• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaru

Brawn's suggesting the idea of a non-championship race per year where they play around with the rules to see what could be good for the sport.

DBT85

Brawn's suggesting the idea of a non-championship race per year where they play around with the rules to see what could be good for the sport.

Great idea tbh. Could actually try a reverse grid or something and it wouldn't matter what happened.

The issue if course would be cost.

Moozo

Sky literally have a dedicated F1 channel but Ted's Notebook has to be put on the website because it ran over... ok then!

Zaru

Great idea tbh. Could actually try a reverse grid or something and it wouldn't matter what happened.

The issue if course would be cost.
Yeah it probably costs more than smaller teams want to afford to show up for an optional race. But there could be ways to make it attractive.

Fox Mulder

NASCAR is always tweaking their format, I admire that.

It's all about the show in the end.

Theorry

Nico Rosberg‏
@nico_rosberg
Good night everyone! stayed in Barcelona to go check out the new cars at the track tomorrow. will be fun. I'll let you know what I think!

dubc35

I'd love the see something like the BMW M1 Procar championship come back. Put everyone (include reserve drivers if they're on site too!) in a Toyota GT86 or something reasonably priced but exciting and let them thrash them. 15 min open qualy and 40 min race or something along those lines.

Mercedes and Red Bull are sandbagging, while Ferrari engineers are busy throwing as many parts out as they can. Morale is always a big thing with the team and nothing says "we're back" as some good old-fashioned speedy glory laps. Please remember their nonsense from early 2016.

"Sergio Marchionne has said that Ferrari are "much more optimistic" about their title-winning chances for 2016."

The best thing you can take away is that the car looks stable on track, that's it.

I just want to believe :(

Zaru

2015: Arrivabene
2017: Partiramale

I don't see Ferrari slipping out of the top 3 this year but the real question is how far away they'll be

Spladam

I'm expecting one of these to be taken off those trailers...
That is freaking sick.
rbrBeauty.jpg

Zaru

Red Bull stirs some shit by accusing Mercedes of using oil trickery to boost qualifying performance.
With this and the suspension issue, F1 politics are as cutthroat as ever

n0n44m

Well last season those Mercedes AMG cars often smoked like they had chosen a new pope when leaving pitlane. Made the Sky reporters fear Lewis' engine was going to blow up (again) everytime lol

tonka

Well last season those Mercedes AMG cars often smoked like they had chosen a new pope when leaving pitlane. Made the Sky reporters fear Lewis' engine was going to blow up (again) everytime lol

makes you think again about "It's not fair!" doesn't it?

Zaru

But remember, Brawn called F1 an oil tanker. It's already moving with a certain momentum, you can only nudge it slowly in the direction you want (I'm paraphrasing)

Understandable because all the contracts and regulation changes are gonna last a few years and changes that affect several companies spending upwards of 100 million dollars aren't easy to pull through.

DBT85

A reminder of the times ahead of Day 3 of winter testing.

Day 1 2017
zPnYKsf.jpg

Day 2 2017
IaDyNwI.jpg

Best time from 2016 day 1 testing
1m24.939

Best time from 2016 testing
1m22.765s

Circuit de Catalunya Race Lap Record
1:21.670 (Kimi Räikkönen, Ferrari, 2008)

Circuit de Catalunya Pole Lap Record
1:19.995 (Mark Webber, Red Bull RB6, 2010)

Circuit de Catalunya Quali Lap Record
1:19.954 (Rubens Barichello, Brawn GP, 2009)

Circuit de Catalunya best time ever recorded - NB: Set during 2008 winter testing
1:18.339 (Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 2008)

Sauber, Renault, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Mercedes all using 2 drivers today apparently.

Wonder if its to do with the extra physical strain?

Mastah

Ooopsie:

Haas F1 Team‏ @HaasF1Team 3m3 minutes ago

Red flag for @JolyonPalmer in the gravel at Turn 3. #F1Testing

Is that 2010 testing laps? If they arent, those times are going to get smashed. Merc and RBR will be sandbagging more than a beachside resort expecting a tsunami.

These are the best sectors from respective qualifying sessions.

BTW. This is inaccurate:

Circuit de Catalunya best time ever recorded - NB: This was during an in season test on the new experimental Bridgestone slicks to be introduced in 2009
1:18.483 (Fernando Alonso, Renault, 2008)

I don't know why websites have it wrong, but the fastest ever lap on that configuration is by Massa, 1:18.339.

DBT85

One team has already been asked to change its suspension after the FIA issued guidlines on them for the season.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128316/one-team-altering-suspension-amid-fia-checks

The FIA intends to inspect all Formula 1 teams' suspension during testing following its warning over trick systems, with one squad already believed to have been asked to make changes.

The development of clever suspension systems that could alter a car's aerodynamics both at high speed on straights and while cornering has been a major pre-season talking point, particularly after Ferrari wrote to the FIA requesting clarification of what was permitted.

It is widely assumed that Ferrari's acton was prompted by a desire to know if systems used by Mercedes and Red Bull were within the rules.

On Tuesday the FIA issued a technical directive informing teams the onus was on them to prove their systems were there for suspension purposes only, and outlining what it felt would contravene this rule.

I don't know why websites have it wrong, but the fastest ever lap on that configuration is by Massa, 1:18.339.

Weird, I'll update!

Interesting looking at the photo from that car. First s duct?

efecf9069fa80074fb8cb3ef44fb892f.jpg

Zaru

10:09 Red Bull screen-watch: the mechanics rush out with the screens, get them into position, then look over their shoulders and realise there is not a photographer anywhere to be seen. All that effort for nothing, sorry fellas.

Hey RB, watcha hidin?

DBT85

10:19 Mario Andretti used to say that the ground effect Lotus 79 was painted to the ground. Well, exiting Turn 2 and into Turn 3, where I am watching, both the Mercedes and the Ferrari look like they are painted to the ground. But, to me, Ferrari has used a better undercoat. It really does look good and super consistent.
Gary Anderson
Happening intensifies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom