• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

DBT85

If we are gonna do this kind of stuff to undermine the sport, then I would much rather see Bernie's idea of sprinkles to create random wet situations on-track instead.

I'd have no issue with tracks that feature sprinklers actually using them. Things always get more interesting with water on the track. It would of course have to be randomised and automatic, and not picked on a whim by any particular person.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Plenty of run-off.

Paul%20Ricard.jpg

Oh right, the circuit does have a sprinkler system for wet-tyre testing. Hmmmm.

Aiii

So not worth it
I would be for it if it was a fixed wet race. But with the Bianchi lawsuit going on, that won't happen any time soon.

Oh well, at least it is not Magny Cours, that would be even worse.

DBT85

I wonder if it's being lined up as a long-term replacement for the German GP.

German GP alternates between Nurbugring and Hockenheim. Next season was due to be Nurburgring but since they can't afford it Hockenheim were trying to get a deal sorted, but it wasn't possible. Don't think they have any issues for the the 2018 race they were already expecting to host.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Awful news, because it's an awful circuit. Enormous track limits abuse, very questionable safety standard and it's a real eyesore:

The runoff is supposed to degrade tires. If there is any abuse, it'll theoretically result in early wear. The circuit is Grade 1, I'm sure it's plenty safe enough. However, I agree the environs leave much to be desired.

Haha, they must have found a great deal on paint.

Where the hell are any grandstands?
There aren't any aside from the front straight. The seating capacity is 10,000.

Mastah

The runoff is supposed to degrade tires. If there is any abuse, it'll theoretically result in early wear.

Yeah, "supposed to". I've seen many races at Paul Ricard, but not yet one instance, when drivers would be careful over run-offs. Maybe it's damaging tyres when they are braking on these blue/red lines, but no one does it, lol.

The circuit is Grade 1, I'm sure it's plenty safe enough. However, I agree the environs leave much to be desired.

After Baku circuit with its 10 metres of run-off from over 300kph was rated Grade 1, these requirements are a joke, really.

I can only speak about how it is now, becasue we don't know what kind of modifications will be made, but at Paul Ricard there's too much armco and too little catch fences and tyre or tecpro barriers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC-RJQ6LA1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFBA7nx4JAU

Mind you, I actually like where the circuit is located. I love its Mediterranean feel, but the track itself is utter tosh, meh.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So the spectators should fit in easily. ;p

They can erect additional stands.

And Bernie said that French GP is happening in 2018. Plus German GP could happen in 2018, because they have a spot reserved for them. Official presentation will follow on Monday, there is also a strong chance of slight track redesign.

As for blue-red stripes - blue lines are made from asphalt mixed with tungsten, effect on the car speed is similar like going thorough shallow gravel. Red lines are far more abrasive and effect is similar to deep gravel - they will slow you down very fast, but also tyres will be wasted.

Mastah

Jorge Lorenzo about driving F1 car:

"I expected it to be much harder to drive because I tried an F2 car two days before at Snetterton and the F2 was very difficult to drive. The engine was very nervous, the steering wheel was very hard.

"But when I tried the simulator in Mercedes' factory I was like 'wow, this is much easier'. Maybe the simulator is too easy and the reality will be much harder, but no.

"When I tried the car is real life the steering wheel was so smooth, the power delivery was very constant, and I imagined that in the corners it would be very easy to spin, to lose control. but it was very grippy and very easy to be fast."

How was it physically?

"Easier than expected, but for me it would be very difficult to stay one race in the car with the same speed, the same precision.

"But as I told you, the steering was very smooth, the power delivery is smooth and you can relax your head in the car a little bit. Without these supports it would be very tough."

more: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/j...ogp-riders-are-braver-than-f1-drivers-855920/

Mastah

HOLY SHIT - Rosberg announced his retirement from F1 :O

"For me it is a very special day to receive the trophy this evening is going to be amazing but for another reason: I want to take the opportunity to announce to end F1 career," said Rosberg.

"It has been every since I started since six-year old I had a clear dream. Tat was to become F1 world champion and it was very clear in my mind, whatever I could think, I have achieved it, put everything into it and put everything into it, - help of fans, managed to achieve it. I will remember forever."

Wow, just WOW.

Who will replace him? Jeez, so many drivers must be dreaming about that seat right now.

Jorge Lorenzo about driving F1 car:

To be fair, he's talking about driving the best car in F1 right now. I remember when Chandhok and Karthikeyan commented for BBC or Sky some laps for a FP session (or something like that, it was years ago) and they said how jealous they were seeing how the cars at the top performed on track, how smooth they were, with no counter-steering or anything light that, while they had to fight their cars (Caterham and HRT, I think) all the time.

I'm not saying that it's not "relatively easy" to drive an F1, but picking the best of the best kinda makes it a moot point.

mclem

Well, on the bright side... we might get another ALT-F1 out of this.

So... have they known this in advance? Do they have another driver lined up already?

hamchan

Haha good for Rosberg. Went out on top, no one can take away that WDC from him. Who wants to stay when he's already rich, already achieved his goal, and just takes a bunch of boos from the media and the fans in most races. Now he's going to go home and be a family man and I can't blame him.

Mastah

Alonso, Vettel, I would understand and even somehow expect. But Rosberg? Either his wife wanted it or something really bad happened inside Mercedes leading to Abu Dhabi and in these few days after.

Hanmik

Nico Rosberg: said:
“Since 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my ‘one thing’ to become Formula One World Champion. Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target.And now I’ve made it. I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right. My strongest emotion right now is deep gratitude to everybody who supported me to make that dream happen.

“This season, I tell you, it was so damn tough. I pushed like crazy in every area after the disappointments of the last two years; they fuelled my motivation to levels I had never experienced before. And of course that had an impact on the ones I love, too – it was a whole family effort of sacrifice, putting everything behind our target. I cannot find enough words to thank my wife Vivian; she has been incredible. She understood that this year was the big one, our opportunity to do it, and created the space for me to get full recovery between every race, looking after our daughter each night, taking over when things got tough and putting ourchampionship first.

“When I won the race in Suzuka, from the moment when the destiny of the title was in my own hands, the big pressure started and I began to think about ending my racing career if I became World Champion. On Sunday morning in Abu Dhabi, I knew that it could be my last race and that feeling cleared my head before the start. I wanted to enjoy every part of the experience, knowing it might be the last time… and then the lights went out and I had the most intense 55 laps of my life. I took my decision on Monday evening. After reflecting for a day, the first people I told were Vivian and Georg (Nolte, from Nico’s management team), followed by Toto.

“The only thing that makes this decision in any way difficult for me is because I am putting my racing family into a toughsituation. But Toto understood. He knew straight away that I was completely convinced and that reassured me. My proudest achievement in racing will always be to have won the world championship with this incredible team of people,the Silver Arrows.

“Now, I’m just here to enjoy the moment. There is time tosavour the next weeks, to reflect on the season and to enjoy every experience that comes my way. After that, I will turn the next corner in my life and see what it has in store for me…”

hmmmm

Danielsan

What the fuck.

Edit: I definitely respect Nico for valuing his family over his career and stopping now that he has reached his life time goal.

hamchan

I can only imagine how tough it must be to travel around the world 3/4s of the year, lugging the family around with you or possibly not even seeing them for weeks at a time. I can only respect a man who decides to put his family first. He already achieved a dream and now he wants to raise his daughter, respect.

Top Bottom