• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaru

I like how Merc is the only team having both drivers put in the work every day because they're expecting to do so many laps.

Mohonky

If I was a betting men, I would bet on Danny Ricciardo or Max Verstappen to get the pole at Melbourne.

Yesterday after the day 1 disaster everyone from RBR was so calm, saying it wasn't a big deal at all. They continue to drive around with a very basic aero package which tells me they found some loophole that they will only reveal at Melbourne.

Its RBR's usual trick; break the rules, plead ignorance and / or differentiation of what constitutes the technical regulation, continue to profit from said benefit till outlawed. They've been doing that sort of shit with flexy wings, 'gaps' as they called them when that area was to have no holes, rubber sprung front noses.

Honda is on a whole different level of shit. First year is fair enough, second year the reliability or at least performance should be there but worked out toward the end of the season. Third year and they still seem to have a fundamental problem with the power unit. Everytime I see a Honda commercial on TV that ends with the McLarens flying past I think ywh thats not confidence inspiring, but I suppose at least the general public here in Aus is probably fairly unaware of what a shitbox that engine is.

Happy to see Ferrari putting in some solid times and lap count. RBR looking pretty consistent too, and they don't even have all the bells and whistles on yet. But Honda...holy fuck. I mean I knew there was zero chance they would bring anything remotely near the front of the grid but this is just shockingly embarrassing.

Brot, I need you to talk me down from the excessive hype train
Mercedes and Red Bull are sandbagging, while Ferrari engineers are busy throwing as many parts out as they can. Morale is always a big thing with the team and nothing says "we're back" as some good old-fashioned speedy glory laps. Please remember their nonsense from early 2016.

"Sergio Marchionne has said that Ferrari are "much more optimistic" about their title-winning chances for 2016."

The best thing you can take away is that the car looks stable on track, that's it.

Fox Mulder

Anybody know if McLaren can get Mercedes engines again?

Bruce McLaren spinning in his grave is providing more consistent torque than the Honda engine.

Mercedes is down a customer team with manor gone and Ron Dennis is out of McLaren. Why not try a Merc engine again.

At least they could be another Williams that way.

operon

Mercedes and Red Bull are sandbagging, while Ferrari engineers are busy throwing as many parts out as they can. Morale is always a big thing with the team and nothing says "we're back" as some good old-fashioned speedy glory laps. Please remember their nonsense from early 2016.

"Sergio Marchionne has said that Ferrari are "much more optimistic" about their title-winning chances for 2016."

The best thing you can take away is that the car looks stable on track, that's it.

I love it

xrnzaaas

Mercedes is down a customer team with manor gone and Ron Dennis is out of McLaren. Why not try a Merc engine again.

At least they could be another Williams that way.

It's probably partially a matter of pride, partially not wanting to have a pretty safe 4th-5th place in the constructors with Mercedes. Thing is unless some major new engine regulations are introduced (and/or Mercedes quits ;)) they are never going to be on top with Honda.

Dilly

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised we're going to see more accidents this year. Cars seem very unforgiving when they get unstable.

KdotIX

ef4d7299-f094-4540-8bc9-85673a6edf09_800.jpg

Alonso: "It's a McLaren!"
Stoff: "It's a shitbox!"

DBT85

Final 2017 Testing Day 2 scores on the doors.
IaDyNwI.jpg

Laps by Team
Mercedes - 166
Haas - 118
Ferrari - 108
RBR - 89
Force India - 86
Toro Rosso - 68
Sauber - 65
Renault - 53
McLaren - 40
Williams - 12

Laps by Engine

Mercedes - 264
Ferrari - 226
Renault - 210
Ferrari 2016 - 65
Honda - 40

Good to see that joke being recycled again this year.
If it wasn't relevant I wouldn't have used it again, but god damn that team is sad. Engine is probably infused with the soul of some eldritch monstrosity. Edit: Lol it's been a joke since March 2015. Holy fuck they've made no progress.
My exact quote February 25, 2016:
While it'll be hilarious, it's also sad.
Bruce McLaren spinning in his grave provides more torque than that fucking engine.

Tubie

Hopefully 2018 is more competitive, this is clearly a dominant Ferrari season.

It's the same cycle every year.

Ferrari looks super promising in pre-season testing.

Ferrari wins or gets podium finishes in the first 3 GPs.

New upgrades slowly make the car worse and worse.

By the time Monaco or Canada rolls around Ferrari gives up on the season and development focus shifts to the 2018 car.

I would love nothing more than to be wrong this year. A real 3 way fight between Merc, RB, and Ferrari would be amazing.

I don't need it to be Ferrari to take the fight to Merc, even though that is my preference. Just someone needs to consistently challenge them race to race.

Ferrari looks super promising in pre-season testing.

By the time Monaco or Canada rolls around Ferrari gives up on the season and development focus shifts to the 2018 car.

I would love nothing more than to be wrong this year. A real 3 way fight between Merc, RB, and Ferrari would be amazing.
Don't forget blame wind tunnel, switch to Toyota's wind tunnel and sack the designer.

Mohonky

C5xRqJwXQAQkHhI.jpg:large

For comparison, 2016:

S1 - 22.370
S2 - 30.779
S3 - 28.736

2010:

S1 - 22.438
S2 - 29.843
S3 - 27.681

Is that 2010 testing laps? If they arent, those times are going to get smashed. Merc and RBR will be sandbagging more than a beachside resort expecting a tsunami.

Ferrari looks super promising in Catalunya.

Ferrari already started the development of the 2018 car in June last year. Joke's on you, ha!

I cannot believe how bad McLaren is.

Alonso must be kicking himself... again. How can a team that has been so consistent for decades be in the bottom/middle pack for several consecutive years?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
If it wasn't relevant I wouldn't have used it again, but god damn that team is sad. Engine is probably infused with the soul of some eldritch monstrosity. Edit: Lol it's been a joke since March 2015. Holy fuck they've made no progress.
My exact quote February 25, 2016:

Bruce McLaren spinning in his grave provides more torque than that fucking engine.

And I bet you thought you'd got away with it...if it weren't for my recollection of year old GAF posts.

It's a great joke, tbf

And I bet you thought you'd got away with it...if it weren't for my recollection of year old GAF posts.

It's a great joke, tbf
If McLaren Honda didn't want to be mocked then they should've produced a better engine. I'll give them the first year, but still having the same problems now is inexcusable. They're like a joke that writes itself at this point. I wouldn't even be surprised if Rick and Morty made fun of them.
I kind of hope Sauber beats McLaren with a 2016 Ferrari engine, lol!
I think if that happens Bruce McLaren would haunt the mens room of the MTC.

Zaru

I cannot believe how bad McLaren is.

Alonso must be kicking himself... again. How can a team that has been so consistent for decades be in the bottom/middle pack for several consecutive years?

The joke is, in his first year at McLaren, the car was competitive for the championship.
But then that McClusterfuck happened. Losing to Hamilton, Spygate....

I wouldn't even be surprised if Rick and Morty made fun of them.

Next season, Rick's vehicle is going to be powered by a cluster of miniature spinning Bruce McLaren corpse clones.

Zaru

Something's odd about Mercedes-powered cars mainly making up the lower half of the speed trap.

Last day of testing: "Alright let's turn on the 6th cylinder now"

Razgreez

Something's odd about Mercedes-powered cars mainly making up the lower half of the speed trap.

Last day of testing: "Alright let's turn on the 6th cylinder now"

Mercedes themselves almost never clock the highest speed in traps since they're more interested in adding extra downforce even if it costs them Kms on the straights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom