• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Avatar Request Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
weekend_warrior said:
When it's a solid background you can use the color selector tool (looks like this
5S6Ta.png
) select the background and use the eraser tool to erase it. Sometimes you have to clean up edges with just the eraser. Save as PNG because JPEG can't do transparency.

When I save it, which options should I select? (ex. Interlacing, save background color, save gamma, etc) Also, does the color tool apply for white backgrounds?

1Mfkw.jpg

RadioHeadAche said:
When I save it, which options should I select? (ex. Interlacing, save background color, save gamma, etc) Also, does the color tool apply for white backgrounds?

ia8W7.png

That's what is looks like for me. I don't think I've ever messed with the png save settings, except for compression level.

weekend_warrior said:
When it's a solid background you can use the color selector tool (looks like this
5S6Ta.png
) select the background and use the eraser tool to erase it. Sometimes you have to clean up edges with just the eraser. Save as PNG because JPEG can't do transparency.

Is that avatar saved as APNG? I couldn't find any program to convert GIF into APNG.

I don't know

Guevara said:
Would anyone be kind enough to make Tallon IV here transparent? I don't know how to handle the glowing blue outline and stars.

[MG]http://images.wikia.com/metroid/images/2/2f/Tallon_IV_Seen_From_Space.jpg[/IMG]

Like so?

JKmlj.png

Clipper

RadioHeadAche said:
None of those options really matter. However, before you can make it transparent, you probably need to add an Alpha Channel (this wasn't told to you before).

My method for going from a .jpg to a transparent .png with GIMP is:

1: Layer...Transparency...Add Alpha Channel
2a: If existing background is solid: Use Fuzzy Select tool (Magic Wand) and click the background.
2b: If existing background isn't solid: Use Scissors Select tool and click around the foreground elements. Once you turn this into a selection (by hitting Enter), use Select...Invert.
3: Hit delete
4: Save as .png using default options

The 'select by colour' tool which was previously recommended is only good if the remainder of the image has none of the background colour. I've done a few with white background and white foreground elements and that tool would select them all rather than just the ones in the background section.

Eversynth

Tiger uppercut said:
This isn't what I was asking for but your effort is astonishing, I'll take it with pride.
3AQmK.gif
yay! :D

Ermac said:
If someone could avatarize this, I would be forever grateful:
A resize and some transparent ones:
YR1gs.png
12FqL.png
8FO93.png
y2mF7.png
XFuGj.png

I'll leave them open in the editor, so if you'd like something different just ask.

overcast

I'm not sure what's going on with the new avatar rules. Anyone care to sum up what I have to do.

Since my last avatar disappeared, can somebody please re do mine.
susan_coffey_red_glasses_red_white_su.jpg

Eversynth

PantherLotus said:
I need a new, non animated avatar. Taking suggestions, freaking out.
PantherLotus said:
Taking suggestions, freaking out.
PantherLotus said:
freaking out.
lSO7W.png
JoCBP.png
p1AEZ.png
Rd9vo.png
prcy3.png
vRaaA.png

EdVRj.png
8etjq.png
x1acc.png
TBZks.png

(yeah the finn avatars are a little quick and dirty, if someone wants to use them I can do a better job)
xbulletholes said:
i was wondering if anyone would be lovely enough to make the background & desk flat eric here is leaning on transparent? thank you!
Uuugh, fuzzy edges! Quick:
NNMMh.png

LosDaddie

Banned
alright, I'm still looking for a replacement for my old Hulk GIF. I think I might want to stay with the MvC2 Hulk theme I had going on:

hulk-wns2.gif

How about an image where Hulk has his fist up?

Or this one:

baseball_logo.jpg

I'm thinking I might go with an FSU logo during football season.

SamuraiX-

4x26q57

Could anyone do a floating head avatar of this one? I'd like it outlined with the same purple from his jersey and possibly add some extra shadowing where possible?

Much appreciated! Free mouth hugs to anyone who can complete my request! :D

Hatty

LosDaddie said:
alright, I'm still looking for a replacement for my old Hulk GIF. I think I might want to stay with the MvC2 Hulk theme I had going on:

cnjFI.png

Eversynth

SamuraiX- said:
Could anyone do a floating head avatar of this one? I'd like it outlined with the same purple from his jersey and possibly add some extra shadowing where possible?

Much appreciated! Free mouth hugs to anyone who can complete my request! :D
ThhoH.png
EsEkP.png
GDLkU.png

fixed

Eversynth

LosDaddie said:

Or this one:[/img]

joIlw.png

:D

LosDaddie said:

hulk-wns2.gif

Didn't see others had already tried this one; this straight-up resizing loses more detail.
2kndzm.png

Or this one:

baseball_logo.jpg

Not so bad.
2a4omti.png

daffy

Banned
Quick self-help question: How do you guys actually go about adding those borders to the avatar?

and also how do you stretch the avatar so that it adds height? nvm solved that one

Eversynth

FTH said:
Quick self-help question: How do you guys actually go about adding those borders to the avatar?
You mean the faces? Well, it's all in the image manipulation software you use... It's an option in almost all of them, some are easier to use than others.
If you mean other kind of borders, well.. depends how elaborate they are. Simple, straight lines are done fastest with the pencil..

daffy

Banned
Eversynth said:
You mean the faces? Well, it's all in the image manipulation software you use... It's an option in almost all of them, some are easier to use than others.
If you mean other kind of borders, well.. depends how elaborate they are. Simple, straight lines are done fastest with the pencil..
Thank you very much for the response! I figured it out! ;)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Could someone be kind enough give mr blanka an aperture sciene pin on his jacket?<3

Aperture_Science_logo.jpg

daffy

Banned
:eek: omi...om...omigosh, can I have both?? Thanks so much!!

EDIT: Definitely want the 2nd, if someone desperately wants the 1st they can have, if not I'ma takin' both!!

Eversynth

Corky said:
Could someone be kind enough give mr blanka an aperture sciene pin on his jacket?<3

logo[IMG][/QUOTE]
I tried, but it becomes too little to distinguish the logo (the writing of course is impossible, lol)...
Example, not-final: [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XnbGe.png

@FTH: go ahead :D

Oooh, new art released! Avatarized:
ffAtC.png
GPY7T.png
kAUHR.png
and not AT:
XIsQI.png
(created from another piece of art by the designer of fionna)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Eversynth said:
I tried, but it becomes too little to distinguish the logo (the writing of course is impossible, lol)...
Example, not-final:
XnbGe.png

@FTH: go ahead :D

yay :D that's awesome thank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom