• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
dfyb said:
does the forza 3 demo even have time trial? i was in an actual race
Go to the leaderboards. Unlimited laps with an empty track, unless you choose to race a leaderboard ghost.

LCfiner

imtehman said:
why do some people care so much about a feature of a game they won't buy, on a console they don't own?

some of the anti-rewind posters here will buy F3 anyway
just so they can troll it objectively

commedieu

Banned
ElNino said:
That's not exactly true. I've had many races in Forza 1, 2 (and even the demo for 3) where I collided with a opponent racer once and after that I had serious engine/transmission damage. The demo isn't quite as punishing it seems as Forza 2 was, but that could very well be just how it is setup for the demo. In Forza 2, you definately could not get away with very much bumper passing.

Agreed. And in other cases, you can bumpercar all around the track and survive terminal accidents. Which is not to disparage Forza, but highlight the fact that you have the ability to cheat in either package. You can get away with it, as you say, not much. But you can. So why is that the bar to gauge a game on? The cheating aspect of the least talented group of players. The whole bumpercar mantra of GT is as if you cant do the exact same thing in Forza or any driving sim really. I like the addition of time penalties and go-kart like engine degrading for off behavior. But even with that, I race with decent drivers who might give a bump every now and then, but we aren't talking using other vehicles to stop from a 100mph straight. Whats the point of playing the game.

Someone asked about my laptimes.

I'm at work but when I get home I'll gladly post them. And I guess that some how qualifies the observation that the divide between rewind is with the Simulation fans and the Arcade/Casual fans.

Granturismostats.com seems to be down as well.

Interfectum

Forza 3 car of the day

5561_cod_day8.jpg

6922_cod_day8.jpg

Are these bullshots or in-game can never tell with Turn 10

Hideous either way

commedieu

Banned
ShapeGSX said:
Photo mode, like the rest of the Turn 10 shots. And the PD shots, for that matter.

All Turn10's shots are bullshots with the increased poly models.

PD doesn't swap out models for photomode. Just increases the anti-aliasing. PD also doesn't swap out the models pre-post race either.

PD's bullshots = more AA... & Replay mode/ingame looks the same.
Forza's bullshots = Non Game assets. Replay/menu is a different world.

Not sure why this is still a question. Turn10 did the same exact thing with Forza2. They are like the developer Epic with their legendary Bullshots of the unreal engine.

ShapeGSX

commedieu said:
All Turn10's shots are bullshots with the increased poly models.

PD doesn't swap out models for photomode. Just increases the anti-aliasing. PD also doesn't swap out the models pre-post race either.

PD's bullshots = more AA... & Replay mode/ingame looks the same.
Forza's bullshots = Non Game assets. Replay/menu is a different world.

Can you get close enough to the car during gameplay (not replay) to actually polygon count in either game?

commedieu

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
PD doesn't use LOD bias?

All games use LOD bias.

PD doesn't swap out the car models when you start a race from high polygon to low polygon.
PD doesn't dim the windscreens of the vehicles in-game either to hide reduced geometry for interiors.
PD also doesn't increase the model detail for the player car in the replay mode either, just added DOF & decreased 30fps framerate due to it.
PD also doesn't swap out the car models in the menu vs gameplay.

Turn10 Does.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ShapeGSX said:
Can you get close enough to the car during gameplay (not replay) to actually polygon count in either game?
You can tell the GT cars are in a league of their own even from afar.

commedieu

Banned
ShapeGSX said:

You can get close enough to read this:

dsc00415zeg.jpg

dsc00419o.jpg

In game, in engine, realtime.

So kinda?

edit:

Oh i see you exclude replay,

Yeah the same detail is in the game. You just have to pin a car in a corner i'd imagine. There are tons of in-cockpit ferrari tailight/headlight videos in the GTCOckpit thread.

You can see it even better if you do the bumper cam.

Interfectum

Yes as commedieu said

Turn 10 screens: car models which have nothing to do with the game + super sampling + effects

PD screens: in game models + super sampling + effects

Turn 10 might as well just take photos of the cars and pass them of as representative of the game since they have just as much relevance as the current screens they're posting

KHarvey16

commedieu said:
All games use LOD bias.

PD doesn't swap out the car models when you start a race from high polygon to low polygon.
PD doesn't dim the windscreens of the vehicles in-game either to hide reduced geometry for interiors.
PD also doesn't increase the model detail for the player car in the replay mode either, just added DOF & decreased 30fps framerate due to it.
PD also doesn't swap out the car models in the menu vs gameplay.

Turn10 Does.

What you're describing as model swapping is LOD.

shpankey

not an idiot
imtehman said:
why do some people care so much about a feature of a game they won't buy, on a console they don't own?
Honestly? Probably because Gran Turismo was such a flagship title on their system in the playstation heyday. In many ways, it pioneered the way for console racing games. So I think the harder core fans of the system, wrapped in nostalgic memories of glory, hate to lose that comforting feeling. The one that made them proud of their baby, the one that when they had friends over who goo'ed and aw'ed at the graphics, put a huge grin on their face. Now to be challenged, and in fact many ways bettered by a competitor is something they're not so ready to accept. This is a title that stood undisputed on consoles back in the day and was a unanimous pick among console racers as "the" title to get. Attacking another competing game serves their purpose to do their part to return the series and the system to the days of old.

If you're truly a fan of sim racing, then it wouldn't matter to you. Which is where a lot of the PC sim racing community comes in. Befuddled by the loyalty to the series and not instead to just the "sim racing" community itself. PC sim racers seem to defend the genre as a whole, instead of any one sim itself, and want to see the sim racing genre move forward as a whole. Which is why I kind of poke and prod GT fans occasionally, myself taking umbridge with the moniker "the REAL driving simulator' as if to discredit anything else out on the market. When in fact, the series has been so far behind the PC sim racing scene that it just made the whole thing laughable. Now to see the GT fans get all perturbed by the word "definitive" from a competitor is just too rich for me to not laugh out loud.

commedieu

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
What you're describing as model swapping is LOD.

And all games use LOD. As I've said.

But all games don't swap out high polygon models at menu/replay/ingame before you even play. Then go on to claim the game has cars with 10x more polygons.

Thats unique to Turn10.

Booshka

commedieu said:

dsc00415zeg.jpg

dsc00419o.jpg

So kinda?

edit:

Oh i see you exclude replay,

Yeah the same detail is in the game. You just have to pin a car in a corner i'd imagine. There are tons of in-cockpit ferrari tailight/headlight videos in the GTCOckpit thread.
Being able to read text on a headlight does not warrant waiting nearly six years for the game. PD's priorities are fucked.

KHarvey16

commedieu said:
And all games use LOD. As I've said.

But all games don't swap out high polygon models at menu/replay/ingame before you even play. Then go on to claim the game has cars with 10x more polygons.

Thats unique to Turn10.

That swapping is LOD. Not sure what the disconnect is here.

At least assure me you don't think you're actually fooling anyone. Can you do that for me?

commedieu

Banned
Booshka said:
Being able to read text on a headlight does not warrant waiting nearly six years for the game. PD's priorities are fucked.

GT1 took 5 years to make, and in all fairness.. PD has released 3 games while working on GT5.

And PD isn't bragging about being able to read headlight xenon bulb details. It just happens to be there.

shpankey

not an idiot
proposition said:
Honestly, I can't tell if Interfectum is genuinely stupid or an incredible troll.

You left out an option...

A.) genuinely stupid

B.) incredible troll

C.) all of the above

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
shpankey said:
Honestly? Probably because Gran Turismo was such a flagship title on their system in the playstation heyday. In many ways, it pioneered the way for console racing games. So I think the harder core fans of the system, wrapped in nostalgic memories of glory, hate to lose that comforting feeling. The one that made them proud of their baby, the one that when they had friends over who goo'ed and aw'ed at the graphics, put a huge grin on their face. Now to be challenged, and in fact many ways bettered by a competitor is something they're not so ready to accept. This is a title that stood undisputed on consoles back in the day and was a unanimous pick among console racers as "the" title to get. Attacking another competing game serves their purpose to do their part to return the series and the system to the days of old.

Final Fantasy. Devil May Cry. Resident Evil. GTA. Now all on 360. Microsoft calls the shots now (not saying this is a positive thing!) in the hardcore segment. Sony has few exclusives fanboys can trumpet anymore. In fact, the only real multi-million-selling-console-moving-exclusive left on the PS3 is Gran Turismo. So of course it gets defended to death. Of course any game that tries to compete with it is going to attract the attention of vicious fanboys.

For racing fans of course which hardware a game is played on is irrelevant. It's all about the software. I've probably spent 80% of my total time playing sims on a Playstation console for one reason: Gran Turismo.

ascii42

KHarvey16 said:
Not the same car.
Yeah, I know. The Chevy's probably a Monte Carlo. I was making fun of the fact that the post implies that they are the same car, since it just says "Car of the Day".

AMUSIX

Yoritomo said:
This entire thread is about assumptions and conjecture. :lol

It's a bunch of people who haven't played an actual forza game vs a bunch of people who haven't played GT since GT4.
funny.

jaypah

imtehman said:
cooL, we rewinded back to graphics comparisons

yes, but only if you're a casual arcade baby racer. the hardcore grown up sim adults are talking about something totally different. you can't see that part of the thread unless you turn all assists off.

beast786

RSTEIN said:
Final Fantasy. Devil May Cry. Resident Evil. GTA. Now all on 360. Microsoft calls the shots now (not saying this is a positive thing!) in the hardcore segment. Sony has few exclusives fanboys can trumpet anymore. In fact, the only real multi-million-selling-console-moving-exclusive left on the PS3 is Gran Turismo. So of course it gets defended to death. Of course any game that tries to compete with it is going to attract the attention of vicious fanboys.

For racing fans of course which hardware a game is played on is irrelevant. It's all about the software. I've probably spent 80% of my total time playing sims on a Playstation console for one reason: Gran Turismo.

So what 3rd Party Exclusive does Microsoft have that rocks or control that segment. Just Damn curious.?

jaypah

beast786 said:
So what 3rd Party Exclusive does Microsoft have that rocks or control that segment. Just Damn curious.?

i think if you read the rest of the post you'll see he meant that Sony lost a lot and MS gained a lot, in respects to 3rd party. which is why he goes on to say that fanboys tend to latch on even tighter to what's left of must-have 1st party exclusives. and any game challenging that spot will be met with harsh fanboy trolling.

also, thread is awesome again. keep it up soldiers.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Booshka said:
GT5P came out 2 years ago. Inflate it more would you.

beast786

jaypah said:
i think if you read the rest of the post you'll see he meant that Sony lost a lot and MS gained a lot, in respects to 3rd party. which is why he goes on to say that fanboys tend to latch on even tighter to what's left of must-have 1st party exclusives. and any game challenging that spot will be met with harsh fanboy trolling.

also, thread is awesome again. keep it up soldiers.

I agree, but neither has any major 3rd party exclusive. MS has SCC, Sony has Agent. Both fanboyz tend to latch on every tighter of whats left. Not just Sony. Atleast from my personal taste sony has an impressive 1st party.

eso76

commedieu said:

dsc00415zeg.jpg

dsc00419o.jpg

You can see it even better if you do the bumper cam.

absolutely impressive but to be completely honest this is still different from the model used in menus. Look at that park assist sensor, for example, it's a lot smoother in menus.

Also, ingame models use yet another lod mesh for cars, You can't really tell because you can't possibly get this close

jaypah

beast786 said:
I agree, but neither has any major 3rd party exclusive. MS has SCC, Sony has Agent. Both fanboyz tend to latch on every tighter of whats left. Not just Sony. Atleast from my personal taste sony has an impressive 1st party.

i like all 3 1st party line ups. which is a Godsend since i have all 3 consoles. and yes, fanboys do what fanboys do. but looking at the long heritage of GT it's not surprising that Forza gets trolled harder. it's also not surprising that a lot of Forza fans have respect for GT; PS1 and PS2 were sales beast and a lot of Forza players probably started on GT and probably still play it. it's still the top dog for console racing games.

imtehman

Banned
beast786 said:

it does, but coming from you, a person that doesn't even own a 360(going by your profile) it doesn't mean much

beast786

jaypah said:
i like all 3 1st party line ups. which is a Godsend since i have all 3 consoles. and yes, fanboys do what fanboys do. but looking at the long heritage of GT it's not surprising that Forza gets trolled harder. it's also not surprising that a lot of Forza fans have respect for GT; PS1 and PS2 were sales beast and a lot of Forza players probably started on GT and probably still play it. it's still the top dog for console racing games.

well I dont know who gets trolled harder. I do know that Che is alot more vocal than any other CM, I dont see PD saying antying about Forza. Hence if your fanboy takes leads from the top, its not a doubt that Turn10 is much more aware and flamebate than PD.

To be honest they are not even competing with each other. If you are 360 or PS3 only user you will end up buying the respected game no matter what.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
beast786 said:

As jaypah said (thanks!) I'm not making any comment about which console has the best lineup. That's totally subjective.

What I was trying to say is the industry had a mindblowing shift of power this generation. Nintendo was a turd. Now it's a diamond. Sony dominated. Now they're third (and will probably not make a dime this generation). MS was fledgling. Now they're second. So for a fanboy who bleeds Sony it's tough (just as it was tough for Nintendo fanboys to witness the Cube's fall or Sega fans to see the death of the Dreamcast).

What do you do when your beloved console is trashed by the media and rejected by consumers? You hold on to what's left with all you got and defend it to the death.

Again, to clarify, not a comment about Sony. The console industry is volatile. Microsoft could blow up next gen and we'll all be laughing at their hopeless fanboys. Nintendo could implode (as they have in the past).

So just play great games wherever they are :D Take a pill, relax. Enjoy a bit of Forza. Enjoy a bit of GT. Enjoy some Sonic. Enjoy some Mario.

cakefoo

imtehman said:
If you looked at my live gamercard you'd see that one of the last games I played before selling my launch 360 was Forza 2, and I had 846/1000 Achievements. Also, Forza 3 in October and GT5 not coming til '10 was a reason for me to consider getting a 360, to the point I had it in my online shopping cart, but I was disappointed to find that it was out of stock. I wound up thinking more about it, and decided not to bother waiting for it to come back instock, because I just bought a Wii and there are plenty of games to play on that and PS3 right now, and in the next couple months I'll just be REALLY swamped.

I was mistaken in thinking there would be any objective discussion going on in this thread. But I should have predicted, almost everyone in the Forza camp is defending rewind, and it's just Sony trolls criticizing it:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...s-Gold--Demo-Launches-on-September-24.html#11
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...s-Gold--Demo-Launches-on-September-24.html#23

It's a 360-centric site, with very dedicated 360 owners as you can tell by their high gamerscores. I guess they're just trolls who have no intention of buying the game though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
cakefoo said:
I was mistaken in thinking there would be any objective discussion going on in this thread.
That should have been obvious from the thread title when it was created. :lol

cakefoo

XiaNaphryz said:
That should have been obvious from the thread title when it was created. :lol
Clearly I must be doing something wrong, because I've also been labeled a troll of Killzone 2 and GT5:p, so that just goes to show you how intolerant I am of defensive fanboys who get in my way.

Yoritomo

cakefoo said:
Clearly I must be doing something wrong, because I've also been labeled a troll of Killzone 2 and GT5:p, so that just goes to show you how intolerant I am of defensive fanboys who get in my way.

Courage-Wolf-BE-UNBIASED-HATE-EVERYTHING.jpg

Top Bottom