• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Button

Banned
Looks like 4chan busted the Hennostream guy, so I definitely will have to find a way to stream F1 this year.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yep, because we're not allowed to have good things. I'm sure someone new will pop-up, they always do.

Zaru

I think I watched around half HennoStream, half local tv stream (legal).
Sometimes the latter doesn't show races live because of football or evening events, or the stream was unreliable, so having a high quality alternative available was kinda neat... shame, but inevitable.

Button

Banned
Can't say I feel bad for Henno. He benefitted a lot by streaming illegal content, and was stupid enough to not even try to hides his tracks. I would think jail time is not out of the question.

He must have gotten thousands of pounds to "improve the stream"!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like 4chan busted the Hennostream guy, so I definitely will have to find a way to stream F1 this year.

Yep, same with me. I do not know if ORF will air races this year and if they do not, then I do not have any alternative.

Shaneus

Sauber seems alright on this matter:
Pretty sure FOM is well aware what many people want... We'd love to post videos from the track, and they are well aware of that, too ;) Give it some time and let's see what Liberty comes up with...

Aiii

So not worth it
Unless Liberty has some magic contract dissolving money reserve for F1, it's gonna be years until they can give us a Sky-worthy broadcast on a streaming service. So while I would love to wait for Liberty to fix what should have existed years ago, I'm gonna have to find a way to watch a decent stream instead of the horrible low budget Dutch broadcast with the most mediocre and overrated announcer in the entire country, maybe the continent.

I mean, plenty of shitty unreliable ace streams, but Henno invested quite a bit of that donation money into cloud servers (that stuff really isn't cheap) and decent hardware. I doubt he was making bank on any of it. At best he was left with a couple of pints over the weekend.

I will throw a decent chunk of money towards Liberty as soon as they give me a good English language stream, but I expect we're looking at 2020 at the earliest before they can get their shit in order. :(

JDB

Banned
Unless Liberty has some magic contract dissolving money reserve for F1, it's gonna be years until they can give us a Sky-worthy broadcast on a streaming service. So while I would love to wait for Liberty to fix what should have existed years ago, I'm gonna have to find a way to watch a decent stream instead of the horrible low budget Dutch broadcast with the most mediocre and overrated announcer in the entire country, maybe the continent.

I mean, plenty of shitty unreliable ace streams, but Henno invested quite a bit of that donation money into cloud servers (that stuff really isn't cheap) and decent hardware. I doubt he was making bank on any of it. At best he was left with a couple of pints over the weekend.

I will throw a decent chunk of money towards Liberty as soon as they give me a good English language stream, but I expect we're looking at 2020 at the earliest before they can get their shit in order. :(
Can you even watch Ziggo sport online?

Zaru

Yep, same with me. I do not know if ORF will air races this year and if they do not, then I do not have any alternative.

Why are you unsure? To the best of my knowledge, they have a contract until the end of 2019. After that, they'll almost definitely drop F1, but the next 3 years should be fine.

I wonder what the price should be for that kind of service? I'd pay $200 to be honest. I think the MotoGP Videopass is ~$100 a year.

The commentary would be a problem though, could they get it from Sky?

Also, does Liberty Media now own the rights for old F1 footage? Imagine a streaming service with the old seasons!

$200 sounds steep, but $10/weekend sounds better. Make it $15/month and I'm sold.

Apparently he used his real contact info on his illegal streaming website. Not that it would have lasted anyway.

At least the Sauber F1 team reddit account is on point.

That Sauber F1 reddit account is slowly making me a fan of their team. To think someone's job is now at least in part perusing r/formula1 is interesting

Fox Mulder

I think I watched around half HennoStream, half local tv stream (legal).
Sometimes the latter doesn't show races live because of football or evening events, or the stream was unreliable, so having a high quality alternative available was kinda neat... shame, but inevitable.

Shame. I wached his streams of Sky in the US instead of watching the fuck awful NBC sports broadcast, which I have access to on cable.

I just don't like their low budget commercial filled shit.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Why are you unsure? To the best of my knowledge, they have a contract until the end of 2019. After that, they'll almost definitely drop F1, but the next 3 years should be fine.

I couldn't find any info online about their contract. I just hope that they will leave it on ORF1, because I can only get 1 and 2.

Zaru

I couldn't find any info online about their contract. I just hope that they will leave it on ORF1, because I can only get 1 and 2.
Where do you live? They livestream the races on their website, and that would include side channels I think

Odd, from the way Scarbs was talking in one of his recent videos I thought that this FRIC alternative was basically being killed off anyway.

I remember using some weird Chinese software to stream races (often in Chinese) a few years before iPlayer was a thing, my PC seemed to survive without any dodgy side effects

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm sure there will be plenty of acestreams, but none will even remotely touch the same quality as Henno.

Zaru

In a perfect world, Mercedes and Red Bull would now lose just enough of an advantage over Ferrari that next year becomes a 2010 style threeway battle.

But who am I kidding.

Mastah

Mark Hughes:

While it will almost certainly reduce the advantage of both cars over the rest, might it not also cost Red Bull more than Mercedes? Before this subject blew up, the jungle drums were suggesting that the aero gains made by Red Bull under the new regulations were truly spectacular. Was that through a more radical implementation of the hydraulic heave spring principle? In much the same way that the 2010 generation of twin diffuser cars were radically more extreme in the application of the principle than those of 2009?

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/has-ferrari-just-handed-mercedes-2017-f1-title

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Where do you live? They livestream the races on their website, and that would include side channels I think

I am from Slovenia. And I did not know about their website streaming, i just hope that they won't put any geolocks on it - most national TVs in this region do that on regular basis.

Zeknurn

Baseless speculation is fun, but completely pointless.

Off-season entertainment.

Speaking of which, Grosjean is probably the best driver to follow on twitter.
C1QvKe5XcAAJONF.jpg:large

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Then you just get a VPN.

Yeah, that is one of the options that I am considering

Also, reports emerged today that Mercedes will unveil their car for the first time on February 23 in Silverstone. Probably they reserved a track for the pre-season shakedown / filming day.

Top Bottom