• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

More ESPN info:

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2017/10/04/F1.aspx
F1 will move from NBC Sports to ESPN next year as part of a multiyear rights deal that is expected to be announced later today. Neither side would comment on financials, but ESPN is not believed to be paying a rights fee for the programming and will rely on a world feed to carry the races. The circuit's OTT rights are not part of this deal, as F1 will retain control over those rights -- a position that proved to be a sticking point with NBC, which had carried races on NBCSN since '13. F1 also pushed for a shorter deal length. The circuit, which is trying to build itself up under new ownership, did not want its U.S. rights to be tied down in any kind of long-term deal, sources said.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...rts-spokesperson-on-formula-one-media-rights/
Although we take great pride in having grown Formula One's visibility and viewership since we became its exclusive U.S. media rights holder in 2013, this will be our last season with the series. In this case, we chose not to enter into a new agreement in which the rights holder itself competes with us and our distribution partners. We wish the new owners of F1 well.

Clearly streaming is coming sooner than later.

h3ro

The statement released by NBC has some very intriguing wording...

”Although we take great pride in having grown Formula One's visibility and viewership since we became its exclusive U.S. media rights holder in 2013, this will be our last season with the series. In this case, we chose not to enter into a new agreement in which the rights holder itself competes with us and our distribution partners. We wish the new owners of F1 well."
(emphasis mine)

This pretty directly points to a subscription/'netflix' solution incoming for the world.

Give me Brundle, DC and Bruxton along with a full HD/4K stream and I'm all set. Hell, I'll even take a rebroadcasted Sky F1 feed.

I'll pay whatever they want yearly.

edit - that's what I get for editing. lol

Aiii

So not worth it
Basically Liberty is doing what WWE did when they launched their OTT service. I suspected as much, but good to see confirmation. All new deals are going to be like this, you get TV rights, but we will simulcast online. It will mean significant less income from TV deals, that must be literally killing Bernie back in Brazil.

Tough sell, but in the long run cutting out the middle man (from a dying business anyways) will be better for them.

The toughest will be the next Sky deal, but since they already provide the content for the highlights, I reckon there will be some kind of partnership there.

h3ro

Competing with NBC when half the time it's at dawn in the east coast and the other half is late at night past 1 AM?

Competing for viewers during live telecasts were what they were getting at I'd imagine.

We're a strange lot because the majority of us are up at all these odd hours to watch the races live or at least go into sensory deprivation mode to avoid spoilers until we can catch the replay.

Kalor

The streaming service has been inevitable for a while but I'm super curious who'll they'll go with to present and commentate their coverage. Theres a talent gap coming up in the UK when Channel 4 loses the rights so I wouldn't be surprised if they got DC and some other people. Though they could just go with Sky and pay them a sum for potential lost subscriptions.

Wow, pretty big news.

I don't expect much though. ESPNs last few years with NASCAR were terrible. Bestwick can be ok, but don't think his style fits F1. Buxton has to be jumping ship, either to ESPN or to another country.

Anyways, what does it matter, I'll be watching.
It won't work if they don't figure out a solution for commercial breaks. And if the commentary is poor.

Chris R

It won't work if they don't figure out a solution for commercial breaks. And if the commentary is poor.

If their Indycar coverage is anything to go by the breaks will be split half between real breaks and half side by side coverage.

But I mean they can't be making that much money for the middle of the night timeslots, just show a TON of ads right before the race, have a rotating ad on screen at all time and don't cut from the race since they are so short.

Commentary makes it sound like they might be content with a simple rebroadcast. Wouldn't be the worst, but I think you still need somebody helping the new viewers like Fox has with Formula-e.

akileese

Did anyone else get their Austin tickets yet? I got 3 Day GA so they sent me one of those wrist band deals...and the way it was sent was too small for my wrist. Since they're the ones with those dumb teeth on them I've gotta go through the hassle of trying to expand it.

Staab

Streaming service, even barebones :
- Live FP1,2 &3
- Live Quali
- Live Race, w post interview

30$ a month, i'm down, easy

Now you start adding previous seasons, all interviews, rewatches on demand, multiple feeds and HD cameras from all angles I want ?
I'm going up to 50$ a month baby !

Ready as can be, bring it Liberty

Orgun

- Live FP1,2 &3
- Live Quali

Now you start adding previous seasons, all interviews, rewatches on demand, multiple feeds and HD cameras from all angles I want ?

Yup! If it's even close to the MotoGP service - I'm in

I've thought NBC was fine. They're extremely low-frills but the product has been fine and the announce team have an interesting dynamic.

NBC Sports has become tied up a little too hard in offering traditionally non-American sports on its cable network. It can be hard for non-regulars to catch the races because when applicable they show top Premiere League matches on the main station Sunday mornings and F1 gets booted down to one of NBC's other half dozen non-sports options. Would someone think to check their business news network to watch an F1 race at 8am on a Sunday? Hell no. That's an issue I doubt any other country has and not a problem ESPN would have.

$30 a month for a streaming service would be painful, damn. Would expect to may more than Moto GP's annual package, of course. If Liberty can work out a setup that has full coverage of everything including stuff like the support races I could be interested.

DD

"Be honest, who is the best, you or Senna?"
"I'm Alive"

Jesus Christ.

There's much more. The guys is a maniac. He used to say that Senna used to date boys (the guy scored Xuxa, suck that, Nelson). He even had to go back to the driving school ten years ago because of the insane number of fines he got.

Nelson+Piquet+%C3%A9+vetado+no+tr%C3%A2nsito+de+Bras%C3%ADlia.jpg

Three time Formula 1 champion taking driving lessons.

DBT85

The streaming service has been inevitable for a while but I'm super curious who'll they'll go with to present and commentate their coverage. Theres a talent gap coming up in the UK when Channel 4 loses the rights so I wouldn't be surprised if they got DC and some other people. Though they could just go with Sky and pay them a sum for potential lost subscriptions.

They'll likely use the world feed which is distributed to most people, which is the Sky feed. That's what we used to take at work.

There's much more. The guys is a maniac. He used to say that Senna used to date boys (the guy scored Xuxa, suck that, Nelson). He even had to go back to the driving school ten years ago because of the insane number of fines he got.

Nelson+Piquet+%C3%A9+vetado+no+tr%C3%A2nsito+de+Bras%C3%ADlia.jpg

Three time Formula 1 champion taking driving lessons.
Is Piquet F1's biggest asshole?

Wasn't Schumacher with Frentzen?

EDIT: Prost's case was with Laffite's girl.
I thought Schumacher and Frentzen got their start at around the same time or were in the same junior division? Oohhh....fucking Prost lol. Then I think Piquet insulted Mansell's wife.

Jezbollah

Schumacher and Frentzen were team mates in the Mercedes junior sports car team.

Schumacher's current wife is an ex of HHF.

Shaneus

- Live FP1,2 &3
- Live Quali

I can't remember how much is charged for WEC, but I'd be happy with that pricing scheme.

Verstappen
snr.
Jos can't be that high up the asshole food chain? Granted I'm pretty ignorant on Jos.
Schumacher and Frentzen were team mates in the Mercedes junior sports car team.

Schumacher's current wife is an ex of HHF.
Well shit.
One of Lewis' teammates or rivals needs to start dating Scherzinger.
I vividly remember in 2015 on the podium a drunk as fuck Piquet asked Hamilton where Nicole was.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Jos can't be that high up the asshole food chain? Granted I'm pretty ignorant on Jos.

Jos Verstappen has major issues.

In Dutch: http://www.limburger.nl/cnt/dmf20160727_00022823/opa-verstappen-mishandeling-door-jos-is-broodje-aap

Basically he's been in many brawls. One in where he broke someone's jaw, skull, and eyesocket.
Sentenced for stalking and threatening Max's mother.
Hit his girlfriend.
Hit her again but with a car (imprisoned for 2 weeks on suspicion of attempted homicide, but charges were dropped).
Of course married that same girlfriend afterwards (wut), and divorced earlier this year. Max now has a half-sister named Blue Jaye (wut).
Hit his dad Frans Verstappen (who reported Jos for assault, but later retracted it).
Frans announced he had cancer a few months ago and wishes Jos and Max would talk to him again.

It's like a goddamn soap opera.

Top Bottom