• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Avatar Request Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa22word

If it is just resizing, GAF automatically does that for you when uploading an avatar in your profile.

Oh, cool. I was afraid of getting slapped with that "I didn't know how to make an avatar, laugh at me" thing I used to see floating around. Thanks for the effort though!

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Can somebody (Filler :p) add a UK flag to my avatar somewhere...Im not sure whether he should hold it or it just be in the corner... What ever anyone thinks is best ^_^

Will pay in love as per usual

Toppot

Can somebody (Filler :p) add a UK flag to my avatar somewhere...Im not sure whether he should hold it or it just be in the corner... What ever anyone thinks is best ^_^

Will pay in love as per usual

Luckily I accept love as payment. Maybe Filler will come up with some other ideas to incorporate the UK flag into your avatar =]

567raV9.png
mRvEcv0.png
i0ZMznc.png

FillerB

[IMG ]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrY2Khj7lxLQIA6t2VmM1xvPtmPyVdvXjiPKB9yHTt1X4eFspY[/IMG]

Can someone resize this? Maybe make it transparent if it looks good that way?

iPXiSVasB7Ue7.png
iRDu0KRhwwOEt.png
iUd1lHci1WLRY.png
ija5nUTUqkfzA.png
iybbkI0JowvnK.png

Who's this douchebag? I know I recognize him from somewhere but I just can't place the sheer "oooh look at my glasses. I'm so cool"-ness of him.

FillerB

I have 12GB of RAM so maybe Filler can suggest something :)

How about not giving a shit. 80-90%* of all the avatars we make here get discarded after two weeks anyway.

Alternatively: instead of focusing on speed, make something awesome instead. Ask your girl/boyfriend. It's not how quick you are that matters.

I'm sure Filler can do a better job, he is more artistic than me, I just montage things together xD
That's the first time anybody called me "artistic". I'm not sure how to react to this. Should I be happy or should I be insulted because all the artsy people I know (excluding those in this topic of course) are complete douchebags. Unfortunately I don't know anything about Bioshock. Maybe change the text to something like "Will @!$#@! myself for <Bioshock currency>"

*I pulled this statistic out of my arse.

Toppot

How about not giving a shit. 80-90%* of all the avatars we make here get discarded after two weeks anyway.

Alternatively: instead of focusing on speed, make something awesome instead. Ask your girl/boyfriend. It's not how quick you are that matters.

That's the first time anybody called me "artistic". I'm not sure how to react to this. Should I be happy or should I be insulted because all the artsy people I know (excluding those in this topic of course) are complete douchebags. Unfortunately I don't know anything about Bioshock. Maybe change the text to something like "Will @!$#@! myself for <Bioshock currency>"

*I pulled this statistic out of my arse.

I'd say a lot get used for a couple of months* =P

I think the changes you make to your avatar look great, you actually make the clothes etc a lot of the time, rather than someone like me that just pastes two images together a lot. My apologies if it was seen as an insult or anything.

Toppot

Sorry if this is off-topic, but which resampling method do you use when shrinking an image (assuming you use Photoshop)?

Not at all, all questions are welcome =]. I use the default 'Bicubic (best for smooth gradients)'. I should use 'Bicubic Sharper' for avatars as they nearly always involve downsampling, but then I have to remember to switch it back for other work =P So I just keep it as the 'middle ground'. I sometimes convert a layer to a smart object so that I keep as much information as possible when resizing. Any reason you ask? (Just me being curious now =P)

Not at all, all questions are welcome =]. I use the default 'Bicubic (best for smooth gradients)'. I should use 'Bicubic Sharper' for avatars as they nearly always involve downsampling, but then I have to remember to switch it back for other work =P So I just keep it as the 'middle ground'. I sometimes convert a layer to a smart object so that I keep as much information as possible when resizing. Any reason you ask? (Just me being curious now =P)

I was just wondering since your avatar renders always look so good. :) Also, converting to a smart object is brilliant, thank you!

Toppot

I was just wondering since your avatar renders always look so good. :) Also, converting to a smart object is brilliant, thank you!

Oh you're too kind *blushes* Most of the quality of a look on avatars with transparency comes down to the edges and how 'pixelated' they look. Which comes down to how well you cut them out/mask them.

I shall now whittle on with some tips on cutting out for you and anyone else interested =P

In the real world you would use a layer mask on everything so that you never lose the pixels, you just hide them. But as these are small images and kind of 'fun' jobs I use other methods to cut out.

Number 1 tip: It is nearly always better to do work on the image when its big, then downsize. That way you have more image data to work with and things will generally look smother when downsized.

The Magic Wand is fine and does the job quickly on simple backgrounds with a good contrast to the outline of the subject in the image. Especially if it is a massive image that you are shrinking down later, as any rough edges will disappear when downsampled. Always important to play with the 'Tolerance' at the top to make it less or more picky over how much of a colour it chooses. Also unticking 'Contiguous' is useful sometimes as it will select everything in the image of a similar colour, rather than just spreading from the area you click.

I also use 'Select > Colour Range' a lot, which is like a smarter magic wand, it samples the whole image and you have greater control over how picky it is. Though it will also grab the colour inside the subject, not just the background. Which you can solve by covering up the subject a bit, or using another tool (Lasso or Marque) to then take away from the selection afterwords (When the tools have the '-' on them)

Sometimes the the background isn't simple, in which case something like the Magnetic Lasso tool is a fast way to go around a subject, and then touch up using the other Lasso tools. The normal Lasso and Geometric ones can also be good.

Other times there is no easy way and you just have to go round with an eraser =P In which case a feathered brush is useful to give it a softer edge.

Sometimes it's easier to delete the whole 'thin black lines' some images have around them and then go to 'fx > stroke' and add it back.

Another great tool is 'Layer > Matting > ... ' The 'Remove White Matte' is great for getting rid of the white pixels that tend to hang around an image after you have used a Magic Wand or Colour Range, and 'Remove black matte' likewise for black pixels. I tend to favour 'Defringe' myself as you can select how many pixels around the edge you want to cut in, sometimes White matte would have to be applied 2-3 times and do a rough job, where as choosing 3 pixels with defringe does a much smoother job.

And yeah Smart Object is good if you want to keep the detail to make the image bigger again in futrue, or simply want to make filters or other effect changes to it and be able to take them away at a later time, though for avatar jobs those other properties aren't used so much myself.

A lot of it comes down to experience, being able to look at an image and know what tool(s) will be best. But those are some tips for any budding avatarizers or transparency makers =P

Quick thing.
fg5ZYAs.png

I'm sure Filler can do a better job, he is more artistic than me, I just montage things together xD

Wowzers! RAM is definitely not the issue then =P

That's too creepy, even for me. But thanks ^_^u.

Edit:

i03xhpjX1m7GJ.png

There we go. One Bioshocked avatar. No idea if this is some huge spoiler or not. I'm not familiar with the story.

Thank you very much, I would love if she had the regular outfit and the message said Don't Fuck this Gal. It will be funny because of a certain spoiler in the game :D.

Necrovex

This is a long shot, but I figured why not this a try. Maybe I'll get lucky. I'm cross posting from the Persona community thread:

Also, I have an avatar request! Could anyone create me an avatar of P3FMC and P4MC imitating (ending spoiler for Steins;Gate, though it's more on the final piece of art)
Stein;Gate's final scene when Okabe and Kurisu are facing one another?
I want to embrace my love for both franchise, especially since Zero Escape 3 won't come out until late 2014.

If someone is kind enough (and actually have the knowledge of both source materials) to pull off this avatar. I will be forever grateful, since it will be my main avatar up to month of Zero Escape 3's release (in English)...And well, I'll spice up the avatar during the holidays too. I seldom check this thread, so if you decide to work on this request, simply PM me.

NinjaBoiX

Can someone make me a few avatars out of these? I tried to pick clean, simple images. Just a simple crop around the head and shoulders.

bNN6WME.jpg

J4WyhFI.jpg

vduEInG.jpg

If any of them are easy enough to make transparent, all the better. It's no biggie though, these should work well without. Thanks muchly amigos.

8KTfXZU.jpg

Could you just delete the text from this one, and frame it in the same manner? Just lose some from the bottom to square it up. I guess you might have to cut off the text from her tee? I'm not sure what will work.

Edit: also, could you round the edges of that last one please?

Thanks again ladies and gents.

FillerB

Yes to the first two. The last link is close, but I was unable to find the exact picture online, so I am including the youtube video of that particular scene.

Just to repeat to people who may click this link, this is the *final* moment of Steins;Gate (VN).

I appreciate the post and the PM, FillerB.

I haven't been able to find two images of the characters where they are facing AND are done in the same art-style so this is the best I could come up with.

irn0N8j4rSdVd.png

If you have some images I could use that would be appreciated, if not then this is the best I can do at the moment.

Necrovex

FillerB, you are simply amazing, and you have my fullest respect for your work as an artist, and simply being a legit Neogaf Gent.

Into

Would love if someone took the time to make a avatar out of this:

Animated_Two-Face_2.jpg

Predominately focusing on his head

Would really appreciate it, as it is time to change

Thanks in advance!

Toppot

Can someone make me a few avatars out of these? I tried to pick clean, simple images. Just a simple crop around the head and shoulders.

If any of them are easy enough to make transparent, all the better. It's no biggie though, these should work well without. Thanks muchly amigos.

Could you just delete the text from this one, and frame it in the same manner? Just lose some from the bottom to square it up. I guess you might have to cut off the text from her tee? I'm not sure what will work.

Edit: also, could you round the edges of that last one please?

Thanks again ladies and gents.

X8JIK1F.png
tLrhwxK.png
WuoqIeF.png
t0EmAZS.png

wwDRJtK.png
TsPh2I9.png
GxYTOrA.png
vAJGRLP.png

EgC1OBQ.png
EImipsn.png
SpXEwbu.png
XK5dkK9.png

2mpGv6n.png
saHDDvh.png
0DMiSlj.png
wZrJ9LD.png

tKwowKj.png
OejybF5.png
Z5FL3Fn.png
pSLFAaX.png

WrskBUc.png
6P02wYd.png
eWFOzy7.png
9g5WDrr.png

Is anyone using either of these?
Well the original requester is currently banned and has no avatar and they have used other avatars since, so I guess it's free to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom