. He just got lucky that the car was there when Lewis turned up and wasn't there when he did.

If the stewards hadnt been penalising drivers throughout this season for things much more trivial than going full speed through a double waved yellow section, I'd agree.

Except people have been getting penalties for trivial things all season because "rules are rules".

Rules were also rules today, which is why people are asking what the deal is with a driver speeding through a double waved yellow sector and gaining pole position for it after a handful of other cars had faster S1 times than him.

What a shit show of a qualifying. Has any session seen as many red flags as Q1 today?

It speaks for the apalling wet weather abilities of the drivers, fuckers can't drive a wet track to save their lives, they should do like nascar and don't race on wet tracks and get one of those pickup trucks with a plane turbine to dry the track and then race

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 3m3 minutes ago
Confirmation from the FIA that @nico_rosberg has been called to the stewards for yellow flag investigation

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 4m4 minutes ago
The note from the FIA stewards is timed at 19.16 (local time), so they have only just decided to pursue the ROS issue

What a joke.

Nothing will come out of it. They took forever to decide to review... and Nico's got some teflon on with regards to stewards investigations.

My guess is Nico's in the clear, but then there is a clarification provided by FIA for the next race onwards.

Jibbed

This isn't a joke. Double waved yellows means a car on track, or potentially marshalls etc.

You're supposed to slow to a speed where you're prepared to stop if necessary. A lift isn't enough!

We'll see what the verdict is shortly anyway.

John_B

This season is full of crazy.

There needs to be some consensus of how yellow flags are handled. Could Hamilton and Ricciardo technically also just have lifted their feet from the throttle and then slammed it back down immediately to adhere to lifting/slowing?

Hamilton slowed down to almost nothing which was the safe thing to do. Rosberg came up to double yellow with the visibility of only two corners. He could not see what would be ahead before exiting the second turn which was the turn he went full throttle through.

Mastah

And you know what is even crazier? That 5 cars, inluding both Red Bulls, can be moved to the back of the grid, because they were outside 107% in Q1:

CoETrCeWIAAr-mE.jpg

CoEVtLEWAAQA_tm.jpg

DieH@rd

Banned
And you know what is even crazier? That 5 cars, inluding both Red Bulls, can be moved to the back of the grid, because they were outside 107% in Q1:

107% demotion almost never happened, because drivers can be let in using their faster times they made during practice sessions.

sam777

CoETrCeWIAAr-mE.jpg

CoEVtLEWAAQA_tm.jpg

What is crazy is why on earth have has it taken 4 hours to investigate this and the Rosberg issue.

Jibbed

Lack of viability? It was scorchio at that point.

Not with the conditions, I mean the corner.

He lifted (slightly) to lose 0.1s in a blind, double yellow section of the circuit that could've had a car/personnel on circuit.

Huge difference in single/stationary yellows versus double waved.

Jibbed

CoETrCeWIAAr-mE.jpg

CoEVtLEWAAQA_tm.jpg

Q1 doesn't count in these circumstances, sorry.

The cars in question are well within the pace percentage required and demonstrated so in all practice sessions, and then again in Q2/3.

This is some next-level reaching.

Edit: And the session in question was also red flagged 4 times. Can't reasonably expect that to overrule common sense in this situation.

John_B

The 107% was stupid to begin with and now the FIA has to look like idiots one way or another. It's every season in F1 we have the rules creating unclear situations that end up with poor outcomes. The radio ban will only create more of his stuff.

kmag

Q1 doesn't count in these circumstances, sorry.

The cars in question are well within the pace percentage required and demonstrated so in all practice sessions, and then again in Q2/3.

This is some next-level reaching.

Edit: And the session in question was also red flagged 4 times. Can't reasonably expect that to overrule common sense in this situation.

But the rule doesn't say that. The rule says you need to be within 107% percent in Q1 and in exceptional circumstances you can be allowed to race if not but from the back of the grid. It's a badly written rule but it's hardly stopped them before.

John_B

Ecclestone allowed those teams in just to make up the numbers. The rule was never enforced anyways and with todays qualifying it clearly looks like a very poor rule considering it does not take into account the change of track conditions or red flags.

Mastah

107% demotion almost never happened, because drivers can be let in using their faster times they made during practice sessions.

That's not the problem. The issue is drivers outside 107% of the fastest time in Q1 need to be allowed by race stewards to participate in the race, but that means they have to start from the back. Just to give you one example, quali for 2011 Belgian GP when 4 drivers were outside 107% because of changeable conditions, but also they were 4 slowest in Q1, so that didn't matter.

Problem with this weekend is 5 drivers outside 107% in Q1 advanced in Q2 and Q3, but we don't know whether they need to be officially allowed by stewards, does it mean they have to start from the back or what else these rules stipulate?

Bianca Leppert ‏@janci1612 4m4 minutes ago

In the case of Rosberg there will be no further action. But the 107 % issue from Q2 is still discussed, could be a long one

She meant Q1 obviously.

Jibbed

That's not the problem. The issue is drivers outside 107% of the fastest time in Q1 need to be allowed by race stewards to participate in the race, but that means they have to start from the back. Just to give you one example, quali for 2011 Belgian GP when 4 drivers were outside 107% because of changeable conditions, but also they were 4 slowest in Q1, so that didn't matter.

Problem with this weekend is 5 drivers outside 107% in Q1 advanced in Q2 and Q3, but we don't know whether they need to be officially allowed by stewards, does it mean they have to start from the back or what else these rules stipulate?

There is no problem, nothing will come of this.

The rules are poorly written and don't accommodate for a session with changeable conditions and an unprecedented amount of Red flags.

No further action in the case of Rosberg. Can't wait to see how they will justify this.

And I am sure Jules's parents' lawyers will be just as curious.

Mastah

There is no problem, nothing will come of this.

The rules are poorly written and don't accommodate for a session with changeable conditions and an unprecedented amount of Red flags.

Whether anything will come out of this we'll see, but clearly there is a problem with interpretation of the rules:

Daniel Ricciardo, Max Verstappen, Sergio Perez, Nico Hulkenberg and Valtteri Bottas could be sent towards the back of the Hungarian Grand Prix grid over the 107 percent rule.

The FIA stewards are currently debating an interpretation of the F1 regulations that in theory could mean all five drivers lose their current grid slots.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-force-india-bottas-face-grid-threat-801649/

John_B

So when the FIA said that Bianchi did not slow sufficiently for double yellow it could clearly not have been more than a tenth.

Rosberg saga perhaps not yet over. Seems like some journos jumped the gun a little. FIA hasn't released an official statement.

Sky Sport F1® HD ‏@SkySportF1HD 1m

Ron Meadows, sporting Director Mercedes, released by the stewards, said he believes @nico_rosberg"will have no penalty." #HungarGames

Jibbed

No official announcement yet, some people jumping the gun on Twitter.

The 107% nonsense is also coming from the same people. Primary news outlets aren't reporting it at all.

Zeknurn

As I said, Rosberg wouldn't get penalized because he lifted. Hate the interpretation of the rule, not the driver.

CoETrCeWIAAr-mE.jpg

CoEVtLEWAAQA_tm.jpg

While it does sound like the rule is applicable, if they were to enact this it would kill the race.

"FIA confirms no further action on @nico_rosberg after yellow flag investigation"

Yep. Just saw this. Interesting. Didn't look like he lifted significantly. This will set a dangerous precedent going forward.

And I am sure lawyers for the Bianchis will be licking their chops.

As I said, Rosberg wouldn't get penalized because he lifted. Hate the interpretation of the rule, not the driver.

While it does sound like the rule is applicable, if they were to enact this it would kill the race.

It would actually spice up the race. Mercedes are more than likely much faster than the RBRs. With the RBRs at the back, this would provide constant entertainment as they claw their way back up the field.

Mastah

No official announcement yet, some people jumping the gun on Twitter.

The 107% nonsense is also coming from the same people. Primary news outlets aren't reporting it at all.

Eh?

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1 20s21 seconds ago

Word on the street is that FIA is going to apply 107% rule strictly, which would demote both VES & RIC (among others). Nothing official yet

Would be absolutely shocking if true.

Juicy Bob

It's OK. I'm sure the FIA wrote in a sensible appendix to that rule about it not applying in instances of rapidly changing track conditions or interrupted by repeated red flags or force majeure...

*reads FIA rules*

...ah.

tonka

Well I suppose maybe we should be glad they are trying to follow their own rules.

The rules need to change obviously but the rules have been like this for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom