• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Avatar Request Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toppot

Could someone make the background transparent on this:
and add a 007 sign on the top left. Thanks.

7C2IA.png

Riggs

Banned
Hey guy's I am really noob at resizing images apparently. I have some pretty decent source material to work from, but everytime I resize to 100X120 or 120X100 it always comes out looking like low quality dog crap. I know I am going to lose some quality from downsizing obviously but I see many gaffers with the same sized avatars but they are super high quality!!!

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I've tried paintbrush/image resizer (actually attaches to windows shell), but no photoshop.

For instance

This is my avatar, and it looks very low quality. Any help would be appreciated, thank you avatar masters.

Tenck

Your image is a bit on the low quality Riggs. I tried cropping and resizing in Photoshop and uploaded on Dropbox so there would be minimal compression. This is what I got.

jLkX8WImdbP3F.jpg

Compared to yours
image.php

You can notice yours is a bit blurry.

Toppot

Hey guy's I am really noob at resizing images apparently. I have some pretty decent source material to work from, but everytime I resize to 100X120 or 120X100 it always comes out looking like low quality dog crap. I know I am going to lose some quality from downsizing obviously but I see many gaffers with the same sized avatars but they are super high quality!!!

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I've tried paintbrush/image resizer (actually attaches to windows shell), but no photoshop.

For instance

This is my avatar, and it looks very low quality. Any help would be appreciated, thank you avatar masters.
It's because you are saving it as JPG, you need to save it (from the original file) as PNG.

7bly0.png
aDxPS.png
yd1Tq.png
krwxd.png

If you HAVE to save as JPG make sure you have any compression down to 0% or quality up to 100%. But no reason not to use PNG.

Riggs

Banned
Your image is a bit on the low quality Riggs. I tried cropping and resizing in Photoshop and uploaded on Dropbox so there would be minimal compression. This is what I got.

jLkX8WImdbP3F.jpg

Compared to yours
image.php

Wow awesome thank you! I know the source photo isn't great but I have some photo's that are really high quality but when I resize it all goes to hell. Any idea why? Is cropping the main trick to maintaining quality when downsizing a photo?

Also usually I use minus as a host I don't think they compress image quality (If they do I'll be switching to Dropbox for this kind of thing). Mainly looking for tips here I guess, thanks again I will use yours.

It's because you are saving it as JPG, you need to save it (from the original file) as PNG.

7bly0.png
aDxPS.png
yd1Tq.png
krwxd.png

If you HAVE to save as JPG make sure you have any compression down to 0% or quality up to 100%. But no reason not to use PNG.

Oh man I should of known better! So even if the original file I find is jpg, I should still save as png eh? TY!!! Will definitely be trying this in future.

Tenck

7bly0.png
aDxPS.png
yd1Tq.png
krwxd.png

PNG, LOL should have been obvious too. Significant improvement in yours.

Edit:
Wow awesome thank you! I know the source photo isn't great but I have some photo's that are really high quality but when I resize it all goes to hell. Any idea why? Is cropping the main trick to maintaining quality when downsizing a photo?

Also usually I use minus as a host I don't think they compress image quality (If they do I'll be switching to Dropbox for this kind of thing). Mainly looking for tips here I guess, thanks again I will use yours.

Continue using Minus. I didn't upload it on my minus because I just upload K Pop images on there :p

Toppot

Oh man I should of known better! So even if the original file I find is jpg, I should still save as png eh? TY!!! Will definitely be trying this in future.

It's ok, you know now =] Yes, even if it is originally jpeg you should save as PNG. As the image is shrunk down anyway the original quality doesn't matter so much as it gets pixelled by being shrunk down. PNG gives you good quality and a small file size on the output of the image after changes. This applying to avatars, in general graphic/web design there would be specific times when you need to save as a jpeg.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Could someone re-size this and try to make the background transparent for me?

s3fje.jpg

Toppot

iCTM2ktJRw5Ta.jpg

can someone make the back ground transparent and crop it so its mostly his head (like 75%) and put a border around him the same color as his sweater.

multiple thanks in advance.

Z9HA2.png
EMbmb.png
bw4By.png
VsHaS.png

Kind of works, if you have any other suggestions or changes you want made just ask =]

EDIT: Some better ones

1pdHk.png
jEyHz.png
ECwmu.png
7lZLc.png
Y2K2f.png

Toppot

omg, thats fast.

much love to you toppot <3 thanks for putting up with my selfish needs.
I'd kept the file open incase you needed any changes, so getting rid of the outline was one click. It's no problem, and your not selfish, your wants are equal to everyone else in the thread =] I'm here to make avatars and make people happy =]

Toppot

Daw, and we certainly appreciate it!
Thanks =] I don't respond to everyones thanks as that would take up a lot of unneeded posts =P But I'll take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone that says thanks, makes my effort feel worth while =]

And on behalf of everyone, thanks to all the other members that makes avatars for GAF as well =] None of us can be here 24/7 and lots of people play a part in making sure GAF has good quality avatars.

tnaden

Hello!
So I've tried to do this myself but I'm not happy with the result.. fortunately this thread seems to be exactly what I need!
(quoted for size)

This is the best source I can find.. Yes a screen dump from the movie..
What I currently have is my attempt at making an avatar out of this amazing M.Bison painting. I'm looking for something quite similar although it's not a requirement for it to look exactly the same (artistic freedom!!).

I appreciate any attempt at making this look good (adjusting colour to more "natural" light possibly?). I understand this is quite a tricky one, best of luck to anyone attempting it!
EDIT:
"Better" light / different angles (not complete shot of painting but maybe useful?):
http://i.minus.com/ie99PIiw4Rka2.png
http://i.minus.com/iX5uhifLA3GrE.png

Toppot

Hello!
So I've tried to do this myself but I'm not happy with the result.. fortunately this thread seems to be exactly what I need!

(quoted for size)

This is the best source I can find.. Yes a screen dump from the movie :/
What I currently have is my attempt at making an avatar out of this amazing M.Bison painting. I'm looking for something quite similar although it's not a requirement for it to look exactly the same (artistic freedom!!).

I appreciate any attempt at making this look good (adjusting colour to more "natural" light possibly?). I understand this is quite a tricky one, best of luck to anyone attempting it!
EDIT:
"Better" light / different angles (not complete shot of painting but maybe useful?):
http://i.minus.com/ie99PIiw4Rka2.png
http://i.minus.com/iX5uhifLA3GrE.png

I've just recut it out myself and played with the colour levels, with wider version. If you want any other changes tweaks just say so =]

Vbnmw.png
ZniJd.png

tnaden

I've just recut it out myself and played with the colour levels, with wider version. If you want any other changes tweaks just say so =]

http://i.imgur.com/Vbnmw.png http://i.imgur.com/ZniJd.png

Oh wow! Already such an improvement from my own version x_x You work quickly!
If it's not too much to ask would it be possible to remove more of the orange/yellow glow the picture seems to have? The blue bluer and the white whiter like so:
http://i.minus.com/iX5uhifLA3GrE.png (this might be an illusion but you get my point)
EDIT: The wider version looks better! *takes*

zlatko

Banned
tFa3A.jpg

Can anyone work their magic on this image? I'd like to try no borders, and a simple black line border too.

Not sure how much of the image I'm trying to capture, but definitely waist up to top of head, and to catch some of the slabs on his back, and possibly the hand touching the nose as well if anyone can make it fit correctly.

Thanks for the help!

drspeedy

Can anyone work their magic on this image? I'd like to try no borders, and a simple black line border too.

Not sure how much of the image I'm trying to capture, but definitely waist up to top of head, and to catch some of the slabs on his back, and possibly the hand touching the nose as well if anyone can make it fit correctly.

Thanks for the help!

do you want to keep the lines in the background?

[EDIT]
Not my best work, but it's a start for you:

sOtnD.jpg
keSVx.jpg

QbfSG.jpg
8Y2qk.jpg

zlatko

Banned
do you want to keep the lines in the background?

[EDIT]
Not my best work, but it's a start for you:

sOtnD.jpg
keSVx.jpg

QbfSG.jpg
8Y2qk.jpg

You sir live up to your name. Hmm could I see the 2nd and 4th image but without the lines in the background like you mentioned? One of those would probably be the winner.

Can anyone make me a new avatar? I want it to be similar to my current one except with less jaggies and with the Patriots logo in the background instead of the Bruins and preferably pointed in the other direction so that it looks like Lyle is looking at my post.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom