• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Aiii

So not worth it
Just think, Max could have been in Nico's seat next year if he'd join Merc's programme instead of Red Bull's.

Instead he joined RBR and instead of driving at the back of the grid for Manor he already has a race win, tons of podiums and a legendary wet race behind him.

NHale

Instead he joined RBR and instead of driving at the back of the grid for Manor he already has a race win, tons of podiums and a legendary wet race behind him.

And quite frankly on a team that has the best personnel to deal with changing regulations. He's a WDC contender next year. Everyone in the paddock firmly believes RBR is at least on the same level as Mercedes next year (of course feelings don't win races...)

Spades

Carlos Sainz Jr. to Mercedes makes a lot of sense in 2017. No room for him at Red Bull long-term and he's not going to hang around at STR forever. Opportunity here for Red Bull to get some cash from Mercedes and free-up a seat for Gasly.

xrnzaaas

There can only be one

maldo_3095887.jpg

Will miss Rosberg, but this does mean we get a proper driver speculation off season now!

111k2smt.jpg

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Whoa.

I'm sure part of it is being sick of all the F1 politics :p

But very interesting to see who'll take that seat.

Zeknurn

Carlos Sainz Jr. to Mercedes makes a lot of sense in 2017. No room for him at Red Bull long-term and he's not going to hang around at STR forever. Opportunity here for Red Bull to get some cash from Mercedes and free-up a seat for Gasly.

You think Red Bull would let go a driver as good as if not better than Verstappen, one they are keeping as backup for when Ricciardo bails? They didn't release him for Renault and they definitely won't release him for their main competitor.

Spades

You think Red Bull would let go a driver as good as if not better than Verstappen, one they are keeping as backup for when Ricciardo bails? They didn't release him for Renault and they definitely won't release him for their main competitor.

What? When is Ricciardo going to bail? You think they'll keep Sainz at STR for another 2-3 seasons? No chance.

Holy shit. But let's not forget he's been in F1 for 10 years. I'm gonna need some popcorn for this silly season. ALO TO MERC!!
2017 McHonda World Champs

DBT85

Fuck me. That was out of the blue!

Credit to him for putting his family first. Going out on top has got to be hard as you must feel unbeatable.

Now the fun begins over next year! Though you have to ask, if it isn't Pascal why even bother having him on the books.

Going to be crazy to see who will roll the dice and swap teams if it isn't him, as the new regs really could shake things up. You have to think that both Max and Danny feel comfortable with Red Bulls chances. Vettel wants to be the #1 and he won't get that with Hamilton in the team, though you'd still bet on Meet doing better than Ferrari, because insertferrarigif.gif.

Would love to see Alonso given a decent car again and I'd love to see Vettel and Hamilton in the same team.

DD

:(

I see it being Pascal or Valteri. I think Hamilton would veto Alonso, and being Toto a control freak, Alonso and Hamilton would be a meltdown recipe.

I'd love to see Sergio or Daniel there, tho.

Brazil is tentative but looking less and less likely
Both Brazil and Canada were recently confirmed. Germany is out, tho.

We really need a top driver there

If Mercedes ends up on top like this year then it'll be boring as hell.

Alonso would be awesome next to Lewis again

h3ro

Poor Hulkenberg. Always a bridesmaid.

I wonder if his team is working on his Renault deal to see if the Merc drive is possible.

DD

"This is the first time he has won in 18 years, hence why it was not a surprise that he decided to stop."

Errr...he really meant "first time he's beaten me in 18 years" didn't he? That's a pretty sad thing to say.

The guy can't take his head out of his own ass.

It's going to be weird now that most established drivers already have a contract.

Is there any chance that Mercedes knew about this and that is why they moved Ocon to Force India instead of Wehrlein (who can now sign for Mercedes)?

John_B

F1 is brutal on drivers. I feel like Rosberg made a smart decision to go out like this.

For the sake of F1 please get Alonso into that seat. Toto will look like he aged 10 years before the summer break trying to control Alonso and Hamilton like puppets.

They will make the boring decision and promote Wehrlein and excuse putting Hamilton front and center with increased pressure from Red Bull.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Holy shit, Rosberg.

I can only echo the other comments. Respect for putting your family first. I can imagine that he leaves the sport with a relieved feeling.

Ark

Lewis has already paid respect to Rosberg on social media. Don't look to editorialised, shit-piece articles from sub-par publications.

I absolutely think Mercedes should get Alonso in for the last two/three years of his career. He'd be much more exciting for the brand than anyone else. Him or Vettel, at least.

But it's Mercedes, and its Toto, so expect something shit, stale, and expected.

Fox Mulder

Lewis has already paid respect to Rosberg on social media. Don't look to editorialised, shit-piece articles from sub-par publications.

I absolutely think Mercedes should get Alonso in for the last two/three years of his career. He'd be much more exciting for the brand than anyone else. Him or Vettel, at least.

But it's Mercedes, and its Toto, so expect something shit, stale, and expected.

Mercedes has made an effort to put their young drivers on the grid. They'll have to promote Wehrlein instead of going off and paying out the ass to get Alonso or Vettel out of a contract.

Fox Mulder

Thing is. Wehrlein just doesn't seem ready for a top drive.

He has experience in the car and will be a safe #2 to Lewis in a season where we expect them to have real competition from at least Redbull. A one year deal lets them try him out and both Vettel and Alonso are open for 2018.

They'll go with wehrlein.

Hasney

He has experience in the car and will be a safe #2 to Lewis in a season where we expect them to have real competition from at least Redbull. A one year deal lets them try him out and both Vettel and Alonso are open for 2018.

Feels like such a risk though if they can get a safe pair of hands. If the cars are closer and WEH doesn't work out, it could cost them the constructors.

Ark

Thinking about it objectively, I think Bottas to Merc and Wherlain to Williams makes the most sense to me.

Just better hope the teams are all close. I dont want Hamilton to win every race, we need the three-greats, the old guard, to fight it out one last time.

Razgreez

I can't seem to find any update confirming Brazil. It's on the calendar but provisionally so. Latest update I've seen was released on the 1st with Brazil still tentative

Feels like such a risk though if they can get a safe pair of hands. If the cars are closer and WEH doesn't work out, it could cost them the constructors.

How is Wehrlein not a "safe pair of hands" though? He's proven this season that he's able to be consistent and a good qualifier. If anything he should at least be a decent "no. 2".

Zeknurn

Thinking about it objectively, I think Bottas to Merc and Wherlain to Williams makes the most sense to me.

Just better hope the teams are all close. I dont want Hamilton to win every race, we need the three-greats, the old guard, to fight it out one last time.

Bottas does seem like the easiest and most safe pickup. I don't think the last season has done him any favours though.

Mastah

I truly believe Dan & Max made the difference in 2016 and that's why they beat Ferrari. If they are in the same situation next year, but with Mercedes, Hamilton and Wehrlein as their opponents, it'll be more of the same. Pascal simply isn't up to the task.

Bottas does seem like the easiest and most safe pickup. I don't think the last season has done him any favours though.

It isn't his fault that Williams had carbage car this season. He trashed Massa (he outqualified his team mate most times of all drivers this season) and that is only takeaway from this season.

DBT85

I see it being Pascal or Valteri. I think Hamilton would veto Alonso, and being Toto a control freak, Alonso and Hamilton would be a meltdown recipe.

I'd love to see Sergio or Daniel there, tho.

Don't think Hamilton would veto anyone tbh, he's never seemed that fussed who he's up against and if he was ok with taking on Alonso as a kid I can't imagine he'd be too worried now. Alonso has a big deal with Mclaren though so getting him out would cost.

Vettel wants to be the #1 driver and he won't get that at Mercedes.

Just better hope the teams are all close. I don't want Hamilton to win every race, we need the three-greats, the old guard, to fight it out one last time.

I'd go with that. Bottas has shown he can race well and is fast. Plus it gets Pascal into a better car without having to rely on him for their own constructors points. I also think he'd be a better challenge for Lewis which the sport is going to need if they make a stonker again.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
What's in it for Williams in that Bottas-Wehrlein swap? Cheaper engines?

Wehrlein did drive the Mercedes as recently as earlier this week.

What's in it for Williams in that Bottas-Wehrlein swap? Cheaper engines?

Wehrlein did drive the Mercedes as recently as earlier this week.
Yeah, I can't see a reason for Williams to go with that plan. They need a proper seasoned no. 1 and I don't think Wehrlein counts. Bottas is a good fit at Williams even if he deserves a better ride; but then again lots of other drivers deserve a better ride.

Top Bottom