• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

mclem

wcAkrwq.png

gx1tYHQ.png

9FryB8P.png

ramparter

Banned
There really is three ways for Mercedes to proceed here:

-Spend huge and get Vettel or Alonso out of their contracts. I'd say this is unlikely

-Spend moderate and get a driver who would do a solid job for the team for not only next year but the next 2-3. Top guesses here are Bottas and Perez.

-Spend nothing and appoint Wehrlein.

For both the 2nd and 3rd scenario you have the upcoming '18 free agency of Alonso, Vettel, Ricciardo, not to mention Hamilton looming large. If they sign Bottas/Perez they can then decide which #1 driver they want. If they sign Wehrlein they can potentially sign 2 #1 drivers...

If I was a betting man I would put my money on Bottas for '17, and Vettel and Bottas for '18, but none of the scenarios are huge favourites over the others for me. Anything can happen.
Mercedes could be like, buy yourself out of your comtracts with your own money and come drive for us for free :p

NOKYARD

Question for any one that has been to the Montreal race or Montreal people. So my parents have bought me tickets to go to the race as a gift, the only issue seems to be a hotel. Downtown prices are obscenely expensive for the weekend and the somewhat reasonable price ones are 10-20 km from the track.

How easy would it be to get to the track from these far away hotels?

Try here
. It's a student res in the heart of downtown where they rent out rooms over the summer months. I just checked and there are rooms available for the race weekend but they will not last long.

DBT85

Lauda wants it sorted for Xmas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38199637

"I need a driver for the first test in February when the new car is ready."

He added: "We have to train him on the simulator and into the team, so we should have a decision before the end of the year."

Rosberg retired five days after beating British team-mate Lewis Hamilton to clinch his first world title.

Hamilton, a three-time world champion, has said he "doesn't care" who is picked as the German's replacement.

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 live, Lauda added: "Nico and Lewis were pushing each other. Lewis won two championships and Nico won one. Now we have to find a better man than Nico because we want to continue to win.

Toto talks about drivers

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127386/mercedes-reluctant-to-chase-vettel-or-alonso
"It's not my intention to interfere with Ferrari's internal issues," Wolff told Gazzetta Dello Sport.

"And I don't even know if Sebastian really has the intention to come to us.

"It's the same thing [with Alonso]: what would Ferrari and McLaren do without Vettel and Alonso in December?

"Or Williams without [Valtteri] Bottas? [That] option is the one I like the least."

RSP

Really curious who they end up with ...

I imagine a word champion could sign any driver they want. Money should not be an object for them.

Shaneus

Really curious who they end up with ...

I imagine a word champion could sign any driver they want. Money should not be an object for them.
Possibly, but aren't people predicting they won't be as dominant next year with all the spec changes?

Fox Mulder

More like hoping I think. They've got the money and the resources so push just like Red Bull do.

It would be pretty shocking if they're still as dominant over the rest of the grid under the new specs, but they absolutely have a great aero package.

The hope is at least Redbull is right there with them.

Shaneus

If RIC goes to Merc. I feel that HAM will ruin his personality. It seems like a toxic environment unless Lewis is winning.
He won't. I think he knows he has a better chance at RBR of winning something than in the same team as Hamilton.

Plus I'd like to think that RBR came out of the Vettel/Webber thing with a bit more fondness for Aussies, at least enough to push him to a WDC.

Fox Mulder

He won't. I think he knows he has a better chance at RBR of winning something than in the same team as Hamilton.

Plus I'd like to think that RBR came out of the Vettel/Webber thing with a bit more fondness for Aussies, at least enough to push him to a WDC.

Well Mercedes has kept their equal driver stance despite some tense seasons. Redbull will be Max's team soon, no doubt.

John_B

The top teams will fight hard against releasing their top drivers. It's a huge loss for them and a huge gain for Mercedes. So what is going to happen? Legally can Mercedes force a buyout on these driver contracts?

DBT85

The top teams will fight hard against releasing their top drivers. It's a huge loss for them and a huge gain for Mercedes. So what is going to happen? Legally can Mercedes force a buyout on these driver contracts?

Driver can leave any time they like so long as any buyout is paid I think. The teams won't care who pays it, just that it's paid.

Hasney

From AMuS reporter Tobi Grüner's Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/tgruener/

Niki Lauda just revealed Toto Wolff took him to the restroom at Stuttgart airport to tell him about Rosbergs decision.
Wolff joking about drivers asking for the free cockpit: "The only drivers who haven't called yet are Kvyat & Kimi."
Wolff: "All other drivers have called - including Maldonado. And even some drivers under contract. They all want to drive Mercedes."
Wolff: "We have our juniors. But there are other more experienced options. We will look at their contracts & then take a decision."
Wolff was just asked, if some more drivers called in the last 30 mins. "Yes, one driver has called." Who was it? "Vitaly Petrov!"

Love Kimi giving no fucks still

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I wish Toto had a documentary team following him, I'd pay real money to watch & hear all those drivers beg for a contract.

Razgreez

I do hope Mercedes are smart enough to put Wehrlein in the seat on a race by race basis. It affords them the flexibility to test him out while leaving options open should he not meet the required performance level - though I have little doubt he wouldn't.

Beyond that I distinctly remember the Hamilton situation where he was ready for the McLaren seat a year, maybe even 2, before he was given it simply due to McLaren being far too conservative.

Shaneus

From AMuS reporter Tobi Grüner's Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/tgruener/

Love Kimi giving no fucks still
No shit, Petrov! I still think he was an alright driver. Just imagine if, say, SuperKK got a drive in it. Or even Button.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised that if they don't go for an up-and-comer, Button could be a possibility, if only for stability and on a yearly contract.

Aiii

So not worth it
Since they can't get Max, maybe they can go for Robin Frijns instead. It's still a crime he never got a shot.

He really needs to cool it on the shoey *looks at avatar*

It would be pretty shocking if they're still as dominant over the rest of the grid under the new specs, but they absolutely have a great aero package.

The hope is at least Redbull is right there with them.
Yeah. Red Bull will do wonders with the aero, as always. But Renault's engines have been coming into their own this year. IIRC they had a bunch of development tokens left over this year, so they probably had plenty of room for improvement.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
http://www.lequipe.fr/Formule-1/Act...rand-prix-de-france-confirme-pour-2018/756695 (french source)

TL;DR : french authorities officially confirmed the return of a GP at Paul Ricard in 2018. The first race will be set in the summer of 2018, and the deal is for five years.

Prepare for seizure with all dem blue paint !

On a related note, here is all of Circuit Paul Ricard's possible layouts.

http://www.racingcircuits.info/assets/images/maps/Europe/France/Paul%20Ricard/Paul%20Ricard%20Track%20Layouts.pdf

Any bets on which one they'll race on?

Aiii

So not worth it
Just realized I'll be in Japan during the season opener, it's been years since I couldn't watch a GP live.

RSP

Not sure if this is actually new, but the Dutch news broadcasting agency reports that Vettel and Verstappen are out of the question for Mercedes because Toto Wolff has reported that they will "respect the existing contracts" of Formula 1 drivers.

In regards to Wehrlein he says: "If I were to make a wish for Christmas, I would have put Pascal in a mid-tier team for another year or two, but it looks like that wish won't come true, so that means we need to compromise. Maybe we should take a courageous decision just like Nico did."

Original text: Ook de Duitser Pascal Wehrlein wordt genoemd. "Als ik een verlanglijstje voor de kerst had mogen maken, dan zou ik Pascal nog één of twee jaar bij een team uit de middenmoot willen stallen," zei Wolff. "Maar dat verlanglijstje kan ik dit jaar niet maken. Daarom moeten we een goed compromis zien te vinden. Misschien moeten we wel net als Nico een moedige beslissing nemen.''

So things are looking up for Wehrlein?

Top Bottom