• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

AMUSIX

commedieu said:
Well as usual.. the folks at turn10 speak louder than the fans trying to defend them. In one of Griswalds last interview he said that when he plays games without rewind, its like they are dated and old. Which is yet another stab at driving games. I honestly do believe Turn10 thinks they are the first to come up with rewind.
This thread keeps delivering...

vanty. said:
It's been confirmed rewind doesn't penalise you in terms of credits gained at the completion of a race I believe. Which is disappointing but no huge deal as it's only singleplayer racing that's affected by it, not time trials or online, both of which are more important.

And where are the folks screaming at the top of their lungs that rewind has no affect on the anyone other than the person using it?
If this is true, it makes it easier for cheaters and scrubs to win money, buy better cars and upgrades, then use them online in races or swaps. How is that fair to a person that chooses not to use the rewind button?
I mean, in Forza 2,anyone could use their souped up career vehicles to race or sell online.

KHarvey16

theignoramus said:
And where are the folks screaming at the top of their lungs that rewind has no affect on the anyone other than the person using it?
If this is true, it makes it easier for cheaters and scrubs to win money, buy better cars and upgrades, then use them online in races or swaps. How is that fair to a person that chooses not to use the rewind button?
I mean, in Forza 2,anyone could use their souped up career vehicles to race or sell online.

Yup, that's what separates the men from the boys in Forza online racing...the number of modifications you can afford. Earning money is hard.

ShapeGSX

theignoramus said:

I really don't care how much money anyone makes in the game. Why would I?

Besides, it will still take a long time for someone to make a lot of money in the career. Even longer if they have to use rewind all the time. If they do it, good for them.

Do you care that people who bought GT PSP and got all the cars in that game will automatically unlock all of those cars in GT5? That seems like a worse issue to me, if you really care about what other people do in a game. Personally, I don't really care.

Melfice7 said:
"Forza motorsport 3 demo, deflector shields not working, crash" :lol :lol I've had similar experiences with the replay feature fucking up and cars moving off course/items and even entire cars vanishing from the replay. this happens when you keep rewinding and playing things over and over again. I've had cars disappear and crashes look like they hit the wonder woman jet :lol

Chrange

Banned
commedieu said:
Well as usual.. the folks at turn10 speak louder than the fans trying to defend them. In one of Griswalds last interview he said that when he plays games without rewind, its like they are dated and old. Which is yet another stab at driving games. I honestly do believe Turn10 thinks they are the first to come up with rewind.

Forza3's "exported" replays use higher polygon models as well. fyi folks.

Fact is this, everyone touches up their game shots. But GT's ingame gameplay/detail/lighting is 99.92% an accurate representation of the Photomode. Forzas isn't. Which is why people made the threads about the lower polygon models on Turn10's own forums. Its not like its even close.

Turn10 shot their mouths off, people said "wait lets take a look". After you look, you see its different than the nonsense Turn10 said. People pretended to be confused what LOD meant. And remember at turn 10...

We dont do bullshots.

That statement alone pretty much seals the argument. Turn10 does do bullshots. They said they dont. Defend away, but Turn10 is Turn10's worst enemy here.

Got something to back that...oh right, this is the 'pull it out of your ass' thread.

Firewire

Banned
It's been confirmed rewind doesn't penalise you in terms of credits gained at the completion of a race I believe. Which is disappointing but no huge deal as it's only singleplayer racing that's affected by it, not time trials or online, both of which are more important.
So it penalises you on the leader boards but not in credits that you can use for cars and upgrades and it also doesn't stop you in terms of progression I assume.

So in GT you have to seriously grind your way to progress and get cars but in F3 you can just rewind your way through.

Seriously this makes me laugh. These two games are so far apart I'm not even sure they should be compared against each other any more.

ShapeGSX

dfyb said:
so i just went and drove the front wheel drive mini into a wall going near 100. i flip it and land back on the wheels because i'm just badass like that, and then i keep driving as if all i did was run over a curb. yeah i'm playing on sim collisions.

Your crash made me curious.

This is what happened when I did it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diGqwApUn6c

I was going over 100 when I hit. I had the gas floored at the end, there. The car wouldn't do more than 6mph.

In fact, I re-did the crash 5 or 6 times after that one, and while the result wasn't always the exactly the same, the car was always badly hurt. Bad enough that finishing the race was going to be painful. Placing any higher than dead last was impossible. While a spike didn't shoot out of my controller and strike me dead, I'd still say that the desired effect of a disabled car was produced.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Firewire said:
So it penalises you on the leader boards but not in credits that you can use for cars and upgrades and it also doesn't stop you in terms of progression I assume.

So in GT you have to seriously grind your way to progress and get cars but in F3 you can just rewind your way through.

Seriously this makes me laugh. These two games are so far apart I'm not even sure they should be compared against each other any more.

I know, Forza 3 is so much more open in terms of accessibility. Now, if you are zomg leet hardcore, you can use your self-control and not touch the rewind button, and play happy go lucky. If you do use the rewind button, in the rare event you need assistance you can enjoy the game at the pace you want, and be penalized if comparisons (such as on the leaderboard) need to be made between drivers.

Boo hoo x person is making more money than me. Its pretty much akin to playing on a lower difficulty setting. The logic behind this argument is "others must have fun the same way I have fun, or else its cheating." How you guys can support this? I don't know.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ShapeGSX said:

I was going over 100 when I hit. I had the gas floored at the end, there. The car wouldn't do more than 6mph.

In fact, I re-did the crash 5 or 6 times after that one, and while the result wasn't always the exactly the same, the car was always badly hurt. Bad enough that finishing the race was going to be painful. Placing any higher than dead last was impossible. While a spike didn't shoot out of my controller and strike me dead, I'd still say that the desired effect of a disabled car was produced.
The only replies your movie link is going to get in this thread is complaints about the crappy physics due to how the Mini rolls back onto its wheels after the crash you know. :lol

dfyb

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
The only replies your movie link is going to get in this thread is complaints about the crappy physics due to how the Mini rolls back onto its wheels after the crash you know. :lol
i did think it was funny that your car turns into a katamari when you flip it on it's back. i'm uploading a video to youtube now showing the crash i described.

dfyb

Banned
ShapeGSX said:

vid of my crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymzVMjE3TfA

ShapeGSX

XiaNaphryz said:

No doubt. :lol

I like pushing the triggers to roll the car back over than resetting the car, though.

There are a ton of Forza 3 videos up at www.gametrailers.com now. One is showing the cat and mouse mode that looks ridiculously fun.

And IGN has an article talking about the online multiplayer options:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/103/1033032p1.html

"If you decide to create your own game type from scratch, there are plenty of options. You can choose the track, of course, the number of AI drivers (yes, you can play multiplayer alone if you're a loser), number of teams and more. And that's just in the basic rules section.

In the advanced rules, you can really get into the nitty gritty. The most important choice is the Scoring Type. This is how Forza 3 determines who wins a match. You can choose time-based, time spent in group, drift points, distance traveled, and keep it clean. For each of these, you can choose if "bigger is better." That means that you could create a "distance traveled" match where bigger is not better. This means that the car that travels the least distance wins. Imagine teams trying to push the opponent's car further down the track. Weird? Yes. But possible.

There are plenty of other options in the advanced rules. Choose the conditions that end a race (number of laps, for example), how the starting grid is ordered, and even a roll out delay from the starting gate. You can assign some of these elements to specific teams, allowing you to have specific players leave the gate early. You can even use stock cars and create your own NASCAR-style race.

Once you have the game type set, you can go even further. Determine whether or not people can use autobrake or stability control. You can even force everyone to use manual transmission. If you're playing a team game, you can set specific conditions for each team, including the body style and car types. Want Asian cars vs. US? It can be done.

Forza 3 has an awesome array of multiplayer options, more than I've ever seen in a racing game before. Probably more than I've seen in any console game before in any genre. So if you like racing online, dust off your racing wheel. Forza 3 is going to rev your engine. "

It's impressive that you guys can argue for 100 pages when GT5 isn't out for 6 months and details are relatively scarce. Fingers crossed that the legions of Forza fans will still be willing to battle it out when GT5 is released, this thread is going to explode.

Firewire

Banned
enzo_gt said:
I know, Forza 3 is so much more open in terms of accessibility. Now, if you are zomg leet hardcore, you can use your self-control and not touch the rewind button, and play happy go lucky. If you do use the rewind button, in the rare event you need assistance you can enjoy the game at the pace you want, and be penalized if comparisons (such as on the leaderboard) need to be made between drivers.

Boo hoo x person is making more money than me. Its pretty much akin to playing on a lower difficulty setting. The logic behind this argument is "others must have fun the same way I have fun, or else its cheating." How you guys can support this? I don't know.
Enjoy at your own pace! Thats how u spin rewind now? OMG you and that Harvey guy should write a book on how to spin shit unsuccessfully.

Seriously GT is a racing sim, I don't even know how to classify F3 anymore.

Shurs

Firewire said:
Enjoy at your own pace! Thats how u spin rewind now? OMG you and that Harvey guy should write a book on how to spin shit unsuccessfully.

Watch dfyb's video, it'll give you some ideas.

Firewire

Banned
igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
It's impressive that you guys can argue for 100 pages when GT5 isn't out for 6 months and details are relatively scarce. Fingers crossed that the legions of Forza fans will still be willing to battle it out when GT5 is released, this thread is going to explode.
Theres no GT talk, they tried to rag on GT5P but when that failed they turned to omg rewind is the greatest and GT doesn't have it.

KHarvey16

Firewire said:

Did you not just go over all the restrictions you expect in a true sim, restrictions that disqualify GT from attaining the title? It's not even fun any more when the opposition is so lacking.

shinnn

Firewire said:
wtf? Forza with the real physics and the real damage and the not so real sim after all.

so GRID is the real sim now? :lol

1zn7a69.gif

dfyb

Banned
ShapeGSX said:
Looks like your engine and transmission happened to escape serious damage somehow. But the car was seriously pulling hard to the right. Do you think you would have been able to win a race like that?
like i said -- my alignment was off. hitting a wall at 100mph (or anything over 40, really) means your front end should be fucked to shit. i think people forget how fragile cars are when they're actually driving.

curbat30.jpg

this is a light accident -- i was going like 30 and ran over a curb after a large pickup turned infront of us in an intersection (pickup was dodging some lady trying to turn left while we had a green light). alignment was messed up, the wheel was bent badly, and the tire was blown -- this car drove worse than the forza car that had just hit a wall dead on going 100mph and flipped around.

and to clarify, i've never said GT does collisions/damage better. both games lose their illusion as soon as you smack something. tire blowout seems like a pretty big oversight for both games.

Firewire

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
Did you not just go over all the restrictions you expect in a true sim, restrictions that disqualify GT from attaining the title? It's not even fun any more when the opposition is so lacking.
What are you on about? You mean the same stuff thats in F3 but now even less a sim with the added touch of "at your own pace rewind"
Give the spinning a rest ya made yourself dizzy dude!

KHarvey16

Firewire said:
What are you on about? You mean the same stuff thats in F3 but now even less a sim with the added touch of "at your own pace rewind"
Give the spinning a rest ya made yourself dizzy dude!

Please, please leave this act to the people who are good at it. This is a sad attempt, and there are plenty on your side more capable than you.

shinnn said:
so GRID is the real sim now? :lol

1zn7a69.gif
This doesn't do anything to help your argument.(One that i agree with), rather it invalidates it and makes you look like a troll by bringing up a ancient gif that we all know is not representative of GT5. There's one with a Subaru out there.
KHarvey16 said:
Please, please leave this act to the people who are good at it. This is a sad attempt, and there are plenty on your side more capable than you.
-_-

Firewire said:
Theres no GT talk, they tried to rag on GT5P but when that failed they turned to omg rewind is the greatest and GT doesn't have it.
You know, it's so telling that you, so ridiculously over the top appraisal of FM3's post-rewind stature ("I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT FM3 IS ANY MORE!") still never explained to me exactly how Rewind will so magically help you make a turn you couldn't to begin with. The only way I can imagine is if you slam on the breaks, a scenario I described maybe what forty pages ago? And that's it's own penalty. You will lose if you handle a turn like that, rewind or no.
I'd love to see you illustrate your obvious hatred of the feature with the same amount of specific detail that I've brought to bear on it's defense.

Firewire

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
The guy is very clearly a fanboy playing a role. The people here trying to have a real discussion at this point are few and far between unfortunately.
Give me a break already, you guys spun rewind saying its limited to this and that and now we know you can earn points with it, open tracks, buy cars and upgrades in career mode! Fuck you never fail unless you want to, you can just keep rewinding doing every event only once. This rewind really is the ultimate assit.

So tell me how this is a sim again?

Fanboy yes! I love GT. But I have great respect for Turn 10, look at what they have accomplished in such a short time frame.

KHarvey16

Firewire said:
Give me a break already, you guys spun rewind saying its limited to this and that and now we know you can earn points with it, open tracks, buy cars and upgrades in career mode! Fuck you never fail unless you want to, you can just keep rewinding doing every event only once. This rewind really is the ultimate assit.

So tell me how this is a sim again?

Fanboy yes! I love GT. But I have great respect for Turn 10, look at what they have accomplished in such a short time frame.

Keep practicing. If only they had a rewind for trolls and fanboys you could disappear into the basement and emerge 10 times the specimen you are today.

mike0513

Banned
I'm not quite sure how people can rag on Forza's physics when GT is the originator of bumper car simulation. I'll end up getting both of them because I have friends on each system, but for real people, both games look great.:lol

Firewire

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
Keep practicing. If only they had a rewind for trolls and fanboys you could disappear into the basement and emerge 10 times the specimen you are today.
Why do you respond with insults? Is it the best you can do.

KHarvey16

Firewire said:
Tell me what exactly is incorrect about my second last post. I asked a question in it as well, an answer would be appreciated.

How is it a sim? It simulates the physics of racing a car extremely well. The game features real life cars modeled to great detail and the ability to modify those cars in a number of realistic ways. You can even race on real life tracks.

Once again, if it's your assertion that assists disqualify it from being a sim then no sim currently exists on any console. You won't say this though, because arbitrary distinctions and straw man arguments are all you need to satisfy your definition of a "good point."

Now go back to practicing.

dfyb said:
Sony released a demo of a racing game, which they didn't know when would be released or if it actually did anything new. the worst part is that some people actually buy into it :lol.

Fixed for facts.

Hey, guys. The first Forza 3 review is out from Motor Trend.

voodoo said:
Best part:
Motor Trend F3 review said:
As for the inevitable "Gran Turismo" comparison: If you have the luxury of choosing between the two titles, you have the luxury to buy both.

Time to calm down and compose yourselves, and look forward to enjoying the fruits of competition in the genre, right?

Zaptruder

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
You know, it's so telling that you, so ridiculously over the top appraisal of FM3's post-rewind stature ("I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT FM3 IS ANY MORE!") still never explained to me exactly how Rewind will so magically help you make a turn you couldn't to begin with. The only way I can imagine is if you slam on the breaks, a scenario I described maybe what forty pages ago? And that's it's own penalty. You will lose if you handle a turn like that, rewind or no.
I'd love to see you illustrate your obvious hatred of the feature with the same amount of specific detail that I've brought to bear on it's defense.

Rewind would certainly help get the late breaking technique down.

Firewire said:

What does grinding have to do with racing sims? Honest question. I never thought that Lineage II was more of a "sim" than WoW because of the grind difference.

Edit: besides, everyone sold that early game rally car prize for 250,000 credits over and over in GT4. Is that cheating too and does that make GT4 an arcade game?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
KHarvey16 said:
The guy is very clearly a fanboy playing a role. The people here trying to have a real discussion at this point are few and far between unfortunately.
Yeah, and you're not one of them.

Alas, Physics are an area both Forza and GT have historically fell down on, they are fine when doing the usual stuff, but throw anomalies into the mix and they fall flat.

Arguing which physics system is better is like arguing whether a dwarf is different than a midget in my view. As for handling, well, they both have their flaws, but I enjoy GTs more, just.
jakonovski said:
Edit: besides, everyone sold that early game rally car prize for 250,000 credits over and over in GT4. Is that cheating too and does that make GT4 an arcade game?
I didn't even know of such an exploit, and if I did, I wouldn't have used it.

Stop trying to justify your attitude towards gaming by assuming everyone else is as bad as you.

Edit: Clarity issues, not trying to offend those who are innocent.

joey_z

Banned
Stop It said:
Yeah, and you're not one of them.

Alas, Physics are an area both Forza and GT have historically fell down on, they are fine when doing the usual stuff, but throw anomalies into the mix and they fall flat.

Arguing which physics system is better is like arguing whether a dwarf is better than a midget in my view. As for handling, well, they both have their flaws, but I enjoy GTs more, just.

I didn't even know of such an exploit, and if I did, I wouldn't have used it.

Stop trying to justify your attitude towards gaming by assuming everyone else is as bad as you.

You say that as if midgets and dwarves are lesser people than others.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
joey_z said:
You say that as if midgets and dwarves are lesser people than others.
No, I mean, to most people, you couldn't tell the difference. (And yes, I do know the difference).

eso76

ShapeGSX said:
It does? That's awesome, if true! Can't wait to make some videos. Where did you see this?

apparently it does, something Che said seemed to imply that.
But so far we haven't seen any exported replay.

We've seen photomode and we've seen gameplay and replays and all the vids we were shown used the same models as ingame / replay although there was always a few closeup cuts on single cars showing the high lod model mixed with actual replays.

The very first E3 trailer for example, uses exactly the same models you race with and see during replays; except that final closeup on the nissan i'd say.

Top Bottom