• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razgreez

Let's neither over estimate nor under estimate testing times. If experience is anything to go by then testing times become more and more relevant as testing proceeds up until the end. However the ultimate pace is the least meaningful factor as teams, I suppose more mature teams, tend to drive towards a target time which is enough to push the car through its paces while still affording the driver the luxury of not being on the edge - call it 7/10ths perhaps. What is meaningful is the long run analysis per team per tyre. Again not in terms of ultimate pace but rather in terms of the consistency and drop off over the course of the stint.

Last year Mercedes seldom set the fastest times but there was some expert analysis of the times of each car over their long stints and Mercedes showed by far the most consistency. And that with over 20 race distances of testing. It was quite scary actually. Williams showed similar consistency and true to that their year started of well enough but floundered as development stalled - let's not discount the affect terrible strategic decisions had on their results. Redbull had issues so it was harder to gauge their true performance and ferrari was, well, ferrari.

I'm hoping we get similar analysis complete with laptime diagrams this time around as well

BigAl1992

I only just read up on today's testing now. McLaren........ to think this was a team that I envied yet respected as a kid who was a massive Schumacher fan back in the day, this is just painful to watch. It's not even funny anymore with what's going on with that Honda engine. As for the other teams, they're about where I expect them to be, but I'll want a full breakdown of all teams performance once testing is over.

dog-on-computer.jpg

Ferrari their head of programming at work to get the 3D modelling to work.

Zeknurn

15:19 The Ferrari looks extremely poised on track - very well balanced and stable. Just to the eye it's a clear step from last year.
Edd Straw
15:20 Kimi carrying great speed in Turn 9 without any problem - front and rear both giving the grip it seems.
Edd Straw

Oh my.

Leonsito

The Ferrari looks really good, not only because of times, but also due to stint times and behaviour of the car, better than last year, and they could have won a couple of the first races.

McLaren really needs to think about dumping Honda if they're complete shit for another year. It's embarrassing.

Redbull cried about Renault, but got results.
Anybody know if McLaren can get Mercedes engines again?
I only just read up on today's testing now. McLaren........ to think this was a team that I envied yet respected as a kid who was a massive Schumacher fan back in the day, this is just painful to watch. It's not even funny anymore with what's going on with that Honda engine. As for the other teams, they're about where I expect them to be, but I'll want a full breakdown of all teams performance once testing is over.
Bruce McLaren spinning in his grave is providing more consistent torque than the Honda engine.

ramparter

Banned
In terms of fastest testing laps ranking, they were 5, 3 and 4 positions behind their championship position in the last 3 years.

People always talk about Mercedes sandbagging but Red Bull is clearly the bigger offender here.

Sandbagging or just hiding their strongest components.

Kimi sets the fastest time of 1:20.960 on Softs. 0.023 faster than Lewis on Supers.
That's also 0.71 faster than the current race lap record (since they added the final chicane) that he set in 2008. It's a second off Barrichello's 1:19.954 set in 2009 qualifying. Considering this is just the second day, it looks like every lap record will be broken this year.

Xando

Bottas 20 lap stint on soft:

Out - 1:23.5 - 1:24.7 - 1:25.2 - 1:25.3 - 1:25.6 - 1:26.1 - 1:25.8 - 1:25.9 - 1:26.9 - 1:26.3 - 1:26.0 - 1:25.7 - 1:26.6 - 1:26.7 - 1:26.5 - 1:26.7 - 1:26.8 - 1:27.1 - 1:27.2

DBT85

That's also 0.71 faster than the current race lap record (since they added the final chicane) that he set in 2008. It's a second off Barrichello's 1:19.954 set in 2009 qualifying. Considering this is just the second day, it looks like every lap record will be broken this year.

Hmm. This morning Wiki said the record was by Webbah in 2010 of 19.995 in Quali.

Now it says that time and Ruby.

Ahh. It was set in Q2, that's why I couldn't see it!

h3ro

I hope we get to see Fernando in a competitive car one year before he calls it quits.

Doesn't seem like this year will be any different than last season. Of course, teams can turn it around but we haven't seen anything from this iteration of McLaren which would signify they are capable of doing so.

KdotIX

Anybody know if McLaren can get Mercedes engines again?

Bruce McLaren spinning in his grave is providing more consistent torque than the Honda engine.

Fucking brutal but funny.

I would imagine that they can, but Mercedes will probably charge them a shit ton of money for the engines. Was thinking earlier that would it be out of the realms of possibility of them going to another manufacturer like BMW, Audi, Porsche or Toyota?? They all have an agenda with hybrid engines; Save for the likes of BMW and Audi wanting to go fully electric by 2020 or something.

Zeknurn

16:34 I spent a lot of Bottas's race run watching from trackside, and it looked...messy. He had quite a bit of understeer early on when the car was heavy, and it was moving around on him in the corners. The contrast with watching Raikkonen in the Ferrari was huge, although of course Ferrari has been working on a different programme this afternoon. But the car was doing everything Raikkonen would want, and he can attack the apex really well.
Gary Anderson

Mercedes doomed. Ferrari WCC confirmed.

Aiii

So not worth it
RBR looking pretty consistent...

OUT; 1m22.200s PB; 1m23.974s; 1m23.883s; 1m23.720s; 1m24.381s; 1m23.903s; 1m24.175s; 1m24.313s; 1m24.386s; 1m23.772s; 1m24.003s; 1m24.255s; 1m29.380 IN.

Fucking brutal but funny.

I would imagine that they can, but Mercedes will probably charge them a shit ton of money for the engines. Was thinking earlier that would it be out of the realms of possibility of them going to another manufacturer like BMW, Audi, Porsche or Toyota?? They all have an agenda with hybrid engines; Save for the likes of BMW and Audi wanting to go fully electric by 2020 or something.
I could only imagine how hard Toto and Niki would lol...Hamilton as well I bet if McLaren came begging back for Mercedes power.

Zaru

Late McLaren-Mercedes was a mid-field team, circumstances aside.

It's hard to know how good their chassis is while Honda keeps sucking, but I doubt it's top tier.

ramparter

Banned

It's hard to know how good their chassis is while Honda keeps sucking, but I doubt it's top tier.
Lol what? That was just two years and had nothing to do with Merc, though it was obvious they weren't receiving the best support any more.

I'm still surprised they didn't just evolve the 2012 car around the 2013 rules. Just just threw the whole design out and rolled out some POS that couldn't make it around Monaco without porpoising all over the track.
Lol what? That was just two years and had nothing to do with Merc, though it was obvious they weren't receiving the best support any more.
I think once Hamilton came over they pretty much lost the works support, but the biggest thing was that they weren't even allowed to touch the engines in 2014. Mercedes wanted no transfer of data to Honda. Not knowing how to design a proper car is on McLaren though.

Zaru

That was my point? They weren't a top team anymore even with a Mercedes engine, so even the mightiest Honda beast isn't likely to evoke 80s success.

Dilly

Banned
They really should just ditch Honda after this season.

With an infinite amount of time and an infinite amount of engineers, they would probably still end up with shit.

Yagami_Sama

Things are not looking good for McLaren. It looked like the first season they started using Honda's engine.

Anyone know if they manage to do a few laps ?

NHale

RBR looking pretty consistent...

OUT; 1m22.200s PB; 1m23.974s; 1m23.883s; 1m23.720s; 1m24.381s; 1m23.903s; 1m24.175s; 1m24.313s; 1m24.386s; 1m23.772s; 1m24.003s; 1m24.255s; 1m29.380 IN.

If I was a betting men, I would bet on Danny Ricciardo or Max Verstappen to get the pole at Melbourne.

Yesterday after the day 1 disaster everyone from RBR was so calm, saying it wasn't a big deal at all. They continue to drive around with a very basic aero package which tells me they found some loophole that they will only reveal at Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom