• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Avatar Request Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drago

ZyMsQwS.png
ZjDvuW1.png
Qyb8YMn.png
WxhFN2g.png

I love avatars like these, I just don't know the correct term for asking for something like this

Toppot

I love avatars like these, I just don't know the correct term for asking for something like this

Funnily enough I was going to do a post on terminology =P They are my favourite to. Best thing in this case would be to post an example, or ask for something like 'have bits of the characters popping out of a frame', there isn't an official/proper terminology for it, as far as I'm aware. It's an effect or style.

Technically a 'transparent background' should be 'mask out the background'. But most of the time the terminology doesn't matter as makers know what people are talking about. For instance cropping is a specific action, but if someone says 'crop this image' I know they generally mean resize (Or 'scale' to use the proper term =P)

Toppot

So, on the topic of pop outs, can I get this:

Popping out of a transparent box? And keep the aura around it too, if possible. :)

The tricky bit is, what parts do you have sticking out? =P If there is one you like below let me know and I can do it slightly bigger (they are all a bit smaller than usual because of how I 'test' the effect.) If you would like a different size box or different things poking in or out of the frame then let me know to =]

s7fLfcy.png
xMRPQhC.png
uzoFCxk.png

PS I like the term 'pop out'.

Drago

The tricky bit is, what parts do you have sticking out? =P If there is one you like below let me know and I can do it slightly bigger (they are all a bit smaller than usual because of how I 'test' the effect.) If you would like a different size box or different things poking in or out of the frame then let me know =]

s7fLfcy.png

This is fantastic. Thanks a lot :D

FillerB

Don't mind me, just showing some diversity an avatar can have from one image. Just so people don't think the only options are cropped, transparent background and 1 pixel black border =P Which there is nothing wrong with and looks nice.

Another interesting idea which I've seen used by a couple of people is using GAF's differently colored background to have, in effect, two avatars.

ibiGcwELLOLKSL.png
i2sdrw3mPbgoO.png

Unfortunately this can only really be done with simple line art (the thinner the lines the better) and looks horrible on DarkGAF

ieXrKbWk1dzMK.png

Toppot

Another interesting idea which I've seen used by a couple of people is using GAF's differently colored background to have, in effect, two avatars.

ibiGcwELLOLKSL.png
i2sdrw3mPbgoO.png

Unfortunately this can only really be done with simple line art (the thinner the lines the better) and looks horrible on DarkGAF

ieXrKbWk1dzMK.png

Oh yes, a very clever avatar effect. I remember my mind being blown when a guy with a My Little Pony one came in to this thread testing it.

I only have this version showing the effect:
ZPQ5j5m.png

Funny you should mention them not working on DarkGAF, back when my mind was blown and I was experimenting, I made one that only works on DarkGaf =P

2OUlMVy.png

And while we are at 'cool avatar effects' I'd like to mention this avatar:

huiKVIN.png

Someone does/did use right after animated avatars were banned, I thought it was very clever to use an optical illusion as a way of getting round the ban.

Toppot

That's the one. Bufbaf is still using it until this day. On dark gray (showing Rarity) and on light gray (showing Sweetie Belle)

Ah yes, glad to see they are still using it.

A trick that can be done with the thicker line versions of these 'two tone' avatars, is use a 3rd middle colour for the bits where the lines overlap.

One on the left using 2 colours, one on the right using 3 colours:

BvWFZMy.png

It doesn't make a huge difference but looks slightly better imo.

Toppot

Could someone please make a avatar of Gamora's face please.

1. That is a very big image, you could've quoted it =P
2. Not everyone, necessarily, likes the same things as you. 'The girl' is more descriptive than 'Gamora' to someone unfamiliar with the subject =P

Not having a go, just a couple of pointers =]

cj25Tvz.png
KWzpr6p.png
RmCPzLH.png
lBc9DFx.png
xiFDU94.png
5wU1Btv.png

sWGAeDQ.png
U6DHxHG.png
K1LAASN.png
m4zRWyX.png
8OKuNvl.png
omReDxX.png

lcD1Rk3.png
Bz0pVHq.png
HAYdlZN.png
D1xncbf.png
ItkVtLP.png
NfHc59D.png

1. That is a very big image, you could've quoted it =P
2. Not everyone, necessarily, likes the same things as you. 'The girl' is more descriptive than 'Gamora' to someone unfamiliar with the subject =P

Not having a go, just a couple of pointers =]

cj25Tvz.png
KWzpr6p.png
RmCPzLH.png
lBc9DFx.png
xiFDU94.png
5wU1Btv.png

sWGAeDQ.png
U6DHxHG.png
K1LAASN.png
m4zRWyX.png
8OKuNvl.png
omReDxX.png

lcD1Rk3.png
Bz0pVHq.png
HAYdlZN.png
D1xncbf.png
ItkVtLP.png
NfHc59D.png

Thank very much I'll be sure to be more descriptive and remember to quote the image as well.

I'm truly terrible at adding text to small images and having it look good, but can someone please add "Beef wins lol" to this image? I can't make it legible for the life of me on my own.

Tiu4MSE.png

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I need a red/white/gray or black colorway to support my Cincinnati Reds. Anyone down to give me one?

NinjaBoiX

Just a couple more requests peeps. Normal head and shoulders cropped, transparent if poss.

mx2jfVy.jpg

Could you try and get rid of her hand in this one? I'm not sure how well it will work, hmm.

DVnREPF.jpg

prGwDq0.jpg

Can you try and do one with the penguin in shot too?

These last two might need to brightness bumping up a little. All the cool, unusual images look quite awkward to work with. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom