• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Orbis

I do not understand how fanboost is still a thing. The same guys always win and it is completely unnescarry since there is close racing regardless. It just gives an unfair advantage.
Yeah I'm surprised it's still around, they wanted to be all 'social media' and cool and I get that, but this was one thing that really doesn't make any sense.

Welcome to 2017, when the official F1 youtube channel posts race highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ekLWzzU5s&t=0m35s

Not only race highlights, but highlights of all sessions, driver responses after the race and a compilation of the best radio messages during the race. So far, Liberty Media has been mostly great. It will be interesting to see how much a subscription is going to be, if they can get it off the ground.

Zaru

Not only race highlights, but highlights of all sessions, driver responses after the race and a compilation of the best radio messages during the race. So far, Liberty Media has been mostly great. It will be interesting to see how much a subscription is going to be, if they can get it off the ground.

While not Liberty's creation, I've really enjoyed all the Grill the Grid stuff - even though the title of that segment has nothing to do with its quiz nature

Is there talk that they're investigating a subscription model? It's such a thorny area for Liberty given that TV rights are their lifeblood.

Personally I would love to see it happen, because in Australia it's AUD$44 per month for a streaming subscription to F1 off the local rights holder, and I can't see an official F1 stream costing that much (famous last words).

TBH the YouTube coverage this season has started to pull me back in, after having lost interest when we lost full free to air coverage in this country.

Chris R

Good fight for the first few laps, cool that Seb finished where he did for the championship.

Glad I went to bed after 8 or so laps though, what a boring race outside of Stroll being a fucking idiot.

Orbis

Is there talk that they're investigating a subscription model? It's such a thorny area for Liberty given that TV rights are their lifeblood.

Personally I would love to see it happen, because in Australia it's AUD$44 per month for a streaming subscription to F1 off the local rights holder, and I can't see an official F1 stream costing that much (famous last words).

TBH the YouTube coverage this season has started to pull me back in, after having lost interest when we lost full free to air coverage in this country.
I would give my left leg for an official streaming solution. But yes I'm pretty sure any one of the various international TV deals would prevent it though.

Mohonky

That was not a good weekend at all for Hamilton / Merc. This should have been a good track for them, instead they lucked out with Vettel having to start last and Raikkonen not at all. Even Ricciardo having to fend off Vettel probably helped Hamilton stay in second.

Not looking good at all for the next few races. They must surely be concerned after this weekend.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Toto for AMuS, rough translation below:

"Our car is extremely sensitive. Whenever it is too hot, we get problems. And when a lot of downforce is required. On this point, Malaysia is the number four in the calendar behind Monaco, Singapore and Hungary. Also the asphalt texture and the driving style play a role. We are constantly learning what our car needs. Here we just did not get it and have been among our possibilities."

Probably a long week ahead for all engineers in Brackley. At least temps will be much lower in Suzuka and tires won't overheat

f0rk

They pivoted to this so quickly, there must have been a team within F1 begging to be able to do youtube coverage for years.

Is there any possibility that Vettel's and Kimi's car were swapped by Ferrari overnight, just replacing the name and driver number on the chassis? Or am I a loony?

Zaru

Is there any possibility that Vettel's and Kimi's car were swapped by Ferrari overnight, just replacing the name and driver number on the chassis? Or am I a loony?

Considering the stringent parts identification the FIA runs on everything, that's about as realistic as Palmer becoming F1 champion

Sounds like Honda will bring Spec 4.0 to Suzuka or Austin with one supply only being made available for the rest of the season, no chance of Vandoorne beating Alonso in his debut season now, this new spec is supposedly Illien influenced with a 40bhp increase over the current 3.7

Red Bull to visit Honda's factory this week

Honda to up their F1 budget by 50% starting next season

By co-incidence I was in Amsterdam this weekend and was actually woken up this morning (heavy night) by people cheering. At the time I sort of though (jokingly) that it was probably Verstappen winning the race or something...

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Apparently, IndyCar drivers Conor Daly and Alexander Rossi are one of the teams competing in season 30 of The Amazing Race. They were spotted at the start of filming in New York City today.

JDB

Banned
Sounds like Honda will bring Spec 4.0 to Suzuka or Austin with one supply only being made available for the rest of the season, no chance of Vandoorne beating Alonso in his debut season now, this new spec is supposedly Illien influenced with a 40bhp increase over the current 3.7
Why wouldn't they give it to the better driver?

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Stroll was simply not paying attention when he went to get more tire pickup. Thankfully, he's much more aware in race situations now.

Fox Mulder

Red Bull to visit Honda's factory this week

Honda to up their F1 budget by 50% starting next season

Gasly 2018 wdc!

I really do hope Honda are great next year for maximum lols and that Redbull will have to run them eventually.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
NextEV renamed to NIO.

Luca Filippi joins as a driver next to Oliver Turvey.

Lots of new names driving in the F-E test at Valencia today; not all of them confirmed to drive during the season as several teams are trying out different drivers. I think Frijns is doing Indycar?

Renault e.Dams - Prost, Buemi
Techeetah - Vergne, LOTTERER
Venturi - MORTARA, ROSSITER
DS Virgin - Bird, Lynn
Panasonic Jaguar - Piquet Jr, Evans
Dragon - JANI, D'Ambrosio
Andretti - SIMS, Da Costa
Audi Abt - Abt, Di Grassi
NIO - Turvey, FILIPPI
Mahindra - Rosenqvist, Heidfeld

Edit: Somehow I had completely forgotten that Andre Lotterer actually drove F1. Albeit for just 1 lap at Spa 2014 for Caterham.

Probably the most interesting thing from the Formula E pre-season test so far is that Jaguar has been consistently up near the top of the timing sheets.

Other than that it's pretty much been the teams you would expect from last year. Techeetah has had a slow start, but that makes sense since they, as a customer team, have had zero test days.

You can find live timing here: http://livetimings.formulaezone.com/

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lots of new names driving in the F-E test at Valencia today; not all of them confirmed to drive during the season as several teams are trying out different drivers. I think Frijns is doing Indycar?

Formula E, the refuge for (Mercedes) DTM drivers :D

DD

Okay, Andretti and NextEV NIO must sort this out:

eTXJ4fI.jpg

9PBeejx.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
While not Liberty's creation, I've really enjoyed all the Grill the Grid stuff - even though the title of that segment has nothing to do with its quiz nature

huuh?
They are drivers on the grid and they are getting grilled(questioned)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
You can tell from all the grass and dirt on the track that drivers have been overshooting the exit of the faux-chicane.

Top Bottom