• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Avatar Request Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
uwSpr.png

It look so beautiful and AWESOME! Great Job! Thanks!

That artwork is amazing.

h2na8.png
9ZMcl.png

Second one has an actual shadow as opposed to a solid shadow.

Thanks! I don't think I can switch to it just yet, as I'm posting from an iPad. But I'll definitely use it when I get the chance.

Also, it's by Wil Overton, an artist who used to work on a UK Nintendo magazine, but went to work for Rare. He returned to draw that and some other artwork for the very last issue.

Kazzy

Can you post the image, tell me what tool you are using that you are having the problems with and the programme you are using? (I'm guessing pixlr Advanced)

I promise not to make it into an avatar =P I'll have a look and try it myself and see what tools/tips I can give to help you do it =]

Sure, here's the link. Warning, its quite big!

My best effort erased the problem of the black going missing but I couldn't clean up the edges.

You're totally free to avatarize it at this point, if only to stop my tears of frustration.

Toppot

Sure, here's the link. Warning, its quite big!

My best effort erased the problem of the black going missing but I couldn't clean up the edges.

You're totally free to avatarize it at this point, if only to stop my tears of frustration.
Usually having rough edges on a big image doesn't matter when you shrink it down to avatar size. Btw, always cut it out and make any changes, then shrink it down to size, this gives you more detail to play with.

Having said that the black background there is a nightmare to work with, you would have to go round with a Lasso Marque tool or eraser round the whole thing. Not easy, especially for a beginner.

Searching for misaki sawakiguchi on google images I managed to find a much bigger copy of that image with a white background that is super easy to cut out.
http://static.zerochan.net/Sawakiguchi.Misaki.full.1163834.jpg

If you can always just check the first few pages of a google image (Or reverse image) search to try and get a bigger image or clearer one.

I've cut it out to save you some grief. Hopefully my advice will be helpful in future =] If you have any other problems or questions feel free to ask here or you can PM me directly if you wish =]

66nN7.png

can someone make it transparent and gafsized please?
Yes I can, that Mew is adorable! :3

LljnA.png

Kazzy

Usually having rough edges on a big image doesn't matter when you shrink it down to avatar size. Btw, always cut it out and make any changes, then shrink it down to size, this gives you more detail to play with.

Having said that the black background there is a nightmare to work with, you would have to go round with a Lasso Marque tool or eraser round the whole thing. Not easy, especially for a beginner.

Searching for misaki sawakiguchi on google images I managed to find a much bigger copy of that image with a white background that is super easy to cut out.
http://static.zerochan.net/Sawakiguchi.Misaki.full.1163834.jpg

If you can always just check the first few pages of a google image (Or reverse image) search to try and get a bigger image or clearer one.

I've cut it out to save you some grief. Hopefully my advice will be helpful in future =] If you have any other problems or questions feel free to ask here or you can PM me directly if you wish =]

66nN7.png

Thanks, but now I'm going to throw all that goodwill back in your face by suggesting some changes! If possible, is it feasible to pull the image more into the face? I only ask because I've realized how odd it looks trying to fit the whole image into such small dimensions. I guess the avatar size has directly been skewed to make that allowance, sorry about that.

Toppot

Thanks, but now I'm going to throw all that goodwill back in your face by suggesting some changes! If possible, is it feasible to pull the image more into the face? I only ask because I've realized how odd it looks trying to fit the whole image into such small dimensions. I guess the avatar size has directly been skewed to make that allowance, sorry about that.

Haha =P At a certain level you end up having a floating hand on the head, which is a little weird.

Here's a selection, if you have other suggestions or changes just say =]

zzfdv.png
B1ChH.png
NByJv.png
vcWbV.png
E9W5X.png
p9dRe.png

Very serious business!

jerry1594

Pokeballs.png

Big request. Individual avatars for these balls of the size of that dude who has a Pokeball avatar. And just by themselves no alteration.
gsball_.jpg

GS Ball as well, lol. And if there's any I'm missing someone please let me know, not for requests I just like looking at them.

I'm humbly requesting for the background to be removed in this pic, for my new avatar.

Oh, and some drop shadow to the right would be extra-wicked. I can do that on my own though, if needed =)

images

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I would really love to add transparency to my current avatar... but when I try to do it with my crappy editing program it comes out too pixelated.

Here is the original

Ideally I'd like to preserve the white highlight and the darker outline without it looking too pixelated. I wasn't able to do it, so I went with just the crop/resize. If anyone feels like taking a shot I would appreciate it.

edit: I'm not against a soft, thin drop shadow behind the bust and border... if it looks better.

Toppot

I'm humbly requesting for the background to be removed in this pic, for my new avatar.

Oh, and some drop shadow to the right would be extra-wicked. I can do that on my own though, if needed =)

ppkBQ.png
w8Pjq.png
HBWKp.png
YNAjf.png

eFAKH.png
SXKNl.png
kMUYX.png
t88Aa.png

I'll let you do the drop shadow so you can have it exactly how you want it =] I can do if for you if you prefer.

As a bonus here is the full big image of him cut out if you need it
http://db.tt/KFjfr3i3

I would really love to add transparency to my current avatar... but when I try to do it with my crappy editing program it comes out too pixelated.

Here is the original

Ideally I'd like to preserve the white highlight and the darker outline without it looking too pixelated. I wasn't able to do it, so I went with just the crop/resize. If anyone feels like taking a shot I would appreciate it.

edit: I'm not against a soft, thin drop shadow behind the bust and border... if it looks better.

j4VyH.png
F5PaI.png

I can play around with the drop shadow if you have something more specific in mind, lighter, bigger etc.

ppkBQ.png
w8Pjq.png
HBWKp.png
YNAjf.png

eFAKH.png
SXKNl.png
kMUYX.png
t88Aa.png

I'll let you do the drop shadow so you can have it exactly how you want it =] I can do if for you if you prefer.

As a bonus here is the full big image of him cut out if you need it
http://db.tt/KFjfr3i3

j4VyH.png
F5PaI.png

I can play around with the drop shadow if you have something more specific in mind, lighter, bigger etc.

I took the 2nd one - just exactly what i wanted =) much thanks!

Also, how do you do this so fast? For me I'd whip out the old eraser which takes 10-15 minutes for a decent job, but do you have some other sort of faster technique?

Toppot

I took the 2nd one - just exactly what i wanted =) much thanks!

Also, how do you do this so fast? For me I'd whip out the old eraser which takes 10-15 minutes for a decent job, but do you have some other sort of faster technique?

No problem =]

For your avatar number 1 was finding a bigger image to make it easier, a reverse image Google search found the original wallpaper from Rockstar. I then did the bottom half of the image using the Magic Wand, adjusting the tolerance so as not to pick up any part of the character. This didn't work so well higher up so I used the Magnetic Lasso tool to detect the edges automatically as I went around it. I then went round and tweaked the selection a bit where the lasso had gone off line a bit here and there. I don't have to be pixel perfect for avatar images as any little rough bit usually disappears in the 'pixelation' when it is shrunk.

This is in Photoshop CS5, other programs (non Adobe) can vary and lack tools. The speed comes down to knowledge of tools and mostly experience of being able to look at an image and know what will and won't work well for cutting out.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Thank you very much Toppot, looks great.

I was just going to copy the layer, fill "Jill" solid black, move it behind and put a few pixel gaussian blur on it... so it outlined the whole bust evenly (no offset), but the blur comes out crappy... but I like it fine without the shadow. Thanks for doing the transparency.

PK Gaming

Hi.

I've been trying to remove the background on this image

For a while now to use as an avatar, but to no avail. I mean I can get it to work on other sites, but for some reason I always get a white background when trying to use it as an avatar on Gaf. Actually, does anyone mind explaining how to make images accessible for gaf in general?

PS: I don't have photoshop...

Toppot

Hi.

I've been trying to remove the background on this image

For a while now to use as an avatar, but to no avail. I mean I can get it to work on other sites, but for some reason I always get a white background when trying to use it as an avatar on Gaf. Actually, does anyone mind explaining how to make images accessible for gaf in general?

PS: I don't have photoshop...
Gaf will always preview it as a white background on the user profile, because its weird, but in use it should be fine. You may get a white background if you upload a big image that Gaf then has to resize automatically. Best thing to do is resize the image using any free editing program, such as pixlr which you can use in your browser, then upload that.

Anyway. This should work fine.

8Tbew.png

Toppot

I hope someone is not using this as an avatar!

Would someone please be able to avatar-ise it for me? Thanks!

Use this one:
FYkjY.png

Avoid using this one:
fmwmY.png

Don't even think about using this one!
f6tP9.png

I kid =P You can use any you like but the top one looks soooo much better. One with the black border looks ok to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom