• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

I'm not so sure about that. I mean, I had this feeling until last year, when Toro Rosso had two rookies (although two VERY good rookies).

I mean, the regs will change a lot next season, so most of the things will be new for everyone anyway. See Lucas di Grassi, as mentioned by Mark Webber yesterday. He's fast and very strong on the technical side of things, really intelligent and not prone to mistakes, and he's a few years younger than Massa, so I don't see how di Grassi could be a worse option than Massa. But there is, of course, the human side of things. People at Ferrari and Williams seems to really like him, so...

Big changes in regulations actually increases the value of driver continuity. That's why Massa is th emost suitable replacement for Bottas if he moves to Mercedes.

DBT85

Williams should ask for insane money from Merc for Botas.

They have, but there also comes a point where you;re being a bit of a dick standing in a drivers way of the best seat he'll probably ever get. Williams aren't a team that behaves like that.

Aiii

So not worth it
But why? D:
Because driver feedback is extremely important to quickly find flaws in the car and resolve them during testing and the first half of the season. An experienced driver brings just that, experience and knowledge.

DD

Because driver feedback is extremely important to quickly find flaws in the car and resolve them during testing and the first half of the season. An experienced driver brings just that, experience and knowledge.

Yeah, sure, but why the continuity?

Aiii

So not worth it

Because someone that has worked with the members in your team will work mire efficiently and swiftly then a person that needs to get worked in.

Just the same as in any other job. The new guy will not work on the level of the experienced guy he replaced.

Fox Mulder

I feel the complete opposite.

This is the most boring way Rosberg leaving could have turned out.

Yep, another no personality robot. Pretty convenient that Toto is his manager.

If they at least went with Wehrlein we could hope for Vettel or Alonso in 2018. That isn't happening now.

Hasney

Yep, another no personality robot. Pretty convenient that Toto is his manager.

If they at least went with Wehrlein we could hope for Vettel or Alonso in 2018. That isn't happening now.

I'd rather their cars compete with the Mercs instead of just jump in one. It'll be more interesting of someone like Bottas can take the fight to Hamilton from within the team instead of a former world champion.

DD

Bottas seems like a block of ice. I wonder if Lewis will try to mess with him.
But, to be honest, Bottas only raced along with guys known for being really nice folks (Maldonado and Massa). Let's see how things will work for him with a diva like Lewis on the same garage.

Because someone that has worked with the members in your team will work mire efficiently and swiftly then a person that needs to get worked in.

Just the same as in any other job. The new guy will not work on the level of the experienced guy he replaced.

Yeah, makes sense. :3

f0rk

I think the most boring way would have been to bring in Wehrlein

At least that would have been a bit unpredictable. Mercedes can barely handle Hamilton's personality (which isn't even as bad as the haters make out), Toto would have a breakdown if he had to deal with a new kid as well.

I'm including Massa coming back as part of this most boring timeline, he's a fine driver that will do a good job but it's hard to care anymore.

DBT85

Massa knows the team, the engineers, the mechanics and the car from the last few years. He knows their procedures, their systems etc. With a rule change such as this putting him in the car is their best shot at getting the on track information they need without having to get a new driver up to speed.

I have a feeling that Bottas is the worst possible team mate for Hamilton to get.

And the best for us.

Weird, after Vettel or Alonso getting the seat, Bottas looks like a decent 3rd choice for me. He's fast, he can race, and for Merc he'll tow the line and probably not cry too loud.

I suppose it will be BOT GRO PER next year then.

The fact that Wolfe is his manager was a pretty strong hint they were always looking at him very seriously.

Jezbollah

Weird, after Vettel or Alonso getting the seat, Bottas looks like a decent 3rd choice for me. He's fast, he can race, and for Merc he'll tow the line and probably not cry too loud.

I think it was incredibly unlikely that either Vettel or Alonso would get the seat - they've got pretty watertight contracts, and Williams have their working relationship with Mercedes that the latter could use to benefit both with a deal.

Anyway. Danny Ric is a legend. He turned up to a children's hospital in Western Australia where a friend and his daughter are currently at. What a star. Cheered both of them up immensely.

BOT HAM GRO PER

There you go.

6a0120a735b61b970b0148c80439aa970c-800wi

RSP

They will probably sign BOT for just one year, to allow for German godking Vettel to take the seat in 2018.

Zeknurn

https://thejudge13.com/2016/12/22/new-f1-owners-no-friday-practice-two-races-per-weekend/
In an effort to make the sport more appealing to the American public, Liberty Media are proposing some very seismic changes to an F1 weekend.

A proposal under serious consideration is a big revamp of the race weekend as we know it along with re-aligning the calendar to be more US and Euro friendly.

A short ‘sprint’ race on Saturday along with drastically shortening the Sunday race will be a possible solution to capture the US public and entice them away from NASCAR. A total removal of Friday practice would also be considered in an effort to condense the whole show to two days.

The ideas mooted have surprisingly received a ‘warm’ reaction from some senior team figures, reported by UK newspaper iSport.

“It’s doable. There’s scope to do something different on race weekends. At the moment, Sunday is showtime and everything else just builds towards that.

From a team point of view, two race days make sense, though at the moment contracts with promoters make provision for cars on track over three days, so any change would have take account of that.”

Sure, why not.

Aegus

DieH@rd

Banned
They should maybe adopt the MotoGP program. Do the practice sessions on Sunday where top ~10-12 cars will qualify... for the Sunday's short main qually run and then everybody races few hours later.

Jezbollah

They should maybe adopt the MotoGP program. Do the practice sessions on Sunday where top ~10-12 cars will qualify... for the Sunday's short main qually run and then everybody races few hours later.

Err, no. MotoGP doesnt do that - its called sunday warmup :) F1 used to do it...

MotoGP does three normal timed practice sessions that dont matter for anything, and a fourth that separates the top 10 from the rest of the field. A first qualifying session, QP1, happens with the rest of the field with the top two going on to a final qualifying session of the fastest runners (QP2).

FP1, FP2 take place on Friday. FP3, FP4 and QP1 and QP2 take place Saturday. Warm up and single race takes place on Sunday. MotoGP cant do anything like a qualifying race on Sunday because they also have warm ups and races for Moto2 and Moto3 world championships.

Juicy Bob

Oh god.

Please don't change the 300km Grand Prix format. It's fucking fine as it is.

Just allow for better competition between teams by changing the financial structures and you'll instantly make racing better.

Chris R

As an American, let me break this terrible idea down point by point.

In an effort to make the sport more appealing to the American public, Liberty Media are proposing some very seismic changes to an F1 weekend.

Want to make the sport more appealing? Increase on track action.

A proposal under serious consideration is a big revamp of the race weekend as we know it along with re-aligning the calendar to be more US and Euro friendly.

They aren't running the European races 3 hours later (West Coast start time of 8 AM instead of 5 AM) so I'm not understanding how the rest of the changes are relevant?

A short ‘sprint’ race on Saturday along with drastically shortening the Sunday race will be a possible solution to capture the US public and entice them away from NASCAR. A total removal of Friday practice would also be considered in an effort to condense the whole show to two days.

There is some overlap between NASCAR and F1, but not much. I know this because I actively watch both series (and IndyCar and the NASCAR Truck Series and sometimes the Xfinity stuff if Kyle Busch isn't fucking it up for everyone else involved)

NASCAR fans don't care about short races. Races on average go on for over 3 hours. Having two short races instead of qualifying and one longer race won't make a difference. Instead they just need to focus on making the races more exciting. Doing that, while improving the quality of the broadcast in America as well as the options on how to consume the race will bring improved viewing figures.

Doing away with Friday's on track action would be fine by me though.

Joba62x

Neo Member
You get the American audience by getting some form of coverage on ESPN, not Fox, not NBC, no one even knows F1 exists here because ESPN doesn't talk about it on sports center, since I've been watching F1 in the middle of 2008 season twice I have seen F1 on an ESPN property, the pigeon back flipping out of the way of Nico's front wing in Monaco on sports center, and online there was a headline when Seb won for Toro Roso. Stories like Max's win or Nico's retirement would get tons of attention here but no one knows they exist, NASCAR used to be talked about, but ESPN doesn't have the rights to that anymore so it barley gets mentioned.

dubc35

*shakes fist at cloud*

ESPN used to be awesome, always showing sports or sports highlights. It's just talking heads now. It's also clearly apparent, as you mentioned, that they only promote what they or ABC/Disney have he rights to (see: NHL). But I also agree them getting the rights would boost awareness if nothing else.

As far as the race weekend, I think Friday could go as well. I would love a return of something like the Pro Car (?) challenge where the grid races a spec race. Put them in Miatas or Toyobarus or something. I'd just love the see the drivers race in spec cars even if it doesn't mean anything in terms of the WDC/WCC.

Zeknurn

I think the problem with introducing a spec race is that it will most likely become far more entertaining than the "real" race.

Fox Mulder

You get the American audience by getting some form of coverage on ESPN, not Fox, not NBC, no one even knows F1 exists here because ESPN doesn't talk about it on sports center, since I've been watching F1 in the middle of 2008 season twice I have seen F1 on an ESPN property, the pigeon back flipping out of the way of Nico's front wing in Monaco on sports center, and online there was a headline when Seb won for Toro Roso. Stories like Max's win or Nico's retirement would get tons of attention here but no one knows they exist, NASCAR used to be talked about, but ESPN doesn't have the rights to that anymore so it barley gets mentioned.

pretty much.

They don't need sprint races and shit. NBC Sports f1 coverage is low budget and fucking sucks. Will always be limited really as the races are like at 4AM live in the US.

Chris R

pretty much.

They don't need sprint races and shit. NBC Sports f1 coverage is low budget and fucking sucks. Will always be limited really as the races are like at 4AM live in the US.

It's better than not having every race available live.

Ideally, there is a $49.99 package or something that can be purchased next year that just gives you a stream of everything without commercials.

Zaru

They will probably sign BOT for just one year
If he does well enough, they can just keep him anyway.
If he gets destroyed (not an impossibility next to someone like Hamilton), I don't know how many options he'll have left on the grid. Though I guess Haas and Renault won't be too picky for 2018.

DBT85

It's not in Bottas best interests to sign a 1 year deal. They only tend to be that short at the back end of a career not right in the middle of it.

I suppose they could say sign it or we'll get Pascal but I think he knows they wont or they would have just done it already.

Top Bottom