• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Jos Verstappen has major issues.

In Dutch: http://www.limburger.nl/cnt/dmf20160727_00022823/opa-verstappen-mishandeling-door-jos-is-broodje-aap

Basically he's been in many brawls. One in where he broke someone's jaw, skull, and eyesocket.
Sentenced for stalking and threatening Max's mother.
Hit his girlfriend.
Hit her again but with a car (imprisoned for 2 weeks on suspicion of attempted homicide, but charges were dropped).
Of course married that same girlfriend afterwards (wut), and divorced earlier this year. Max now has a half-sister named Blue Jaye (wut).
Hit his dad Frans Verstappen (who reported Jos for assault, but later retracted it).
Frans announced he had cancer a few months ago and wishes Jos and Max would talk to him again.

It's like a goddamn soap opera.
Fuck that dude. Damn.

Hard to tell when you look at the things done by guys like Alonso, Schumacher, Prost...

Legendary assholes.

Didnt Piquet attack Nigell Mansell's wife, Roxanne?
Doesnt get any lower than that.

Ive never considered Prost an asshole. I thought most of the questionable shit he did was in response to some serious antagonism from Senna.
Prost wanted Ayrton at Mclaren and Ayrton came with a mind to divide and conquer.
The rivalry started getting ugly when Senna squeezed Prost against a concrete wall on the high speed straight at Estoril.

NewDust

Streaming service, even barebones :
- Live FP1,2 &3
- Live Quali
- Live Race, w post interview

30$ a month, i'm down, easy

Now you start adding previous seasons, all interviews, rewatches on demand, multiple feeds and HD cameras from all angles I want ?
I'm going up to 50$ a month baby !

Ready as can be, bring it Liberty

I already can geta all of the $30 stuff, plus limited on demand and 6 live feeds for €10 (Ziggo, subsidiary of Liberty)... On top of that other sports. Paying $30 per month for just F1 is crazy.

John_B

A $99 yearly subscription would be perfect. I would gladly pay $149 even. Above that it starts to become too expensive.

DD

In Dutch: http://www.limburger.nl/cnt/dmf20160727_00022823/opa-verstappen-mishandeling-door-jos-is-broodje-aap

Basically he's been in many brawls. One in where he broke someone's jaw, skull, and eyesocket.
Hit his girlfriend.
Hit her again but with a car (imprisoned for 2 weeks on suspicion of attempted homicide, but charges were dropped).
Of course married that same girlfriend afterwards (wut), and divorced earlier this year. Max now has a half-sister named Blue Jaye (wut).
Hit his dad Frans Verstappen (who reported Jos for assault, but later retracted it).
Frans announced he had cancer a few months ago and wishes Jos and Max would talk to him again.

welp

Didnt Piquet attack Nigell Mansell's wife, Roxanne?
Doesnt get any lower than that.
Roseanne. He said that Mansell had the two ugliest women on the F1.

His wife and the statue of his wife he had on his house

Hit his girlfriend.

I really love Max, and I think part of that comes from sympathy for having to grow up with Jos as a dad and all that entailed that. Dude fucking completely sucks.

Not to mention it kinda sounds like he destroyed Max's childhood so that he could relive his successes vicariously through him.

Roseanne. He said that Mansell had the two ugliest women on the F1.

His wife and the statue of his wife he had on his house
Piquet is such a smarmy fucking douche bag. He's definitely the most successful champion that I have no fucking respect for.

SeanBoocock

Neo Member
Did anyone else get their Austin tickets yet? I got 3 Day GA so they sent me one of those wrist band deals...and the way it was sent was too small for my wrist. Since they're the ones with those dumb teeth on them I've gotta go through the hassle of trying to expand it.

Yeah I got mine - 3 day Turn 15 grandstands - last week. My tickets are the same, in terms of form factor at least, as years past.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
EDDVpaC.png

Guess that means ESPN is just going to use the Sky feed? That's what TSN uses in Canada.

Did anyone else get their Austin tickets yet? I got 3 Day GA so they sent me one of those wrist band deals...and the way it was sent was too small for my wrist. Since they're the ones with those dumb teeth on them I've gotta go through the hassle of trying to expand it.

If it's too small you'll have to go to the main grandstands ticket office to exchange for a larger one if it's already "locked." You'll have to bring proof of purchase and that stuff. I had that issue last year when I went GA.

This year I went with a flex ticket to see different parts of the track. Got Turn 15 for friday, Main Grandstands for sat, and Turn 1 for the main event. Last year Spider from Mars showed me the value of buying a seat by sharing a seat he had for the race. It was so awesome and I can't wait for race weekend in a few weeks.

On the NBCSN/ESPN move I'm happy that this potentially will get us better commentators here in the US with the Sky feed. But I can't help but think they need to get Will Buxton to do the track walk next year. He has been the best thing of the NBCSN team. His energy will be missed, but such is progress.

Oh what I wouldn't do for a 4k streaming service.

Chris R

By getting really good commentary? Yeah, you guys are so unlucky.

Does Sky currently cut into the race with commercial breaks? Going to be awkward to cut into the middle of a sentence when it's time to show an ad, and even stranger to come back into the middle of a conversation when it's done 3 minutes later.

Jibbed

Does Sky currently cut into the race with commercial breaks? Going to be awkward to cut into the middle of a sentence when it's time to show an ad, and even stranger to come back into the middle of a conversation when it's done 3 minutes later.

No ad breaks on Sky.

ESPN is gonna have fun with that.

Fox Mulder

Lmao at ESPN. Just going to use the world feed. Okay.

F1 in America getting fucked.

I'm fine with the Sky feed. I've been downloading their broadcasts for years anyways because NBCSN sucks. Buxton was great, but they didn't do shit really.

Sky has great prerace coverage with nice produced bits with drivers or whatever other stuff.

Bo-Locks

I hate the company but I think that Sky's commentary and production has been hard done by around here. It's generally pretty good.

Jezbollah

I love Sky, but they can get a bit whingey and annoying when anything happens to Hamilton.

Especially Ted.

You should have seen Italian TV after the first corner in Singapore. They make any bias Sky have for Hamilton look like nothing.

DD

Piquet is such a smarmy fucking douche bag. He's definitely the most successful champion that I have no fucking respect for.

He says that he did that (and other things like saying that Mansell was a speedy idiot) to get into his mind because he was on a British team with a British driver, so he felt that they would favor Mansell instead of him. He also felt that he had to hide his findings til the last minute so Mansell couldn't copy his setups. He was a genius in his way. He was a master in setting the car and in creating solutions to be faster. He and Gordon Murray were a heaven made match. They invented the tactical pit stop and the tire warmers, for example. He used to use heaters through all the car before going to the track, so he wouldn't wast time heating everything while wasting rubber or anything else. Many of the things done today, basically, he invented.

Ty4on

I had to watch swedish once and it was kinda fascinating how much they spoke about Ericsson waaaay back in the field.

apotema

Press conference right now

Stroll
Massa
Ricciardo

Why is Stroll's uniform different than Massa's? It doesn't have the Martini logo, is this an age issue?

xrnzaaas

Hit his girlfriend.

That's a proper bad boy. :O

By the way if you have an account on Facebook make sure to check out the video on driver's favourite animals. Kimi's response killed me
I used to have a dog, unfortunately it died, but when I was a kid we had a dog
XD

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Why is Stroll's uniform different than Massa's? It doesn't have the Martini logo, is this an age issue?

Yes. Deal with Martini is an interesting one, they demand that one driver is older than 25 years. Where did they found that number?

dl77

Yes. Deal with Martini is an interesting one, they demand that one driver is older than 25 years. Where did they found that number?

What, being 25? It's because some countries have a legal drinking age of 25 so they can't advertise/promote themselves with people under that age.

RSP

With all the shit Jos pulled (and people should know that once his F1 career was over, he basically became a laughing stock because of what he did in his personal life) it's almost a miracle that Max is the calm and composed guy he appears to be.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
NIO and MS&AD Andretti will held talks about livery

What, being 25? It's because some countries have a legal drinking age of 25 so they can't advertise/promote themselves with people under that age.

I couldn't find country with higher legal drinking age than 21, only exception is India.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Everyone's except for Verschtappen...

They've been saying it that way since Jos was the boss. Guess their pronunciations aren't too good after all, then. How is it supposed to be pronounced?

While it's the proper pronunciation in German, I always get annoyed when Crofty says Fettel.

Speaking of Crofty, I remember him being the only one to pronounce Kubica as "Ku beat za". Is that correct? Some people settled on "kyu bic a", but most went with "Ku bitz a".

I also remember Crofty reporting that while Ricciardo stated that his name is technically pronounced "Riccy ar do", he was fine with "Ricardo" as it was easier to pronounce and most people called him that anyway. Crofty continued to call him "Riccy ar do", so I thought it was fair to say that Crofty makes an effort to pronounce the names correctly.

Sloane

Banned
I already can geta all of the $30 stuff, plus limited on demand and 6 live feeds for €10 (Ziggo, subsidiary of Liberty)... On top of that other sports. Paying $30 per month for just F1 is crazy.
Yeah, right now, I pay 25€ for Bundesliga, Champions League, F1, Wimbledon, and a bunch of other sports I don't care about combined.

I think I would consider it if it was, let's say, 100$/€ for the entire season but probably only if I, at the same time, could lower what I pay for football. As much as I like watching sports, I don't really like the "You need half a dozen subscriptions to watch everything" approach that we're already getting in TV / fiction.

Shaneus

Ooh, I think I can get an ESPN sub through my media/tv tuner box. Hopefully it'll include F1 as it's now on some other channel which costs WAY more.

Edit: Probably wouldn't affect exclusivity here in Australia though :/

Aiii

So not worth it
They've been saying it that way since Jos was the boss. Guess their pronunciations aren't too good after all, then. How is it supposed to be pronounced?

You do not say schtop? Do you? This was always so weird to me, it is easy to pronounce.

That they get the a sound wrong doesn’t matter, but why not just use the st sound you always use?

Either way, the a is pronounced as you would an a in UK English, for instance in how you’d say can’t in UK English. For the US folks, imagine how you’d pronounce the slang word stahp.

This goes for both Max and Verstappen, btw.

Top Bottom