• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastah

Championship in his 5th GP2 season featuring weak field, with only 4 wins in the best team. Well, no, he doesn't deserve it and looking at his career since then, which includes whooping 5 races in Blancpain GT Series, maybe he knows it too.

Mastah

Honda beats Mercedes!

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1 2m2 minutes ago

Honda confirmed another new engine for Alonso - so a total of 60 (academic) places. He will start last behind Hamilton

Lewis really needs to keep his nose clean this time. Starting China from the grid was a poor decision IMO and went badly wrong. He should hang back at the start, maybe allow Alonso past into turn 1. Then when the McLaren blows up on the way to Eau Rouge he'll get the place back. After that, wait another lap until they're all in single file for the afternoon and then pick them off.

Zeknurn

Lewis really needs to keep his nose clean this time. Starting China from the grid was a poor decision IMO and went badly wrong. He should hang back at the start, maybe allow Alonso past into turn 1. Then when the McLaren blows up on the way to Eau Rouge he'll get the place back. After that, wait another lap until they're all in single file for the afternoon and then pick them off.

Hamilton and keeping noses clean are two things that do not go together. He will be gunning for at least 14th before the first lap is over.

tomtom94

I find it weird that Hamilton elected to start from the pitlane earlier in the season when there was no risk of a first-corner incident and all it meant was he started a few seconds off the pack but is starting on the grid in Belgium, king of the first-lap accident.

I find it weird that Hamilton elected to start from the pitlane earlier in the season when there was no risk of a first-corner incident and all it meant was he started a few seconds off the pack but is starting on the grid in Belgium, king of the first-lap accident.

Probably wants to get a few places up the straight after Raidillon.

spuckthew

If we're lucky Grojean will wipe out half of the front runners again (including Rosberg) and we'll be blessed (lol) with a cracking race.
(As long as no-one gets hurt ofc.)

Aiii

So not worth it
Nothing would make me happier then the guys that rarely contend for race wins getting eliminated including also the main contender for the title, so that Hamilton can win and extend his lead some more.

No. Wait.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Nothing would make me happier then the guys that rarely contend for race wins getting eliminated including also the main contender for the title, so that Hamilton can win and extend his lead some more.

No. Wait.

Don't correct yourself. You were right the first time.

Aiii

So not worth it
You think Verstappen is gonna go on the mediums around lap 4 or 5 and try and try and finish the race on a one stop?

Goldrusher

Just got back from a scorching hot Saturday afternoon at the track.

Your first view:

NqfuARL.jpg

A little closer:

gj1BlU1.jpg

Eau Rouge itself:

NFiJ28P.jpg

Huge crowds everywhere:

l5DyPp5.jpg

Pouhon:

GsYMJCk.jpg

0fe7hwt.jpg

From the hillside:

jajvRgK.jpg

GjcIFWn.jpg

nytCAIf.jpg

Scaling the mountain:

f3sIHVf.jpg

HQRP6kc.jpg

hw3Ldrf.jpg

Pretty much the top:

ezZrcax.jpg

You can get this close:

ogqiTba.jpg

Rivage:

zLroc4h.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Bit of cloudy weather and thunderstorms going past now. Tomorrow should be about 25 with clouds, so the track temperature should be well below the 40 degrees they were at qualifying start today and during the GP sessions. Might prove interesting with regards to the SS performance.

tomtom94

Bit of cloudy weather and thunderstorms going past now. Tomorrow should be about 25 with clouds, so the track temperature should be well below the 40 degrees they were at qualifying start today and during the GP sessions. Might prove interesting with regards to the SS performance.

The supersoft performance is more due to the very high mandatory tyre pressures from the sounds of things.

Aiii

So not worth it
The supersoft performance is more due to the very high mandatory tyre pressures from the sounds of things.

Heat increases the tire pressure, and since Belgium is normally a lot colder, the teams got caught out by the US wearing so quickly, from what I understood.

Mind you, it won't be a huge difference, but they might get a lap or two more out of them than they expected.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Heat increases the tire pressure, and since Belgium is normally a lot colder, the teams got caught out by the US wearing so quickly, from what I understood.

Mind you, it won't be a huge difference, but they might get a lap or two more out of them than they expected.

Lower temps also means that teams will be able to extend their stints on softs

RSP

Ah0sd0m.jpg

My spot during FP1 and 2. It was sooo hot!

Watching the race at home, but was great to hear and watch the cars in real-life!

NewDust

So, is everyone ready emotionally for Kimi's win today?

13+ seconds gap to a Redbull is my prediction

It could be a possibility. Looking at Kimi's sector times (s1 3rd, s2 2nd, s3 2n) the overall pace is there and we know Kimi can drive very consistent. But... He'll have stay out of harms way, being positioned one place behind Max on the grid, we might get a temperamental battle if Max can't pass Nico in the opening stage. And even then he has to get past the Merc. And on top of that, hasn't the Ferrari had notoriously bad tire management this season? Tires seem a more important factor than ever at Spa.

Like I said, I see the possibility, but I wouldn't count on it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It could be a possibility. Looking at Kimi's sector times (s1 3rd, s2 2nd, s3 2n) the overall pace is there and we know Kimi can drive very consistent. But... He'll have stay out of harms way, being positioned one place behind Max on the grid, we might get a temperamental battle if Max can't pass Nico in the opening stage. And even then he has to get past the Merc. And on top of that, hasn't the Ferrari had notoriously bad tire management this season? Tires seem a more important factor than ever at Spa.

Like I said, I see the possibility, but I wouldn't count on it.

Plus there is also a factor of 'lets screw Kimi tactic at Ferrari.
And their pace on softs was not nearly as impressive as on supersofts and they suffered with huge degradation. Plus I do not think that they even tried mediums.

If temps stay as high as on Friday and Saturday, I expect quite crazy race.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I can imagine Daniel Kvyat waking up to that this morning and thinking he was genuinely fourth on the grid before he properly woke up and felt even more depressed than usual.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Well, it is 31 degrees Celsius in Spa right now, with clear sky and temperature is still rising.

So much for 'much cooler' temps. Unless a lone storm sweeps the circut in next 90 minutes, I do not think that will get much cooler - tarmac keeps the temperature for quite some time

Oh and looks like Lewis will have to start from the pitlane due to gearbox replacement, but they can change his setup because of that

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Well, it is 31 degrees Celsius in Spa right now, with clear sky and temperature is still rising.

So much for 'much cooler' temps. Unless a lone storm sweeps the circut in next 90 minutes, I do not think that will get much cooler - tarmac keeps the temperature for quite some time

Oh and looks like Lewis will have to start from the pitlane due to gearbox replacement

Good for the race this afternoon. Verstappen is going to win.
Hamilton to struggle to make top 6.

Mastah

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1 6m6 minutes ago

Hamilton clarification - he will not start from the pits. It appears stewards imposed wrong penalty for Mercedes breaking the gearbox seal

F1, everyone.

Aiii

So not worth it

Oh and looks like Lewis will have to start from the pitlane due to gearbox replacement, but they can change his setup because of that

It is 28 and dropping in Spa, actually

Mastah

Niki said Mercs have 3 tenths/lap of advantage over the rest in race pace.

Sauber F1 Team ‏@SauberF1Team 37s38 seconds ago

We identified issues with the cooling system at Marcus' car. We need to do some changes,he has to start the #BelgianGP from the pit lane #F1

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Word on the street is it's three-stop minimum and even then you have to "drive like a granny" to make tyres work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom