• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Zaru

Living up to that name will never not be hard.
Ralf is still a 10-year contender, 6 times race winner and filthy rich after that Toyota deal. But not being Michael just makes people forget he existed.

Aiii

So not worth it
Not being a very remarkable driver that has only six wins in ten years of competing, more like.

Unless you are hearing many people still discussing the accomplishments of Johnny Herbert, there is not much to your complaint that the reason you do not hear people talk about Ralf is because of Michael.

RSP

If he does well enough, they can just keep him anyway.
If he gets destroyed (not an impossibility next to someone like Hamilton), I don't know how many options he'll have left on the grid. Though I guess Haas and Renault won't be too picky for 2018.

Or he can just get his seat at Williams back. I guess there is a chance of Hamilton leaving F1 if he doesn't secure another title in 2017. that way you'll have a BOT / VET combination at Mercedes. Seb does get along well with the Fins.

Zaru

Or he can just get his seat at Williams back.

I'm puzzled why I completely forgot about this obvious possibility, since Massa will be gone in a year.
Though I do wonder how a team feels about a driver that left for greener pastures coming back with his head down.

Mastah

If a driver is good, they don't care that much. See Hulkenberg: 2011-12 Force India -> 2013 Sauber -> 2014-16 Force India.

Zeknurn

Williams doesn't have the car or budget to be picky when choosing drivers. They will get the best driver available they can afford.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It's Christmas. No one is in the office.

Mercedes also already mentioned that they won't reveal who's taking the seat until 2017.

Some of the people I know who work in F1 were at work again on Boxing Day.

Zeknurn

https://www.ft.com/content/aa35adfc-cd38-11e6-864f-20dcb35cede2

Liberty Media, the new owner of Formula One, plans to overhaul the elite motorsport, including selling race naming rights and staging ancillary events around its 21 Grand Prix with the aim of making each one “the equivalent of the Super Bowl”.

Liberty intends to turn each international Grand Prix into a week of events to engage spectators and attract new sponsors, according to a senior executive involved with Formula One. It is also exploring expanding the contest’s US presence with the launch of new Grand Prix in big media markets. New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Miami are under consideration.

Liberty plans to do more to promote the rivalries between teams and drivers, building a marketing department and new digital platforms. “There’s no marketing, no research, no data, no digital platforms,” the F1 executive said. “This sport has unique global content and hasn’t done enough to take advantage of that. We need to build the rivalries and enable people to understand the technology that goes into the sport.”

After completing the purchase, Liberty believes Formula One has considerable potential, the executive said. “There’s probably no sport more associated with technology and yet we don’t have a technology sponsor.” He added that there were untapped opportunities in merchandising as well as virtual reality, which would bring the F1 experience closer to fans.

Exciting times ahead.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
They are obviously right about the untapped potential of F1. But artificial rivalries could also become tabloid-level nonsense. I hope they do not overdo it.

Zeknurn

They are obviously right about the untapped potential of F1. But artificial rivalries could also become tabloid-level nonsense. I hope they do not overdo it.

You should prepare yourself because we American sport now.

As long as we don't get American style ad breaks on the official streaming platform, I'm fine with whatever dumb shit they try.

xrnzaaas

I hope they'll tone down the penalty system a bit. Obviously it shouldn't affect the safety of the drivers, but right now most of them are scared to be more aggressive on the track.

Jezbollah

There is a middle ground. I don't want to see F1 bastardised into some American commercial abomination, but I do think they need to do changes to increase it's appeal.

f0rk

The media side should be good, but I am concerned they are going to try and mess with the race format too much with sprint races etc. Also the likelihood of good tracks being developed out of the locations they mention seems low.

Aiii

So not worth it
Saving this post for later.

Go right ahead, contrary to most people, I do not instantly hate all change while complaining about how the sport has been shit for years.

Like, just above here, someone complains about the possibility of a sprint race, which would be infinitely more entertaining than the snore fest that is qualifying in its current format.

F1 is stale, archaic, too expensive and it shows in the dwindling viewership numbers. It needs to be shaken up thoroughly and if it takes Liberty Media to do it, go right ahead. Better do it now than wait until Bernie is dead and there's a power vacuum.

Button

Banned
Let me buy a season pass for $100 that lets me stream every session and press conference in 4k and that's enough. They are already getting into social media which is very important, and the content is actually good. Any extra activities they could add to the weekend that I would like to watch are welcome, but I don't know what those could be. Expanding the events to be more than 3 days sounds bad. No way they could get people like Kimi to participate in an artificial sprint race for fun on a Wednesday.

Jezbollah

Personally, I think the current format of F1 (and GP2 and GP3) is fine. Sure, they can do a better job with the coverage, but let's not kid ourselves - the issue is the racing (or lack of). Putting in sprint races and main races for F1 is just artificially attempting to level the playing field by shortening races. You may as well just reverse the grids with the differences between the fastest and slowest cars being large, or mandate more pitstops to force drivers to chew up their tyres..

Do a job at levelling the technical competitiveness between the participants and you will have a worthwhile product - as we have seen recently with MotoGP (and it's 9 different winners in 2016).

DieH@rd

Banned
Let me buy a season pass for $100 that lets me stream every session and press conference in 4k and that's enough.

That would be absolutely killer price. Heck, I would gladly pay that much for 480p feed.

But they will need to attract viewers initially, so I expect agressive pricing for their new online offerings.

Zaru

They need to run a twofold strategy.

1) Provide a way to promote the sport to new audiences. Locking the sport behind PayTV is the opposite of that.

2) Provide a way to gain reliable access to streams and other goodies for existing fans who are willing to go further. There could be different tiers, e.g.

- Base plan that lets you livestream every session/press conference with the tv feed
- Advanced plan that lets you rewatch anything of the current season, plus lets you switch onboard cams and all that stuff that would otherwise be left to tv directors
- Deluxe plan that provides access, at any time, to a vast set of historic seasons/races, documentaries, etc.

Of course, this goes in opposition to all the national licensing, so I'm not sure how they could handle it. And the question of who provides commentary to the races is another issue.

Button

Banned
That would be absolutely killer price. Heck, I would gladly pay that much for 480p feed.

But they will need to attract viewers initially, so I expect agressive pricing for their new online offerings.

I wonder what the price should be for that kind of service? I'd pay $200 to be honest. I think the MotoGP Videopass is ~$100 a year.

The commentary would be a problem though, could they get it from Sky?

Also, does Liberty Media now own the rights for old F1 footage? Imagine a streaming service with the old seasons!

Lach

I wonder what the price should be for that kind of service? I'd pay $200 to be honest. I think the MotoGP Videopass is ~$100 a year.

The commentary would be a problem though, could they get it from Sky?

Also, does Liberty Media now own the rights for old F1 footage? Imagine a streaming service with the old seasons!

I think the Channel 4 (previously BBC) commentary by Ben Edwards and David Coulthard is the "default commentary" that's available and used by quite a few stations in countries that don't produce their own commentary. That's why they comment live on races that are not live on Channel 4. I'm sure they could use that one.

I would definitely pay $200 a year for the coverage. That's $10 per race weekend.

Aiii

So not worth it
The Sky commentary is the default commentary they use for Formula1.com and YouTube, so I would assume that that would be the feed they would use for a streaming service.

But in the end it doesn't really matter, as long as they get the better English speaking people to produce a pre- and post-show on that level, I'm good with whoever.

Normal streaming services cost anywhere between 7USD to 15USD a month, so that's what I'll expect to have to pay for something like this. Just give me something like the WWE Network, and I'm good.

chadskin

I would definitely pay $200 a year for the coverage. That's $10 per race weekend.

Think that'd be a bit much, at least initially.

The NFL GamePass is priced at €200 for a year and offers 256 regular season games, the 10 play-off games (all at ~3 hours each; live and on-demand; in up to 1080p and 60fps), the Super Bowl, the Red Zone channel on Sundays, a 24/7 NFL Network channel, an archive of Super Bowl games going back 50-60 years as well as all games of the last few years, a number of football-related TV series, including the HBO-made Hard Knocks and more.

Hard for F1 to match that right out of the gate (if ever), and I think that should be reflected in the pricing.

Start at €100 and give me live, ad-free coverage of the race weekends (F1, GP2, GP3 et al.), Sky UK commentary and 1080p/60fps quality. They can always raise the price later as they add more content and features.

DieH@rd

Banned
Even if they offer affordable online service, I strongly believe my country [Serbia] will be region blocked. :-/

Most likely I will have to continue watching F1 via acestream/shitty 500kbps web streams. :-/

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
New LEGO Speed Champions Mercedes set got the colors wrong (though to be fair they would have had to create a new color to add to their palette).

31837807402_68d4ba7f0f_o.jpg

(I guess they also couldn't get Hamilton's and Rosberg's likeness as they're going with the generic yellow heads).

Fox Mulder

I love the Lego speed champions line. Building the Audi and Porsche le mans cars were fun.

The wrong Merc colors is a bit lazy really when it'll be like a $80 set.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Even if they offer affordable online service, I strongly believe my country [Serbia] will be region blocked. :-/

Most likely I will have to continue watching F1 via acestream/shitty 500kbps web streams. :-/

It will be like that that normal streaming services would end somewhere on southern Austria border, who gives a damn for peasants on the south...

mclem

Haven't watched it yet, but Rosberg was on last night's Question of Sport, which is a bit of a coup to grab him so close to securing the championship.

nny

New LEGO Speed Champions Mercedes set got the colors wrong (though to be fair they would have had to create a new color to add to their palette).

(I guess they also couldn't get Hamilton's and Rosberg's likeness as they're going with the generic yellow heads).

Ferrari getting a new wind tunnel for 2017:

75882-1.jpg

Top Bottom