• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerTaxi

Banned
I think they've fucking done it looking at the last paragraph:

CoEm_RgWgAQdqw7.jpg:large

Going by the previous picture, wouldn't that mean the people who were outside 107% and didn't make it through Q1?

kmag

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1 1m1 minute ago
Confirmed - article 35.1 applied. Red Bulls drop from third and fourth to 13th and 12th, among other things

and with that, I think I'm done.

spuckthew

In what world is this right? Rosberg gets off scot-free and both RedBulls, who are easily the second fastest cars on the grid, somehow get fucked by the stewards being morons and demoting them off some technicality? In no universe is a RedBull not making 107%. The conditions were extraordinary, and they should have taken that into account.

BigAl1992

In what world is this right? Rosberg gets off scot-free and both RedBulls, who are easily the second fastest cars on the grid, somehow get fucked by the stewards being morons and demoting them off some technicality? In no universe is a RedBull not making 107%. The conditions were extraordinary, and they should have taken that into account.

I'm just the messenger here for the whole Rosberg debacle, but it turns out his telemetry acquitted him on the turn into turn 8.

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/756921229550948353

Mastah

BUT:

Chris Medland ‏@ChrisMedlandF1 54s54 seconds ago

BREAKING: FIA decides NOT to demote Red Bull, Force India and Bottas due to "exceptional circumstances"

There is now a 30 minute window for teams to protest. Not over yet

ramparter

Banned
The problem here isnt the conditions, its the rules itself. Why count only q1 for 107℅? Its easy to blame FIA but other teams could complain for not following the rules. I really hope thougj, for the sports own good, that the rule wont be applied and no teams object to that.

Edit: Decided agaibst, good!
And as I was saying, other teams could protest..

John_B

But Magnussen was a clear victim of these circumstances yet is still penalized?

It's the same with the FIA and these rulings. It's all highly political. I learned this when Hamilton was robbed of his victory at Spa back in 2008. He was clearly following the rule as it was written but not the "spirit" of the rule which FIA then clarified after the fact.

Yep. Just saw this. Interesting. Didn't look like he lifted significantly. This will set a dangerous precedent going forward.

And I am sure lawyers for the Bianchis will be licking their chops.
How the fuck would it help their case?

It's OK. I'm sure the FIA wrote in a sensible appendix to that rule about it not applying in instances of rapidly changing track conditions or interrupted by repeated red flags or force majeure...

*reads FIA rules*

...ah.

Of course not. Half of the rulebook was written in a hurry to react to something,in this case slow ass backmarkers getting lapped within the first 10 laps. Did you expect the FIA would sit down with everyone involved to actually write it down properly and think of any potential problems that could arise?
To be fair to the FIA though,the teams aren't helping the situation either. The only time teams seem to be willing to propose something is when it benefits them(like RBR's proposed changes to the 2017 rulebook). Nobody is willing to sit down and offer something constructive.Most of the time they seem to just greenlight whatever asinine idea the FIA and Bernie put forward(after they have rejected Bernie's initial borderline insane idea of course) .
Knock-out qualifying was the epitomy of that. Bernie wanted reverse grids for qualifying to satisfy the circuit promoters who wanted to spice up qualy. Everybody though it was stupid but nobody seemed to want to tell that to Bernie, so they ended up with a monstrosity of a qualy system just to satisfy him without giving in to his stupid initial demand. They had to listen to the outcry first to decide to grow a pair and tell the old man to fuck off.

John_B

How the fuck would it help their case?
There was a review of the accident. It concludes Bianchi was at fault for not slowing enough when presented with double yellows.

http://www.fia.com/news/accident-panel

3. Bianchi did not slow sufficiently to avoid losing control at the same point on the track as Sutil.

4. If drivers adhere to the requirements of double yellow flags, as set out in Appendix H, Art. 2.4.5.1.b, then neither competitors nor officials should be put in immediate or physical danger.
Today the FIA says that Rosberg was slowing enough when presented with double yellows but it's quite clear for people with eyes that his speed did not slow much at all and only for a fraction of a second.

So how can the FIA blame Bianchi for his driving when he did what the FIA clearly now deems to be acceptable driving in regards to double yellows?

John_B

These drivers can retain their positions because of exceptional circumstances, but not these other drivers that had the exact same exceptional circumstances, unless anyone appeals, except there is a rule that says you can't appeal this ruling.

Sorry if my posts are too negative. I would just wish for the sport to have a clear framework of rules that everyone understands and that makes it simple for teams and drivers to compete without it ending up in hours of updating Twitter to find out if somebody did something wrong or not.

dakun

There was a review of the accident. It concludes Bianchi was at fault for not slowing enough when presented with double yellows.

http://www.fia.com/news/accident-panel

Today the FIA says that Rosberg was slowing enough when presented with double yellows but it's quite clear for people with eyes that his speed did not slow much at all and only for a fraction of a second.

So how can the FIA blame Bianchi for his driving when he did what the FIA clearly now deems to be acceptable driving in regards to double yellows?

maybe they think that the conditions during Bianchi's accident were worse and as such needed bigger precautions by the driver to avoid an accident than during the incident today.
It would be a reasonable stance in terms of the Bianchi accident imo. Though i still think that Rosberg didn't slow the car down enough.

Distance between drivers head and the ground is scary as hell.......look at that, one ill placed sausage kerb or something and thats a serious impact.

Similar to Webber in Valencia. That kerb probably wasn't as high as this one but he landed in the same way. I've never really understood why the roll bar isn't a bit higher.

But in this situation a halo may have been useful. This might turn out to be a very important incident.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nothing will come out of it. They took forever to decide to review... and Nico's got some teflon on with regards to stewards investigations.

My guess is Nico's in the clear, but then there is a clarification provided by FIA for the next race onwards.

I'd be happy for this. A quick lift might be suitable for a single yellow, but double yellows should require more significant 'prepare to stop' action from drivers. Otherwise what's the point of having double yellows?

Zeknurn

Take a drink everytime Suzie says racecraft and DC says maturity in this far too long segment.

edit: Did one of the Mercedes just have a power unit failure as he left the box?

I guess not, but that was a lot of smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom