• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Leonsito

Next year will be tight in the front ( I hope ) so Mercedes needs a clear #1 and #2 driver imo, getting Vettel, Alonso or one of the RBR drivers would be a mistake.

DBT85

What's in it for Williams in that Bottas-Wehrlein swap? Cheaper engines?

Wehrlein did drive the Mercedes as recently as earlier this week.

Probably cheaper engines, though getting Bottas out of his contract would be much cheaper than Alonso for example. Williams won't have much of a choice and tbh I can't see them standing in Bottas way if he gets the offer. It would then be up to them if they wanted to take on Pascal.

Next year will be tight in the front ( I hope ) so Mercedes needs a clear #1 and #2 driver imo, getting Vettel, Alonso or one of the RBR drivers would be a mistake.

They've not had a 1&2 sincee coming back to the sport, I've little reason to think they'd be worried about starting now, and all Lewis wants is equality. There are great reasons not to put either Alonso or Vettel in that have nothing to do with wanting a #2 driver. Money being primary.

BELIEVE
CysgA4nWQAEhRxe.jpg:large

Razgreez

""This is the first time he has won in 18 years, hence why it was not a surprise that he decided to stop."

Jesus fucking Christ, Hamilton is such a sore loser, it's disgraceful. Have some class, man. His smug passive-aggresiveness is just beyond unprofessional, it's childish. I'm not a Rosberg fan, nor am I a Hamilton hater, but this is just an awful, awful display sportsmanship.

As a previous poster pointed out if you read the entire article you understand the line you quoted is in no way malicious. It's actually a testament to the wisdom of Rosberg's decision. As the adage goes; winners know when to quit

Chuck

Still without luck
""This is the first time he has won in 18 years, hence why it was not a surprise that he decided to stop."

Jesus fucking Christ, Hamilton is such a sore loser, it's disgraceful. Have some class, man. His smug passive-aggresiveness is just beyond unprofessional, it's childish. I'm not a Rosberg fan, nor am I a Hamilton hater, but this is just an awful, awful display sportsmanship.

How Hamilton has any fucking fans will be a mystery to me forever, unless they just root for whoever wins a lot, in which case they're a shit fan.

"It's going to be very very strange, and it will be sad not to have him in the team next year.

"The sport will miss him, and I wish him all the best."
Taken from the very same story. I don't think Hamilton is that salty about losing.

Dude, watch the Sky interview post race and the prick wouldn't even admit that Nico was the world champion.
God damn that's massive salt. I pretty much just haven't been keeping up with a lot of race news and interviews since I have no cable to watch the races live currently. So every tidbit really isn't my priority.

Chuck

Still without luck
God damn that's massive salt. I pretty much just haven't been keeping up with a lot of race news and interviews since I have no cable to watch the races live currently. So every tidbit really isn't my priority.

It's not just that one interview, he's done everything in his power to try and put an asterix next to Nico's title for weeks leading up to it. Press conferences, interviews, twitter, he is anything but a classy person.

It's not just that one interview, he's done everything in his power to try and put an asterix next to Nico's title for weeks leading up to it. Press conferences, interviews, twitter, he is anything but a classy person.
I have noticed he makes damn sure to mention his reliability problems, especially leading up to I think Brazil and Abu Dhabi. Hamilton shouldn't have waited until the last minute to get his starts in order.

As a previous poster pointed out if you read the entire article you understand the line you quoted is in no way malicious. It's actually a testament to the wisdom of Rosberg's decision. As the adage goes; winners know when to quit

Bullshit. It's a dig at Rosberg, end of.

People have been making a big thing out of the fact they've always raced together, ever since they were kids in karting. That was Hamilton way of implying it's the first time ever he's beaten him at something.

As someone else mentioned, it's a passive agressive comment from a smug twat.

hamchan

Yep, pretty much what I expected from Hamilton. Love the man when he's inside of his car, despise him when he's outside it.

SilentRob

Taken from the very same story. I don't think Hamilton is that salty about losing.

Oh come on. Yes, he says the lines he is contractually obligated to, of how the sport will miss him and how he totally wishes him the best but then tries to get some dig in somewhere. There is absolutely no way to interpret this in a positive light. "I mean, this is the only time he won against me in 18 years, so no, not surprised he is leaving now." It blows my mind that some of you are trying to spin this into a positive o_O

On the night of the win he said he doesn't consider Rosberg a World Champion, just because he is one. It's very clear how much Hamilton hates this and that he is absolutely not accepting his loss. It's the ridiculous behaviour of a prepubescent child who just got beat in his favorite game, not one of a three-times world champion beaten by his team mate. Doesn't matter if you like him or not or if you consider him the best racer or not: It's bad sportsmanship.

Oh come on. Yes, he says the lines he is contractually obligated to, of how the sport will miss him and how he totally wishes him the best but then tries to get some dig in somewhere. There is absolutely no way to interpret this in a positive light. "I mean, this is the only time he won against me in 18 years, so no, not surprised he is leaving now." It blows my mind that some of you are trying to spin this into a positive o_O

On the night of the win he said he doesn't consider Rosberg a World Champion, just because he is one. It's very clear how much Hamilton hates this and that he is absolutely not accepting his loss. It's the ridiculous behaviour of a prepubescent child who just got beat in his favorite game, not one of a three-times world champion beaten by his team mate. Doesn't matter if you like him or not or if you consider him the best racer or not: It's bad sportsmanship.
Yeah I'll admit he could've been a little bit more gracious about it. Would be nice since the rivalry is done they can go back to the way they used to interact. I really didn't like how sour their friendship became.

Razgreez

All this thread, and many before it (and by extension life in general), goes to show is that sports fans know way more about the relationships between sports personalities than they do themselves.

I'd love to say it's just Lewis but the same was done to Vettel, Schumacher, Senna etc. When you're good and beat a fanatics choice they will find every reason to hate you and go out of their way to take everything you say or do in the worst possible light. Ironically they completely miss the fact that it shows far more about themselves than the person they're trying to discredit.

Right now all I want is for Pascal (first prize would be Ricciardo) to get the Mercedes seat and to prove that he is better than most think. Would he beat Lewis? I'd say unlikely but "I'm not a Hamilton hater"s would surely enjoy it haha.

SilentRob

All this thread, and many before it (and by extension life in general), goes to show is that sports fans know way more about the relationships between sports personalities than they do themselves.

I'd love to say it's just Lewis but the same was done to Vettel, Schumacher, Senna etc. When you're good and beat a fanatics choice they will find every reason to hate you and go out of their way to take everything you say or do in the worst possible light. Ironically they completely miss the fact that it shows far more about themselves than the person they're trying to discredit.

Right now all I want is for Pascal (first prize would be Ricciardo) to get the Mercedes seat and to prove that he is better than most think. Would he beat Lewis? I'd say unlikely but "I'm not a Hamilton hater"s would surely enjoy it haha.

It really is so much easier to chalk every single opinion in sports up to "Eh, he just doesn't like champions", "he's just a fan of his rival", "he is just a hater" than to actually engage in arguments.

How in the world am I generally hating Hamilton by calling out his very specific behaviour after the title win of his team mate? I have no horse in this. I'm not a Hamilton Fan. I'm not a Rosberg Fan. If you go through my post history you can see me take both the sides of Rosberg and Hamilton, depending on the discussion. I'm a Fan of the sport. I haven't been a big fan of a single driver ever since Schumacher left. At this point in my life I find it silly to pledge your allegiance to a single sportsman, trying to defend every single thing he does as if he is some kind of saint. Guess what: Hamilton has acted like an asshole quite often. Guess what again: Rosberg has also acted like an asshole quite often. However, in this case, it's Hamilton who continuously makes a point out of saying that Rosberg isn't really a worthy champion, was simply lucky, and that he should have won instead, while the other guy is just not engaging him and starts to cry everytime he speaks about hsi achievement. You can have all those feelings. But when you lose a championship as a sportsman you swallow these feelings down and you give your collegue his time in the spotlight without trying to passive-aggresively shitting on it time and time again, especially when he is your teammate, and especially when it wasn't even a season of big scandals. He isn't the first or the last person to suffer from technical difficulties and lose points because of them.

It's beyond silly to act like there are two ways to interpret "“If he is labelled the world champion, it doesn’t necessarily mean that is the way it is labelled in my heart.” and "This is the first time he has won in 18 years, hence why it was not a surprise that he decided to stop.". If you are seriously trying to argue that interpreting these statements in a negative way means that you are a "fanatic trying to find some reason to hate Hamilton and go out of your way to take everything Hamilton sasy or does in the worst possible light.", then wow, I don't know what to tell you man.

Razgreez

it's Hamilton who continuously makes a point out of saying that Rosberg isn't really a worthy champion, was simply lucky, and that he should have won instead

I'm not sure why you chose to respond to my comment as if I singled you out - guilty conscience perhaps.

Beyond that I'd love for you to show me a quote where anybody of significance, especially Hamilton, says Rosberg is not a worthy champion after having taken the title. You're literally making stuff up. What is said during the game and what happens after are two very different things.

These are the best drivers in the world and each and every one would be worthy champions

Leonsito

Nico PR team made a live video of the gala yesterday and they showed the FIA season revew video, it was amazing, I hope it gets put online soon.

xrnzaaas

It would be awesome if Lauda managed to convince Merc to hire Alonso or Vettel. But yeah, unless something unexpected happens (again ;)) they'll go with Wehrlein and focus on preparing him as best as they can.

Mastah

Tobi Grüner ‏@tgruener 57m57 minutes ago

Wolff joking about drivers asking for the free cockpit: "The only drivers who haven't called yet are Kvyat & Kimi.

Wolff: "All other drivers have called - including Maldonado. And even some drivers under contract. They all want to drive Mercedes."

Wolff: "We have our juniors. But there are other more experienced options. We will look at their contracts & then take a decision."

There really is three ways for Mercedes to proceed here:

-Spend huge and get Vettel or Alonso out of their contracts. I'd say this is unlikely

-Spend moderate and get a driver who would do a solid job for the team for not only next year but the next 2-3. Top guesses here are Bottas and Perez.

-Spend nothing and appoint Wehrlein.

For both the 2nd and 3rd scenario you have the upcoming '18 free agency of Alonso, Vettel, Ricciardo, not to mention Hamilton looming large. If they sign Bottas/Perez they can then decide which #1 driver they want. If they sign Wehrlein they can potentially sign 2 #1 drivers...

If I was a betting man I would put my money on Bottas for '17, and Vettel and Bottas for '18, but none of the scenarios are huge favourites over the others for me. Anything can happen.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'd say Wehrlein or Ocon for a year is the most sensible choice. Doesn't cost them much, gives them space to breathe, and gives them a year of less drama.

Zeknurn

I guess no one has mentioned the current Formula E champion Buemi? Since he will miss out on two Formula E races I could see him dropping it for another shot at F1.

We should get a social media movement going for Maldonado to get the seat though.

nekkid

I guess no one has mentioned the current Formula E champion Buemi? Since he will miss out on two Formula E races I could see him dropping it for another shot at F1.

We should get a social media movement going for Maldonado to get the seat though.

I'll start a UK Government petition. Seems to be the flavour of the month.

Joba62x

Neo Member
Niki Lauda says that "practically half" of the Formula 1 grid has been in touch with Mercedes to offer themselves as a replacement for retiring world champion Nico Rosberg.

And he said no, because he's taking the seat!!

Hamilton/Lauda 2017

nekkid

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I realised today that around the same time as Rosberg told Mercedes he was leaving, Hamilton suddenly became "ill" during the tyre test and was replaced by Wehrlein.

Ark

If people that clearly can't read are going to keep posting that fucking "it's no surprise he retired" quote, then we should just shut down the thread for the next four months.

torontoml

Question for any one that has been to the Montreal race or Montreal people. So my parents have bought me tickets to go to the race as a gift, the only issue seems to be a hotel. Downtown prices are obscenely expensive for the weekend and the somewhat reasonable price ones are 10-20 km from the track.

How easy would it be to get to the track from these far away hotels?

DBT85

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I realised today that around the same time as Rosberg told Mercedes he was leaving, Hamilton suddenly became "ill" during the tyre test and was replaced by Wehrlein.

Yep, they must have told Hamilton over the radio while he was already driving in the test and then he got ill.

nekkid

Yep, they must have told Hamilton over the radio while he was already driving in the test and then he got ill.

My point was more that it seems more than coincidental that they felt Wehrlein needed some track time.

nekkid

Seems a might reactionary bearing in mind we don't actually know when on Tuesday Nico told Toto.

I'm just pointing out that it would be a remarkable coincidence given the timing and nature of events.

DBT85

Mercedes could go savage and sign Ricciardo. That would be the strongest possible driver pairing.

Would love to see it, but as I can see it Lewis, Danny and Max have got to be the only top drivers that are quite happy where they are going in to next season. The only teams you'd be willing to put money on being good next year are Mercedes and Red Bull. Ferrari might, Mclaren might, hell even Renault might.

Merc won't want to pay Ferrari to get Vettel out of his contract, but you can be sure his agent has been in touch. Mercedes could well say "you can come and we'll pay well, but you need to accept equal status and you need to pay some/all of your termination with Ferrari".

They'll have plenty of choices for the seat so if it was to be Alonso or Vettel they might have to help out with the termination to get at the car.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I hope they can get Alonso. That would be one epic constellation.

I also don't want Vettel to give up so quickly on Ferrari or vice versa.

But it'll probably be Bottas or Wehrlein.

Top Bottom