• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

DBT85

I do hope Mercedes are smart enough to put Wehrlein in the seat on a race by race basis. It affords them the flexibility to test him out while leaving options open should he not meet the required performance level - though I have little doubt he wouldn't.

Beyond that I distinctly remember the Hamilton situation where he was ready for the McLaren seat a year, maybe even 2, before he was given it simply due to McLaren being far too conservative.

Can't see it happening. They will want to have made a final choice by the start of the year, its no good trying to bring someone in after 4 races if he's not up to scratch as it'll be even hardy to pry someone away. Plus they'll not know the car at all.

Get it done fast so they can sit in the simulator for 6 weeks.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
At Mercedes HQ
Cy-yVwWXgAQFnOI.jpg

Hasney

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38219470

MotoGP racer Valentino Rossi has surprisingly put his name forward to replace Nico Rosberg at Mercedes, saying "how could I say no?"

Pascal Wehrlein says he does not want to annoy Mercedes by pestering the Formula 1 team about Rosberg's vacant 2017 seat, but insists he is ready to step up.

legbone

Don't know if it's old or not, but i just got an update on my phone that mercedes is considering Nando for the seat. Maybe just a bargaining move, but if Nando gets the seat it will be a reason for me to root for the Mercs (even though it will pain me).

Aiii

So not worth it
How could you not consider Alonso? You know he is unhappy. You know he is a great driver.

He's quite honestly one of the few choices they have that would be willing to move out of his ongoing contract and is good enough to become WDC at the moment.

As much as I respect Nico for his choice, he really left them in a bind.

Ark

How could you not consider Alonso? You know he is unhappy. You know he is a great driver.

He's quite honestly one of the few choices they have that would be willing to move out of his ongoing contract and is good enough to become WDC at the moment.

As much as I respect Nico for his choice, he really left them in a bind.

McLaren, and Honda, aren't likely to give him up easily, though I'm sure they'd find a way.

If Alonso signs with Mercedes next year I will be so fucking hyped.

legbone

Alonso signs for merc and button comes back to the team he still has a contract with. Easy.

sounds good to me. then mclaren is actually competitive, stoffel vandoorne is in the running for wdc champ, but somehow kimi wins the championship. then i woke up and realized ferrari won't be able to hang with mercedes even if a trained monkey was in one of those mercs. they're just so dominant. it's almost boring. at least nico and louise gave us a fun shootout.

edit: and i'd love to see nando spank hamilton. ok, maybe dreaming again. but maybe not.

Button at a GSK event this evening said he won't be back driving next season 😢

HhfcdWhh.jpg

And that's the end of Alonso's 2017 Merc fantasy? no way McLaren are running The Stoff and some scrub next season.

Aiii

So not worth it
I am sure the first person Alonso calls after making a decision is Button and I am sure such a decision is made, signed and delivered in a few days.

Wouldn't hamilton have some sort of Veto thingamabob in his contract ala Prost when he joined Williams in 93 to stop someone like Alonso getting signed whilst he has a standing contract with mercedes? Maybe he'll hire lawyers to prevent Alonso from joining?

DBT85

Wouldn't hamilton have some sort of Veto thingamabob in his contract ala Prost when he joined Williams in 93 to stop someone like Alonso getting signed whilst he has a standing contract with mercedes? Maybe he'll hire lawyers to prevent Alonso from joining?

You only have that if you want it in the first place and if the team will give you that privilege, I believe Ferrari did for some reason for Vettel. I've never seen anything from Lewis that suggests he gives a shit who's in the other car, other than he wants to beat them. He's already said he doesn't care who Mercedes sign so long as they have the right attributes to drive the team and himself on. I think he also said he'll give them an opinion if they ask for it but otherwise it's up to Toto and Niki.

He showed he could handle Alonso as a newcomer to the sport, I doubt he'll be worried now some 10 years and 3 titles later. Plus it would be great for the sport. Has there been a stronger lineup?

Mastah

Danny on 2017:

Is it going to be very different?

DR: I think so. If it’s similar to the speeds I was hitting while testing in 2009-2010 then it’s a significant step up. To cut a long story short, if we retain the leanness we have now with our body weight, we might struggle physically. I think everyone will be putting on a few kilos to cope with the forces. To put numbers on it. If next year is 100 per cent of our physical strength, then this year we’ve been at 75 per cent.

http://www.redbullracing.com/article/daniels-debrief

Mastah

True F1 legend Esteban Tuero retires from racing:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/former-minardi-f1-driver-tuero-retires-from-racing-857629/

Fun facts: He's only 1 year older than Kimi, but he has never raced against any of 2016 drivers (neither 2015, 2014 or 2013 grids in fact, Schumacher in 2012 is the last active driver to have that honor). But he was racing on the same track with Kevin's and Max's fathers and witnessed Jan being replaced by Jos the Boss :)

Why is he a legend? Well, he's the youngest driver who retired from F1 at the age of 20 and his absolutely stupid mistake, when he accidentally pressed the throttle rather than the brakes and rammed Takagi's Tyrrell, left debris on the track, which punctured Schumacher's tyre and granted Mika his first title:

https://youtu.be/-3YTzv6QUrk?t=1h8m14s

CDLlz3GW4AAeOIz.jpg

DD

True F1 legend Esteban Tuero retires from racing:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/former-minardi-f1-driver-tuero-retires-from-racing-857629/

Fun facts: He's only 1 year older than Kimi, but he has never raced against any of 2016 drivers (neither 2015, 2014 or 2013 grids in fact, Schumacher in 2012 is the last active driver to have that honor). But he was racing on the same track with Kevin's and Max's fathers and witnessed Jan being replaced by Jos the Boss :)

Why is he a legend? Well, he's the youngest driver who retired from F1 at the age of 20 and his absolutely stupid mistake, when he accidentally pressed the throttle rather than the brakes and rammed Takagi's Tyrrell, left debris on the track, which punctured Schumacher's tyre and granted Mika his first title:

https://youtu.be/-3YTzv6QUrk?t=1h8m14s

CDLlz3GW4AAeOIz.jpg
Sad to think that there's no Argentine F1 drivers in a long, long time. Brazil will probably be out in 2017 too.

Shaneus

Danny on 2017:
This was great:
2016 in quick fire:

Favourite race?
I have to say Malaysia – though it was bloody hot! That last ten laps sucked. Singapore was good too. Chasing Rosberg at the end was a lot of fun.
Most proud of?
My improvements. Still learning!
One thing you learnt about Max?
That he’s pretty quick for a guy just starting puberty. Also he has better taste in music than Dany.
2017, good for?
My awesome beach body in the mirror. Also, fans watching from high-speed corners will be impressed with what the new cars can do.

We need more like DR in the field.

Top Bottom