• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Kuros

Sounds like Honda will bring Spec 4.0 to Suzuka or Austin with one supply only being made available for the rest of the season, no chance of Vandoorne beating Alonso in his debut season now, this new spec is supposedly Illien influenced with a 40bhp increase over the current 3.7

Red Bull to visit Honda's factory this week

Honda to up their F1 budget by 50% starting next season

I bet it will explode. I don't think McLaren would have split with them if not for the reliability.

I bet it will explode. I don't think McLaren would have split with them if not for the reliability.

Honda haven't had issues with reliability since the British GP, they've had Alonso's phantom failure and McLaren manufactured failures, they seem to have got on top of their MGU H bearing issues and have started releasing the power since SPA.

Hasegawa says they ran their qualy map (25bhp boost, first introduced at Monza) for the first time in a race yesterday over the first 8 laps to check if the PU could handle it which it did, so he plans on using this setting for the race in Suzuka.

Progress of PU is clear but still not at level wanted

Next evolution is showing good performance on dyno

Aiming to make McLaren regret their decision

Alonso has special announcement on oct 3rd - this cunt better not be going with Honda to Toro Rosso 😧

what explanation, plausible, explanation is there for Mercedes lack of pace to Renault-Red Bull racing car?! I was completely baffled, this was supposedly a Mercedes track, I believe there's more to it than just a heat sensitive car

Fox Mulder

what explanation, plausible, explanation is there for Mercedes lack of pace to Renault-Red Bull racing car?! I was completely baffled, this was supposedly a Mercedes track, I believe there's more to it than just a heat sensitive car

Malaysia isn't really a power track besides the straights, but then your setup is more downforce anyways. Merc brought a high downforce package, Redbull shine on these tracks, and even the McLaren was looking good.

Razgreez

The only part of the car that actually touches the track (on most occasions) is the tyres. Mercedes couldn't maintain the correct temperatures, especially given the high ambient temps, to keep them in the optimal operating window. The drop off in performance outside of that window is significant compounded by issues of graining and blistering. We're talking seconds not just tenths

Qualifying took place later in the day and Lewis stuck it in pole yet in the race when the temperature was higher he couldn't keep up. The Merc really struggles on high downforce tracks with high temperatures and supersoft tyres, all of which were present at the start of the race. When they were running on softs later in the race the top 3 were running at a very similar pace (Danny couldn't catch Lewis).

Mohonky

Yeh but in those conditions, the Ferrari was monstering everyone.

I wouldnt have though Malaysia to be a high downforce track considering it has a number of longer flowing corners and 2 massive straights, but Merc also reckon their car is super temperamental to temp and tyre choices.

Its something they really need to get hold of, it remonds me of the 2013 car which could punch out a fast quali lap but its race pace was nowhere near its single lap pace.

Already concerned about the rest of the season, if it werent for Ferrari bumbling tye last 2 races, Vettel would easily be out front. Its nice to see some luck go Hams way after last season and 2012 but Merc now they need to be doing better than they are.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ferrari is always good in hot, humid conditions and on softer compounds. Vettel raced with very aggressive engine map and lack of fuel was the reason that he lifted at the end of the race.

Another thing in Malaysia is large number of corner with quite different cornering speeds and this caused havoc to Mercedes tires

I really wonder what will they design for the next season.

Chicanes are reproducing in Valencia, Audi reporting that another one appeared overnight
DLMSh60WkAAcB6T.jpg

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Some new names at the F-E test today:

Michael Benyahia in the Venturi.
Tom Blomqvist in the Andretti.

Jibbed

It’s all kicking off for this Williams seat now!

- Williams testing Kubica back-to-back with Paul Di Resta
- Massa is still in the frame as a known quantity
- Ericsson has some serious money behind his offer
- Mercedes have put forward Wehrlein with some financial perks to offset the Martini contract stuff

xrnzaaas

Ericsson and Wehrnein wouldn't be good picks, but it's William$$$ so who knows. Still keeping fingers crossed for Kubica, it looks like his last chance for 2018.

cromofo

Kubica testing on the 11th at Silverstone and on the 16th at Hungaroring.

The last steps. What a story it could be.

Mohonky

It’s all kicking off for this Williams seat now!

- Williams testing Kubica back-to-back with Paul Di Resta
- Massa is still in the frame as a known quantity
- Ericsson has some serious money behind his offer
- Mercedes have put forward Wehrlein with some financial perks to offset the Martini contract stuff

Williams to run 3 teams

Even as a Hamilton fan I wouldnt like seeing him get penalised for something beyond his or Ferraris fault.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
For the sake of the championship, good news.

To be honest, Ferrari were never going to make this engine that failed last until the last race, so taking the penalty at Malaysia and getting 4th wasn't the worst it could have been.

Still hands the reins to Hamilton and frankly he needs a DNF to make the title race really competitive again.

Still though, this has not been a dominant season by any means and actually having competition at the top is no bad thing.

While they may not be battling at the top next year, the RBR, Renault and McLaren battle of the chassis is going to be absolutely epic.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Contrary to previous reports, Stroll's father has no say in deciding who gets the Williams seat and is fully supportive of the team signing the best driver available.

Aiii

So not worth it
Contrary to previous reports, Stroll's father has no say in deciding who gets the Williams seat and is fully supportive of the team signing the best driver available.

Sure sure, and Lance Stroll got his F1 seat on merrit and not due to his fathers money.

FrankCanada97

Sure sure, and Lance Stroll got his F1 seat on merrit and not due to his fathers money.

He got his F1 seat because of both talent and money. If it was as easy to buy yourself into an F1 seat as you imply, Ferrucci, Gelael, and Mazepin would already be on the grid.

Aiii

So not worth it
He got his F1 seat because of both talent and money. If it was as easy to buy yourself into an F1 seat as you imply, Ferrucci, Gelael, and Mazepin would already be on the grid.

Only Mazepin has Stroll money and you are correct, Mazepin has worse results than Stroll. Galeal comes close due to daddy's sponsorship and is still in the running for that STR seat, but I think that Honda deal might ruin that for him.

Then again, despite Mazepin having the means, his father has not bought top seats for his kid, and top engineers from other teams to help him.

The Stroll spending is rather unique. Sure, only a couple of driver dads are worth billions, but not all dads are willing to sink hundreds million of dollars into private tests, top seats and all just so their son can do what they want.

Mind you, I think Stroll could have gotten a F1 seat a year or 3 down the line on merrit, but they chose to go down this path so he could make highlight videos like dumbest most unusual crashes instead.

FrankCanada97

Only Mazepin has Stroll money and you are correct, Mazepin has worse results than Stroll. Galeal comes close due to daddy's sponsorship and is still in the running for that STR seat, but I think that Honda deal might ruin that for him.

Then again, despite Mazepin having the means, his father has not bought top seats for his kid, and top engineers from other teams to help him.

The Stroll spending is rather unique. Sure, only a couple of driver dads are worth billions, but not all dads are willing to sink hundreds million of dollars into private tests, top seats and all just so their son can do what they want.

Mind you, I think Stroll could have gotten a F1 seat a year or 3 down the line on merrit, but they chose to go down this path so he could make highlight videos like dumbest most unusual crashes instead.
I completely agree, I've always said that Stroll should have done a season in F2 first. He seems to lack confidence and drives too conservatively.

Regardless, Stroll has met my expectations of him for this season. Aside from his brain fade on the cooldown lap, he has mostly kept out of trouble and you can't say the same for some of the other drivers this year.

FrankCanada97

Maldonaldo is many things, but slow and untalented he is not. I would rather have 10 Pastor Maldonados on the grid than 1 Sean Gelael.

Even in that year when Maldonado won a race he was only one point ahead of Senna at the end of the year.
In any of the other years he lost against his team mates.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Watching Formula E day two pre-season test highlights and those cars looks nice on proper racing track :)

And Porsche is already sending some of their mechanics to Dragon racing, so it looks like they will soon announce engineering cooperation with Dragon team.

He is a true artist. The steering wheel is his brush, and broken carbon fibre is his paint. We are not worthy. Some day he will come back and bless us peasants with his craft.
Maldonado prayed to some ancient eldritch deity to win that race and in the process it pissed off Senna's ghost so it decided to set fire to their garage.

Top Bottom